The official 2016 NFL off season thread

Options

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 good year don't balance out 3 sub par years.

That's why he can't be the best CB.

Just like Carson Palmer ain't a top 3 QB just because of this year.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Notman had a top 5 year and according to PFF he didn't even have a better year than PP. you know. The ppl that track these things.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Notman had a top 5 year and according to PFF he didn't even have a better year than PP. you know. The ppl that track these things.

Norman: 18 pass defenses, 4 ints, 2 tds
    Peterson: 8 pass defenses, 2 ints

Those are the stats I got off of nfl.com. In my eyes Norman is a big game corner, and he's nearing that Sherman level of mastery in the cover 3. He has a nose for the ball and he has good hands sans the Super Bowl. He has to get better pressing guys at the line of scrimmage, but he's above average pressing guys at the line. Peterson has that difference maker speed, plus you factor in what he does in the return game, and you can't go wrong with either.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    804 wrote: »

Those are the stats I got off of nfl.com. In my eyes Norman is a big game corner, and he's nearing that Sherman level of mastery in the cover 3. He has a nose for the ball and he has good hands sans the Super Bowl. He has to get better pressing guys at the line of scrimmage, but he's above average pressing guys at the line. Peterson has that difference maker speed, plus you factor in what he does in the return game, and you can't go wrong with either.

Carolina runs way more cover 2 than cover 3. Much more.

That's how he can play everything short because it's Safetys over the top on both sides with the weak side and strong side lbs helping in pass coverage.
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Yall sitting here debating CB but if they have a horrible D-line they will be put on the crucifix. You can only cover someone for so long.

PP, Sherman, Norman, Talib, Revis most of the top CB in the league have pass rushers. Put them on teams without a pass rush and see how good there stats will be.

All of those CBs are good players but they are great when the QB cant just sit back there and pick them apart.

Also scheme is key. Sherman plays in a Defense that has nearly perfected their scheme w/ zone coverages. Why put my CB out there on a island if I dont have to? Let my pass rush do the work. Now all they have to do is not lose the battle in the first 4-5 seconds. In the case of a scrambling QB that may be 9-11 seconds.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Pass rush and pass coverage go hand and hand. Good pass coverage, can also give your line more time to get to the quarterback.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Everybody knows he had a good year

Ok?

But 1 year don't vault you into top 3. Especially if you been in the league 4 years.

Anybody would pick a established player over a one hit wonder.

Just like players said ODB had to prove it again after his Rookie year. And came out and did the same thing this year.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Yall sitting here debating CB but if they have a horrible D-line they will be put on the crucifix. You can only cover someone for so long.

PP, Sherman, Norman, Talib, Revis most of the top CB in the league have pass rushers. Put them on teams without a pass rush and see how good there stats will be.

All of those CBs are good players but they are great when the QB cant just sit back there and pick them apart.

Also scheme is key. Sherman plays in a Defense that has nearly perfected their scheme w/ zone coverages. Why put my CB out there on a island if I dont have to? Let my pass rush do the work. Now all they have to do is not lose the battle in the first 4-5 seconds. In the case of a scrambling QB that may be 9-11 seconds.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Pass rush and pass coverage go hand and hand. Good pass coverage, can also give your line more time to get to the quarterback.

Coverage sacks dont usually happen with man on man coverage. It is usually a zone situation. Man on man coverage sacks usually occur when a quick out or a slot underneath pass (quick 2-3 step drop passes) was called and it is covered up. Even then the DE or OLB dropped back in coverage and the qb is sacked within 3-4 seconds.

I am not saying you are wrong. A good CB needs to know his reads and be able to react. If the pass rush doesnt get there, a good CB can hold his man.

It is hard to evaluate a CB because his stats rely alot on the situation. One less pass breakup to a catch is minuscule.

Why throw a pass to PP if the other corner is a rookie third stringer?

Why throw to Talib if my RB is being covered by a LB?

That a pass breakup but the WR ran the route into his teammates area and brought the defender into the play.

It was a catch but the safety bit on the pump fake when he should have been over the top coverage on a handoff.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wanna see if Judd Apatow gonna have something to say about this Peyton Manning thing. He had so much to say about Bill Cosby.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why does ESPN keep hiring these feminists? Molly from first take said she was sick and disgusted of what Payton did,

Bruh this ? happened over 20 years ago when he was a kid in college. The only ? up thing Payton did is shame the trainer in his book in 03, but America really like to act like everyone is perfect smh
    Options
    Everybody knows he had a good year

Ok?

