Has organized religion held human advancement back?

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    I've done more research on this topic and the evidence is pretty shocking as far as how MUCH religious institutions have held back knowledge, and set back humanity in general. I'll share some of the info as soon as I get off from work.

I'll also add that when people say religion has held humanity back, it's beyond just scientific progress, it's human progress in general. Anyway, I'll post the info very soon

Make sure the "evidence" is credible cause the last bit was a bunch of ?

The evidence is overwhelming, on debate.org, one of America's largest debate forums, 73% of people agree that religion has held human advancement back. But as far as the evidence itself, research what the Catholic Church did to hold scientific research back that was deemed blasphemous to the Bible. The Dark Ages in Europe saw the Catholic Church ? or torture many who opposed religious dogma and put others in jail. Galileo was under house arrest the rest of his life for his research, imagine how much that scared other scientists.

Religious groups and institutions throughout history did do much good for science, as I have said, but many religious groups/institutions up till now deny the education of girls, using religious books to do so. Boko Haram, Taliban, among others do this.

Also look at what the Catholic Church says about stem cell research, using its money to try to persuade politicians and scientists all over the world to stop or limit its research. Adult stem cells are very good for helping treat disease but embryo stem cell research (without brains or advanced organs) is opposed by the major religious organizations of the world, despite scientists saying over and over that embryonic stem cell research can create miracles. And these major organizations/institutions have money and funds that can help save more lives. SMH at the current Pope saying condoms would worsen the AIDS epidemic, its kept it under control.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Dedate.org is not a credible source
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    zzombie wrote: »
    I am not getting the religious justification for the oppression of women hundreds of years ago = less advancements for humanity argument.

the reality of the situation is almost nobody went to university male or female and if they did go to university it would have been one founded by and ran by religious organizations.

Many women who could have been great scientists or researchers in the past were instead subjugated by the major religions of the world, especially the Abrahamic ones and Hinduism. In the Bible, women are told they CANNOT challenge the authority of men, that would have made scientific research by women in older days irrelevant or disregarded because religious dogma ruled the Christian world for hundreds of years and it still does for the most part in Islamic countries, though there are exceptions.

Marie Curie herself, one of the FOUNDERS OF MODERN DAY PHYSICS, disregarded religion in her later years and said several times that if it wasn't for religious persecutors, there could have been many more Marie Curies. Marie Curie was a brilliant woman and I can only imagine how many more women could have been like her if it wasn't for religion poisoning so many minds and turning so many into ignorant people.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    stop Grasping for straws trying to save your ridiculous argument or bring actual evidence.

Debate.org is not a proper source the poll numbers there on this issue are irrelevant because the percentages are based on individual opinions And not analysis of verified facts

It's a glorified popularity poll and those kinds of polls are fine for music but not for something like history
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your not posting any proof at all. All you are doing is listing events that happened and calming that they somehow held humankind back. How exactly has human kind been held back during the Catholic inquisition? Your stem cell point is ? becauuse their are plenty of atheist who are against the use of it and abortion in general. Debate.org is definitely a ? point I don't even know why you would post that when anyone can post whatever they want without it having to be credible as bad as Wikipedia. And the church just like your is its own organization and can do whatever it wants with it money unless you trying force then to do something with it.

And it wasn't during the dark ages literally noone uses the dark ages anymore because it's stupid as ? to think Rome falling casted the world into a period of darkness but I digress.

All me and Zombie asking for us for anyone to show how has organizatied religion held back human advancement.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    On top of that yiu are putting your own spin on advancing society when it comes to stem cell. Is preserving life and making sure no baby's are killed advancing society or potentially killing them and saving others advancing society. Being very biased
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES
    "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty ? ...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

--I can find many fun quotes from Hinduism and the Koran as well. But I'll be nice for now. Organized religion has almost totally ? society up historically.

yeah whatever can you actually address the thread premise??

I already did and Baron is 100% correct. Organized religion has held many people back, especially women and minorities in religious societies. I admit there are exceptions but in the grand scheme of things, organized religion has inspired, encouraged, and many times all out calls for savage and disgusting behavior. The Torah is a perfect example, look at how Israel is treating non-Jews. Look at how so many Muslim societies mistreat non-Muslims. Much of this is caused by the Torah and Koran itself supporting much of this behavior. That goes for most other organized religions as well

NONE OF THAT ? HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL PREMISE OF THIS THREAD like i said you just want to bash religion. the thread is not asking you if religious people have done horrible things to other people it's asking you has religion held back innovation and technically advancement.

