How you feel about Chris Rock's ? vs Black People Stand Up?

Options

Comments

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Disagree
    I took it as comedy never expecting how many idiots would take that ? and run with it.

Trying to distinguish themselves from other Black people... smh
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Agree
    Ok seriously, how did 20 people say its just comedy? ? Lmao Yall ? weak man

You either agree or you dont, theres no way you can think its 'just comedy' with the level of truth in it, the honest commentary nature of Chris Rock material, and the fact that bit has been dissected many times and we're talking about it TWENTY years later

But let us bring up Chapelle Show. ..oh no that's not comedy. That was GENIUS
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    White people took it as gospel I know that much.

He's said that's his only regret about that joke is white people coming up to him saying how much they love that bit.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i laughed then......and will laugh when i watch it again this weekend
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    WE get it. He defines it perfectly, but when I went to a white college and had a white guy come up to me and try and repeat how he agreed with Chris Rock it reinforced exactly how I felt when I first heard it. It's funny, he's funny but that ? 's funny and not to be taken too seriously
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

He's said that's his only regret about that joke is white people coming up to him saying how much they love that bit.
    Damn.....same ? that led to Chappelle s breakdown
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree
    S2J wrote: »
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

No, we are not all perfect.
    No, our race, or ANY race, are not all bastions of hope and beacons of light

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

But does that change its purity of the message or how YOU view it?

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

If 2nd Childhood suddenly became famous, does that change how YOU feel about it

So when Nas says:
    Baby girl she's always talkin name droppin hangin late
    Drinkin smokin hates her baby daddy, craves shoppin
    E poppin Ecstasy takin, won't finish her education
    Best friend she keeps changin, stuck with limitations
    Lustin men, many hotels, Fendi Chanel
    With nothin in her bank account frontin she do well
    Her kid suffers he don't get that love he deserve
    He the Sun, she the Earth, single mom, even worse
    No job never stay workin, mad purty
    Shorty they call her the brain surgeon
    Time flyin she the same person, never matures
    All her friends married doin well
    She's in the streets yakkety yakkin like she was 12
    Honey is twenty-seven, argues fights
    Selfish in her own right, polite, guess she's in her second childhood

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.

How do u get away with not being called a ? by these folks?

Well im not one so that helps, but im also too honest and they know im right. I say what people not bold enough to say. Also they know they arms not long enough to box lls Typical reaction when i post:

258bf345_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

? know i got these bars

Lol

You're not nearly as smart or enlightened or as bold as you think you are

Bc you're a woman people are afraid to tell you this:

When it comes to 'debates', you're an ? .

And i say that in the spirit of fairness bc i'd tell the same to a dude who posts like you. You should be flattered Im addressing you as an equal and not tiptoeing around your ? , aka patronizing you

Stop rage debating with ? logic and flawed rebuttals

The only thing your good for is for laughs

Which is cool, it's the I.C.

Thing is most are at your expense

I will admit you are right about one thing, in no way are we equals

And thank gawd, I love being able to actually articulate my thoughts without having to resort to childish name calling

Who the ? says "? " besides prepubescent white boys?

• R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We all knew what he was getting at with this bit. The absolute worst types of people took it in the exact way you'd expect them to, though.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree
    jono wrote: »
    I don't really like Chris Rock and I don't believe all comedy or entertainment should be taken seriously, in fact most of it is just what it is...entertainment.

While I don't like that "? " exist, they do exist. Now you can blame circumstances, white supremacy or whatever you want but I'm just as black as the guy who sells dope to someone who is just as black as himself. Im just as black as the thugs who shoot at kids or shoot at each other. Im just as black as the people who shoot up clubs here in Detroit damm near every weekend.

That said, what super special white supremacy affects them but has no effect on me or the majority of other Black people?

The vast majority of Black folks dont and dont even consider doing the ? these "? " do.

They exist, it is what it is. You want to blame white folks? Fine but ignoring niggerism and constantly excusing ? ? isn't helping and won't help.

I had a cousin who told me he would rather rob than work, when did white folks send that memo out because I swear me, my friends, brothers and other cousins didn't get it. He a ? ? ...period. If he wasn't my cousin I could be on the list.

I have another cousin that DID rob another one of our cousins and she was ? during the robbery (home invasion) by his homeboys who he brought with him. No white people were involved...except the cops who arrested his punk ass.

What super special white supremacy made this ? happen?

Smh. I expected better from you. White supremacy created the ghetto, and the ghetto created those individuals. There is a direct causal link between white misdeeds and the conditions that create these individuals that you are talking about, though whether any given individual criminally offends or ends up being a stereotype is result of multiple factors. You have an impoverished understanding of how the past can affect the present.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    I don't really like Chris Rock and I don't believe all comedy or entertainment should be taken seriously, in fact most of it is just what it is...entertainment.

While I don't like that "? " exist, they do exist. Now you can blame circumstances, white supremacy or whatever you want but I'm just as black as the guy who sells dope to someone who is just as black as himself. Im just as black as the thugs who shoot at kids or shoot at each other. Im just as black as the people who shoot up clubs here in Detroit damm near every weekend.

