A Miami woman killed a teen burglar as he fled her home, police say. Should she be charged?

Options

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'm legit curious: How would this have had to play out for you guys to feel like she SHOULD have to go to jail? For example:

-He comes out of her house and is walking down the driveway, she pulls up in her car. He freezes. She hops out and they exchange words and she shoots him? Jail time or naw?

-He comes out of her house, walks down the driveway and starts walking down the sidewalk. She is coming down the street and sees him leave her house and she pulls up next to him on the street 50 feet from her house and shoots him? Jail time or naw?

-He comes out of her house and is hopping over the fence. She pulls a Willie Manchester and shoots him in the back as he is hopping the fence to get away. Jail time or naw?

Serious questions. Anyone want to tackle these?

Is anything ever black and white to you or is everything a giant hypothetical question?

? , damn near EVERYTHING is black and white to me. I said in my original post that he wasn't an imminent threat so she should have to go to jail for shooting him.

How much more black and white can I be?

But you wanna address those scenarios or na?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    I'm legit curious: How would this have had to play out for you guys to feel like she SHOULD have to go to jail? For example:

-He comes out of her house and is walking down the driveway, she pulls up in her car. He freezes. She hops out and they exchange words and she shoots him? Jail time or naw?

-He comes out of her house, walks down the driveway and starts walking down the sidewalk. She is coming down the street and sees him leave her house and she pulls up next to him on the street 50 feet from her house and shoots him? Jail time or naw?

-He comes out of her house and is hopping over the fence. She pulls a Willie Manchester and shoots him in the back as he is hopping the fence to get away. Jail time or naw?

Only legitimate one that would require jail time is the second. In 1&3 he is still on her property though it would be unfortunate if she shoot him in the back it wouldn't change him still be on her property. Of course things wouldn't be as cut in dry seeing we wouldn't know if she was threatened in the first instance and I highly doubt that she would beable to hit a moving target with a Manchester, especially since said women is suppose to be older.

Gotcha. So it's a property thin for you?

If a person is on your property and you shoot them, you shouldn't have to go to jail.

You agree or disagree with that?

illegally on your property depriving you of said property then yes.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is anything ever black and white to you or is everything a giant hypothetical question?

? , damn near EVERYTHING is black and white to me. I said in my original post that he wasn't an imminent threat so she should have to go to jail for shooting him.

Bruh the law in place made the situation black and white, you making it more complicated than it really needs to be. He was on her property, he got dealt with, the law says it was good.

End of discussion, ? all this what if she drove down the street and caught him slippin with her property while he was eating a ? she thought was a weapon. Lil ? got what was coming stop trying to spin it as more.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

He was thought. His mere presence there was a threat to her simply for the unknown factors of what he could possibly do and what he possibly could have been armed with.
  • mryounggun
    Options

Bruh the law in place made the situation black and white, you making it more complicated than it really needs to be. He was on her property, he got dealt with, the law says it was good.

End of discussion, ? all this what if she drove down the street and caught him slippin with her property while he was eating a ? she thought was a weapon. Lil ? got what was coming stop trying to spin it as more.

How am I making it complicated? The post the Munny replied to had nothing to do with the law or made any mention of the law. I asked 'How would this have had to play out for you guys to feel like she SHOULD have to go to jail?'.

I just want ? opinions. Independent of what the law says. So...what are you talking about?

Answer the questions or don't *shrugs"
  • mryounggun
    Options

Only legitimate one that would require jail time is the second. In 1&3 he is still on her property though it would be unfortunate if she shoot him in the back it wouldn't change him still be on her property. Of course things wouldn't be as cut in dry seeing we wouldn't know if she was threatened in the first instance and I highly doubt that she would beable to hit a moving target with a Manchester, especially since said women is suppose to be older.

Gotcha. So it's a property thin for you?

If a person is on your property and you shoot them, you shouldn't have to go to jail.

You agree or disagree with that?

illegally on your property depriving you of said property then yes.

Gotcha.
  • mryounggun
    Options

He was thought. His mere presence there was a threat to her simply for the unknown factors of what he could possibly do and what he possibly could have been armed with.

