Better player in his PRIME: D Wade or Allen Iverson?

Options

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A.I.
    So ILL wrote: »
    If A.I. were Wade's size (6'5", 220), he probably would've been the GOAT guard next to Mike. Him being under 6' and 160 pounds putting in work like he did makes him that much more legendary.

It was a lot of players his size doing the same thing

Huh? Name 5 players A.I.'s size that put up the numbers and performances he did.

Zeke
    Kevin Johnson
    John Lucas
    Nate Archibald
    Calvin Murphy

Nope

No MVPs here
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    I'm a huge Iverson fan being that I'm originally from Virginia and he was a fun guy to watch play growing up But Wade is the better player in his prime for the simple fact that he is way more versatile over all.

The funniest thing to all of this is the fact that their numbers are very similar if you look at advance metrics besides the fact that Wade has a better shooting %.

I will also say that when Iverson played with Carmelo he had some of his most efficient shooting seasons in his career so maybe if he would've had a solid number 1 or 2 scoring option playing with him he would've been more efficient scoring. But Wade was pretty damn efficient even when he was by his lonesome which is pretty impressive
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »
    If A.I. were Wade's size (6'5", 220), he probably would've been the GOAT guard next to Mike. Him being under 6' and 160 pounds putting in work like he did makes him that much more legendary.

It was a lot of players his size doing the same thing

Huh? Name 5 players A.I.'s size that put up the numbers and performances he did.

Zeke
    Kevin Johnson
    John Lucas
    Nate Archibald
    Calvin Murphy

Nosign. Those guys were short guards, but they weren't ? on people and scoring 50 points in the finals.

Zeke didn't give buckets out???
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    Although they are technically two different positions
    Zeke >> AI

• TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.
    I'm a huge Iverson fan being that I'm originally from Virginia and he was a fun guy to watch play growing up But Wade is the better player in his prime for the simple fact that he is way more versatile over all.

The funniest thing to all of this is the fact that their numbers are very similar if you look at advance metrics besides the fact that Wade has a better shooting %.

I will also say that when Iverson played with Carmelo he had some of his most efficient shooting seasons in his career so maybe if he would've had a solid number 1 or 2 scoring option playing with him he would've been more efficient scoring. But Wade was pretty damn efficient even when he was by his lonesome which is pretty impressive

Numbers are very similar but iverson also....

-averaged more points per game
    -more steals per game
    -more assist per game
    -better 3pt %
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    D Wade
    TheGOAT wrote: »

I will also say that when Iverson played with Carmelo he had some of his mo
    st efficient shooting seasons in his career so maybe if he would've had a solid number 1 or 2 scoring option playing with him he would've been more efficient scoring. But Wade was pretty damn efficient even when he was by his lonesome which is pretty impressive

-more steals per game
    -more assist per game
    -better 3pt %

If you look at the Per 36 of Wade and Iverson their numbers are very similar

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/share-mem.fcgi?id=hVYGw

Raw stats per game is very misleading and is heavily influenced by how many minutes a player plays and how much their usage is.

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    AI averaged more points because he took more shots that's obvious.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.
    AI averaged more points because he took more shots that's obvious.

He had to. Wade had WAY better teammates than Iverson.

Its not like the fg % is so much worse than wade. 42% to 48%

And he still averaged more assists.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    6% is a lot when it comes to fg percentage, to be fair

but as u said that some try to discount, ai had no help teammate wise a lot of them years
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    Wade is more clutch and takes better care of his body
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.

Iverson playoff stats >>>> wades
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.
    The only thing Iverson didnt do right was how he let his ego ? up the end of his career.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade

What that get him?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.
    Beta wrote: »

What that get him?

Are we talkin who the better player was or who had better team?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D Wade
    Lol sorry I'm too emotionally invested

Let me get up on out here...

3d4b1ebeba260716d3205f30143f2674.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A.I.

st efficient shooting seasons in his career so maybe if he would've had a solid number 1 or 2 scoring option playing with him he would've been more efficient scoring. But Wade was pretty damn efficient even when he was by his lonesome which is pretty impressive

-more steals per game
    -more assist per game
    -better 3pt %

Raw stats per game is very misleading and is heavily influenced by how many minutes a player plays and how much their usage is.

I don't think the bold is such a bad thing. After all, being able to keep your star player out there for longer is a big benefit to the team.

Also that per 36 ? can be biased too. A faster paced team offense will make players look better. Miami played a lot of uptempo ball leading to quick scores for the stars. Philly's game wasn't like that, and AI in particular wasted a lot of time dribbling around when he had the ball. So it's possible Wade was more productive in less time through nothing in particular associated with him.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    D Wade
    Yo ? ass Biz stop making good ass threads in CheapSeats (I only post herr to get away from you posting all over The Reason geek ass ? ). Plus, I hate ya wrestling fan ass. Imma go wack ya post now ? ? .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A.I.
    Yo ? ass Biz stop making good ass threads in CheapSeats (I only post herr to get away from you posting all over The Reason geek ass ? ). Plus, I hate ya wrestling fan ass. Imma go wack ya post now ? ? .

Most of your threads are Wack and you bring an element of cornball ? wackness to the CS but it gets people posting outside of the stickies which isn't bad
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    A.I.
    15yrs ago today
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    D Wade

-more steals per game
    -more assist per game
    -better 3pt %

I don't think the bold is such a bad thing. After all, being able to keep your star player out there for longer is a big benefit to the team.

Also that per 36 ? can be biased too. A faster paced team offense will make players look better. Miami played a lot of uptempo ball leading to quick scores for the stars. Philly's game wasn't like that, and AI in particular wasted a lot of time dribbling around when he had the ball. So it's possible Wade was more productive in less time through nothing in particular associated with him.

I agree per36 can be a bit misleading (because any stat can be used to shape a certain agenda) but I think it is a bit better than just regular bare bones averages because it evens out the numbers for comparison sake.

It's easier for a person to have better bare bones averages if they play more minutes, shoot more and have the ball more.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    D Wade
    R.D. wrote: »

Most of your threads are Wack and you bring an element of cornball ? wackness to the CS but it gets people posting outside of the stickies which isn't bad
    I didnt run from Du tho. Ijs. Pull up ? .
  • R.D.
    Options
    A.I.
    Point proven
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    D Wade
    Point proven
    Got a reaction says more than anything you can type. Ijs.
  • R.D.
    Options
    A.I.
    I'm on my path brother

Keep up the good work
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    D Wade
    I'm on my path brother