So I'm 75% sure I will join the Air Force after this school year

Options

Comments

• Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? will spend an entire career as a grunt a be upset they cant do anything else but flip burgers when they get out lol
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Smh man I really don't wanna do this ? , however it seems like everything I'm doing is currently not working. If I have about two years left to finish my in Business MIS, but I can't afford school (my GPA is like 3.7) and ? GA rules won't allow me to get any good scholarships.

I'm literally forced into making this decision into the National guard or air force soon. I really don't wanna do this ? , but no body is hiring and this marketing firm position is seeming like it's not consistent or reliable.

If y'all had to choose whats better for someone who don't really wanna be about the whole military life? National GUARD or air force? I'm strictly in it for job security, benefits, travelling, and most importantly help paying for my student debt.

Didn't see your post but it depends if you are are you strictly trying to do it part time? And what job are you looking to do.

If you really honest don'twant to do it and feel like your being forced, don't do it. Army atleast if you listen and do what you got to do then basic and ait should be a cakewalk. But it's easy to ? up and especially since it's peacetime, ? will hit you with that dishonorable with the quickness and it's the same as a felony in nearly every state.

Im considering Data Security Administrator, it audit manager, or MIS director. I'm still learning the field of Mt degree so is still open. Honestly fam it's just a job, I have no passion in it yet, but I'm open minded and willing to try it out. So far my grades been really great in it.

As far as the service goes, I just want the benefits and help with school. Get in and out. Travel would be a bonus. I actually don't want the stress of being a officer, having to boss ? around and yell all day. Is it like that? Maybe my perception of the service is wrong. Maybe y'all can educate me .
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Any of yall join in your mid-late twenties? how was that?

If you were close to your parents, what was it like being away from them for so long? Were you away for all 4 or just during basic?

I heard stuff about how you could sign up for one job and then be forced into another, like combat ? . Is that really possible? Do you know going in if you'll be deployed overseas?

What's it like after doing your 4? Do they try and get you to stay? Did you want to stay? What were jobs like? Cause from what I see, you can come back and just be stuck in the same situation as when you went in. I know people that went in and did four and came back looking for jobs at pizza places and ? . Are they just dummies who didn't plan ahead like yall?

I joined when I was 18. Right out of high school. I just knew I had to leave Shreveport. I had it rough but I had no idea how rough until I talked to other people. I made stupid decisions and never took on living up to my expectations. i regret alot of what I did but I will never take it back. Learn from your mistakes and others.

In the Navy, you dont have to worry about that (sign up for one job and then be forced into another, like combat ? .). Not many combat jobs and they not pushing the blue to green program (Navy to Army combat units) anymore. Air Force is the same. In the Navy, if you are on a ship. You are going to cruise overseas. Either South America or Mediterranean or Asia. If you are in a squadron(aviation), It depends on your mission. Shore command means you are open to be being called up to go overseas or picked for blue to green but it is very rare these days.

I decided to reenlist after my 4 years cause I never had a plan when I got to that point. I was on deployment and about to leave the ship. I signed my extension right at the deadline. Then I found out about a program that would assure I never got back on a ship again. I had everyone trying telling me not to do it. Hell they even refuse to sign my paperwork. But eventually (Thanks to my 1st class) they signed it. I was stationed in Atlanta. I haven't left Georgia since. I am doing the reserves now.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lincoln

I joined the AF when i was 20.. got out when i was 26.. some cats joined in they mid-late twenties..
    If you were close to your parents, what was it like being away from them for so long? Were you away for all 4 or just during basic?

being away was hard the first year. Basic/tech school (my tech school was at Lackland too ) i was home sick like crazy. then i got to my duty station Dover, DE...im from Detroit, so after being in DE a while... wasnt missing a damn thing about Detroit . when you go Active Duty.. you going to be gone. Its a full time gig.. now thats the difference from Active Duty and National Guard/ Reserves
    I heard stuff about how you could sign up for one job and then be forced into another, like combat ? . Is that really possible? Do you know going in if you'll be deployed overseas?

