THE OFFICIAL 2016/2017 ATLANTA FALCONS THREAD

Options

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tough luck on the game. But I was wondering, and have been for a little while, why y'all don't use Julio more? Don't get me wrong, he gets his. But it just seems like y'all don't make it a point to feed him much.

Because we didn't have to. Sanu and Gabriel played great this year. And even with less targets and passes forced to Julio and him missing games he still got off, this season.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tough luck on the game. But I was wondering, and have been for a little while, why y'all don't use Julio more? Don't get me wrong, he gets his. But it just seems like y'all don't make it a point to feed him much.

Because we didn't have to. Sanu and Gabriel played great this year. And even with less targets and passes forced to Julio and him missing games he still got off, this season.

I get you. Just seems like he goes MIA sometimes. If he didn't have that crazy ass sideline catch, it'd be hard to even remember he was playing. And late in the SB when you needed a catch bad, it seemed like it was drawn up for someone else.

Not knocking him, saying he becomes ineffective. Just wondering if he's not looked at much sometimes (maybe because of injury).
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They made it a priority to spread the ball around instead of forcing it to him like the previous season.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They limited Julio snaps in the 2nd half of the season because of the toe injury too
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Roddy White would have “literally” fought Kyle Shanahan over Super Bowl play calling

Roddy was known for catching footballs, but he thinks the former Falcons offensive coordinator should catch these hands.

Are we over Kyle Shanahan bumbling away Atlanta’s chance at a first Super Bowl win? No way. This will go down in Falcons history with Eugene Robinson’s extra-curricular activities prior to the Super Bowl and an uncovered Harry Douglas tripping over a turf monster in the NFC Championship game.

We’ve seen too much of the news surrounding that play calling collapse. Shanahan saying he blew it. The ridiculous lack of run plays called despite a huge lead and a gassed defense. Criticism from national media. Matt Ryan rumored to have expressed frustration on the sideline about the plays during the game.

Count Roddy White among those mad about it, according to Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. As always, he’s got some beautiful quotes.

“I’m glad I wasn’t a part of that team because I probably literally would’ve fought him,” White said.
    My money is on Roddy. He had more to say, especially how the criticized play calling hurt the city.

“You destroyed a dream for a city,” White said. “It’s bigger than me. The city of Atlanta needed that championship and you had it. Arthur Blank needed that championship and he deserved to win that game, with everything he’s been through. It was finally our time to win and it just hurt me that we didn’t get it done.”
    White didn’t blame the entire loss on Shanahan, but suggested Dan Quinn should have gotten Shanahan on the same page at some point late in the game. White said the play calling was so obviously bad, he would have jumped offsides on the play Ryan took a sack.

At the same time, he thinks Atlanta had a better chance of returning if Shanahan stayed in Atlanta. It’s a great interview (podcast) where White talks about Shanahan, the team, and retirement.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/2/15/14622804/roddy-white-would-have-literally-fought-kyle-shanahan-over-super-bowl-play-calling-shamahan
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That tells me the Birds are going strictly D-line in the draft and FA. Good news....

Should be able to pickup a zone-blocking OG for cheap somewhere.

Really dont need anything else.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is the front 7, that's under contract as of right now.

What I see is a priority for a starting DT. A backup for SAM, WILL and LEO. A vet like Spoon would be cheap and a serviveable reserve for WILL & SAM.

DEs
    Clayborn, Jack Crawford and Shelby

DTs
    Jarret, Hageman, and Upshaw

LEO and SAM LB
    Reed and Vic

MIKE
    Deebo, Reynolds

WILL
    Campbell

Secondary is solid. I dont see anyone other than a few UDFAs and practice squad players competing with Goodwin for the 5th CB spot. And Neasman/Therezie for the last FS position.

Tru, Alford, Collins and Poole at CB

Allen and Poole at FS

Neal and Ishmael at SS

• ya boi g
    Options
    I was hoping they would get Poe signed yesterday. Word is he looking for a multi year contract but everyone is bulking at that ? with him coming off back surgery and a down year.

Door not closed though but I will feel better if we can get him signed. We pull that off we probably wont see much else happen until after the draft.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    Options
    If they don't get Poe, I can see TD moving up in the draft for a DT. The OG draft class is pretty deep this year. Those are the only two positions that need starters. One will be a FA and the other a 1st round pick.

Sprinkle in 2 or 3 backup LBs and the squad is ready.
  • ya boi g
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just got Poe...... I still think we will go DE & DT/LB in the first 2 rounds. Gurad probably come later in the 4th/5th round.

Dont expect to see much else happen until after the draft
  • ya boi g
    Options
    Im hoping for DE Charles Harris at 31 in the first round. Maybe a Hybrid LB/DE in round 2 like Watt who could replace Reed and Wheeler.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    DE in the 1st(might be Watt)

OG in the 2nd

LB in the 3rd

H-back in the 4th

Swing Tackle in the 5th

DT in the 7th
  • numbaz...80's baby
    Options
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OT Hugh Thorton started for the Colts but was put on IR last season. He plays Guard and Tackle. It'd be nice if he pans out or Garland/Wes can get the job done.

We might see another Andy Levitre situation. Let the cheap vets and backups compete in camp. If they arent any good, a late last minute offseason trade may already be lined up.

Those two FBs have the speed that Quinn looks for and built like the H-back that Sarkisian wants in his WCO.

Could be no more than camp bodies but both are urgent positions of need.

*Edit*

Just seen that Soma played for Sarkisian at USC. At best Thorton could be the starting RG, meaning Wes/Garland can remain as depth. At worst he can be a backup OG and Swing Tackle. All are empty roster spots at the moment. Either way it goes, killed two birds with one stone.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    Options
    Falcons resign Ben Garland. Backup OG, OC and DT. Great depth for the trenches.
  • ya boi g
    Options
    Falcons still waiting on Chester to officially call it quits. Looking more and more like Rounds 1 and 2 will be OG & DE.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Falcons have private workout scheduled with top offensive line prospect Forrest Lamp from Western Kentucky for next week. Falcons also working out Lamp's teammate, offensive tackle Darrell Williams Jr.(projected UDFA). Lamp projected to go in first round. Falcons, with 31st overall pick, need starting right guard after Chris Chester retired.

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer
  • numbaz...80's baby
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Great news imo

He played excellent at LB last season.
    Report: Falcons will move Kemal Ishmael to linebacker, shop for safety in draft
    The veteran safety will get a chance to bring his hard-nosed style a little closer to the line of scrimmage.
    u8rea67zepu5.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2017/4/6/15207752/report-falcons-will-move-kemal-ishmael-to-linebacker-shop-for-safety-in-2017-nfl-draft
  • ya boi g
    Options
    I really liked him at LB last year.
  • ya boi g
    Options
    I thinking:

DE, OG, Hybrid LB/DE(Leo) and Safety the first four rounds. Not in that exact order tho.

They also been looking at TE's and RB's.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    Options
    Birds just signed an UGA track star who's the same height as Julio but slightly faster.