Katt Williams says ancestors were cowards for accepting slavery. Right or wrong?

Options

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Indians were made slaves they were just extremely susceptible to European diseases....
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I always wondered if its 60 slaves to one white family and about 3 overseers on a farm why didnt most slaves rebel. ? just never added up to me

Slave masters had a method to that madness. More than likely if a plantation owner had 60 slaves, 55 were already seasoned or bred into it. There's a whole lot of other stuff that could go into that as well.

Our ancestors including cowards just is what it is. Not all of our elders marched with MLK, either. And really, I think people still under estimate what "less than human" truly entailed for our people back then. In an age of deleting tweets, few of us can grasp what kind of brutality really came with that. So yeah, some ? wasn't bout that life. It happened
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    Harriet Tubman said she would have freed more slaves if they knew they were slaves....I believe her

Most of our ancestors didn't know they were slaves....they weren't trying to escape...

The ones who knew they were slaves, are the ones we read about, the nat turners, Gabriel prossers, etc

So they weren't coward, they were unaware or misinformed

You don't have to conceive of yourself as being a slave to know that getting your ass beat and seeing your loved ones abused is enough reason to want to either fight or run away..... it is much more likely that most slaves were simply too scared to engage in violence and disobedience

or they didn't know how to engage in violence that would result into what they didn't know at the time was freedom...hell by that logic we don't know what freedom is to this day....

people can use katts same logic and say ? are still cowards because it is known that this happened and people aren't doing ? ....

Black people have always fought back, and will continue to fight back
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That "noble savage" ? is bogus as well......

White folks love to say that the Indians resisted slavery when in fact the native population in America was biologically exploited out of existence..........

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Katt was right. His ancestors were cowards for accepting slavery.
    i aint afraid of death or jail..
    so i can imagine me not bein afraid of bein whipped or killed back then..

i turned myself in damn near 10yrs ago..
    before i went to see the judge me an my moms sat outside the court and u really gotta hear her tell the story the only way a mother can when it comes to her son..

but i told her there to stop cryin and went on to explain how i saw life and saw us as a people in this country as house slaves or field ? and i told her im no gonna be neither.. that when i get out that i was gonna be a "runaway slave" and if i get to experience one day of freedom id rot in a casket or jail cell happily then to live my life as a slave..

amd iv been runnin ever since..

So if you a run a way why ain't you ? the master to show your people freedom is possible or is it because that you're scared to die

yeh cause "runaway" slaves killed they masters..
    how many masters Harriet Tubman ? idiot!!?

listen.. ur emotions is over riding ur logic at the moment.. otherwise u wouldnt have jus stated this dumb ? ..
    get out ur feelings ? .

Aight let me restate. Why ain't you comin back and showin the slaves that freedom is possible. Go to a jail or prison and break them slave ? out. help them get to a country that won't expedite them. And then you would be on tubman status helping slaves become free

it aint my job to save the world my ? ..
    its my job to save MY WORLD.. which is those that are under me and come after me..

u got apologists and ? refusing to accept accountability on behalf of their ancestors ? i look like goin out my way for the likes??!

they aint ready so they will be left behind..

and i say im a runaway slave for a reason cause im not yet a free man..
    but trust when i am ill be goin back to bring others wit me as i now help guide and give game to those who choose not to submit to their oppressor..

? think i drop game on here?? i can only say so much but u catch me in the streets and ? is gettin a full dose straight lace no chaser..

now, never question me again ? .
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Katt was right. His ancestors were cowards for accepting slavery.
    Harriet Tubman said she would have freed more slaves if they knew they were slaves....I believe her

Most of our ancestors didn't know they were slaves....they weren't trying to escape...

The ones who knew they were slaves, are the ones we read about, the nat turners, Gabriel prossers, etc

You don't have to conceive of yourself as being a slave to know that getting your ass beat and seeing your loved ones abused is enough reason to want to either fight or run away..... it is much more likely that most slaves were simply too scared to engage in violence and disobedience

or they didn't know how to engage in violence that would result into what they didn't know at the time was freedom...hell by that logic we don't know what freedom is to this day....

people can use katts same logic and say ? are still cowards because it is known that this happened and people aren't doing ? ....

marchin and peaceful protesting ASKIN to be treated as a ? human bein aint fightin back..
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol lotta dumb ? in this thread man. shouldn't be be surprised, but I am a little.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

marchin and peaceful protesting ASKIN to be treated as a ? human bein aint fightin back..