the job thing is like this. they evaluate your asvab scores and give you the options and you go from there.. now being forced to change jobs, it happens, but its usually circumstances. like flunking out out of tech school, or i knew alot of cats in my career filed, who were in another previously, but were moved because they were color blind... i swear we had a ton of folks in my career that ended up there because they were color blind and couldn't perform whatever there previous job was

as far as the deployments.. this is something you need to ask someone who is currently serving.. ive been out for a few years. but in my six years i deployed twice once to Qatar, and once to Iraq... they were 4 month deployments but they switched to 6 months after my last deployment to iraq.. couldnt tell you what they are looking like now... deployment can be ok, and some could suck. depends on the location, people, and the type of recreational ? you have access too

What's it like after doing your 4? Do they try and get you to stay? Did you want to stay? What were jobs like? Cause from what I see, you can come back and just be stuck in the same situation as when you went in. I know people that went in and did four and came back looking for jobs at pizza places and ? .Are they just dummies who didn't plan ahead like yall?

before your enlistment is up they will come to you about staying. my NCOIC (non commissioned officer in charge, my E7, head of our shop) came to me. i told him i never intended to do a day more than that. they left me alone about it. i never wanted to make it career.. you hear this and its not a cliche.. the military aint for everyone.. and not a day has went by where i regretted not staying in.. not once... my job was a 2t2x1 , i loaded planes with cargo (using heavy machinery) and drove a ? truck.. my job sucked and wasn't much i could use it for in the outside world.. but that "career field" i had, technically was logistics.. and i stuck with that once i get out.. im an operations supervisor for a logistics company now so.. theres that

i;ll be honest.. if you join the military and come back after 4 or 6 years and in the same situation.. thats on YOU... i've been out 6 years.. i've doubled my salary since i first got out, and slowly been working on my degree and i graduate in 6 months... so yeah you have cats that serve, get out and do NOTHING with there VA benefits.. thats on them. so yeah those folks are ? .. its no way in hell you serve, and dont take advantages of those benefits you EARNED

ive always said this.. i did my time and got out.. never really liked it, hence the reason i couldnt do it for 20 years, but looking back, it was probably one of the best decisions i made..
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @StoneColdMikey

Every job in the Coast Guard has a trade on the "outside" so I don't know anything about being forced to do a job that you don't want and it being useless after you leave the military.

I knew a 28 year old that joined. He was in boot camp with us. He said it was like being in summer camp with kids. When you get your station, there it'll be just like any old head at a job full of youngstaz.

As far as convincing you to stay, they offered $40k & $50k bonuses and guaranteed station locations to return.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh yea, Coast Guard doesn't go to war unless you volunteer. That's what ultimately sold me and I was a federal agent.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure there is lots of great stuff about the military but you have to be careful because:

1. The recruiter will tell you just about anything to get you to sign up. They lie or couch the truth.
    2. You are the property of the US of A and you will do what they say unless you want to go to jail.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's it like after doing your 4? Do they try and get you to stay? Did you want to stay? What were jobs like? Cause from what I see, you can come back and just be stuck in the same situation as when you went in. I know people that went in and did four and came back looking for jobs at pizza places and ? . Are they just dummies who didn't plan ahead like yall?

what branch are you asking about? I can only speak about the army, but they cant force you into any job thats not in your contract unless: one you fail out of AIT, or two they get rid of your job(but they give a list of things you can do based on needs of the army)
  • caddo man
    edited August 2016
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    I'm sure there is lots of great stuff about the military but you have to be careful because:

1. The recruiter will tell you just about anything to get you to sign up. They lie or couch the truth.
    2. You are the property of the US of A and you will do what they say unless you want to go to jail.

That is stretching the truth. If you want to get out. You can get out. No one is making you stay against your will. You will lose all of your benefits and you will get a dishonarable or other than honorable discharge. But going to jail happens when:
    -You just up and leave without permission. You stay in jail just long enough for them to kick you out.
    -You do something illegal. The military have similar laws to the civilian sector. Only add on is leaking sensitive info. You can also go to jail for leaking your companies info.

Disobeying a lawful order can be punishable by jail time but it depends on the severity of the situation. The keyword is lawful. They tell you to mop the floor. You say No! You will get wrote up. They tell you to run into gunfire and pull your dead comrade to your bunker. You say No! You going to the brig when we get back to base.