Did you read the question of the thread??

Has organized religion held human advancement back?

By holding so many women and minorities back historically, organized religion has held human advancement back. Imagine all the female scientists and teachers we would have now if it wasn't for the major, organized religions of the world being so sexist. Imagine how far so many Muslim nations and other religious places could be if they stopped being so sexist against women.

Imagine how far along religious minorities would be in the Middle East and other places if there weren't so many penalties for being non-Muslim there. Organized religion is a HUGE reason there haven't been more female scientists and researchers historically, women in religious societies are usually told to stay home and do dishes instead of being independent and improving themselves.
    LOL at all the dodges(like usual!!!!!) These cats are doing nothing but proving the point of this thread and they don't eeeeen knowit. Both of these posters have many great views and are very level headed posters. But when it comes to religion, they get really stupid and act like they can't comprehend ? . Look no further than their post in this very thread for proof of the damage religion can do to human development/advancement.

They are no different than good cops covering up for crooked cops, modern day feminist, stew when it comes to .T.I, shady team when it comes to eminem, Republicans when it comes to average everyday peoples issues, white people on their race when slavery and destroying societies comes up. Their religions have molded their minds this way. They have this unconscious belief that religion ULTIMATELY can't cause any real harm in the grand scheme of things. They will come up with any excuse, no matter how dumb it sounds or makes them look.

These people are stuck, stubborn, and sometimes flat out delusional. What growth can you get from this type of mind state? NONE!!!!!!!!!!

Organized religion is one of those things that keep people in a general state of ignorance about much of the world, so I'm not surprised. I know because when I was Christian, I had no choice but to block out a lot of knowledge because it would have interfered with my faith, and how I came to be part of that faith to begin with.

There are many smart religious people for sure though, but people that are too religious are definitely some of the most delusional. If someone wants to be religious, cool, but I wonder at times if they realize how delusional some of their beliefs sound.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    NO
    The evidence is overwhelming, on debate.org, one of America's largest debate forums, 73% of people agree that religion has held human advancement back.
    *leaps in to poll out that a poll of people's opinions is not evidence*

? THE POLLS

*vanishes*

• kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    stop Grasping for straws trying to save your ridiculous argument or bring actual evidence.

Debate.org is not a proper source the poll numbers there on this issue are irrelevant because the percentages are based on individual opinions And not analysis of verified facts

It's a glorified popularity poll and those kinds of polls are fine for music but not for something like history

I already did bring evidence, you're purposely ignoring it. Read what Marie Curie said about religion and women.

As far as your last sentence, you contradicted yourself badly.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    janklow wrote: »
    The evidence is overwhelming, on debate.org, one of America's largest debate forums, 73% of people agree that religion has held human advancement back.

? THE POLLS

*vanishes*

73% though? Humanity has spoken.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    janklow wrote: »

? THE POLLS

*vanishes*

73% though? Humanity has spoken.

SINCE WHEN is debate.org representative of humanity????? lol ? out of here with your trolling lil ?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    On top of that yiu are putting your own spin on advancing society when it comes to stem cell. Is preserving life and making sure no baby's are killed advancing society or potentially killing them and saving others advancing society. Being very biased

Why be against embryonic stem cell research if the embryo doesn't even have a brain or a single ? ? These stem cells can bring amazing discoveries in the future, and religious organizations are holding back worldwide progress on the issue.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

I already did bring evidence, you're purposely ignoring it. Read what Marie Curie said about religion and women.

As far as your last sentence, you contradicted yourself badly.

Hunter must be a horrible school because clearly they did not educate you properly the opinion of one human being is not evidence. music is subjective the facts of history are not either something happened or it didn't there was no contradiction in my last sentence.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    @kingblaze84 these are the demographics of debate.org these demographics are not representative of humanity. you majored in political science and did not learn how to properly debate you must have passed with the minimal GPA

www.debate.org/about/demographics/
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the first time ever, I'm agreeing with Zzombie. No one has posted any definite, concrete evidence or FACTS of how religion has held back human advancement. All I'm seeing is a lot of, "just imagine", "now think if", "I wonder how many", "debate.org", LMAOOO
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Wow debate forum as primary source documentation????

