How you feel about Chris Rock's ? vs Black People Stand Up?

Options
124»

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    Mister B. wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    White people took it as gospel I know that much.

He's said that's his only regret about that joke is white people coming up to him saying how much they love that bit.

It gave white people the excuse to say vile ? about black people but when you call them out they pull the ? /black people argument out of their ? .
    Did it? Since when did saltines need an "excuse" to be racist, especially in the 90s? OJ beatin his trial gave them all the "excuses" they needed.

Stop with this Stretch Armstrong ? .
    You know what I mean, but to expound. They pretty much lump us as one and then when you call them out they claim they aren't talking about all black people only "? ".
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's just comedy.
    LPast wrote: »
    Once you say it gives white people an excuse, you have lost all credibility. White people don't need an excuse.

Your basically saying black people can't have an opinion because white people might agree.

Are you playing dumb or are you dumb? Do you think I literally meant that it gave white people an excuse?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a politician says this, it's ignorant and ? ridiculous.

But you have to give entertainers and especially comedians a license to exaggerate for the sake of entertainment and int his case comedy.

If you're looking for Chris Rock to provide deep insight and context to a serious issue it is you and your community that has the deeper issue. Not him.

He's a comedian. He made a joke. That's really all to it.

Lastly, he's already said thats the joke he regrets the most in his career because whites used it as an excuse to be racist.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree
    From reading these comments I don't think I would be able to hang a out with a lot of y'all because I feel like I would probably be looked down on

Bougie ass ?
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    I agree with alot he said.
    I see people getting uptight about it but, Paul Mooney said ? that was worse and some of it was the butt naked truth.
    Larry The Cable Guy does ? like this, comparing white people to rednecks.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely real spit by Chris Rock. @S2J dropped solid points as well as a few others.

That sketch was honestly funny. I love black people, I cant stand ?
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    My problem with this thread is simply this: keep that sensitive, PC ? to things that have come out recently. Don't try to retroactively ? things up just to fit it with this new, pussified world we have to exist in now. At the time, Rock's routine was one of the best in 90s. I'm basing my appreciation for off that.

I understand that if that skit came out now, a whole rack of house/scared sobbing their eyes out, callin Rock all types of "coonage" and ? . (which would've been stupid as ? to do, anyway.) But, for that time period, this ? was right on the $$$.