The OTTB Wrestling News thread

Options

Comments

• BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Prolem with Roman is two things imo and most others

1) No character deveplment. Move on from the shield. Or at the very least tell us why you still using it. (Holding on hope that your brothers will reunite)

2) his story doesnt match him. He shouldnt be an underdog. His story should be of a guy trying to live up to his family name and continue the legacy of greatness. THAT story is beleivable or even trying to make it in the biz w/o relying on his family name. Doing it on his own.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon apparently wants the upcoming WrestleMania 32 event to be the start of "several years" of Roman Reigns in the company's top spot that was formerly held by John Cena.

According to the report, "the plan is for Reigns to go over and be the top babyface in the company for years to come."

The overall attitude within WWE is that it doesn't really make a difference if the fans boo Reigns because, as is evident with Cena, cheers and boos aren't damaging to the babyface of a franchise such as WWE, and diverse reactions from fans can often be seen as a good thing since they can launch stars to bigger levels of business. However, it's also well known that Reigns is not as big of a star as Cena, even though his merchandise numbers are good.

Reigns does nothing well and is average at best at everything all he has is a look.

U don't think he's improved into a good worker?

He's still average at best in the ring.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    They should turn Roman heel that's the only way to salvage him at this point. Let him beat down Ambrose similarly to what HHH did to Reigns, then let him get on the mic for weeks and just start ripping into the fans. Say ? like "you guys booed me when all I did was try to entertain you, now I don't want your approval, you live in your moms basement, you haven't been with a woman since you came outta one, I look better than y'all, I can take your girlfriends, I'll touch your wife and dare you to do something" etc, months of that type of ? as well as him being a bad ass will eventually get the crowd to back him again, because then the crowd will think he's entertaining.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vince McMahon wants WrestleMania 32 to be the start of several years of Roman Reigns in the top spot formerly held by John Cena.

“As of right now, the plan is for Reigns to go over and be the top babyface in the company for years to come,” Dave Meltzer states in this week’s edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The company attitude is that it doesn’t matter if fans boo him. It isn’t the late eighties and WWE’s success isn’t tied to one wrestler on top. The WWE brand is what drives money and most fans will find something to like. John Cena is living proof that boos or cheers aren’t damaging for a franchise babyface, and if anything, the diverse reactions could be a good thing. It certainly propelled Cena to huge levels of business. He’d get booed out of the building each week while drawing significantly more money than anyone else.

Reigns, however, is not as big a star as Cena. The audience at Fastlane and at Raw booed him heavily when he’s supposed to have his most momentum building to his big win. His merchandise numbers are good, but nowhere near Cena level.

Read more: http://www.pwmania.com/wrestlemania-32-to-be-the-start-of-several-years-of-roman-reigns-dominating-wwe#ixzz41HZp9ynN
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon apparently wants the upcoming WrestleMania 32 event to be the start of "several years" of Roman Reigns in the company's top spot that was formerly held by John Cena.

According to the report, "the plan is for Reigns to go over and be the top babyface in the company for years to come."

The overall attitude within WWE is that it doesn't really make a difference if the fans boo Reigns because, as is evident with Cena, cheers and boos aren't damaging to the babyface of a franchise such as WWE, and diverse reactions from fans can often be seen as a good thing since they can launch stars to bigger levels of business. However, it's also well known that Reigns is not as big of a star as Cena, even though his merchandise numbers are good.

Reigns does nothing well and is average at best at everything all he has is a look.

U don't think he's improved into a good worker?

When it comes to being the franchise player in ring is irrelevant. It's about having charisma and a personality which hate him or love him Cena had in spades. Reigns can't even be moved past the tired ass Shield gimmick and theme due to his lack of engagement outside the ring.

The only star making quality he literally posseses is "the look" and that alone won't cut it. He got the charisma of a wet mop and personality of a plank of wood right now.

I think we cant his charisma cause they not letting him be him...point blank

Remember..Uncle Dwayne SEEMED boring af too....

And I dont really think that DB was a big ball of charisma or personality either...his underdog story is what got him over...

Charisma is an allure though. It's not something that could be learned. You either have that aura about you or you don't.

DB had a shitload of charisma. He lit up any room he walked in. I think you're confusing personality with charisma. DB did have a boring persona but his charisma and in ring prowess cancelled it out.

Jeff Hardy had zero personality. His persona was boring as ? . But he had charisma up the ass so you couldn't help but be drawned to him during his matches. Dwayne also always had charisma even whe he had his ? gimmick. He felt like he belonged in front of a camera. Roman thus far has not. Weird too cause his pops and uncle were also super charismatic as the Wild Samoans.
  • CJBachelor85
    CJBachelor85 Members Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do you get 100,000 people to cheer Reigns?

You can't. Lol.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate Romans mic work, he's worse than Cena. He talks so cheesy. He says triple H's name weird, sounds like a 2 year old. Twiple H. His promos aren't organic like Ambrose or Wyatt are.

He's improved in the ring, though. Like above says, needs a backstory as to his shield explanation and a reason as to why he does what he does. Giving him more of a background and working on his delivery of promos would help him greatly.
  • CJBachelor85
    Options
    Prolem with Roman is two things imo and most others

1) No character deveplment. Move on from the shield. Or at the very least tell us why you still using it. (Holding on hope that your brothers will reunite)

2) his story doesnt match him. He shouldnt be an underdog. His story should be of a guy trying to live up to his family name and continue the legacy of greatness. THAT story is beleivable or even trying to make it in the biz w/o relying on his family name. Doing it on his own.

