The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    in principle, it seems to me to be a hugeeee conflict of interest to vote for a candidate who is overwhelmingly beholden to their corporate masters who fund their campaigns and are obliged to pay them back in the forms of tax cuts... contracts etc etc etc... if you dont mind the bailouts of 08, which honestly amount to nothing less than corporate welfare, except it encompasses a level of economic security that has in no way, shape of form has been experienced in regular american welfare... go ahead and vote for an establishment candidate.

but dont come back ? when its things running as usual. atleast there is a chance of some change with bernie.

Yeah but what kind of change????

anyone with a sense of realistic expectations knows that he more than likely would not be able to establish the policies in the form of what he has put forth so far. But for me personally seeing his track record and consistency has led me to believe that he isnt going to turn his back on the american people. this means more to me than anything else.

It's his Track record of nonsense that will only sink america deeper into cultural hedonism
    no thanks. If any of his more radical policies pass america is ? .
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    They also said in 2007 Obama was the worst choice to face off against McCain versus Hillary and John Edwards SMMFH.

Sanders would get washed by Trump,
    he says very intelligent things, has great ideas, he's a good man but wouldn't be able to raise as much money as Trump, isn't as appealing to other demographics and the Republicans would rail him for being too "radical" and old - you'd also lose New York and California which is a huuuge deal. He's much easier to beat than Hillary. Trump would overwhelm Sanders via popularity and consistency and ? him.

Like Hillary or not but she has the charm the money, popularity, the demographics (she's got women, black people and Hispanics), delegates (as long as she runs a clean campaign) and background to defeat Trump.

my dude, with all due respect, with most recent polls, have shown this to be a complete and total lie bruh. in opposition to both cruz and trump in the Iowa and New Hampshire Caucases, sanders is beating them when matched together with double digit points. this is not the same for hilary.

if youre going to spout something about american politics, please be informed.

SMMFH I actually refer to the National polls, not the polls for primaries, as they aren't very consistent. In Iowa, Bernie leads by a mere 4 points ( 49/45 for Sanders ).

Here's the national polls for the DNC with the second link representing the RNC:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-democratic-primary
    http://www.cnn.com/specials/politics/2016-election

But that's not the etherous part about that - to clinch the nomination a candidate needs to win about 2300 delegates. Bernie has 11, and Clinton has 359 recorded and weren't not even in July yet. Although recently they Clinton camp claimed to have 40% of the delegates secured. This is why the DNC poll numbers are heavily tilted in her favour. This also means the party already knows who they want to lead them and Bernie is not that person. If he can't clinch delegates he won't stand a chance against Trump, he might get the popular vote but Trump will stomp him in Texas, Florida and southern states for delegates and votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Democratic_Party_superdelegates,_2016

I look at the big picture, not so much the caucuses and primaries. There's still NY, NJ, Cali and NY is Clinton's home turf, she'll take at least 65% of the delegates and the popular vote.

A good majority of the delegates are heavily swayed by the results of the first few states. Thus the candidate and media emphasis on Iowa & New Hampshire where Sanders is currently leading. And you don't take Hillary's familiarity, campaign funds and say, "a mere 4 points." That's actually a disaster for Hillary who is failing to connect with the base for the second straight election cycle. That isn't very "presidential" and will not galvanize the base to get out and vote the way the republicans currently are.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    Oh and btw Bernie Sanders would be the first Jewish president if he won, but running against Trump the Republicans will have a FIELD day with that. Ask Bernie how he feels about Israel and where he stands with them. That dude wants to break up "Too Big To Fail" reforms and Dodd-Frank, that's why the Dems or Wall Street not ? with him. It sounds good to the uninformed public but if not for Too Big To Fail America would have plunged into an economic ice age. It was a hard decision but a necessary evil. At the same time Wall Street has a huuuge vested interest in the elections, even Obama had to cater to them.

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/economy/hillary-clinton-vs-bernie-sanders/

^^^ this is a dope read for those who aren't sure where the candidates stand on the proposals and issues. Hillary's is more doable, Bernie's has loopholes and won't work (prolly a strategy to bait his naysayers tho). Sanders not going to be able to eliminate all tuition for every state and he can't cap credit card interest at 15%, to break up Dodd Frank or Too Big To Fail would put the unsuspecting public at the mercy of reckless bankers cuz that means banks would be able to use the deposits they get to invest in the stock market where Dodd Frank and Glass-Steagall prohibit that. His job creation plan could work but raising the minimum wage to $15 is too much too fast and would increase unemployment, maybe in a second term but definitely not in the first.

