Mexico deports its own Afro-Mexicans to Haiti because they don't look "Mexican"

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
"The police made me sing the national anthem three times because they thought I was not Mexican," said el Chogo Bandeno, a black Mexican singer-songwriter. "I had to list the governors of five states too."

Fortunately his rendition of the anthem and his knowledge of political leaders convinced the police to leave him alone, but other Afro-Mexicans have not been so fortunate.

"One was deported to Honduras and the other to Haiti because the police insisted that in Mexico there are no black people. Despite having Mexican ID, they were deported."

With the help of the Mexican consulates in Haiti they were able to return but were offered no apology or compensation, Lopez says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35981727

And some of you out here fighting for amnesty and undocumented rights for illegal immigrants.
SMH.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    but they love canelo tho
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Build the wall
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    BUILD THE ? WALL
    mc317 wrote: »
    Build the wall

Along with mining the border, having it patrolled by armed drones, and giving the Border Patrol, "Shoot to ? ," orders.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    And some of you out here fighting for amnesty and undocumented rights for illegal immigrants.
    SMH.

Really tho....

When a lot of the black "activists" talk they continually mention "blacks and latinos".
    When a lot of the Latino advocates talk they talk about Latinos and don't even mention blacks. Really why should they.....? And why do blacks always wanna mention them and open the door for "sharing slices of the pie". It's stupid.

If you want to climb up the ladder you're going to have to climb past ppl. Only a naive ? is gonna think we are all (races) gonna come up together and be equal all the way around. You better start looking for advantages more so than "equality".

I always thought that it was mainly Puerto Ricans that we are talking about. There are plenty of Black Latinos though so really to me it's redundant. But still, that saying came from a time when they did get down with us and the Black Panthers.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    SMH.

Really tho....

When a lot of the black "activists" talk they continually mention "blacks and latinos".
    When a lot of the Latino advocates talk they talk about Latinos and don't even mention blacks. Really why should they.....? And why do blacks always wanna mention them and open the door for "sharing slices of the pie". It's stupid.

If you want to climb up the ladder you're going to have to climb past ppl. Only a naive ? is gonna think we are all (races) gonna come up together and be equal all the way around. You better start looking for advantages more so than "equality".

I always thought that it was mainly Puerto Ricans that we are talking about. There are plenty of Black Latinos though so really to me it's redundant. But still, that saying came from a time when they did get down with us and the Black Panthers.

This is the correct answer but black folks need to stop including Latinos now
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    SMH.

Really tho....

my wife worked as a consultant once, she came home an told me a guy she worked with had hid own company....he was Puerto Rican an only hired Puerto Ricans. you look at wawa's.they only hire their kind. white will hire their own kind if it wasn't for discrimination laws. yet blacks....man I saw alot if sgitbliving in Swiss that really makes me hate my people.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    SMH.

Really tho....

Black Latinos though? You saying they should just stop being Latino like we should stop being American? I guess there's an argument for that.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    See but latinos is a blanket term, and since a lot of latinos are ignorant of their history they fit in to the narrative. They think they are a race, but they are a collection of different races. There are pure black "latinos" on the islands and in South America. You got white latinos, black, mulatto, mestizo tri racials, middle eastern But do the "latinos" know that? Nah 98 percent of them don't they just claim their nationality as their race. Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Chilean, Brazialian ETC......

I was dating a "Latino". She was only part Latino (I not sure if that part was Afro Latino), but she was damn sure proud. I'm like damn, you proud of a language? They just love "Latin" America so much. But hey, we proud of using English to spit that hot fire.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    http://www.pan-afrique.com/new-business/2015/mexico-has-started-counting-its-afro-mexican-population

Mexico has Started Counting its Afro-Mexican Population
    December 13, 2015
    For the first time ever, people of African descent living in Mexico were able to identify themselves as black in the national census.

Mexico’s 2015 population survey, released Dec. 8, counted 1.38 million people of African heritage, representing 1.2% of the country’s population (link in Spanish.) Most live in three coastal states, including Guerrero, where they account for nearly 7% of the population, and overall they are poorer and less educated than the national average, Mexico’s census bureau (INEGI by its acronym in Spanish) has found.

