Better player in his PRIME: D Wade or Allen Iverson?

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    theres no way to know if wade would have gotten them an extra win or 2, would it matter if they still lost in the first round regardless?

sure that nuggets team coulda done more, but he doesnt deserve nearly as much shade for it as he does praise for leading an overachieving team with theo ratliff as the 2nd leading scorer come on now lol

i used to harp on him not making his team better enough but, as time passed, ive grown to think he didnt even have a team at least on offense to make better for the most part.

i just think its lame that folks act like people only are fans of his cuz of crossovers and arm sleeves. this dude was a great basketball player, not just entertainer imo. i really dont think there are too many that could have done the lil bit he did in that same position without leaving or begging for help.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    theres no way to know if wade would have gotten them an extra win or 2, would it matter if they still lost in the first round regardless?

sure that nuggets team coulda done more, but he doesnt deserve nearly as much shade for it as he does praise for leading an overachieving team with theo ratliff as the 2nd leading scorer come on now lol

i used to harp on him not making his team better enough but, as time passed, ive grown to think he didnt even have a team at least on offense to make better.

we will have to agree to disagree.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A.I.
    Iverson was playing with Andre Roberson type ?

Yeah he could have passed more but was it really a worse shot than him taking ? his self

It'd be one thing if he'd played with ? who could score/knock down shots but at no point was that the case

? gave the greatest team in nba history their one playoff loss, put some respek on his name
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    people get on iverson, but praise westbrook and westbrook actually has offensive talent around him
  • O.G.
    Options
    D Wade
    Without using that tired teammate argument, I'm gonna use common sense. I'm gonna take the bigger shooting guard who is more efficient on offense, the better man to man defender and who is not selfish.

• R.D.
    Options
    A.I.
    Iyou can't discount teammates...I don't get how people won't consider that

Dwayne Wade had far more success than T Mac career wise but you not going sit in here and say Wade was a better player than T Mac

If Wade didn't have Shaq, LeBron, and Bosh, his career would probably be over by now
  • O.G.
    Options
    D Wade
    What's the point of player vs player debates if it comes down to teammates? We are all wasting our time then.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    AI loses all these type arguments to me bc of the fg%. Period point blank it cannot be overlooked.

There is a huge difference between 27 on 40% vs 27 on 45-50%

I seen way too many 30 point games with 25 shots from Iverson. It's one thing when your shot just ain't fallin but you can't make the situation even worse by taking contested fadeaways.

ur a 76ers fan

i hate to keep bringin this up but ? maybe u know better than me

u dont think who he had on the court with him was a factor? how?!

Iverson did not play with all-stars but that does not mean he was out there with recreational league players. He still had many chances to make his teammates better by passing the ball. Sometimes he did, a lot of times he did not. When a team sends a hard double at you the smart play is to pass to the open guy not try to shoot over the double. My favorite game by Iverson is not any of the 50 point games but game 7 vs Raptors when he had the 16 dimes bcuz Toronto was lockin him up. He still shot poorly but it finally clicked to him to trust his boys. He had the ability to get others involved, which automatically makes them better but he just didn't do it enough considering how much he dominated the ball. Iverson is a Sixers icon and i'm glad i got to see him play but imo he was more entertaining than a reason your team was gonna win. Casual fans want to see Iverson. Knowledgeable fans want to see Wade.

would u agree that he was out there with far less offensive talent than wade was at any point in his career? he could have don more to get his teammates involved, but imo theres only so much u can do sometimes. thats why its not a surprise that one of his best years was with carmelo in denver

Yes he had less talent to work with than Wade. But his style of play was not attracting any free agents to Philly imo. And of course his numbers are gonna go up playing with Melo. It was Melo's team and that team was deep also Iverson was motivated bcuz of the trade to Denver. Last time he was motivated after trade talk he helped get Philly to the finals. But you notice how Denver got even better when they traded Iverson for Billups? If we gonna praise Iverson for carrying that '01 squad to the finals, we need to throw some shade for losing in the first round (swept btw) with Melo, J.R. Smith, Nene, Kenyon Martin and Camby. Iverson is a entertainer he does not make your team better. I would bet my house that if Wade instead of A.I was on that Nuggets team that they would of not got got swept by L.A.

That Nuggets team was too ? stacked to be a 8 seed and then not even put up a fight in the first round.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Without using that tired teammate argument, I'm gonna use common sense. I'm gonna take the bigger shooting guard who is more efficient on offense, the better man to man defender and who is not selfish.

the teammate argument is very valid tho

this is as much a what if as "if wade was on the 2008 nuggets, they'd at least win a playoff game" but, perhaps if iverson had teammates as good in philly, he might have more 46, 47% shooting seasons instead of 40's and 41's. maybe with team mates who can actually score he wont seem so "selfish"

if this was which player im gonna take to build around, im goin wade too just off size. but its better player in his prime and its not as much of a blowout as yall are tryna make it seem imo
  • O.G.
    Options
    D Wade

the teammate argument is very valid tho

this is as much a what if as "if wade was on the 2008 nuggets, they'd at least win a playoff game" but, perhaps if iverson had teammates as good in philly, he might have more 46, 47% shooting seasons instead of 40's and 41's. maybe with team mates who can actually score he wont seem so "selfish"

if this was which player im gonna take to build around, im goin wade too just off size. but its better player in his prime and its not as much of a blowout as yall are tryna make it seem imo

I never said it is a blowout. It's very valid debate. To me defensive is just as important as scoring. Player vs player. Wade is clearly better defensively which makes him the better player. Even if Wade shot as poor and much as Iverson he would still add more to a team bcuz he is not a liability on defense like Iverson was a lot of games. Good coaches knew how to get him caught in cross matchups with other bigger SG's. I watched it happen time and time again.