Just my 2 cents

Sion he doesn't want to just break up the reforms, his main goal is to break up the actual banks and reinstate Glass-Steagall. That's the whole point... why have we allowed a system that would plunge us into an economic ice age and held taxpayers responsible for the bailouts when banks make stupid gambles with our money. It's actually pretty damn stupid to allow such an economic structure to continue.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why would ANYBODY vote for decrepit ass Bernie Sanders?

Aint he like 80 for real?

Even if he got the dem vote, his ass would be dead before he could even be swore in.

Not to mention all these ridiculous ideas he has that will never come to fruition in any of our lifetimes.

lmao. I swear. if the founding fathers were people like yall with these defeatist mindsets, there would surely be no USA. im sure they would be back flipping in their grave at how far a lot of america has strayed from the concept of Ones will making it through seemingly impossible odds with strength and convinction.

Yeah theyve wouldve made sure the south won and your black ass would be picking cotton right now.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    ? all cubans

Nah just the women
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    All i kno is im not voting for hillary

What i dont understand is how some folk, who allegedly back democratic principles and,acknowledge Republicans seem to be on some us vs them ? racially, how those people would rather sit back and let Trump become president just bc they dont 'like' Hillary

Then in the same breath say the president is just a figurehead

Which he/she is....ok, so in that case,
    you are voting for democratic policies regardless of who the figure head is. You supposed to vote for WHOEVER the democratic nominee ends up being if u really care

That's what i dont get ....

What i dont get is how people believe that not voting is some how "letting trump become president" as if i owe hillary my vote if she wins the democratic nomination.

I'm not loyal to the democratic party.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    If these politicians would just speak more like Trump and add some funny ad-libs they could probably make some waves. Christy is probably the one closes to Trump as far as speaking goes.

As far as Scandinavia is concerned.. I went to Stockholm for a week. that sh*t was beautiful. Saw a lot of fathers pushing strollers ... Like way to many .. The youth dressed like a Cheap Monday Ad .. Not as many blonds as I expected ... Beautiful scenery ... Ikea clean and simple.

Anyways ... I bet people thought Social Security was a "Radical" concept to.. just saying.

America is not ? Scandinavia you ? idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Los Angeles has a large population than all of ? Sweden.

Norway has 5 million
    Denmark has about 6 million.

the Scandinavian nations are also homogeneous. Compare that to the ethnicity mixed USA with it's population of about 300 million.

13 exclamation points? Really N*gga?
    You need a snickers?

• (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just wanna know when i said this a month ago, just out of my own independent thought...
    (Nope) wrote: »
    ? the ? , we need Bernie!

Yall mfers know nothing abot politics

Trump would WASH Bernie in an election
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    (Nope) wrote: »
    ? the ? , we need Bernie!

Yall mfers know nothing abot politics

Trump would WASH Bernie in an election

Fortunately there's these things called polls that disagree with you.

Please. In THIS climate, you need a political rock star to defeat Trump. Hilary is one, Sanders is not

There's a sizeable portion of the voting base that literally does not know who Bernie is

Before you preach to the choir about what that says about them, it doesn't matter. Trump being even shows we have reached the abyss and this is largely a glorified popularity contest

...where are those people that vehemently disagreed? They seem to be quiet now that they see the same idea in print

You need attention because you share the same opinion as some hack from The Post?

