Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    coop9889 wrote: »
    So we're in here talking about not voting or voting for a 3rd party, etc, and you decided to join the conversation by basically saying, 'But look, people on Twitter are saying it!!!'.
    Seems legit.

"I struggle with how those two things could be the same." is what you said.

I just came in to say you're the only person who is struggling with that. There's no way in hell you can't put the 2 and 2 together, of someone saying voting 3rd party/write in is equivalent to not voting (in terms of IMPACT).

I just threw in some random tweets to substantiate what I was saying. Would you rather i pull up youtube videos. Or quote ? from this forum. Or record the people from my watch party? It's the overwhelming consensus among most people I've seen/heard/talked to. Who cares from which medium I pull the opinions from?

If you have to qualify the statement like you just did...that means you know that the original statement was incorrect. Additionally, nothing you posted substantiates anything. If I give my opinion, it's not substantiated just because I can find some people who agree with it.

LMAO what? Incorrect.

You are operating under the assumption that I either agree or disagree with the opinions of those I posted.

If my stance is "most people think that voting third party = not voting" then the only way to prove said statement, is with numbers and examples.

Once again, I am not saying they are right or wrong, I am saying that is what MOST PEOPLE THINK. To dispute you originally saying "not sure how you come to that conclusion" to the other dude. I just think it's funny because MOST people came to that conclusion.

Ok, cool. You're not saying that the point is correct or incorrect. Just that lots of other people agree with that point. Cool, I can buy that. Lot's go other people DO agree. That is still pretty meaningless, but I get what you mean. I apologize.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's some logic to it.

1. The point is that, while Maryland is still strongly blue, you really have no way at all of knowing who shares your 'Other people got this ? ! I can not vote and we'll still come out blue!'. Enough blues feel like that and red wins. It works out for you guys THIS time. But be wary.

2. Everything before 'As for the two other candidates...' is irrelevant because my point is that your post seemed to indicate that you only had the choice to vote for 2 candidates and that is false. As for the other two not being qualified - per my other point - write in who you DO feel is qualified. As for you feeling that that is no different than not voting, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. VOTING for a candidate by writing him/her in is the exact opposite of NOT VOTING. I struggle with how those two things could be the same.

1) I do have a way because I actually research and read, not just about what's going on, but also with history. There was 0 chance MD was going to Trump, and it didn't. You can throw your hypotheticals out there all you want. I live in the real world not a hypothetical one. I made my decision based on what the real world data told me and that data was correct.

2) No I didn't vote because there was no one I wanted to vote for. Period. These discussions are only about two candidates so that's why emphasized them, but make no mistake, the other two were not good candidates either. And again, you keep proposing this "write-in" solution as some kind of viable option. You say you don't see how those could be the same. You tell me what is the difference between the end effect of me writing in a name nobody else will vote for and me not voting at all?

The difference is that in one scenario...you've voted. And in the other...you haven't. It's not about if the candidate you write in wins. It's about the democratic process of voting. You seem to think I'm making this some catalytic thing like the world is gonna start turning in reverse if you choose to not vote vs. writing someone in. I'm really struggling because in my mind, this really couldn't be simpler. Why am I having to explain how voting - for a candidate on the ballot or writing someone in - vs. NOT voting, are not the same thing.

But it's pretty clear that you and I aren't gonna see eye to eye on this one.

No we aren't going to see eye to eye. You seem to think voting in itself is something of significance. It's not, and that's demonstrable fact. It doesn't serve me at all to walk around with a sticker saying "I Voted." If I feel like my vote will matter even to the tiniest degree I'll vote. If I feel like my vote doesn't matter and voting would be a waste of my time, then I'll pass. My time may not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to me, certainly more than that sticker.
  • mryounggun
    Options

1. The point is that, while Maryland is still strongly blue, you really have no way at all of knowing who shares your 'Other people got this ? ! I can not vote and we'll still come out blue!'. Enough blues feel like that and red wins. It works out for you guys THIS time. But be wary.

2. Everything before 'As for the two other candidates...' is irrelevant because my point is that your post seemed to indicate that you only had the choice to vote for 2 candidates and that is false. As for the other two not being qualified - per my other point - write in who you DO feel is qualified. As for you feeling that that is no different than not voting, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. VOTING for a candidate by writing him/her in is the exact opposite of NOT VOTING. I struggle with how those two things could be the same.

1) I do have a way because I actually research and read, not just about what's going on, but also with history. There was 0 chance MD was going to Trump, and it didn't. You can throw your hypotheticals out there all you want. I live in the real world not a hypothetical one. I made my decision based on what the real world data told me and that data was correct.

2) No I didn't vote because there was no one I wanted to vote for. Period. These discussions are only about two candidates so that's why emphasized them, but make no mistake, the other two were not good candidates either. And again, you keep proposing this "write-in" solution as some kind of viable option. You say you don't see how those could be the same. You tell me what is the difference between the end effect of me writing in a name nobody else will vote for and me not voting at all?

