Video: DJ Quik Trashes "The Life Of Pablo" & Kanye.. "His Celebrity Supersedes His Talent Right"

Options

Comments

• YapatnaJB
    YapatnaJB Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did Quick mention any music he s working on? I aint watch the interview

He said him & Problem dropping a ep together
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So let me ask ya'll a question. What would ya'll like to see Kanye do artistically?
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no issue with being critical of Kanye's music but what was the point of the Kardashian rant? The nikka was a huge celebrity before Kim.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    So let me ask ya'll a question. What would ya'll like to see Kanye do artistically?

? too subjective to really answer this. I mean you think TLOP is a dope album and I like 3 songs. Kinda hard to say what direction i want him to go. Ok I can say I wish he would scrap all singing and all use of the autotune. I just want his music to be dope. Last 2 albums been pure trash

On the flip side Quik has dropped some mediocre ? himself the last few years.
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props to quik for speaking his mind. Too many of these rappers be in interviews talking about the sad state of hiphop then wanna keep it politically correct and mention everyone thats popular when they get asked who they listen to

I disagree. If Quik is right when he says the fans aren't stupid then Kanye will fall off if his music isn't up to par. It's that simple
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props to quik for speaking his mind. Too many of these rappers be in interviews talking about the sad state of hiphop then wanna keep it politically correct and mention everyone thats popular when they get asked who they listen to

I disagree. If Quik is right when he says the fans aren't stupid then Kanye will fall off if his music isn't up to par. It's that simple

There's fans (me included) that have noted his music diminishing quality wise; he still has traces of brilliance here and there but he was once an innovator, pushing boundaries..

Now he's a copycat following trends eg was that ? ass 'Facts' dissing Nike. Song was damn awful
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Make. good. music. What kinda sign of the times Complex question is this

Real music is organic idgaf about any rappers artistic direction that's code for i fuked up

-Common, some fans were put off by Electric Circus, what do you say to that?
    -Well i went in a differnt artistic direction. ..

-Kanye, Yeezus was panned by fans what do you say to that?
    -Well i went in a differnt artistic direction. ..

Dope beats, dope rhymes man ? that dumb ?

Kanye is making the music he considers good music. Some fans are gonna grow with you and some aren't. His "real''ity is not the same as yours, so how can you say his music isn't real.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YapatnaJB wrote: »
    Did Quick mention any music he s working on? I aint watch the interview

He said him & Problem dropping a ep together

Its out ? bumps
  • WORLD8712
    WORLD8712 Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Quik is definitely a legend & by far one of the most underrated but that was unnecessary. It's one thing to criticize the music but his approach seemed to come from a place of bitterness. For one, he mentioned Ye out of nowhere (when the topic/focus was on the EP he's releasing) & then followed it up w/ things that have nothing to do w/ the music. He should've explained his issues w/ the quality of Ye's music rather than feeding into the gossip about his celebrity status/wife.

At the same time, I appreciate when artist speak candidly because it shows they're passionate about what they're doing but that type of talk (on a public platform) should be reserved for those in a person's circle or at least, could be more understandable from critics than an established artist. When I hear interviews like this, it just reinforces the issue I see w/ 'fame' in how it allows strangers w/ a platform to believe they can disrespect another stranger based on their public perception of them.
  • WORLD8712
    WORLD8712 Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options
    If this is hater talk then Nas telling all them dudes to step their rap game up in '02 is the same thing and the fact is, it's the furthest thing from that.

It's one LEGENDARY producer telling another LEGENDARY producer to do right by his fans and stop putting out this garbage and acting like its the best album of the past 20-30 years. Quik got the clout to say this.

The only mention he made of the music was him asking if it was better than 808's or Yeezus. He didn't say why he was disappointed in the quality of Pablo, instead he spoke about his celebrity status & his wife.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I used to be a heavy Kanye fan and his music nowadays is mediocre . plus his antics makes it no better

Bruh

I used to listen to his ? the day it dropped

Now whenever he put something out, I'll wait till 20+ people say it's good... then I'll get to it whenever I get to it.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah Quik might have a point musically but this seems to be a personal issue too
    Or why would he go at Ye personally and at his wife thats kinda wack
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Moments like these make me wish I heard the album so I can speak on it. My old ass is still waiting on a CD cut

I bet quik's hating ass signed up to tidal to hear his album while hes talkin ?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? been saying this, but public opinion sways so many.
  • oatmealdude
    oatmealdude Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I used to be a heavy Kanye fan and his music nowadays is mediocre . plus his antics makes it no better

i feel what you saying but man people need to stop with his antics this and that if we talkin about music his antics dont ? to do with it just Pill Cosby aint ? to do with his shows keep that ? separate everyone so caught up in the media BS that they let the music get ? in the process i see that ? all the time ? is like wdf
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recently went back to objectively listen to kanyes older albums and see if he's falling off musically. Most of his early work is just better all around from production, writing and features. Theres a few joints off of TLOP that I like a lot but a mix of wack lyrics mixed with some dumb songs makes it just average. The fact that Panda song is a bigger song than anything off the album but he spliced a piece of it into a song makes his album look like a mixtape. It's better than Yeezus but not on the the level of graduation or twisted dark fantasy.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.