Weirdo!
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

What i dont understand is how some folk, who allegedly back democratic principles and,acknowledge Republicans seem to be on some us vs them ? racially, how those people would rather sit back and let Trump become president just bc they dont 'like' Hillary

you are voting for democratic policies regardless of who the figure head is. You supposed to vote for WHOEVER the democratic nominee ends up being if u really care

What i dont get is how people believe that not voting is some how "letting trump become president" as if i owe hillary my vote if she wins the democratic nomination.

good luck gettin a sucka to understand the logic..
    and then they wonder why the dems steady "lickin" they ass!? smmfh
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's ? up I know American politics better than my own country's SMMFH LOLOLOL. I could count my presidents going back like 30-60 years and what each did for the country but couldn't do the same with Canadian Prime Ministers. It's just not nearly as intriguing, like as boring as politics are, your political elections are actually entertaining to watch.

thats cause its all ? theatre.. ? WWF..
    these the same muthafuckas that be drawing names for Secret Santa after cheese and wine on Thanksgiving before they head home. smmfh
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bernie Sanders has definitely run a great campaign, and he speaks to our plight as african americans. However, he has to count on a large portion of young voters just to get the nomination. In the primaries. When younger voters historically don't come out to vote...
  • sideon1984
    sideon1984 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Of the candidates left, Clinton is the safest vote. She knows the political ropes and she lives with one of the best presidents of the past 40 years. The world stage won't be too big for her, she's been doin it forever.

Although I love bernie sanders' idealism, it's just not realistic in today's washington, all the ? he talkin will get voted down or fillabustered and pettifogged to no end. We see what happened with Obama, and he wasn't even specifically fighting for us. Bernie comin in like he just got his first black ? , them white boys on capitol hill ain't goin for that lol.
    I hope you're not black.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

But you're propping up a democratic candidate who's beliefs 90% will line up with the democratic party

lil-scrappy-teeth-resized.jpg

You know nothing about politics. Candidtates for their party simply push their party's sticking points, at this stage they differentiate by which points they emphasize and how far they CLAIM they will push the envelope. (Ask Obama how that works, there's this lil thing called congress) .If not, they wouldn't be running for that party

Did you catch the keyword? Runnin FOR that party. U think anybody gets thia far in the game with that lil (D) or (R) next to their name amd just gon do what the ? they want? Foh Bernie Sandersbis a DEMOCRAT. He is running for the DEMOCRATIC nomination. As president he would instill DEMOCRATIC principles
  • (ob)Scene
    edited January 2016
    Options

But you're propping up a democratic candidate who's beliefs 90% will line up with the democratic party

You know nothing about politics. Candidtates for their party simply push their party's sticking points, at this stage they differentiate by which points they emphasize and how far they CLAIM they will push the envelope. (Ask Obama how that works, there's this lil thing called congress) .If not, they wouldn't be running for that party

Did you catch the keyword? Runnin FOR that party. U think anybody gets thia far in the game with that lil (D) or (R) next to their name amd just gon do what the ? they want? Foh Bernie Sandersbis a DEMOCRAT. He is running for the DEMOCRATIC nomination. As president he would instill DEMOCRATIC principles

Ironic you tell somebody they don't know politics while not knowing much politics yourself.

I already told you before that Sanders didn't register as a democrat until announcing his presidency last year. If you're serious about actually winning the presidency being a member of one of the two parties is a necessity given our two party system. You don't just take someone that has a 40-50 year career and put them in a box they've never been in for 99% of it.

That's just as stupid as pretending that Donald Trump actually gives a ? about the Republican Party. No. He wants to win the candidacy so he's aligning himself the Republican base of voters.

And he wouldn't instill DEMOCRATIC principles. He'd instill PROGRESSIVE principals. If you don't know the difference then you should probably remove yourself from the conversation.
  • Stiff
    Options

Nah b you used all those words to make it clear that you dont know what you're talking about. Bernie Sanders is an INDEPENDENT..he's running for the democratic nomination because he CAUCASES with democrats. Sanders does NOT have a (D) next to his name..he has an (I). Sanders is to the LEFT of The mainstream Democratic party.
  • S2J
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Both of you arent understanding

Regardless of what that man's feelings WERE and how he USED to move---when relatively speaking no one knew who tha ? he was--- in order to play ball and get to the big boy stage to where we're even talking about him, he aligned himself as a DEMOCRAT

He is not Rand Paul. Rand Paul didn't convert, therefore Rand Paul is where he is, everyone's favorite outsider. No shot in hell

Bernie Sanders is no longer an outsider.

Not only do you align with democratic voters, you align with the democratic establishment. U think these mfers pledge millions so he can do wtf he want? Llls He now owes 100 favors.