Stranger on your property = imminent threat because the stranger might be armed and might intend to do you harm

Got it. Thanks for your input.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Since I've shared my opinion would appreciate it if you would oblige us with your opinion.

What exactly would have made him an imminent threat?
    Would he have to need a weapon on his person? Would him voicing a threat of violence be enough? Would him taking a dominate stanch or even advancing(wither it just be a simple step) aggressively be a threat that justified her shooting him?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How am I making it complicated? The post the Munny replied to had nothing to do with the law or made any mention of the law. I asked 'How would this have had to play out for you guys to feel like she SHOULD have to go to jail?'.

I just want ? opinions. Independent of what the law says. So...what are you talking about?

You missing the point bruh, who gives a ? about the circumstances as to why she should have to go to jail for protecting her property and life?

Why even ask my ? it's pointless, you fail to realize to MANY people they property IS THEIR LIFE. ? get killed behind a couple dollars or shoes everyday, and you over here wondering how someone could want to take a life behind they HOUSE OF ALL PLACES being broken into. Lmao cut it out.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She likely won't because Florida has strong castle doctrine / stand your ground laws.

I don't think self defense laws can be used to justify the death of someone who is fleeing though. If there is no longer a threat then the use of force is no longer justifiable. At that point it's just retributive justice, which is archaic.
  • mryounggun
    Options

You missing the point bruh, who gives a ? about the circumstances as to why she should have to go to jail for protecting her property and life?

Why even ask my ? it's pointless, you fail to realize to MANY people they property IS THEIR LIFE. ? get killed behind a couple dollars or shoes everyday, and you over here wondering how someone could want to take a life behind they HOUSE OF ALL PLACES being broken into. Lmao cut it out.

Simmer down, Turbo. I'm just interested in ? opinions. Ain't that the purpose of forums?

Take a deep breath before you pass out, bro.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Since I've shared my opinion would appreciate it if you would oblige us with your opinion.

Would he have to need a weapon on his person? Would him voicing a threat of violence be enough? Would him taking a dominate stanch or even advancing(wither it just be a simple step) aggressively be a threat that justified her shooting him?

For me, him pointing some sort of weapon at her or advancing towards her or something in that vain would be 'imminent danger'.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see too many news stories with home invasions, where the inhabitant is killed to try and make up an excuse for this guy. RIP though.
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1. No jail..he's still on the property and she could say she feared for her life
    2. Jail time for sure...no imminent danger and not on her property
    3. This is a toss up...being that the shooter is female im leaning towards her going to jail but not getting indicted
  • mryounggun
    Options
    damnkp wrote: »

1. No jail..he's still on the property and she could say she feared for her life
    2. Jail time for sure...no imminent danger and not on her property
    3. This is a toss up...being that the shooter is female im leaning towards her going to jail but not getting indicted

interesting. Thanks.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

For me, him pointing some sort of weapon at her or advancing towards her or something in that vain would be 'imminent danger'.

So him threatening her or threatening to return wouldn't be enough?
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While it's an unfortunate loss of life, someone being in your home is much more than material possessions. Your home is your dwelling, your safety, where you go to sleep at night leaving yourself comepletely vulnerable.

I believe it's a basic instinct to terminate anything that violates that, especially not knowing if the person will return.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once off the property ass ? .

? that lil ? . He got got.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Yall ? weird. If you break into my house i dont care if you get away. If i see you at the corner store next day im shooting you. ? outta here condoning or supporting home invasion ? like its a joke or gta san andreas mini game.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? weird. If you break into my house i dont care if you get away. If i see you at the corner store next day im shooting you. ? outta here condoning or supporting home invasion ? like its a joke or gta san andreas mini game.

Punishing people for killing others when their lives are not in danger is not the same as condoning breaking and entering
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If catch you in my property I will ? you.

If is see you run off my property and I'm on my property I'll shot at you.

If I catch you at the corner store I would beat you till an inch of your life.

• Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

Punishing people for killing others when their lives are not in danger is not the same as condoning breaking and entering

Thst part was just me. But if you catch a ? going thru a window you going to let him escape since your life isnt in immediate danger?