How you feel about Chris Rock's ? vs Black People Stand Up?

Options
LPast
LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
How you y'all feel about this in 2015? Before you give your opinion on how it makes white people think, How do you feel about it personally as a black person?

https://youtu.be/51vFbsZkhXU

How you feel about Chris Rock's ? vs Black People Stand Up? 46 votes

Agree
28%
S2Jsouth4lifeaneed123vagrant-718spit_fiyanirvanaaaMister B.TheBoyRoWhoisDonG???SplackavellionetoughmiracleAP21TheGOAT 13 votes
Disagree
17%
Africa UnitedTrillaaaaaaCabana_Da_Don7figzdesertrain10_Goldie_UndefeatableThe Iconoclast 8 votes
It's just comedy.
54%
yellowtapesport5th Letterjonovicvallinillestni99ainneThe Lonious MonkShuffingtonlamontbdcnujerz84BDBIIDNothingButTheTruthIgot5onitLou CypherTrillfateNoCompetitionLUClENsaracenwirerapmusiccannonspike1994Rubato Garcia 25 votes

Comments

• yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    It was funny.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    One thing about him I saw an interview years ago and they were asking him about something he said in one of his standups and he was like its just jokes. They can be thought provoking to a point but all he's doing is telling jokes.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Disagree
    It was a good special but there were a few things he said that I disagree. The first one to come to mind is when he acted as if the media plays no part on how black people are perceived , not only in the states but around the world. Saying stupid ? like "it aint the media , ITS THE ? !" smh.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was hilarious.

Ill say its just comedy.. but comedy is not just comedy because white people...well people.. take the commentary as fact and or the supreme example of whats... this and that.. especially when it comes to us.. I can agree with his overall sentiment..
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    White people took it as gospel I know that much.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    I think Rock summed it up in terms that was best understood for that time period.

I think now, we're at a point where speaking in that context only shifts the narrative and gradually leads to
    "what about black on black crime".
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    It was a good special but there were a few things he said that I disagree. The first one to come to mind is when he acted as if the media plays no part on how black people are perceived , not only in the states but around the world. Saying stupid ? like "it aint the media , ITS THE ? !" smh.

true to an extent....like he says if you out late night in the hood looking over your back you ain't checking for the media. you checking to see if ? out lurking
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    Why is 'just comedy' even an option? Cop out.

You either agree or you dont, bc homie really believed what he was speakin.

"? give you more credit for gettin home from jail than graduating college "

Foh. ? wasnt no "comedy". I agreed with him then and I agree now
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Disagree

I honestly never really found Rock or that joke funny growing up...or even now

Just always rubbed me the wrong way

Sure, Rock was joking, but I see that for many he was reinforcing this idea that "? " aren’t just unworthy of basic levels of respect, they deserve open contempt and ridicule. They are the reason racism exist...

? to say the least

And counterproductive

Racism sees no distinction between "black people" and" ? "

• desertrain10
    Options
    Disagree
    Mister B. wrote: »
    One of the best comedy routines done. He crushed that ? . I play that ? once a week on my iPod.

"I ain't lookin' over my back for the media....I'm lookin for ? !" Ted Koppel ain't never took ? from me....? have."

Wait...

So you agree with the notion certain black people are not worthy of basic levels of respect and deserve everything that comes to them?
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree
    It's an abomination, and a blot on his career. If you can't see this, you have not given this race ? as much thought as you think.

• Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? or black ppl don't shoot at the movie screen for one

You really can't have ? around ? though- gotta agree, ? will steal or ? will hate or get jealous

? do want credit, at least the ones I know

But he hit it on the head

? love to not know LMAO..bruh that ? burns me up...smh

? don't care about welfare, white folks are the ones shaking in their boots

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe he said he regret ever doing that skit because of how people took it and the way racists refer to use it as a solid proof of what they are doing is good for the betterment.

It was funny to the lower mind, but in reality it's bad and doesn't support what we been through how we became like this and why this was even made in the first place.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    Eveyone got a lil turn up and turn down in em
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

No, we are not all perfect.
    No, our race, or ANY race, are not all bastions of hope and beacons of light

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

But does that change its purity of the message or how YOU view it?

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

If 2nd Childhood suddenly became famous, does that change how YOU feel about it

So when Nas says:
    Baby girl she's always talkin name droppin hangin late
    Drinkin smokin hates her baby daddy, craves shoppin
    E poppin Ecstasy takin, won't finish her education
    Best friend she keeps changin, stuck with limitations
    Lustin men, many hotels, Fendi Chanel
    With nothin in her bank account frontin she do well
    Her kid suffers he don't get that love he deserve
    He the Sun, she the Earth, single mom, even worse
    No job never stay workin, mad purty
    Shorty they call her the brain surgeon
    Time flyin she the same person, never matures
    All her friends married doin well
    She's in the streets yakkety yakkin like she was 12
    Honey is twenty-seven, argues fights
    Selfish in her own right, polite, guess she's in her second childhood

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sure, Rock was joking, but I see that for many he was reinforcing this idea that "? " aren’t just unworthy of basic levels of respect, they deserve open contempt and ridicule. They are the reason racism exist...

? to say the least

And counterproductive

You're the type of person who has ruined entertainment. ? damn, what a weak ass society we have today. Rock's whole routine went over your head.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    Just comedy.

Im a fan of Chris Rock.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

No, we are not all perfect.
    No, our race, or ANY race, are not all bastions of hope and beacons of light

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

But does that change its purity of the message or how YOU view it?

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

If 2nd Childhood suddenly became famous, does that change how YOU feel about it

So when Nas says:
    Baby girl she's always talkin name droppin hangin late
    Drinkin smokin hates her baby daddy, craves shoppin
    E poppin Ecstasy takin, won't finish her education
    Best friend she keeps changin, stuck with limitations
    Lustin men, many hotels, Fendi Chanel
    With nothin in her bank account frontin she do well
    Her kid suffers he don't get that love he deserve
    He the Sun, she the Earth, single mom, even worse
    No job never stay workin, mad purty
    Shorty they call her the brain surgeon
    Time flyin she the same person, never matures
    All her friends married doin well
    She's in the streets yakkety yakkin like she was 12
    Honey is twenty-seven, argues fights
    Selfish in her own right, polite, guess she's in her second childhood

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.

That's why I had to preface the poll by saying "don't tell me about what white people think". Sometimes we don't have an opinion without involving white people.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From a typical Americanized euro indoctrinated POV it made sense (yeah context) but once you have some degree of enlightenment or consciousness it doesn't make as much sense.

In other words, when I was younger mentally I thought it was pure comedy. Now that I've matured mentally I see it differently.

But he's a comedian who did a comedy skit from whatever his frame of mind was at the time. Can't expect everyone to be deep or be on the same level of consciousness in every thing they do.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Disagree

? to say the least

And counterproductive

You're the type of person who has ruined entertainment. ? damn, what a weak ass society we have today. Rock's whole routine went over your head.

Lol @ the joke going over my head

No, I think my post went over you head

Or maybe it touched a nerve