Including an “Afro” category in the census is part of a push to recognize Latin America’s black communities. Like the US, Latin America and the Caribbean have a history of slavery that resulted in a large number of residents of African descent—about 150 million, accounting for about 30% of the region’s population, according to the United Nations.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited June 2016
    Options
    http://mlktaskforcemi.org/pathways/conflicts-over-slavery-cause-the-texas-revolution-and-lead-to-the-mexican-american-war/

Conflicts Over Slavery Cause the Texas Revolution and Lead to the Mexican American War
    When Mexico achieved its independence from Spain in 1821, and later when slavery was abolished in Mexico in 1829, the country then included most of the viceroyalty of New Spain, minus the Caribbean and the Philippines. Mexico stretched from California and the present-day U.S. Southwest and encompassed all of Central America except Panama. The state of “Coahuila y Tejas” (now Texas) was included in the new nation of Mexico. The area known as Central America split from Mexico in 1823 as a result of the fall of the empire of Agustín de Iturbide, however, Mexico did keep the southern state of Chiapas. After Mexico gained its independence from Spain, it legalized immigration from the United States.

Anglos from the United States sought and gained permission to settle in the Mexican state of “Coahuila y Tejas” (later known as Texas). Moses Austin was the first American immigrant to gain permission to settle in the state. His son, Stephen F. Austin brought 300 immigrants from the United States beginning in early 1822. Most of the immigrants came from the American south, and they brought their African slaves with them. Under Austin’s plan, each American immigrant was allowed to purchase an additional 50 acres of land for each slave he brought to the territory. At least 20,000 Anglos and their slaves eventually settled in the state. By 1825, one out of five American immigrants in “Texas” was an African slave.1

At the same time, however, Mexico offered full citizenship to free blacks, including land ownership and other privileges. In 1823, Mexico forbade the sale or purchase of slaves, and required the children of slaves to be freed when they reached the age of fourteen. In 1827, the legislature of Coahuila y Tejas (now Texas) outlawed the introduction of additional slaves and granted freedom at birth to all children born to a slave.2

As the number of Anglo-Americans immigrants in Mexico increased, Mexican authorities began to fear the United States would want to annex Texas. On April 6, 1830, the Mexican government passed a series of laws restricting immigration from the United States into Texas. The laws also canceled all unfilled business contracts and established customs houses in Texas to enforce the collection of customs duties.

Just two and a half months after Mexico abolished slavery in 1829, Tejas (Texas) Governor J.M. Viesca secured an exemption for his state. The land fees generated by the slavery of African-Americans had become an important source of income for the local government.3

During this period of extremely tense relations between the two governments, Mexico consistently repudiated and forbade the institution of slavery in its territory, while U.S. slave-owners, who were immigrants in the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas (Texas), continuously sought ways to circumvent Mexican law.4

The abolition of slavery created tensions between the Mexican government and slave-holding immigrants from the United States. These tensions came to a head in the Anahuac Disturbances. The Anahuac Disturbances were uprisings of American immigrants in and around Anahuac in 1832 and 1835 which helped to precipitate the Texas Revolution in 1836. In that year, American immigrants in Texas declared its independence from Mexico that eventually led to the United States invasion of Mexico in 1846.

After the loss of Texas, Mexican officials refused to formally acknowledge the Texas independence on the grounds that it “would be equivalent to the sanction and recognition of slavery.” After Texas independence the slave population mushroomed and the number of runaways across the South-Texas–North-Mexico border, increased. The slave institution in Texas was continuously undermined by defiant Tejanos (Mexicans in Texas) who took great risks and invested enormous resources toward facilitating the escape of enslaved Africans.5

After the Republic of Texas was created in 1836, Anglo-American views on slavery and race began to predominate and free blacks lost their rights as citizens.6 The 1836 Constitution of the Republic of Texas required free blacks to petition the Texas Congress for permission to continue living in the country. The following year all those who had been living in Texas at the time of independence were allowed to remain. On the other hand, the legislature created political segregation; it classified free residents with at least 1/8 African heritage (equivalent to one great grandparent) as a separate category, and abrogated their citizen’s rights, prohibiting them from voting, owning property, testifying against whites in court, or intermarrying with whites.7 As planters increased cotton production, they rapidly increased the purchase and transport of slaves. By 1840, there were 11,323 slaves in Texas.8
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    SMH.

Really tho....

Black Latinos though? You saying they should just stop being Latino like we should stop being American? I guess there's an argument for that.

Hard question. I say if they down they down if not let them rot
    SMH.

Really tho....

my wife worked as a consultant once, she came home an told me a guy she worked with had hid own company....he was Puerto Rican an only hired Puerto Ricans. you look at wawa's.they only hire their kind. white will hire their own kind if it wasn't for discrimination laws. yet blacks....man I saw alot if sgitbliving in Swiss that really makes me hate my people.

If I'm not mistaken the relationship between ricans and AAs on NYC is much different than Philly.