? , that ? is psuedo as Scientology come on man. Get your ? properly and go research some history. You could have pointed to the Mossi Kingdoms as a backing or any other system but that ? bro. Come on.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Why be against embryonic stem cell research if the embryo doesn't even have a brain or a single ? ? These stem cells can bring amazing discoveries in the future, and religious organizations are holding back worldwide progress on the issue.

Again you putting your own spin on what YOU think advancement of society I'd atleast in regards to this issue. The whole point Is that the majority of these stem cells come from aborted baby. ? how your logic is going the state might be holding back human advancement because you never know what these children nay have accomplished
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Put your hatred of religion aside and be objective
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    You want proof of religion putting a handicap on human capability?

Look at what the state of Texas is doing to public school education across the country. Slipping in their racist and Christian ideas into history and science and sex education. It's disgusting and a remnant of what used to be the norm.

Saying the Earth was round was considered blasphemy.

Saying the Earth was not the center of the universe was considered blasphemy.

Stem cells? If the argument comes down to preserving life at all cost, regardless of the circumstance, why can't they be consistent in determining when that life begins?
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    You want proof of religion putting a handicap on human capability?

Look at what the state of Texas is doing to public school education across the country. Slipping in their racist and Christian ideas into history and science and sex education. It's disgusting and a remnant of what used to be the norm.

Saying the Earth was round was considered blasphemy.

Saying the Earth was not the center of the universe was considered blasphemy.

Stem cells? If the argument comes down to preserving life at all cost, regardless of the circumstance, why can't they be consistent in determining when that life begins?

You only made one argument that could be considered as at least a little legitimate and that's Texas teaching creationist. To counter that argument
    1. Children have complete access to the Internet and are capable of finding information and making up their mind.
    2. While the schools are proclaimed as public they are actually charter schools which means they are run independently from the state. Clear violation of church and state but they aren't they state.

The rest of your points are just babbling on about ? and the catholoc church has always been steadfast on when life begins.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Religion holding me back now, I have a fight to the death against DoYouWantToGoToHeaven and that ? is like Brolly from Dragon ball Z, I don't think I'm gonna survive.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES
    bkkbully wrote: »
    For the first time ever, I'm agreeing with Zzombie. No one has posted any definite, concrete evidence or FACTS of how religion has held back human advancement. All I'm seeing is a lot of, "just imagine", "now think if", "I wonder how many", "debate.org", LMAOOO

People have posted plenty of evidence already, organized religious books historically have put down women and stated several times they cannot challenge the authority of men and even told them they must learn in silence and subjection to men. That stifled a LOT of scientific thought from women, as Marie Curie has said in the past. The Christian churches of the past disregarded the scientific opinions of women for a VERY long time and the same thing was done in Hindu and Muslim nations.

Also, with the Bible, Koran, and Torah all supporting slavery, it prevented the advancement of many groups of people who could have been great assets to science but instead were forced to live brutal lives, without the right to even read or write most of the time. If people took the words of holy books and applied it to dialy life, we would be living like people do under Boko Haram, Taliban or the horrible days when the Christian church ruled society.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    YES

Again you putting your own spin on what YOU think advancement of society I'd atleast in regards to this issue. The whole point Is that the majority of these stem cells come from aborted baby. ? how your logic is going the state might be holding back human advancement because you never know what these children nay have accomplished

When scientists create or want to create embryos, these are cells that DO NOT have a brain or a EVEN ANY ? , so it's not even a real living thing. It's just a mass of tissue. And it's not my spin, it's the opinion of great scientists who say constantly that embryonic stem cell research can create amazing opportunities for all kinds of people, people who are amputees, have degenerative brain problems, etc.

And religious institutions are HOLDING SCIENCE BACK by being so opposed to embryonic stem cell research, a mass of tissue WITHOUT a brain or an ? is not a real living thing. Scientists are constantly saying this and religious organizations worldwide still wish to be stuck on ignorance on the subject.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO
    @kingblaze84

300 years ago almost no one went to school people couldn't even afford to send boys to school so the religion holding females down and preventing them from contributing to science is a faulty argument.

Also most universities were in some ways run by religious institutions.