Snoop Dogg Says We Should Boycott "Roots"

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I find these types of movies to be beneficial. They are historical pieces that when put in context can be a source of inspiration.

If, you're tired of slave movies then you should be tired of gangster, ? , drugs and hoe movies as well.

i agree. but this fits into the lifestyle idea some people want to live.

i bet more people got and watch scarface in their crib then redtails

Red Tails was a horrible movie. Great cinematics but writing was poor and acting wasn't that great. Traditional Lucas Film.

But I'm ready to see the Nat Turner movie.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not getting the outrage (again). We all are very aware that black people love sitting around talking about slavery. It comes up literally every five minutes in conversations. It's impossible to escape. But suddenly a movie is too much to bear?...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    this guy was speaking the truth also

https://youtu.be/xug6gr5vFkA
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh I see what it is now. ...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I find these types of movies to be beneficial. They are historical pieces that when put in context can be a source of inspiration.

If, you're tired of slave movies then you should be tired of gangster, ? , drugs and hoe movies as well.

Red Tails was a horrible movie. Great cinematics but writing was poor and acting wasn't that great. Traditional Lucas Film.

horrible....whatever.

information shouldnt need to be masked in entertainment.

paid in full was a terrible movie but the storyline was what carried it not the acting or writing.

porque hermono! porque!
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GoldieTV wrote: »
    Lol, alot of ? said in this thread already. There's so many stories in black history to be told, from black wall street to all the kings and queens in africa who they continue to white wash like Cleopatra. Atleast we're finally getting a Nat Turner flick soon. There's no reason to keep rehashing the same slave movies and all they do is add a "white savior" to the movie to make white people feel good. I read through all that ? .

And foh with that "well wasnt snoop in soul plane" ? , I bet yall parents was like "well wasnt he a ? " everytime Malcolm went to give speeches. ? corny af.

part of me wants to see Black Wall Street brought to the big screen, but then i know the other half of me will want to take off work for a couple of days after seeing what the white folks ended up doing

Thats why i watch Rosewood on the weekends so i have time to compose myself before returning to work.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The thing that's funny to me is people out here trying to justify the new version of Roots talking about "my kids need to know our history" like the OG Roots ain't been coming on tv every year since it came out. I'm not going to necessarily say I'm tired of slave movies, but them ? do come out quite frequently. I mean I ain't never seen a movie about a black inventor or anything not even George Washington Carver. I'm not messing with new Roots man, I'm just not. Oh well.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

horrible....whatever.

information shouldnt need to be masked in entertainment.

paid in full was a terrible movie but the storyline was what carried it not the acting or writing.

porque hermono! porque!

Movie was inaccurate and weak, this is part of the reason why it wasn't getting green lit. But i did saw it and tried to support it but it wasn't a strong movie that I would show my kids, I'll talk about them. Plus, there are better movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

Better movie

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2012/01/film-review-red-tails-george-lucas

Our history should be written better and it was black writers who wrote it, but as I stated our ancestors deserve nothing, but the best performances.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    We should never forget our past...
    that past includes more than slave narratives and we need more of those stories told.

Exactly, 200,000 years of African history and funny how we find this.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/822646-15000-year-old-houses-found-in-africa-show-advanced-skills/

Let's do more to show the future what we actually have done accomplished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tichit

http://www.academia.edu/1615727/Tichitt-Walata_and_the_Middle_Niger_evidence_for_cultural_contact_in_the_second_millennium_Be
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    we love to whine and conplain about what we dont do and should do, but this situation brought to mind the beauty and preserverance of our people

the little fragmented identity we DO have is the result of our own doing. I'm not that old and i grew up being taught that man originated from Mesopotamia. ..while elijah muhammed been telling us tge black man was the first on earth since the damn 40s...only within the last literal few years that truth began to ring valid beyond cult circles... i aint gonna turn this into a titangraph, but as much ? thats out there that we "need to do" lets not ? on what we have AND CONTINUE TO DO.

we like to say were our own worst enemy, but ? were our own saving grace. were SOLEY responsible for the half assed sanity were clinging too now. our authors historians orators musicians etc laid a prideful foundation and when ? like this comes up, it becomes more n more apparent

imagine a world where there was NOO other view of ourselves outside of the subject at hand, sanitized school history, tv etc