• smp4life
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

That is stretching the truth. If you want to get out. You can get out. No one is making you stay against your will. You will lose all of your benefits and you will get a dishonarable or other than honorable discharge. But going to jail happens when:
    -You just up and leave without permission. You stay in jail just long enough for them to kick you out.
    -You do something illegal. The military have similar laws to the civilian sector. Only add on is leaking sensitive info. You can also go to jail for leaking your companies info.

Disobeying a lawful order can be punishable by jail time but it depends on the severity of the situation. The keyword is lawful. They tell you to mop the floor. You say No! You will get wrote up. They tell you to run into gunfire and pull your dead comrade to your bunker. You say No! You going to the brig when we get back to base.

Thanks for the clarification. I assume that dishonorable discharge or other than honorable discharge will hurt you later in life?
  • smp4life
    Options
    Also, you can get screwed for following orders too. If an order is not above board, like shoot these POWs or some ? . Somehow, you are responsible for know what is a valid order and what isn't?
  • smp4life
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For example, in WWII, the fighting on the Russian front was so brutal that both sides were under "orders" to not take prisoners. So it wasn't unusual for both sides to ? anyone that surrendered. Of course, since Germany lost the war, those soldiers were held accountable whereas the Russian's were not. War crimes, of course, more heavily land on the losers.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, you can get screwed for following orders too. If an order is not above board, like shoot these POWs or some ? . Somehow, you are responsible for know what is a valid order and what isn't?

That's not a lawfully order. That's against us law and against the Geneva convention. People perception of the military is heavily skewered.

Smh man I really don't wanna do this ? , however it seems like everything I'm doing is currently not working. If I have about two years left to finish my in Business MIS, but I can't afford school (my GPA is like 3.7) and ? GA rules won't allow me to get any good scholarships.

I'm literally forced into making this decision into the National guard or air force soon. I really don't wanna do this ? , but no body is hiring and this marketing firm position is seeming like it's not consistent or reliable.

If y'all had to choose whats better for someone who don't really wanna be about the whole military life? National GUARD or air force? I'm strictly in it for job security, benefits, travelling, and most importantly help paying for my student debt.

Didn't see your post but it depends if you are are you strictly trying to do it part time? And what job are you looking to do.

If you really honest don'twant to do it and feel like your being forced, don't do it. Army atleast if you listen and do what you got to do then basic and ait should be a cakewalk. But it's easy to ? up and especially since it's peacetime, ? will hit you with that dishonorable with the quickness and it's the same as a felony in nearly every state.

Im considering Data Security Administrator, it audit manager, or MIS director. I'm still learning the field of Mt degree so is still open. Honestly fam it's just a job, I have no passion in it yet, but I'm open minded and willing to try it out. So far my grades been really great in it.

As far as the service goes, I just want the benefits and help with school. Get in and out. Travel would be a bonus. I actually don't want the stress of being a officer, having to boss ? around and yell all day. Is it like that? Maybe my perception of the service is wrong. Maybe y'all can educate me .

So ideally as an officer you are hands off. You are the logistical side of whatever mos you choose. THERE IS LITERALLY NO REASON YOU SHOULD BE TALKING/GIVING ORDERS TO ANY E1 TO E4. there is none. You are the link between your unit and battalion. You give your NCO there objective, you are hands off and let them accomplish it and it shud be fairly easy.
  • smp4life
    Options

That's not a lawfully order. That's against us law and against the Geneva convention. People perception of the military is heavily skewered.

Of course. That was a real black and white example. I'm just saying that "I was just following orders" isn't considered a valid defense a lot of the times in the aftermath of war. But soldiers are trained to follow orders no? You can't have your squad or platoon or whatever thinking about the legality of every order. That would be dangerous.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Of course. That was a real black and white example. I'm just saying that "I was just following orders" isn't considered a valid defense a lot of the times in the aftermath of war. But soldiers are trained to follow orders no? You can't have your squad or platoon or whatever thinking about the legality of every order. That would be dangerous.

But that's what I'm saying that is fundamentally wrong. Of course a solider is trained to follow order's, but there is even a higher emphasis on code of conduct. From rules of engagement, to sharp(sexual harassment policy) and EO (equal opportunity) there is no reason by the time you get out of basic you shouldn't know how to act.