That said, what super special white supremacy affects them but has no effect on me or the majority of other Black people?

The vast majority of Black folks dont and dont even consider doing the ? these "? " do.

They exist, it is what it is. You want to blame white folks? Fine but ignoring niggerism and constantly excusing ? ? isn't helping and won't help.

I had a cousin who told me he would rather rob than work, when did white folks send that memo out because I swear me, my friends, brothers and other cousins didn't get it. He a ? ? ...period. If he wasn't my cousin I could be on the list.

I have another cousin that DID rob another one of our cousins and she was ? during the robbery (home invasion) by his homeboys who he brought with him. No white people were involved...except the cops who arrested his punk ass.

Smh. I expected better from you. White supremacy created the ghetto, and the ghetto created those individuals. There is a direct causal link between white misdeeds and the conditions that create these individuals that you are talking about, though whether any given individual criminally offends or ends up being a stereotype is result of multiple factors. You have an impoverished understanding of how the past can affect the present.

There are hundreds of thousands of blacks in the ghetto, millions even and only a handful of them are that ignorant.

Michael Eric Dyson and his brother grew up in the same house here in Detroit, one got a PHD the other went to prison.

Why is that?
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    Disagree

There are hundreds of thousands of blacks in the ghetto, millions even and only a handful of them are that ignorant.

Michael Eric Dyson and his brother grew up in the same house here in Detroit, one got a PHD the other went to prison.

Why is that?

You are betraying your ignorance b.

People are different, that's why.

But this doesn't mean that in other circumstances his brother would not have lived a normal, law-abiding life.

Social conditions can have an affect without affecting everyone whom it affects in the same way -- i.e. without leading to the same outcome.

What you are saying is like saying since some poor people don't commit crime, poverty couldn't possibly have an affect on crime. And that would be a silly thing to say.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's just comedy.

Why is that?

But this doesn't mean that in other circumstances his brother would not have lived a normal, law-abiding life.

Social conditions can have an affect without affecting everyone whom it affects in the same way -- i.e. without leading to the same outcome.

What you are saying is like saying since some poor people don't commit crime, poverty couldn't possibly have an affect on crime. And that would be a silly thing to say.

I didn't say anything of the sort. You are implying that these social conditions are so debilitating that it impedes personal choice but as I have bolded you know you are wrong.

People choose to be criminals. No matter how many conditions you want to identify selling drugs, robbing people, ? people is all still a choice.

If millions living under the same conditions can manage to not make those choices then you looking at a personal failure on their part.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Disagree
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    look in that crowd
    it's damn near 100% black
    he was talking amongst his people and speaking real ?
    was there a bit of hyperbole? sure
    but y'all know the "? " he was referring to

the ? that ? eachother over senseless ?
    the ? who killed that child weeks ago because they had a beef with his father
    the ? that steal from others who worked hard for what they have
    the ? that are shamelessly ignorant
    the ? who sell drugs to their own killing their community
    and so on

are we really giving these ? a pass? why can't we call them out? ? hurting our "image". they're hurting us

Whoa chill, the white man made them ? that kid. White supremacy made them steal that TV.

They have no choice....

We can all agree no race has a monopoly on ignorance, but "? " didn't just sprout independently

No one said that...

look in that crowd

and so on

are we really giving these ? a pass? why can't we call them out? ? hurting our "image". they're hurting us

Whoa chill, the white man made them ? that kid. White supremacy made them steal that TV.

They have no choice....

...subscribing to this distinction between "? " and "blk people" separating their shortcomings from the racism and other forms of oppression that produced them is dehumanizing

People are not "produced" ...

Circumstances can provide significant obstacles ... But we are not our circumstances.

look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

It also does nothing to address the conditions which produces "? "

Definitely true.
    But a comedy skit does little at all besides entertain.

What CAN do something, is shifting the overall mindset to not make excuses for the "? " destroying our communities.

YES, white supremacy is the leading contributing factor. But we are not helpless ...

And EVERYTHING is not the "white man's" fault

You all are being disingenuous when you say it's just a comedy bit, it's nothing

Not to say Rock said anything new or that his words had some profound effect on the world

But I've observed far to many non blks use that routine to reaffirm their assumptions of black life and culture

And I never said we are helpless

Nor am I justifying criminal or self destructive behavior

Just driving home the point that people are not just born one way or another....there's other factors involved

Factors which impact the choices we make, our decision making process

Stop conflating an explanation with justification

And i don't believe there is this host of bad blk people who refuse to get their ? together and would rather bring every other black person down with them than to pick up a book

I do however believe that a lot of blacks often times lack the resources to overcome issues such as mental illness, learning disabilities, diaese, physical disabilities, poor nutrition, substance addiction, trauma, etc because they were born poor and black

In some our neighborhoods, same as with some Jewish and Italian neighborhoods during the prohibition, we see rampant violence as a manifestation

I also believe if we do things like bring decent jobs, after school programs to these communities and address substance abuse things will change for the better, including ppls mindset...