Hollywood aint nothing but the sandbox, fantasy toy chest of white people. accept it for what it is
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell Nah, Snoop needs to put the blunt down.
    Boycotting would be a waste of time and energy. Oh wait, TV show. Simply don't wat h it close thread. I might check it out though.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True. Sad realty is, they don't know they are slaves.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    we love to whine and conplain about what we dont do and should do, but this situation brought to mind the beauty and preserverance of our people

the little fragmented identity we DO have is the result of our own doing. I'm not that old and i grew up being taught that man originated from Mesopotamia. ..while elijah muhammed been telling us tge black man was the first on earth since the damn 40s...only within the last literal few years that truth began to ring valid beyond cult circles... i aint gonna turn this into a titangraph, but as much ? thats out there that we "need to do" lets not ? on what we have AND CONTINUE TO DO.

we like to say were our own worst enemy, but ? were our own saving grace. were SOLEY responsible for the half assed sanity were clinging too now. our authors historians orators musicians etc laid a prideful foundation and when ? like this comes up, it becomes more n more apparent

imagine a world where there was NOO other view of ourselves outside of the subject at hand, sanitized school history, tv etc

Hollywood aint nothing but the sandbox, fantasy toy chest of white people. accept it for what it is

Great post.

Like any other form of entertainment if, it doesn't suit you then turn the channel, flip the dial or clicky the button. I don't get the point of bashing or trying to dismiss our history.

I understand a need for balance but if you get rid of one for another that's not balance either. We are always complaining about the wrong ? . Instead of these smart dumb negros railing against conditions that are damn near identical to the times of slavery then making the exact correlation why things remain almost unchanged, we turn the proverbial gun on our own.

Let these same negros start talking about enough with the Holocaust movies already.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

It's not that we don't know that, but we want to see more than our captivity as well. That's really it and we want to see more fantasy, sci fi and other depictions than a few depictions. We are the most diverse group of humans on this planet and lived in very diverse ways of life from time memorial to present day.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait... this isn't the same Snoop that makes albums about doing drugs, cartoon pimping and glorifying gangbanging is it? Someone please tell me there's another Snoop out there with at least a little more credibility in terms of speaking out on the way black people are portrayed in the media.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    WATCHIN ROOTS>LOVE N HIPHOP

You ? shouldn't be watching that ? either.

But nobodies boycotting that

Its not about boycotting or some kind of group think. You should just know and do better for self.

So you don't agree with snoops boycott?

I'm saying I don't need snoop to open my eyes to ? . I been not ? with that type of ? for years. Snoop nothing more than a talking head to me.
    Stay petty tho.

But we talking about boycotting though....
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

It's not that we don't know that, but we want to see more than our captivity as well. That's really it and we want to see more fantasy, sci fi and other depictions than a few depictions. We are the most diverse group of humans on this planet and lived in very diverse ways of life from time memorial to present day.

True but every slave movie\story isn't exactly the same. "12 years a slave" isn't "Roots"and "Roots" isn't a "Prince among slaves".

We could be opening Pandora's box here. How long before people don't want to hear about Nat Turner, or Black Wall street? What I find is people that haven't seen original "Roots" haven't seen "Hidden Colors", "Slavery by another name" or "Banished". For men history is to inform and build knowledge. What good do we server ourselves by killing off our own history?
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? will smith tho
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GoldieTV wrote: »

And foh with that "well wasnt snoop in soul plane" ? , I bet yall parents was like "well wasnt he a ? " everytime Malcolm went to give speeches. ? corny af.

No ? .

Snoop complaint is we shouldn't watch bc it perpetuates the same image. As if soulplane was a positive fresh take of black culture. Soul plane was not o my a horrible film it was chop full of stereotypes.

And malcom x and snoop aren't the same. Being a movie critic while wearing a darknlovely scarf and a revolutionary during Jim crow era isn't the same. We not comparing life experiences we strictly talking about work.

Stupid comparison
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

True but every slave movie\story isn't exactly the same. "12 years a slave" isn't "Roots"and "Roots" isn't a "Prince among slaves".

We could be opening Pandora's box here. How long before people don't want to hear about Nat Turner, or Black Wall street? What I find is people that haven't seen original "Roots" haven't seen "Hidden Colors", "Slavery by another name" or "Banished". For men history is to inform and build knowledge. What good do we server ourselves by killing off our own history?

12 years as a slave was good, but we are getting back to back and you know how cautious we are due to the history of this country. It's not that we shouldn't have another slave movie, I can easily show many different movies to the youth. Now, I want them to see something that shows what happens when they are in control of resources, government, economics, land and etc and how we truly operate. Sometimes it's not enough to just read or hear about it but see it.

I think that's what everyone is trying to say and another factor is that it's always a White support which did happen, but not as a frequent as the films would led you to believe. Sometimes it's because there is something to gain and if they want to show good white folks why isn't there a film for John Brown?