Has organized religion held human advancement back?

Options

Comments

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    zzombie wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    And regarding a lot of the things said in the OP, the cause is white people. They are the ones currently in social and political power, and their fundamental lack of morals and values are setting the "human-race" way back. Their end sum theories and senseless acts of violence and genocide are ? the "human-race" up beyond belief.

Integration and Imperialism/Colonialism has made it so this description can now be applied to a decent number of black people and others, but they are nothing but molded pawns.

Ancient civilizations like Kemet, meaning Land of Black People, which was later renamed Egypt by the Greeks, were much further along than we are currently in things that matter. They also lasted for thousands upon thousands of years IN POWER, with tens of dynastys, which no current superpower has a chance of doing. These "superpowers" are already facing destructive conflict, internally and externally.

In brief, the wrong people are in power. These people are too busy trying to take over, instead of work towards the common goal of advancement. Check their history, they are 100% pure poison.

Absolute nonsense and ancient Egypt conquered people for the same reasons other conquerors did.

But not under religious reasons and depending on which dynasty it was. The 19th dynasty was based on conquering people which Pharoahs of the 18th were opposed to which would they said would weaken their strength in which it did during the course of the 20th dynasty.

But their conquering was as religious as America's. Resources are the biggest reason for any war.

europeans did not begin to conquer america based on religion they did it for land the religious excuse came afterward.
    What are these religious excuses.........? LOL, see there, you do understand. I think the rest of the religious folk understand this as well. I knew all of you guys had some damn sense. That's exactly my point. This is a common issue when it comes to organized religion. Some religions have this thing that it must destroy or ignore anything that conflicts with it's ideology/rules. Some religions ideology/rules get twisted and bent to fit the followers/worshipers. This usually leads to what y'all like to call "extremist"(think about how you feel about muslim terrorist). But the thing is, Everybody has their own interpretations. So you really can't dismiss these people any more than you could dismiss yourself. Everybody thinks their interpretation is right. Which causes all kinds of issues.

The ideology/rules of religions is the main cause of the destruction of knowledge, progress, freedom of thought, new ideas, etc etc. Religion basically tells you not to expand your mind or explore beyond whatever the religion teaches. It limits humanity's potential. Many people all around the world are limited because of what their religion teaches.

Many religions always oppose/bad mouth scientific developments, breakthroughs, and discoveries etc etc because of this issue. Evolution, telescopes, astrology, space programs, dinosaurs, genetics, electricity, stem cell research, etc etc the list goes on. Where do you think the term "playing ? " comes from?(lol according to religion, shouldn't man playing ? be impossible?).

One question my brotha, How old is this planet again............?

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty ? ...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

--I can find many fun quotes from Hinduism and the Koran as well. But I'll be nice for now. Organized religion has almost totally ? society up historically.

yeah whatever can you actually address the thread premise??

I already did and Baron is 100% correct. Organized religion has held many people back, especially women and minorities in religious societies. I admit there are exceptions but in the grand scheme of things, organized religion has inspired, encouraged, and many times all out calls for savage and disgusting behavior. The Torah is a perfect example, look at how Israel is treating non-Jews. Look at how so many Muslim societies mistreat non-Muslims. Much of this is caused by the Torah and Koran itself supporting much of this behavior. That goes for most other organized religions as well

NONE OF THAT ? HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL PREMISE OF THIS THREAD like i said you just want to bash religion. the thread is not asking you if religious people have done horrible things to other people it's asking you has religion held back innovation and technically advancement.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    And regarding a lot of the things said in the OP, the cause is white people. They are the ones currently in social and political power, and their fundamental lack of morals and values are setting the "human-race" way back. Their end sum theories and senseless acts of violence and genocide are ? the "human-race" up beyond belief.

Integration and Imperialism/Colonialism has made it so this description can now be applied to a decent number of black people and others, but they are nothing but molded pawns.

Ancient civilizations like Kemet, meaning Land of Black People, which was later renamed Egypt by the Greeks, were much further along than we are currently in things that matter. They also lasted for thousands upon thousands of years IN POWER, with tens of dynastys, which no current superpower has a chance of doing. These "superpowers" are already facing destructive conflict, internally and externally.