I still say Wade on the Nuggets is a 7 game series vs L.A. lol
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A.I.
    Iverson...wade never did ? w/o Shaq or bron..
    Iverson was just a better player to me..imagine if dude practiced
  • psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    Iverson...wade never did ? w/o Shaq or bron..
    Iverson was just a better player to me..imagine if dude practiced

He's the reason the USA basketball program was revamped. Think about how ? up you have to be to make the USA TRY to win games. They removed bad influence A.I. and brought in Kobe, a true professional. That one summer, he made LBJ, Wade, and Melo better defenders... A.I. had them lil ? skipping practice.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    ? , A.I. is the reason we got a bronze medal. That ? dead to me.

Duncan was on that team too now.

Don't just body AI lol
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    Like anyone would gravitate to Duncan. ? got the aura of a dead leaf.

Nobody is gravitating towards Kobe because he's not that type of player.
  • R.D.
    Options
    A.I.
    Iverson= the Tupac of Basketball. Overrated by ignorant, directionless, fatherless ? , when their contemporaries were clearly more skilled. ? can say A.I all they want, just admit you needed someone to look up to also.

Rants like this expose you dunny

Other were clearly more skilled ?

You know how skilled you have to be to be undersized and positionless and dominate games

Just admit Iverson reminded you of the dad you never knew

Not one basketball explanation in this post, they were more skilled? Who was more skilled, why were they more skilled, what couldn't he do, expound on it ? Wade more skilled than Iverson? Talk about it, what skills?

• psychobutcher
    Options
    D Wade
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Like anyone would gravitate to Duncan. ? got the aura of a dead leaf.

Nobody is gravitating towards Kobe because he's not that type of player.

Both of us are from the N.O., so no N.O. on N.O. violence... But Lebron, Melo, and Dwade had Kobe's poster of their wall. THAT alone matters, bruh.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    I still don't get the Iverson was a father figure thing for the life of me, I never even rocked jerseys or headbands, and my braids were different lmao
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A.I.
    Watching that showtime doc on him right now. Didnt know all that he went through.
  • psychobutcher
    Options
    D Wade
    I still don't get the Iverson was a father figure thing for the life of me, I never even rocked jerseys or headbands, and my braids were different lmao

Who would admit that ? ???
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    AI loses all these type arguments to me bc of the fg%. Period point blank it cannot be overlooked.

There is a huge difference between 27 on 40% vs 27 on 45-50%

I seen way too many 30 point games with 25 shots from Iverson. It's one thing when your shot just ain't fallin but you can't make the situation even worse by taking contested fadeaways.

ur a 76ers fan

i hate to keep bringin this up but ? maybe u know better than me

u dont think who he had on the court with him was a factor? how?!

Iverson did not play with all-stars but that does not mean he was out there with recreational league players. He still had many chances to make his teammates better by passing the ball. Sometimes he did, a lot of times he did not. When a team sends a hard double at you the smart play is to pass to the open guy not try to shoot over the double. My favorite game by Iverson is not any of the 50 point games but game 7 vs Raptors when he had the 16 dimes bcuz Toronto was lockin him up. He still shot poorly but it finally clicked to him to trust his boys. He had the ability to get others involved, which automatically makes them better but he just didn't do it enough considering how much he dominated the ball. Iverson is a Sixers icon and i'm glad i got to see him play but imo he was more entertaining than a reason your team was gonna win. Casual fans want to see Iverson. Knowledgeable fans want to see Wade.

would u agree that he was out there with far less offensive talent than wade was at any point in his career? he could have don more to get his teammates involved, but imo theres only so much u can do sometimes. thats why its not a surprise that one of his best years was with carmelo in denver

Yes he had less talent to work with than Wade. But his style of play was not attracting any free agents to Philly imo. And of course his numbers are gonna go up playing with Melo. It was Melo's team and that team was deep also Iverson was motivated bcuz of the trade to Denver. Last time he was motivated after trade talk he helped get Philly to the finals. But you notice how Denver got even better when they traded Iverson for Billups? If we gonna praise Iverson for carrying that '01 squad to the finals, we need to throw some shade for losing in the first round (swept btw) with Melo, J.R. Smith, Nene, Kenyon Martin and Camby. Iverson is a entertainer he does not make your team better. I would bet my house that if Wade instead of A.I was on that Nuggets team that they would of not got got swept by L.A.

And he had Stackhouse one year too
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Ehh, maybe ? who don't seek validation from cacs pretending to be black online?
  • psychobutcher
    Options
    D Wade

Ehh, maybe ? who don't seek validation from cacs pretending to be black online?

Or maybe ? could've not been lame from jump.