Hell na, that's begging

it's hard to discuss individuals as a monolith , but There are some fighting back , this fight wasn't just an all out war and we lost...wasn't a boxing match...was never fair, but there have been blows, whether violence, or economics towards the white west, hasn't been much of a fight but there are some who are cowards and there are some who are not and the fight is not over
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not that this matters to the topic of cowardice and circumstance, but slavery lasted for 245 years on the North American continent proper. The only people that freed themselves were the Haitians against a people that didn't have their civilization there and the Haitians were made to pay with blood money. I wonder what this narrative would look like if european countries didn't abolish slavery on their own?
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i aint afraid of death or jail..
    so i can imagine me not bein afraid of bein whipped or killed back then..

i turned myself in damn near 10yrs ago..
    before i went to see the judge me an my moms sat outside the court and u really gotta hear her tell the story the only way a mother can when it comes to her son..

but i told her there to stop cryin and went on to explain how i saw life and saw us as a people in this country as house slaves or field ? and i told her im no gonna be neither.. that when i get out that i was gonna be a "runaway slave" and if i get to experience one day of freedom id rot in a casket or jail cell happily then to live my life as a slave..

amd iv been runnin ever since..

So if you a run a way why ain't you ? the master to show your people freedom is possible or is it because that you're scared to die

yeh cause "runaway" slaves killed they masters..
    how many masters Harriet Tubman ? idiot!!?

listen.. ur emotions is over riding ur logic at the moment.. otherwise u wouldnt have jus stated this dumb ? ..
    get out ur feelings ? .

Aight let me restate. Why ain't you comin back and showin the slaves that freedom is possible. Go to a jail or prison and break them slave ? out. help them get to a country that won't expedite them. And then you would be on tubman status helping slaves become free

it aint my job to save the world my ? ..
    its my job to save MY WORLD.. which is those that are under me and come after me..

u got apologists and ? refusing to accept accountability on behalf of their ancestors ? i look like goin out my way for the likes??!

they aint ready so they will be left behind..

and i say im a runaway slave for a reason cause im not yet a free man..
    but trust when i am ill be goin back to bring others wit me as i now help guide and give game to those who choose not to submit to their oppressor..

? think i drop game on here?? i can only say so much but u catch me in the streets and ? is gettin a full dose straight lace no chaser..

now, never question me again ? .

gtfoh. never question me again lookin ass. well heres another question then. why didnt you give game to a ? who asked for help on game? oh i forgot you only help YOU!! We get it bruh you hate blacks too. and we know how that manifested itself.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ hoe ass ? in their feelings

? are and were cowards, point blank, period
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    I remember a teacher saying this in so many words. She highlighted how the Native Americans weren't enslaved because at any given moment they would cut off their own limbs to get free. Basically, it made it impossible to make them slaves. She didn't go further just kinda left the lecture on a "Freedom has a step price; some people are more willing to pay for it than others."

On the flip side, I know he's looking at the situation myopically. Plenty of slaves died for freedom as opposed to serving, but everybody ain't built for death. The survivors now may have been part of revolutions that just got snuffed out or, like dude said, not been enslaved around militant slaves who knew how to organize.

Either way, not all the way wrong but not all the way right.

Native Americans were dying from blankets with small pox and other diseases Europeans were bringing over to America, so native Americans being slaves in the long run was not feasible.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont agree with what have been quoted as dude's words here but...its Katt Williams. The dude that got beat up by a kid. and cant get right at all. Disagreeing with him, especially here, is not a bad thing. (That getting beat up by a kid was too cring-worthy to even watch, just the thought considering he's grown). So no I dont see eye to eye with Katt Williams he been on some other sht. But they didnt "accept" it they fought all the way and ended it. Look up Harriett Tubman or Frederick Douglass or others. There are countless examples that arent in history books. On up to the civil war where they fought and ended it. It wasnt white people all of a sudden deciding to be nice they made that happen for themselves too. So no those statements are incorrect...but its Katt Williams again. And on that note I think this is as much attention as I am going to give to a Katt Williams statement.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dude is the opposite of what's the correct answer on this one. No where near the first time for him. (look up numerous arrests) and starting that fight with a child. Etc.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Katt was wrong. His ancestors weren't cowards for accepting slavery.
    The whole premise of this thread is so ? outlandish that i'd knock the T/s out if he said this ? to me.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    I remember a teacher saying this in so many words. She highlighted how the Native Americans weren't enslaved because at any given moment they would cut off their own limbs to get free. Basically, it made it impossible to make them slaves. She didn't go further just kinda left the lecture on a "Freedom has a step price; some people are more willing to pay for it than others."