That would make more sense with him wanting to do it on his own. Be his own man (nh) without relying the whole "he is Rock's cousin". Really mean that ? when with this whole One Vs. All. I still would like for them to turn him into this guy that really could 2 ? what the fans think. Throw in sly remarks to toward the crowd. Play off how the crowd is reacting to you instead of trying to please them. ? that.
  • CJBachelor85
    Options
    Man, I hate when he does that fist pump ? before the superman punch. The crowd even knows it is corny cuz that is when they really boo him
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should turn Roman heel that's the only way to salvage him at this point. Let him beat down Ambrose similarly to what HHH did to Reigns, then let him get on the mic for weeks and just start ripping into the fans. Say ? like "you guys booed me when all I did was try to entertain you, now I don't want your approval, you live in your moms basement, you haven't been with a woman since you came outta one, I look better than y'all, I can take your girlfriends, I'll touch your wife and dare you to do something" etc, months of that type of ? as well as him being a bad ass will eventually get the crowd to back him again, because then the crowd will think he's entertaining.

but if he does all this he'll start getting cheered
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's all it is. Idiots want to turn him heel so they can like him. Weirdos
  • 5th Letter
    Options

That's the objective so once that happens you can turn him back to face with the fans behind him.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And that's why Cena will never be a heel. Fans will cheer most likely. I just don't understand certain wrestling fans sometimes.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

That's all it is. Idiots want to turn him heel so they can like him. Weirdos

He can say the same ? and still be face. I think the reason why he sucks is cause he lacks confidence and it shows. He wears a x men vest to cover his stomach and doesn't sound sure of himself during promos.

Shawn Michaels and Rick Rude use to say the same smark ? and win fans. Creative can sneak a heel in there that's an even bigger as whole to make him face again. The key is giving him a favorable edge. A cross between Michaels and Austin could work for him but he ain't confident enough to pull off promos for that.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »

And that's why Cena will never be a heel. Fans will cheer most likely. I just don't understand certain wrestling fans sometimes.

last year even when lesnar was babyface, the crowd would boo everytime Paul mentioned Brock ending the streak

I remember listening to a podcast and a fan suggested cena (if he wasn't injured) turning heel at the rumble and winning it, thus tying stone colds record for most rumble wins and flairs record for most world title wins in one night. can you imagine the heat dude would receive from the crowd, regardless if he's face or heel? but cena trolling the crowd week in week out and claiming to be the greatest of all time would be the icing on the cake

in an era where fans are too smart for their own good and love to go against the grain for the sake of it, you have to hit a soft spot for a heel turn to truly be effective

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited February 2016
    Options

last year even when lesnar was babyface, the crowd would boo everytime Paul mentioned Brock ending the streak

I remember listening to a podcast and a fan suggested cena (if he wasn't injured) turning heel at the rumble and winning it, thus tying stone colds record for most rumble wins and flairs record for most world title wins in one night. can you imagine the heat dude would receive from the crowd, regardless if he's face or heel? but cena trolling the crowd week in week out and claiming to be the greatest of all time would be the icing on the cake

in an era where fans are too smart for their own good and love to go against the grain for the sake of it, you have to hit a soft spot for a heel turn to truly be effective
    Yeah they'd catch real heat alright when fans burn down the WWF building in Stamford.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if cena turned heel like that...

they'd cheer the absolute ? outta reigns when he beat him at WM........
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »

if cena turned heel like that...

they'd cheer the absolute ? outta reigns when he beat him at WM........

Naw

They would go wcw on them and throw trash in the ring lol

Crazy ? lol
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    They'd boo both of them.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell, even Cena was a decent heel for a while on smackdown
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Austin knows what he's talking about. Foley, Hunter, Rocky and himself started as great heels right before becoming top faces. Don't ? with a proven formula.

They're trying to follow the Hogan formula with a PG era. It just won't work.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve Austin on why roman reigns needs to turn heel:

“I predicted this all along. The kid has got to have a heel run before he’s going to be universally loved because that’s just the way that I see it. I’ve always said that I think the guy needs to be a heel first, but, nonetheless, that’s not my call. That’s the booking committee’s call or Vince’s call. That’s what’s going to make it fun again because everybody is going to be so onboard with booing him! I’m telling you, once he goes through that process, whether that takes one year, two years, whatever, then, they’re going to end up loving the guy.

To me, it’s like Vince chose this guy and he’s sticking with him. Whatever the fans think, whether it’s the smart marks, or the casual fans, or the fervent fans, I don’t know. He’s sticking with this guy and I don’t know. He’s not going to pick another guy because he has so much invested in this guy, so he’s got to keep riding him, but he could ride him in a different direction, but you can’t back off the gas pedal. Babyface or heel, you’ve got to keep the pedal to the metal with this guy because if you don’t, he will become an also-ran immediately.”

Austin went on to say that he doesn’t think the fans booing Roman Reigns is Reigns’ fault, and he genuinely thinks Reigns is a “good dude” who has the support of the WWE locker room.

Spot on, it's crazy when us cats who aren't in the biz have the exact thoughts of those that have been through it
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    what if making RR the top baby face is just so Cena turns heel