In brief, the wrong people are in power. These people are too busy trying to take over, instead of work towards the common goal of advancement. Check their history, they are 100% pure poison.

Absolute nonsense and ancient Egypt conquered people for the same reasons other conquerors did.

But not under religious reasons and depending on which dynasty it was. The 19th dynasty was based on conquering people which Pharoahs of the 18th were opposed to which would they said would weaken their strength in which it did during the course of the 20th dynasty.

But their conquering was as religious as America's. Resources are the biggest reason for any war.

europeans did not begin to conquer america based on religion they did it for land the religious excuse came afterward.
    What are these religious excuses.........? LOL, see there, you do understand. I think the rest of the religious folk understand this as well. I knew all of you guys had some damn sense. That's exactly my point. This is a common issue when it comes to organized religion. Some religions have this thing that it must destroy or ignore anything that conflicts with it's ideology/rules. Some religions ideology/rules get twisted and bent to fit the followers/worshipers. This usually leads to what y'all like to call "extremist"(think about how you feel about muslim terrorist). But the thing is, Everybody has their own interpretations. So you really can't dismiss these people any more than you could dismiss yourself. Everybody thinks their interpretation is right. Which causes all kinds of issues.

The ideology/rules of religions is the main cause of the destruction of knowledge, progress, freedom of thought, new ideas, etc etc. Religion basically tells you not to expand your mind or explore beyond whatever the religion teaches. It limits humanity's potential. Many people all around the world are limited because of what their religion teaches.

Many religions always oppose/bad mouth scientific developments, breakthroughs, and discoveries etc etc because of this issue. Evolution, telescopes, astrology, space programs, dinosaurs, genetics, electricity, stem cell research, etc etc the list goes on. Where do you think the term "playing ? " comes from?(lol according to religion, shouldn't man playing ? be impossible?).

The bold is where you go off the rails into nonsense land certain religious people don't oppose scientific discovery because they want to limit human potential. Most religious people don't oppose evolution they oppose the conclusions certain scientist and secularist make about evolution.

ASTROLOGY is not science, telescopes, electricity, space travel religious people don't oppose those things come one ? please. Some religious only people oppose stem cell research because they believe that the stem cells are harvested from aborted babies AND don't what there to be profit from murder.

the earth is billions of years old
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty ? ...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

--I can find many fun quotes from Hinduism and the Koran as well. But I'll be nice for now. Organized religion has almost totally ? society up historically.

I already did and Baron is 100% correct. Organized religion has held many people back, especially women and minorities in religious societies. I admit there are exceptions but in the grand scheme of things, organized religion has inspired, encouraged, and many times all out calls for savage and disgusting behavior. The Torah is a perfect example, look at how Israel is treating non-Jews. Look at how so many Muslim societies mistreat non-Muslims. Much of this is caused by the Torah and Koran itself supporting much of this behavior. That goes for most other organized religions as well

NONE OF THAT ? HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL PREMISE OF THIS THREAD like i said you just want to bash religion. the thread is not asking you if religious people have done horrible things to other people it's asking you has religion held back innovation and technically advancement.

Did you read the question of the thread??

By holding so many women and minorities back historically, organized religion has held human advancement back. Imagine all the female scientists and teachers we would have now if it wasn't for the major, organized religions of the world being so sexist. Imagine how far so many Muslim nations and other religious places could be if they stopped being so sexist against women.

Imagine how far along religious minorities would be in the Middle East and other places if there weren't so many penalties for being non-Muslim there. Organized religion is a HUGE reason there haven't been more female scientists and researchers historically, women in religious societies are usually told to stay home and do dishes instead of being independent and improving themselves.
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options
    YES

OK, you smarter than this my ? . Stop with the dodging. You know damn well he just added all that in there to back up his point on how religion has greatly limited human advancement.

Like when they burned up all that knowledge in egypt. We aint getting that back anytime soon my brotha. There's plenty other advanced societies who were destroyed and their secrets(advancements) along with them. All because it went against what the attackers religion preached, or their interpretation.

The bold is where you go off the rails into nonsense land certain religious people don't oppose scientific discovery because they want to limit human potential. Most religious people don't oppose evolution they oppose the conclusions certain scientist and secularist make about evolution.

