• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks including Will in any type of way even a cameo woulda doubled the box office takings even higher than it would with this current film? Just for nostalgic reasons?

Maybe internationally but American audiences don't give a ? about Will Smith like that anymore. Besides that 50 million they saved I'm sure went into the effects budget which is never a bad thing for a movie like this.

Like that overseas money don't count. LOL

Since Bad Boys 1 he's only had 3 movies that didn't get to the 100 million mark and all the ones that did do 100+ did at least 140 million.

Not like the domestic money does. International money alone doesn't really do ? for a studio's bottom line because they don't see most of it. Even when they do their own international distribution and don't use an outside party.

Though when factored with their domestic profit their international percentage helps them get a quicker ROI which is why such an emphasis is now being put in securing a solid international box office performance.

So international money counts

Yes but on average studios only get about 15% of it when it's all said and done so it's also not as major a factor as domestic box office. At all.

That ? don't sound right, b. You mean to tell me that Avatar, which did like 2 billion international, the studio only saw 250 million of that.

There are exceptions like Avatar that make more than average cause of it's circumstances. The same studio distributed it all over the world. That's not usually the case with tentpole pictures.

So factored with what they made off their perventage of the domestic 760 million dollar gross (which was even more than what they got overseas) plus what they made off home video and licensing deals adds up to a very hefty profit plus their percentage of the international box office made Fox well over a billion in profits.

Which is about right for a movie which made almost 3 billion globally with Fox as the main distributor in all markets.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going.

I basically see every movie that come out since it's so cheap to catch it at 11am around my way.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Was this shot with IMAX cameras? cause if not I'll just settle for a standard screen.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm goin to see it. Love the 1st one.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independence Day Resurgence reveals the fate of Will Smith's Steven Hiller

independenceday-1.jpg

You might’ve noticed that Will Smith’s Steven Hiller wasn’t featured in the Independence Day: Resurgence trailer. That’s because the actor wasn’t able to come back for Roland Emmerich’s sequel. So, how did the filmmaker write out his character? Thanks to a new website created to promote the film, we now have an answer. (Warning: Spoilers below, if you’d rather not know.)

Warof1996.com offers an interactive look at the events that followed the first Independence Day leading up to Resurgence. Scrolling through the timeline at the bottom to 2007 will reveal a breaking news item with the headline, “Alien Tech Malfunction Kills Col. Hiller.”

The report reads, “While test piloting the ESD’s first alien hybrid fighter, an unknown malfunction causes the untimely death of Col. Hiller. Hiller’s valor in the War of ‘96 made him a beloved global icon whose selfless assault against the alien mothership lead directly to the enemy’s defeat. He is survived by his wife Jasmine and son Dylan.”

Fox also released a video promoting the site that features a series of news broadcasts voiced by Jeff Goldblum’s David Levinson. Watch it below.

Vivica A. Fox reprises her role of Jasmine for Resurgence, while Jessie Usher protrays Dylan. They are joined by Bill Pullman, Liam Hemsworth, Maika Monroe, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Angelababy, Sela Ward, and more. In Resurgence, humanity uses recovered alien technology to improve their defenses in case of another invasion. Unfortunately, they are still unprepared for what’s coming.

Emmerich told Cinema Blend earlier this year that he wanted Smith to reprise his role, but the actor was tired of doing sequels and he already had a sci-fi film at the time, After Earth.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Will wait until hits kodi

Superhero movies and star wars the only reason why I'm goin to the movies
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder if they will mention the ? who took out that big mother ship
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder if they will mention the ? who took out that big mother ship

Maaaan he went out like a G
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This move looks cool but it's sooooooo serious .
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the trailers I seen looks like the ex President won't make it
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the trailers I seen looks like the ex President won't make it

I'm guessing he's gonna sacrifice himself to get some answers
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Lucky you. Nothing's worse than having a girlfriend that has ? taste in movies.

She slept thru Apocalypse... kept waking up mad the movie was still going...
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »

I did the same to my ? the last twilight movie... I was stationed up at McChord up in Seattle she was from off one of them Native American reservations so she was into that ? . I fell asleep and woke up about 3-4 times movie felt like it lasted forever
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? looked awful
  • Max.
    Options
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »

I did the same to my ? the last twilight movie... I was stationed up at McChord up in Seattle she was from off one of them Native American reservations so she was into that ? . I fell asleep and woke up about 3-4 times movie felt like it lasted forever

She made me sit through one of those, but til now I blocked it out... man, that ? was horrible... I always assumed they were bad, but it was worse than I thought... They made out the whole movie, she gives birth to a hellspawn, then it ended...

My girl had tears streaming down her face, and it was the second time she seen it...
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I won't even mention to her when this movie comes out. I already seen battlefield LA, 10,000 BC, that end of the world movie with John Cusack. This movie will be an eyesore.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Sci fi status

It's about aliens. Of course it's sci fi
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options

Emmerich told Cinema Blend earlier this year that he wanted Smith to reprise his role, but the actor was tired of doing sequels and he already had a sci-fi film at the time, After Earth.

I guess the paycheck for Bad Boys III exceeded the one he was offered for this movie...
  • Max.
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    Sci fi status

It's about aliens. Of course it's sci fi

The ? channel sci fi
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks including Will in any type of way even a cameo woulda doubled the box office takings even higher than it would with this current film? Just for nostalgic reasons?

Maybe internationally but American audiences don't give a ? about Will Smith like that anymore. Besides that 50 million they saved I'm sure went into the effects budget which is never a bad thing for a movie like this.

Since Bad Boys 1 he's only had 3 movies that didn't get to the 100 million mark and all the ones that did do 100+ did at least 140 million.

Not like the domestic money does. International money alone doesn't really do ? for a studio's bottom line because they don't see most of it. Even when they do their own international distribution and don't use an outside party.

Though when factored with their domestic profit their international percentage helps them get a quicker ROI which is why such an emphasis is now being put in securing a solid international box office performance.

No ? . Overseas money is way more profitable. Look at them Marvel numbers from their films. Majority of the profit comes from overseas
  • Broddie
    Options

No ? . Overseas money is way more profitable. Look at them Marvel numbers from their films. Majority of the profit comes from overseas

Worf%2Bsighs.gif

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable