Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    we love to whine and conplain about what we dont do and should do, but this situation brought to mind the beauty and preserverance of our people

the little fragmented identity we DO have is the result of our own doing. I'm not that old and i grew up being taught that man originated from Mesopotamia. ..while elijah muhammed been telling us tge black man was the first on earth since the damn 40s...only within the last literal few years that truth began to ring valid beyond cult circles... i aint gonna turn this into a titangraph, but as much ? thats out there that we "need to do" lets not ? on what we have AND CONTINUE TO DO.

we like to say were our own worst enemy, but ? were our own saving grace. were SOLEY responsible for the half assed sanity were clinging too now. our authors historians orators musicians etc laid a prideful foundation and when ? like this comes up, it becomes more n more apparent

imagine a world where there was NOO other view of ourselves outside of the subject at hand, sanitized school history, tv etc

Hollywood aint nothing but the sandbox, fantasy toy chest of white people. accept it for what it is

It's not that we don't know that, but we want to see more than our captivity as well. That's really it and we want to see more fantasy, sci fi and other depictions than a few depictions. We are the most diverse group of humans on this planet and lived in very diverse ways of life from time memorial to present day.

True but every slave movie\story isn't exactly the same. "12 years a slave" isn't "Roots"and "Roots" isn't a "Prince among slaves".

We could be opening Pandora's box here. How long before people don't want to hear about Nat Turner, or Black Wall street? What I find is people that haven't seen original "Roots" haven't seen "Hidden Colors", "Slavery by another name" or "Banished". For men history is to inform and build knowledge. What good do we server ourselves by killing off our own history?

12 years as a slave was good, but we are getting back to back and you know how cautious we are due to the history of this country. It's not that we shouldn't have another slave movie, I can easily show many different movies to the youth. Now, I want them to see something that shows what happens when they are in control of resources, government, economics, land and etc and how we truly operate. Sometimes it's not enough to just read or hear about it but see it.

I think that's what everyone is trying to say and another factor is that it's always a White support which did happen, but not as a frequent as the films would led you to believe. Sometimes it's because there is something to gain and if they want to show good white folks why isn't there a film for John Brown?

Ultimately what I am saying is, we need to stop ? on our own. I am of the opinion, especially in public if we don't have anything nice to say then we shouldn't say anything at all. Roots, and movies like it do not HARM us as a people. Certainly not anymore then the degrading music, gangster, ? , hoe images we get bombarded with daily.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    we love to whine and conplain about what we dont do and should do, but this situation brought to mind the beauty and preserverance of our people

the little fragmented identity we DO have is the result of our own doing. I'm not that old and i grew up being taught that man originated from Mesopotamia. ..while elijah muhammed been telling us tge black man was the first on earth since the damn 40s...only within the last literal few years that truth began to ring valid beyond cult circles... i aint gonna turn this into a titangraph, but as much ? thats out there that we "need to do" lets not ? on what we have AND CONTINUE TO DO.

we like to say were our own worst enemy, but ? were our own saving grace. were SOLEY responsible for the half assed sanity were clinging too now. our authors historians orators musicians etc laid a prideful foundation and when ? like this comes up, it becomes more n more apparent

imagine a world where there was NOO other view of ourselves outside of the subject at hand, sanitized school history, tv etc

Hollywood aint nothing but the sandbox, fantasy toy chest of white people. accept it for what it is

It's not that we don't know that, but we want to see more than our captivity as well. That's really it and we want to see more fantasy, sci fi and other depictions than a few depictions. We are the most diverse group of humans on this planet and lived in very diverse ways of life from time memorial to present day.

True but every slave movie\story isn't exactly the same. "12 years a slave" isn't "Roots"and "Roots" isn't a "Prince among slaves".

We could be opening Pandora's box here. How long before people don't want to hear about Nat Turner, or Black Wall street? What I find is people that haven't seen original "Roots" haven't seen "Hidden Colors", "Slavery by another name" or "Banished". For men history is to inform and build knowledge. What good do we server ourselves by killing off our own history?

12 years as a slave was good, but we are getting back to back and you know how cautious we are due to the history of this country. It's not that we shouldn't have another slave movie, I can easily show many different movies to the youth. Now, I want them to see something that shows what happens when they are in control of resources, government, economics, land and etc and how we truly operate. Sometimes it's not enough to just read or hear about it but see it.

I think that's what everyone is trying to say and another factor is that it's always a White support which did happen, but not as a frequent as the films would led you to believe. Sometimes it's because there is something to gain and if they want to show good white folks why isn't there a film for John Brown?

Ultimately what I am saying is, we need to stop ? on our own. I am of the opinion, especially in public if we don't have anything nice to say then we shouldn't say anything at all. Roots, and movies like it do not HARM us as a people. Certainly not anymore then the degrading music, gangster, ? , hoe images we get bombarded with daily.

I'm certainly against the later and we are among our own on this site. We have every right to say if we are burned out on slave movies and express a desire to see more of history prior to the Trans-Atlantic slave trade or Jim Crow which are very important historical eras for our people, but we want to see our people in other lights as well.

I study slavery and jim crow but I balance it out studying prior to those eras and our recent eras and our successes and losses.

Also I didn't have one comment on that Nzinga thread I created with the whole movie created by Angolans themselves.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell Nah, Snoop needs to put the blunt down.
    I find these types of movies to be beneficial. They are historical pieces that when put in context can be a source of inspiration.

If, you're tired of slave movies then you should be tired of gangster, ? , drugs and hoe movies as well.

These same ? negros will celebrate movies like "Menace II Society."

These same ? negros will celebrate gangsta rap and reject any criticism of it.

These negros are just confused AF.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    I find these types of movies to be beneficial. They are historical pieces that when put in context can be a source of inspiration.

If, you're tired of slave movies then you should be tired of gangster, ? , drugs and hoe movies as well.

These same ? negros will celebrate movies like "Menace II Society."

These same ? negros will celebrate gangsta rap and reject any criticism of it.

These negros are just confused AF.

Never seen "Menance II Society", don't listen nor celebrate gangsta rap.

Sorry, If I burst your bubble, but I would like to see a Mansa Musa, Akenhaten(done properly), Imhotep, Queen Nzinga, Ashanti Rebellion, Igbo Rebellion, Yoruba Orisha movie, Shango movie, any story of Benin showing the wall of Benin bigger and longer than the great wall of china.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Checking roots out right now and this ? dope as ? so far......

Snoop my ? but he ignorant as ? for boycotting something without even checking it out.....Some slave flicks be dropping gems.....

This ? showing how the Mandinka was being trafficked....also showing how the Mandinka lived....Mandinka are more than 90% Muslim.....I say that to say its a large percentage of Muslims that were trafficked in the slave trade...showing folks that they weren't Christians before slavery....More than likely they were Muslim or practiced some traditional African spiritual system.

This ? come into play when you study yourself and get your DNA checked in all that....Got a DNA test and got my raw data analyzed....Mandinka makes up more than half of my DNA that was analyzed...I always had a strong connection to Islam and officially reverted to Islam a couple years back....

Underground was dope too....this ? dont kno what he talking about. All this relates to whats going on now from slaves needing a "pass" to travel from plantation to plantation (drivers license), slave patrols (police officers), getting whipped (fines and fees).....

Take the emotion out and study the flicks....

Agreed on the bolded. I think I remember people here saying they wouldn't watch it. I was skeptical but it was really well done and I look forward to the next season.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    For sure not watching it now. You two ^^ are long time established idiots on here.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GoldieTV wrote: »
    Lol, alot of ? said in this thread already. There's so many stories in black history to be told, from black wall street to all the kings and queens in africa who they continue to white wash like Cleopatra. Atleast we're finally getting a Nat Turner flick soon. There's no reason to keep rehashing the same slave movies and all they do is add a "white savior" to the movie to make white people feel good. I read through all that ? .

And foh with that "well wasnt snoop in soul plane" ? , I bet yall parents was like "well wasnt he a ? " everytime Malcolm went to give speeches. ? corny af.

Honestly, I think they just modernized the film so it was palatable for a younger audience. It's not for you, me, or Snoop but kids black, white, or whatever that don't know the story. If they don't have context then movies about Nat Turner won't make sense.

I get why people are tired of this narrative, but the story has value.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MissK wrote: »

Snoop my ? but he ignorant as ? for boycotting something without even checking it out.....Some slave flicks be dropping gems.....

This ? showing how the Mandinka was being trafficked....also showing how the Mandinka lived....Mandinka are more than 90% Muslim.....I say that to say its a large percentage of Muslims that were trafficked in the slave trade...showing folks that they weren't Christians before slavery....More than likely they were Muslim or practiced some traditional African spiritual system.

This ? come into play when you study yourself and get your DNA checked in all that....Got a DNA test and got my raw data analyzed....Mandinka makes up more than half of my DNA that was analyzed...I always had a strong connection to Islam and officially reverted to Islam a couple years back....

Underground was dope too....this ? dont kno what he talking about. All this relates to whats going on now from slaves needing a "pass" to travel from plantation to plantation (drivers license), slave patrols (police officers), getting whipped (fines and fees).....

Agreed on the bolded. I think I remember people here saying they wouldn't watch it. I was skeptical but it was really well done and I look forward to the next season.

since i trust ya opinion, and you gave it the cosign, im'a check it out
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

They said there was 1/3rd muslims in the slave populations, but from my families DNA shows Benin and they practice Voodoo, naturalists people.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

I think I will wait until Nat Turner movie come out....I'm ready for the Garvey biopic though. Also, Watch the Queen Nzinga movie.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need a Paul Robeson movie
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

since i trust ya opinion, and you gave it the cosign, im'a check it out

? ...

giphy.gif

we cool like that tho
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

They said there was 1/3rd muslims in the slave populations, but from my families DNA shows Benin and they practice Voodoo, naturalists people.

I got all of that in me too....I don't deny any part of my ancestry....

This might sound crazy but I was having a dream a few years ago and a voice clear as day said "Benin" real loud then I woke up....this was before I even knew what Benin was I had never heard the word before that....I woke up and searched what it was I spelled it Benin and everything...so I kno I have a connection with Benin....I still do a lil research on Benin every now and then.

Dope! Those cats weren't no ? ass ? , sad to find out they were taking kids when they were working with the cattle. You heard about that slave ship wreckage and the graves were filled with no adults. Smh, that's how they had little resistance but even so those teenagers fought those ? and a lot of systems weren't brought because they were too young to be introduce the heavy knowledge at a young age.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Can we get a movie on Mansa Musa or King Tut with black people playing these roles.
    Cosign or A movie about Bejamin Banneker... Fredreick Douglas. Haitian Revoloution...

Shout out Nate Parker for that Nat Turner movie tho.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    These slave shows are historical porn for white people. ? how "good" it is, that's a ? ass argument anyway. You wanna give ? accolades for how convincingly they picked cotton? ? that. Leave that job to the Oscars.

And on the History Channel of all places, right? Those ? will will give you every nook and cranny of a romantized Europe, but black folks? Have they shown a documentary like Hidden Colors? So why defend them remaking Roots of all things?

You can't be out here half-assed. Racism has infected all facets of life. That means calling it out in the media, just like you would against police.

Besides, Snoops got youth programs and charity efforts under his belt at least. ? i aint done myself, so I'll respect the message at least. Dusty gang ? aside, it doesn't mean the man is wrong on this.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.

This ? just ranting and raving.... was the roots movie about the madinka tribe or was it about slavery???
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im not gonna lie , i was on some "? roots" ? too when i saw the previews.

I caught a lil bit of it last nite after the game went off, and the scene where the slaves on the ship almost overthrow/? all the white ppl was pretty dope.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    kzzl wrote: »
    These slave shows are historical porn for white people. ? how "good" it is, that's a ? ass argument anyway. You wanna give ? accolades for how convincingly they picked cotton? ? that. Leave that job to the Oscars.

And on the History Channel of all places, right? Those ? will will give you every nook and cranny of a romantized Europe, but black folks? Have they shown a documentary like Hidden Colors? So why defend them remaking Roots of all things?

You can't be out here half-assed. Racism has infected all facets of life. That means calling it out in the media, just like you would against police.

Besides, Snoops got youth programs and charity efforts under his belt at least. ? i aint done myself, so I'll respect the message at least. Dusty gang ? aside, it doesn't mean the man is wrong on this.

the-clap-o.gif
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

i agree. but this fits into the lifestyle idea some people want to live.

i bet more people got and watch scarface in their crib then redtails

Red Tails was a horrible movie. Great cinematics but writing was poor and acting wasn't that great. Traditional Lucas Film.

But I'm ready to see the Nat Turner movie.

horrible....whatever.

information shouldnt need to be masked in entertainment.

paid in full was a terrible movie but the storyline was what carried it not the acting or writing.

porque hermono! porque!

Education is always masked in entertainment. Hell we teach children the alphabet through singing a damn song
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell Nah, Snoop needs to put the blunt down.
    We should never forget our past...
    that past includes more than slave narratives and we need more of those stories told.

It's more than just pinning that Narrative on Africans though, we can't forget how Europeans thoughts of the world and treated every other civilization they came into contact with: letting that ? go just makes it more likely that future generations will perpetrate the same crimes.
  • CEOFABRIC
    CEOFABRIC Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    The thing about Snoop is he will say things like this one minute but shuck and jive with Martha Stewart the next minute. I guess that is the dichotomy of man. Give him credit for speaking out still.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoop could always take his money and hire a staff to make something different with blacks ...out wait. TOO MUCH LOGIC.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Yea, He made a point.
    [img]http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-facepalm-Michael-Dorn-Worf-Star-Trek-Sigh-? -Tired-Are-you-kidding-me-Are-you-? -kidding-me-Disappointed-GIF.gif[/img]
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options