ASTROLOGY is not science, telescopes, electricity, space travel religious people don't oppose those things come one ? please. Some religious only people oppose stem cell research because they believe that the stem cells are harvested from aborted babies AND don't what there to be profit from murder.

Mv5dCk0.gif?noredirect

• zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

By holding so many women and minorities back historically, organized religion has held human advancement back. Imagine all the female scientists and teachers we would have now if it wasn't for the major, organized religions of the world being so sexist. Imagine how far so many Muslim nations and other religious places could be if they stopped being so sexist against women.

Imagine how far along religious minorities would be in the Middle East and other places if there weren't so many penalties for being non-Muslim there. Organized religion is a HUGE reason there haven't been more female scientists and researchers historically, women in religious societies are usually told to stay home and do dishes instead of being independent and improving themselves.

Society was not capable of allowing women on mass to go to school in the past it was not until technology advanced that women were able to go to schools. who would have cooked cleaned and taken care of the children??? in the modern world it is much more possible for women to work because we have made a lot of technology that makes living easier.

MASSES of people going to school is a new thing historically it simply could not have been done in 1590. In the modern world many woman in islamic nations do go to school. You will have exceptions but many muslim nations do allow girls to go to school.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    That study you produced is slightly biased and I'm sure you know that but that's fir another thread. All I want is to know what major thinkers or scientist of society were held back or killed. I told you @kingblaze84 that history was my minor and csn say with 100% certainly that organizatied religion has not held back or hindered scientific progress. There was no mass burning or killing of scientific minds

Political science was my major in college, and in my college I had to take several courses in religion and history in order to pass that major.

And as I told Zombie, organized religion has held back human advancement because of how it discouraged women from speaking up against men and even their own husbands, even if they were wrong. Imagine how many Marie Curies the world would have if it wasn't for the major organized religions of the world being so sexist and harsh against women.

It's not just scientific progress we're speaking about but if that's what you want to focus on, many religious leaders persecuted and historically hated knowledge that was at odds with religious teachings. Think of the religious places around the world where math and science are not even taught, where philosophies outside of certain thought in the past was considered blasphemy.

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/time_to_move_on.html

There are countless tragedies in history where scientific discoveries have been suppressed, lost, destroyed, burnt and hidden, with scientists murdered, ousted, silenced and tortured. In nearly all cases, the antagonists have been religious institutions who are offended, scared, or outraged by new discoveries and by challenging ideas.

“The Ionians discovered the truth about the Sun, the Earth and the stars. But their era ended when their last great scientist, Hypatia, was attacked by a mob of Christians and burnt in 415CE. The center of science, the Alexandrian Library, was also burnt and destroyed. Scientists had to suffer torture, silencing, imprisonment and death at the hands of Christians who didn't agree [...]. Copernicus (1473-1543), Kepler (1571-1630), Galileo (1564-1642), Newton (1643-1727) and Laplace (1749-1827) all fought battles against the Church when they published scientific papers challenging religious orthodoxy. [...] The Church retreated... only to go on to fight similar ignorant battles, and violently impose dogmatic errors, in the arenas of physics, biology and philosophy.”

"Christianity v. Astronomy: The Earth Orbits the Sun!"
    Vexen Crabtree (2006)

• zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

OK, you smarter than this my ? . Stop with the dodging. You know damn well he just added all that in there to back up his point on how religion has greatly limited human advancement.

Like when they burned up all that knowledge in egypt. We aint getting that back anytime soon my brotha. There's plenty other advanced societies who were destroyed and their secrets(advancements) along with them. All because it went against what the attackers religion preached, or their interpretation.

Mv5dCk0.gif?noredirect

lol you under educated ? on here man smh.... who burned what in egypt??? ? please tell me you are not talking about the library of alexandria. that was burnt down by ceasar and history provides no clear record of any burning of books at the library later on.

and astrology is not a science ? astronomy is a science
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    marie curie was born in 1867 in 1867 the average man did not go to school
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    I just want to know who and how has organizatied religion held back human advancement. Not disagreeing that horrible terrors were justified under the blanket of religion.

There was progress and there was big set backs, but it's more political, economic, and just plain power hungry control freaks versus a religious point of view.

There were progress and huge state backs under any religious or none religious states in history so I'll give you that. But where is there an instance or even a justification to the very stupid statement t/s made. That's all I'm asking.

From a glance from history, Christianity did civilized Europeans and Islam did for Muslims for some ? . Then we had the golden age of Islam which pushed a lot of scientific discoveries and thinking. But I don't think people have studied enough though. I believed that people need to take the good and the bad and learned from the history and strengthen themselves and become wiser to make a much better place for themselves and their descendants.

Ok with that being said do you agree or disagree with the thread premises?
    In the grand scheme of things, organized religion has been a terrible setback for humanity. I admit religious people at times have made good scientific progress but overall, organized religion has held people back because of it historically being a very divisive thing. It can bring people together, but religions have often justified terrible behavior such as genocides, the stealing of resources, land, and stopping the education of women. The Torah encourages slavery and the murder of people who believe in different gods, and Jesus told his followers to keep the Torah and old laws holy lol.....no wonder Christians went crazy with their famous murders and genocides throughout history.

The sexism in Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are huge reasons why women in so many parts of the world live as 2nd class citizens. There are religious societies who right now don't believe in teaching young girls and even young boys math and science.

I can go on and on, but Baron touched on many of the points already. Organized religion, historically, has been a giant cancer upon humanity. The less people take religion seriously, the more humane and enlightened the society becomes. Show me a society that is very religious on average, and I'll show you a nation that has a ton of social problems. [/quote]

Any society tho religious or not

My answer would be Yes/No.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES

Society was not capable of allowing women on mass to go to school in the past it was not until technology advanced that women were able to go to schools. who would have cooked cleaned and taken care of the children??? in the modern world it is much more possible for women to work because we have made a lot of technology that makes living easier.

MASSES of people going to school is a new thing historically it simply could not have been done in 1590. In the modern world many woman in islamic nations do go to school. You will have exceptions but many muslim nations do allow girls to go to school.

I understand societies in the past felt women were needed to take care of the household but not even allowing them to be outspoken or stand up to their own husband?? That's ridiculous and beyond education, that's a giant civil rights violation right there alone. Organized religion put women in mental handcuffs for hundreds, probably thousands of years because of most of them considering girls to be inferior in mind and thought.

Young girls in India are often married off at the age of 9 years old because of some twisted Hindu teachings that say a grown man can get with a young girl that hasn't even reached puberty yet. Is that human progress? When the Bible's New Testament says women must be silent in church and in the company of men, is that human progress? Hell no, it gave men an excuse to mistreat women and keep them basically as pets because organized religion SUPPORTED IT. It's beyond education, it's how women were allowed to develop, or NOT develop. It held society back long term.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

I understand societies in the past felt women were needed to take care of the household but not even allowing them to be outspoken or stand up to their own husband?? That's ridiculous and beyond education, that's a giant civil rights violation right there alone. Organized religion put women in mental handcuffs for hundreds, probably thousands of years because of most of them considering girls to be inferior in mind and thought.

Young girls in India are often married off at the age of 9 years old because of some twisted Hindu teachings that say a grown man can get with a young girl that hasn't even reached puberty yet. Is that human progress? When the Bible's New Testament says women must be silent in church and in the company of men, is that human progress? Hell no, it gave men an excuse to mistreat women and keep them basically as pets because organized religion SUPPORTED IT. It's beyond education, it's how women were allowed to develop, or NOT develop. It held society back long term.

I am not seeing the connection between women not being able to "stand up" to their husbands and religion holding humanity back from technological advancement. DURING times of great human advancement women were still expected take on a submissive role and innovation went right on ahead.

women were told to keep quite because of how temples were made back then there were no loud speakers in ancient israel. You are making an argument based on coorelations i am not seeing much causation.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But that whole situation is a logical fallacy an appeal to probability. Just cause a women might have been a scientist doesn't mean she would be. If you hace examples of women already being scientists and being held back then post it.

As for the rest of your post

Hypatia has multiple death accounts and most of them speak on it being politically motivated instead of assuming it was because of a supposed truth.

Copernicus wasn't evem oppressed in anyway sure the church didn't agree and yes they argued again't it but because of it it helped to almost complete reform thr physics field.

Galileo us one person you can kinda sort of claim. Yes he was given house arrest but still was able to study and he still released books.

Whoever wrote that quote doesn't know what the ? they talking bout since Sir Issac Newton was firmly Christian and made multiple statements about him being born on Christmas.

How was Laplace even oppressed at all? French history isn't my strong suite but I know that for the most part he lived a fruitful life
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options
    YES

LOL at all the dodges(like usual!!!!!) These cats are doing nothing but proving the point of this thread and they don't eeeeen knowit. Both of these posters have many great views and are very level headed posters. But when it comes to religion, they get really stupid and act like they can't comprehend ? . Look no further than their post in this very thread for proof of the damage religion can do to human development/advancement.

They are no different than good cops covering up for crooked cops, modern day feminist, stew when it comes to .T.I, shady team when it comes to eminem, Republicans when it comes to average everyday peoples issues, white people on their race when slavery and destroying societies comes up. Their religions have molded their minds this way. They have this unconscious belief that religion ULTIMATELY can't cause any real harm in the grand scheme of things. They will come up with any excuse, no matter how dumb it sounds or makes them look.

These people are stuck, stubborn, and sometimes flat out delusional. What growth can you get from this type of mind state? NONE!!!!!!!!!!
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    I am not getting the religious justification for the oppression of women hundreds of years ago = less advancements for humanity argument.

the reality of the situation is almost nobody went to university male or female and if they did go to university it would have been one founded by and ran by religious organizations.
  • The_Jackal
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To make the quote even worse a source and call whoever that is in into doubt as a credible source is by the time Issac Newton was being seen as a brilliant thinker England had already broken away from Roman Catholic Church and declared itself protestant. He was knighted in 1705 by Queen Anne. Now if he was being oppressed as that source would have you believe why was he given such a title and why was he buried with full national honors?
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO

LOL at all the dodges(like usual!!!!!) These cats are doing nothing but proving the point of this thread and they don't eeeeen knowit. Both of these posters have many great views and are very level headed posters. But when it comes to religion, they get really stupid and act like they can't comprehend ? . Look no further than their post in this very thread for proof of the damage religion can do to human development/advancement.

They are no different than good cops covering up for crooked cops, modern day feminist, stew when it comes to .T.I, shady team when it comes to eminem, Republicans when it comes to average everyday peoples issues, white people on their race when slavery and destroying societies comes up. Their religions have molded their minds this way. They have this unconscious belief that religion ULTIMATELY can't cause any real harm in the grand scheme of things. They will come up with any excuse, no matter how dumb it sounds or makes them look.

These people are stuck, stubborn, and sometimes flat out delusional. What growth can you get from this type of mind state? NONE!!!!!!!!!!

? you and kingblaze84 have not made good arguments it's not our fault you have provided no evidence or even made a logical proof and the bold is an outright lie. I voted yes/no and you still lie on me
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    How am I dodging anything at all? I'm answer everything straight forward. I'll even go as far and say ok there are instances where religion has held back certain societit's on a cultural level. Show how on a scientific level as you first said that religion has held back men
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    To make the quote even worse a source and call whoever that is in into doubt as a credible source is by the time Issac Newton was being seen as a brilliant think England had already broken away from Roman Catholic Church and declared itself protestant. He was knighted in 1705 by Queen Anne. Now if he was being oppressed as that source would have you believe why was he given such a title and why was he buried with full national honors?

I did a huge study on Issac Newton and he was deeply religious and very intelligent and wasn't held back. This isn't about some magic button that makes them attack a free thinker, atheist or etc. It deals with political control more so than anything religious in any aspect.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    Regardless, if you ain't ? whether your a theist or an atheist you will be ain't ? . Ain't no religion or no philosophy or no lack of one is gonna do nothing for you unless you are willingly to walk that walk.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    To make the quote even worse a source and call whoever that is in into doubt as a credible source is by the time Issac Newton was being seen as a brilliant think England had already broken away from Roman Catholic Church and declared itself protestant. He was knighted in 1705 by Queen Anne. Now if he was being oppressed as that source would have you believe why was he given such a title and why was he buried with full national honors?

I did a huge study on Issac Newton and he was deeply religious and very intelligent and wasn't held back. This isn't about some magic button that makes them attack a free thinker, atheist or etc. It deals with political control more so than anything religious in any aspect.

This is what I been getting at this whole thread especially when Hypatia was mentioned. I mean look at the first Crusade and how people think that it boils down to evil christians invading and taking the holy city because of their religion. People are uneducated when it comes to it and the fact that it was mainly political motivated.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO

This is what I been getting at this whole thread especially when Hypatia was mentioned. I mean look at the first Crusade and how people think that it boils down to evil christians invading and taking the holy city because of their religion. People are uneducated when it comes to it and the fact that it was mainly political motivated.

Politics and religion can go hand in hand and we see that a lot in history but people can also use religion that was intended to bring peace and understanding of the world for their political and economic greed. Like I stated Timbuktu, The Golden Age of Islam, The Mystery Schools of Kemet, The Mossi Kingdoms, Ethiopia and the list goes on the contributions of enlightened people used a religions and spiritual system to support mankind through innovations and protected people.

I can't think of this Black Christian man who was a general part of the Roman empire who defended a bunch of people in Europe and he used his religious beliefs to be a vanguard to protect those people from genocide against his own leaders.

And the biggest relevant people is Booker T Washington, Nat Turner, and Frederick Douglass.

You can have your beef with the doctrine and you can choose what you want, but at the end of the day some of our great leaders used religion to help YOU. The great leaders talked a great good about Haiti even though they may not agree on Voodoo, but they all respected Desalines and the hatian rebellion. ? , Nat Turner found inspiration if I'm not mistaken on the hatian revolution and some came and helped out the Gullah and others who were Christian. So its not about religion, but it's more on your heart and what you are gonna use it for.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Politics and religion can go hand in hand and we see that a lot in history but people can also use religion that was intended to bring peace and understanding of the world for their political and economic greed. Like I stated Timbuktu, The Golden Age of Islam, The Mystery Schools of Kemet, The Mossi Kingdoms, Ethiopia and the list goes on the contributions of enlightened people used a religions and spiritual system to support mankind through innovations and protected people.

I can't think of this Black Christian man who was a general part of the Roman empire who defended a bunch of people in Europe and he used his religious beliefs to be a vanguard to protect those people from genocide against his own leaders.

And the biggest relevant people is Booker T Washington, Nat Turner, and Frederick Douglass.

You can have your beef with the doctrine and you can choose what you want, but at the end of the day some of our great leaders used religion to help YOU. The great leaders talked a great good about Haiti even though they may not agree on Voodoo, but they all respected Desalines and the hatian rebellion. ? , Nat Turner found inspiration if I'm not mistaken on the hatian revolution and some came and helped out the Gullah and others who were Christian. So its not about religion, but it's more on your heart and what you are gonna use it for.

This is what I mean. Just my whole point overall is that their was no mass killings of free thinkers or scientist simply because their theories went against established religion. And like I said to king blaze I'll even agree that religion could possibly be seen as holding back a society culturally (thought I'm still less inclined to believe that since you would have to establish what would be perfect society in that time period) and that terrible things have been done in the name of religion as well as in the name of atheism

As far as the general pretty sure you are thinking of the byzantine empire there was a particular bishop when bishops still raised war parties who defended Jews.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    I've done more research on this topic and the evidence is pretty shocking as far as how MUCH religious institutions have held back knowledge, and set back humanity in general. I'll share some of the info as soon as I get off from work.

I'll also add that when people say religion has held humanity back, it's beyond just scientific progress, it's human progress in general. Anyway, I'll post the info very soon
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    I've done more research on this topic and the evidence is pretty shocking as far as how MUCH religious institutions have held back knowledge, and set back humanity in general. I'll share some of the info as soon as I get off from work.

I'll also add that when people say religion has held humanity back, it's beyond just scientific progress, it's human progress in general. Anyway, I'll post the info very soon

Make sure the "evidence" is credible cause the last bit was a bunch of ?