But 1 year don't vault you into top 3. Especially if you been in the league 4 years.

Anybody would pick a established player over a one hit wonder.

Just like players said ODB had to prove it again after his Rookie year. And came out and did the same thing this year.

I understand that sentiment, but Norman has been doing this for a season in a half. I just don't think you can call him a one year wonder, unless there is a significant drop in his play. Simply put, Norman does his job on Sundays better than most.
    Options

That's how he can play everything short because it's Safetys over the top on both sides with the weak side and strong side lbs helping in pass coverage.

Do you have an official stat, or are you just assuming they run way more cover 2?
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Do you have an official stat, or are you just assuming they run way more cover 2?

I ain't gon sit up in here and lie.

Carolina was must see TV. And I watched.

Shoutout to the NFL package.

I played ball so I know what I seen. I seen a lot more of cover 2 from Carolina.

Coleman and Harper don't cover enough ground for either one of them to be a single high safety. I have seen them run cover 3 just not that much as cover 2.

Now if y'all had a Earl Thomas or Matheui that could read and react y'all would run much more cover 3 with the length of Norman and speed of y'all other CB.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Why does ESPN keep hiring these feminists? Molly from first take said she was sick and disgusted of what Payton did,

Bruh this ? happened over 20 years ago when he was a kid in college. The only ? up thing Payton did is shame the trainer in his book in 03, but America really like to act like everyone is perfect smh

As a female she almost has to say something. It damn sure wasnt going to be it was 20 years ago. I think time has passed but they did that girl ? . The cover-up was worst than the incident.
    Options

I played ball so I know what I seen. I seen a lot more of cover 2 from Carolina.

Coleman and Harper don't cover enough ground for either one of them to be a single high safety. I have seen them run cover 3 just not that much as cover 2.

Now if y'all had a Earl Thomas or Matheui that could read and react y'all would run much more cover 3 with the length of Norman and speed of y'all other CB.

Fair enough. I want that kid outta Boise State, Darian Thompson. Coleman is a liability in coverage regardless of the picks he had.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Fair enough. I want that kid outta Boise State, Darian Thompson. Coleman is a liability in coverage regardless of the picks he had.

With y'all first round pick? I think that's a reach. @804

Y'all probably gon go offense the first two rounds.
  • nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options
    What round do you think we take a running back
    Options
    nc81 wrote: »

We don't need a running back yet. Give Artis-Payne some time to pick up the protection schemes and he'll be solid in this offense. He's patient and I think he has more explosion than Stewart at this point. I think they'll bring Tolbert back for the low too
    Options

With y'all first round pick? I think that's a reach. @804

Y'all probably gon go offense the first two rounds.

Nah Gentleman is probably taking a DE in the first round, and maybe he goes Right tackle in the second, but if it was me I'm taking Darian Thompson in the second if he's still there. I don't think he's gonna run particularly well at the combine, so maybe that'll be enough for him to drop to us.
    Options
    So if I was gonna say a round for a running back, I'd say 5-7 is gonna be where Gentleman takes one if at all @nc81
  • nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options
    I give Gettleman his props on the draft he's been nailing them I talked bad about this year's draft but Thompson and Funchess gonna be the truth
  • Shizlansky
    edited February 2016
    Options

We don't need a running back yet. Give Artis-Payne some time to pick up the protection schemes and he'll be solid in this offense. He's patient and I think he has more explosion than Stewart at this point. I think they'll bring Tolbert back for the low too

A running back that can't pick up protection schemes is the worst.

Them ? limited before snap audibles
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    I say put Funchess at TE get some Aaron Hernandez action out of him

Nah they got one of the best already at TE...Funchess is a weapon on the outside...I don't think he picked up the offense quick enough this year...

Their WR core could go from ehhh to wow next year

This could potentially be true..Ginn might be the Panthers 4th WR next year if u think about it..Benjamin 1, Brown 2 and funchess 3rd
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Norman is not top 10 till he duplicate the average year he had this year
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Norman is not top 10 till he duplicate the average year he had this year

You still ain't really explain why you feel like he's average