I mean we got general getting kicked out for sexual harassment, and there are people getting thrown into military jail for breaking rules of engagement (word to the E7 who beat an Afghan security member to death because he was ? little boys @Black_Samson remembers that story.) There is no excuse for anyone to follow any order such as killing pows and there is always someone above whoever gave such an order that you can go to.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you would never get an order like that. It's not one person making decision in combat like that.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's not complicated at all. Do what you're told or get kicked out. If you have an issue with following directions, don't join. It aint rocket science
  • caddo man
    Options
    It's not complicated at all. Do what you're told or get kicked out. If you have an issue with following directions, don't join. It aint rocket science

I understand what he is saying. Sometimes orders are passed down with no real objective. For example, I had to give a family picnic for 200 reservist but I was given no money or anything. Me and another sailor starting soliciting donations but no one ever told us we could not do that. We had a retired officer tell us about the law. After that we made up some bogus association and hit some other spots. Low and behold we did it. Two events later they tried to get me for credit card fraud and false solicitation. My C.O. saved me by his association with our upper chain of command. Without that, I would be posting on the IC from Leavenworth.

You have to be smarter than the person above you and dont be afraid to ask questions. My C.O. was a person that wanted things spelled out with memos and instructions. If he didnt get that. he didnt ? with it. Now everything I do as far as government money (state of Georgia). Is well documented and backed up with policies and instructions.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Joined Maryland ANG at 32. Started to go in 97 at 18 but got a job at the post office and my ? thought $22 an hour back then was ballin so I never finished the DEP process. I will tell you Basic Training was a lil tougher especially the ? running, but the getting up early and yelling at you and ? was cake I had been in the real adult working world for 14 years. In the Reserves and Guard you can pick your specific job as long as your scores meet that afcs requirement but active duty no promises you pick jobs out of a group. My partner that was going in with me back in 97 with me is now getting ready to retire as an E-9 First Shirt, and my ass got at least 14 to go. Drill weekends in Baltimore consists of lobster and steak at chow hall and watching Ravens on flat screens. Free College in Maryland, gi kicker $350 a month plus drill pay so around extra $1000 a month for 2 days work.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what branch are you asking about? I can only speak about the army, but they cant force you into any job thats not in your contract unless: one you fail out of AIT, or two they get rid of your job(but they give a list of things you can do based on needs of the army)

I wasn't asking about any specific branch. These are questions I would like to hear answers for from people in any part of the military
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are only the people who wanted to end up in combat in combat? Like is it possible to join the military just for all the va benefits when you get out and then somehow find yourself in the desert somewhere in the world getting shot at?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Are only the people who wanted to end up in combat in combat? Like is it possible to join the military just for all the va benefits when you get out and then somehow find yourself in the desert somewhere in the world getting shot at?

at the bolded... yep ? happened to me.. wasnt getting shot at, but definitely didnt have a choice in the manner

I was AF deployed with a small unit at a Army base in Iraq... the AF cops didnt have enough people so we got volunTOLD by my E-7 to help.. now my job in the air force was air transportation.. ? i loaded planes.. now i got a M16 and told i was a cop now, no training or anything....smh.. talk about a ? being ? !

i got LUCKY though.. only ended up doing ? duty... basically you have a bunch of Iraqi civilians that work on the base.. but they cant roam a military installation all ? nilly.. they need to be escorted .. so yeah i got stuck doing that ? .. luckily it was just for a few weeks.

? still sucked..it was a team of 3 of us (we would have anywhere from 5-8 iraqis) and we had to go every morning to the front of the base (which was miles and miles away from were we actually stayed at on base) grab our iraqis and bring em alll the waaay back to where they worked.. oh what did my iraqis work on?? a ? fence. its august in Iraq rocking a vest, helmet, and full gear.. watching Iraqis work on a fence for 12 hours a day... ? ? sucked ...but guess i cant really complain as we all know cats who had worse ? happen to them in Iraq/Afghanistan
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

To emphasize what @JusDre313 said I'd despite what the media tells you the war on terror is still on. My unit actually might be deploying to Afghan next year. Understand regardless of what branch you are you could find yourself deployed down range. It's a risk that you have to decide if it's worth taking for the benefits. In my opinion it is.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    So my major is criminal justice and I want to be security forces while in the airforce . That means I will get deployed to afghan / iraq?