On the flip side, I know he's looking at the situation myopically. Plenty of slaves died for freedom as opposed to serving, but everybody ain't built for death. The survivors now may have been part of revolutions that just got snuffed out or, like dude said, not been enslaved around militant slaves who knew how to organize.

Either way, not all the way wrong but not all the way right.

Native Americans were dying from blankets with small pox and other diseases Europeans were bringing over to America, so native Americans being slaves in the long run was not feasible.

Plus they knew the land so escaping wouldn't have been a problem
  • A Talented One
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Double.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    ? the T/s. If I ever see him, it's on. No questions asked.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not all of our ancestors just sat there and allowed themselves to be taken advantage of; they fought back and died.

Fear is a powerful tool though.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish we had a time machine so we could send Katt back there and see how he deals with slavery. Dumb comment.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just survive and bide your time. Most ppl with do anything to survive. I don't think it's cowardly, it's just human. If aliens came from outer space with advanced technology and said "we're going to eradicate anyone that does not submit to being our slave" what do you think would happen? Yes, there would be a small percentage that would choose death, but I think a larger number would want to survive.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I hate when people be like '? if I was alive back then, I wouldn't have been no slave! They woulda had to ? me!'. It's very easy to say that these days, having never experienced anything remotely close to slavery.

But if you were born a slave - having never known anything else...? you just would have been a slave. That's that.
    Like I said before, how do you explain Spartans, Haitians, maroons in the caribbean and South America etc.? They fought eventhough they were born into slavery. I know it's hard to admit, but I think you should come to grips with the fact the overwhelming majority of your ancestors were slaves. We can't fight against facts, even if the truth hurts sometimes...

Spartans were slavers. Did you mean Spartacus?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    AggyAF wrote: »
    bambu wrote: »
    ^not all of those were in The US

Not all, but you do understand that the US was established in 1776.....

& Several states had yet to be incorporated......

Spanish Florida/ New Spain is now Florida. ...

Orleans Provence is Louisiana.....

Indian Territory is now Oklahoma. .....

I know that....but the list include Jamaica Mexico and Barbados and others on there

I'm bored & some of these ? need schooling, so....

Out of 24 documented rebellions from the sixteenth century throughout the nineteenth.......

5 occurred outside of what we now understand as the United States.......

That means that more rebellions happened in the US or what we know as the US today......

Despite more Africans being transported to the Carribean & south america than the US.....

This really means nothing, as capitalists from across Europe seized every square mile of land in the Western Hemisphere as they could.....

The suggestion that US blacks are weak or cowardly is some ? created in West Indian folklore......

Now you acting stupid and in your feels

I really hope you don't think your list is exhaustive because the fact is there were way more rebellions you didn't include and the majority of slave rebellions were outside the US
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    Lol @ Revisionist history. Some of these people do anything to make them feel better about their past. If blacks were fighting against slavery like that it wouldn't have lasted for 400 years. Financially it wouldn't have been feasable. They ended it because of industrial revolution. Not because blacks kept fighting. Stop lying to yourself.
    @Muhannad is someone who fought and lost a coward?
    No but then again I never said that. There were lots of rebellions in the caribbean and latin America. US had way less. I think it has something to do with the fact slaves in the US were from various tribes while slaves in other colonies were from the same tribe. They could communicate and retain their cultural identity better.

Still. Africans by large accepted their servitude. That's why some people had to label them cowards.

Vietnamese fought the French, US. Palestinians are still fighting Israel. Going by history I think Africans would've rolled over.

that's what you are suggest.

And how many rebellions were on Korsou? I can only think of one....