That will require a united front, so it can't be us vs "? "

But we've discussed this before ad nauseam

Let's just agree to disagree

You're not gonna convert me

I'm not joining the ihateniggas club you've assembled here
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Disagree

Why is that?

I didn't say anything of the sort. You are implying that these social conditions are so debilitating that it impedes personal choice but as I have bolded you know you are wrong.

People choose to be criminals. No matter how many conditions you want to identify selling drugs, robbing people, ? people is all still a choice.

If millions living under the same conditions can manage to not make those choices then you looking at a personal failure on their part.

Wasn't dyson a gang member at some point and unwed teen father?

Your underestimating how much our surrounding environment influences our actions and decisions

Sure not everyone from inner city Detroit, for example, chooses to engage in violence and delinquent behavior, but that proves nothing

Ppl respond differently to the same stimuli

It's largely because are all different and have our own unique experiences that largely shape our personalities and outlook on life

Also have to factor in a person's mental health, home life, intelluctally, etc
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    Chris rock stopped performing this joke because it justified racists
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

No, we are not all perfect.
    No, our race, or ANY race, are not all bastions of hope and beacons of light

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

But does that change its purity of the message or how YOU view it?

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

If 2nd Childhood suddenly became famous, does that change how YOU feel about it

So when Nas says:
    Baby girl she's always talkin name droppin hangin late
    Drinkin smokin hates her baby daddy, craves shoppin
    E poppin Ecstasy takin, won't finish her education
    Best friend she keeps changin, stuck with limitations
    Lustin men, many hotels, Fendi Chanel
    With nothin in her bank account frontin she do well
    Her kid suffers he don't get that love he deserve
    He the Sun, she the Earth, single mom, even worse
    No job never stay workin, mad purty
    Shorty they call her the brain surgeon
    Time flyin she the same person, never matures
    All her friends married doin well
    She's in the streets yakkety yakkin like she was 12
    Honey is twenty-seven, argues fights
    Selfish in her own right, polite, guess she's in her second childhood

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.

How do u get away with not being called a ? by these folks?

excuse me sir..
    but i call him ? damn near every chance i get. lol
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ignorant loud welfare animals
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    Sensitive ain't the word for what's going on in here.....some of y'all are mentally frail.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree
    There´s stupid people in all colors.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

We can all agree no race has a monopoly on ignorance, but "? " didn't just sprout independently

No one said that...

look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

...subscribing to this distinction between "? " and "blk people" separating their shortcomings from the racism and other forms of oppression that produced them is dehumanizing

People are not "produced" ...

Circumstances can provide significant obstacles ... But we are not our circumstances.

look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

It also does nothing to address the conditions which produces "? "

Definitely true.
    But a comedy skit does little at all besides entertain.

What CAN do something, is shifting the overall mindset to not make excuses for the "? " destroying our communities.

YES, white supremacy is the leading contributing factor. But we are not helpless ...

And EVERYTHING is not the "white man's" fault

Let's just agree to disagree

I'm not joining the ihateniggas club you've assembled here

Lol. So now, I "hate ? " ... Because I hold them accountable for their actions?

Who is conflating who's words?

But you are right, let's just agree to disagree...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's just comedy.

It gave white people the excuse to say vile ? about black people but when you call them out they pull the ? /black people argument out of their ? .
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree

It gave white people the excuse to say vile ? about black people but when you call them out they pull the ? /black people argument out of their ? .
    Did it? Since when did saltines need an "excuse" to be racist, especially in the 90s? OJ beatin his trial gave them all the "excuses" they needed.

Stop with this Stretch Armstrong ? .
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Agree

In-what-world!?!?! Lls

What ? white people are yall around bringing up black people vs ? ? They ingest it just like everything they do, they EAR HUSTLE. They digest it on the low, make judgements and feed already racist thoughts, and keep that ? to themselves.

In that vein, this bit is no different from Nas lyrics, truthful hood movies, or anything made for "us" that gets out to them.

So new questions and maybe threads:

Was Boyz n the Hood coonery?

Was Menace 2 Society coonery?

Was Friday coonery?

Exposing street violence, gangs, and unemployment in the black community ??

Foh.
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    Disagree

Why is that?

How would you explain higher rates of black crime? Does it just so happen that black people "choose" to commit more crime than whites and other races?
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand why some people are upset with what Chris Rock pointed out in the standup but like most of his jokes they have a bit of truth to them. Of course he was a bit extreme with some of his commentary but the reason it resonated with so many blacks folks is because of the simple fact that it rang some what true.

The guy grew up around that ? just like I'm sure a decent amount of the people posting did and he stated what he seen through out his life. Chris also points out how all other types of folks are ? up also and isn't afraid to talk on social issues. He is one of my favorite comedians of all time because of this. Even a lot of his movies he star's in touch on a lot of this stuff which most likely is the reason they never do too well overall because he speaks on social issues.