That illuminati bs people speak of is real, its just not formal and its not literal.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rubio trashed Bernie last night, ? was GOAT
  • Stiff
    Options

Regardless of what that man's feelings WERE and how he USED to move---when relatively speaking no one knew who tha ? he was--- in order to play ball and get to the big boy stage to where we're even talking about him, he aligned himself as a DEMOCRAT

He is not Rand Paul. Rand Paul didn't convert, therefore Rand Paul is where he is, everyone's favorite outsider. No shot in hell

Not only do you align with democratic voters, you align with the democratic establishment. U think these mfers pledge millions so he can do wtf he want? Llls He now owes 100 favors.

That illuminati bs people speak of is real, its just not formal and its not literal.

Who pledged millions?? Dude don't even have a super pac..thats how I know you not paying attention like that
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All that political nonsense y'all talking about are missing the point,

Two most important things are
    •Budget - who's going to reduce the 500b annual deficit ( Id prefer cuts all across the board, especially defence)
    •War/Peace - Presidential powers have grown over the last 20 years without restraint, Obama been better than most but still prone to fuckery with his drone wars
  • S2J
    Options

Who pledged millions?? Dude don't even have a super pac..thats how I know you not paying attention like that

Geez. So he's not gettitn any ? money
    from 'the establishment'... So he's spending his own money on an entire presidential campaign . ..so he's GOING to spend his own money vs Donald Trump ? And win!?!?! Lls

This ? said Bernie runnin off bake sales and car washes.

ZzOMiXQ.png

Ya world. U got it.
  • zzombie
    Options
    All that political nonsense y'all talking about are missing the point,

Two most important things are
    •Budget - who's going to reduce the 500b annual deficit ( Id prefer cuts all across the board, especially defence)
    •War/Peace - Presidential powers have grown over the last 20 years without restraint, Obama been better than most but still prone to fuckery with his drone wars

you won't get an answer to your question until all this political nonsense plays out some more and that point cannot be missed.
  • zzombie
    Options
    the republicans have too many contenders when a few more of them drop out then things will become more interesting and we all will be better able to make better forecasts
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes the moral course lies within the politically possible, and sometimes the moral course lies outside of the politically possible. One of the great functions of radical candidates is to war against equivocators and opportunists who conflate these two things. Radicals expand the political imagination and, hopefully, prevent incrementalism from becoming a virtue.

Unfortunately, Sanders’s radicalism has failed in the ancient fight against white supremacy. What he proposes in lieu of reparations—job creation, investment in cities, and free higher education—is well within the Overton window, and his platform on race echoes Democratic orthodoxy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/bernie-sanders-reparations/424602/
    There is also another article he wrote 4 days ago

Yeah, about that.

So you can propose SINGLE PAYER health care and FREE COLLEGE, and tell us with a straight face that you can pay for these things without taxing anyone but Wall St.......

....but bring up any sort of reparations, and suddenly Mr Political Revolution is saying ? like its "divisive" and “its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil”? Really?

Though opposing reparations is a defensible position, discussing the issue in such thoughtless and insensitive way is distasteful. And for Sanders, the man famous for proposing such implausible (for now) schemes as free college and single-payer, to play the pragmatism card is even worse. His handling of the issue has alienated the very voters (African Americans) that he needs to win over (one recent poll shows Clinton leading Sanders among Latino and African-American voters by some 50 points). The campaign’s failure to return Ta-Nehisi Coates’s calls asking for further comment added insult to injury (and also says not very comforting things about Team Bernie’s competence).

"What’s especially frustrating about this episode is that is such a missed opportunity for Bernie to connect his democratic-socialist vision to issues of racial injustice. A number of black scholars have defined reparations in ways that that would be completely consistent with Bernie’s socialist politics. Harvard law professor Charles Ogletree, for example, supports a form of reparations that centers on universal health, education, and jobs programs. Economists William Darity Jr. and Darrick Hamilton are proponents of race-neutral “baby bonds” as a tool to narrow the racial wealth gap. It’s depressing that Sanders has given reparations so little serious consideration; does he even have close African-American advisers he consults on these issues?"

Bernie's Greatest Weakness

LOL. Aiight.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lets ask Hillary about reparations...better yet lets ask Trump.