The difference is that in one scenario...you've voted. And in the other...you haven't. It's not about if the candidate you write in wins. It's about the democratic process of voting. You seem to think I'm making this some catalytic thing like the world is gonna start turning in reverse if you choose to not vote vs. writing someone in. I'm really struggling because in my mind, this really couldn't be simpler. Why am I having to explain how voting - for a candidate on the ballot or writing someone in - vs. NOT voting, are not the same thing.

No we aren't going to see eye to eye. You seem to think voting in itself is something of significance. It's not, and that's demonstrable fact. It doesn't serve me at all to walk around with a sticker saying "I Voted." If I feel like my vote will matter even to the tiniest degree I'll vote. If I feel like my vote doesn't matter and voting would be a waste of my time, then I'll pass. My time may not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to me, certainly more than that sticker.

One of us should have mentioned this before and saved us both some time. The bolded is correct, I do feel like that. And if you feel differently, than there isn't anything else to talk about on this topic.

Salute.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the 2nd time in a row the republican president-elect lost the popular vote and won the election.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

One of us should have mentioned this before and saved us both some time. The bolded is correct, I do feel like that. And if you feel differently, than there isn't anything else to talk about on this topic.

Salute.

You right. It's all good though. Anything that helps the work day move by faster is cool with me.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You do realize that Bush Jr won his first election by 538 votes and proceeded to change the course of history for the worse for most non billionaires in basically the whole world, right?

But go ahead and be Mr. too cynical to vote. I just wish people lilke you would take the same approach to writing posts about it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

You do realize that Bush Jr won his first election by 538 votes and proceeded to change the course of history for the worse for most non billionaires in basically the whole world, right?

But go ahead and be Mr. too cynical to vote. I just wish people lilke you would take the same approach to writing posts about it.

That's impossible since there aren't 538 EC votes and the EC is what determines a the winner of an election. And if you understand about the EC, then you should know why what you're saying is stupid. And I didn't vote out of cynicism. If you can't understand that, that's fine. If you don't want to read my posts about it, that's fine too. But one thing you might want to read is the thread title. And if you read that then you should probably understand why it was stupid of you to come in here if you didn't want to read posts about why some people didn't vote.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

Well said. You have to vote to get your choice. Apathy gets the results we have seen. All you can do is your part. But its obvious where doing nothing gets you. From the Presidency to Congress and senate. Others exercising their power and you not.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Well said. You have to vote to get your choice. Apathy gets the results we have seen. All you can do is your part. But its obvious where doing nothing gets you. From the Presidency to Congress and senate. Others exercising their power and you not.

It wasn't apathy. I've already explained why I didn't vote, and not caring had nothing to do with it. Believe what ya'll want though. If blaming me and others who chose not to vote for Trump's presidency will make you feel better about yourselves and get you through the next four years, go for it.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Salute.

What benefits have black people gotten by voting as a monolith for the past 100 years?

I'm genuinely curious
  • SneakDZA
    Options

That's impossible since there aren't 538 EC votes and the EC is what determines a the winner of an election. And if you understand about the EC, then you should know why what you're saying is stupid. And I didn't vote out of cynicism. If you can't understand that, that's fine. If you don't want to read my posts about it, that's fine too. But one thing you might want to read is the thread title. And if you read that then you should probably understand why it was stupid of you to come in here if you didn't want to read posts about why some people didn't vote.

Please do some reading about how the electoral college works. Also...

After an intense recount process and the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore, Governor George W. Bush officially won Florida's electoral votes, by a margin of only 537 votes out of almost 6 million cast, and as a result, the entire presidential election. The process was extremely divisive, and led to calls for electoral reform in Florida.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Once again, that is irrelevant and it shows that you still don't understand the system

Gore won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote

How could more popular votes have changed this? Im genuinely curious
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

You still haven't answered what voting has gotten you

You already admitted that you're afraid of losing your comfortable lifestyle and that this fear is what drove you to vote for someone who's history you have not researched

Why are you trying to mislead people who are not in the same position as you are?
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

After an intense recount process and the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore, Governor George W. Bush officially won Florida's electoral votes, by a margin of only 537 votes out of almost 6 million cast, and as a result, the entire presidential election. The process was extremely divisive, and led to calls for electoral reform in Florida.

Once again, gore won the popular vote and lost the election, so what are you talking about?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

lol I'm familiar with the way the process works. I was actually in FL for that election and I voted for Gore. I live in MD now and no such shenanigans was at play in my state this year. So please explain how your point pertains to me and my reasons for not voting.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

Once again, gore won the popular vote and lost the election, so what are you talking about?

^^^
    him stupid
  • mryounggun
    Options

Salute.

What benefits have black people gotten by voting as a monolith for the past 100 years?

I'm genuinely curious

Did I say at any point black people have or should vote as a monolith?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what are some good political books? be it political knowledge, insider ? , whatever else
  • xxCivicxx
    edited November 2016
    Options

Salute.

I'm genuinely curious

Did I say at any point black people have or should vote as a monolith?

No, I'm saying it

Black people have historically voted as a monolith, I'm asking you what benefits have come from black people "just voting"(as a monolith) as opposed to looking at the facts and then CHOOSING whether to vote or not?
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

^^^
    him stupid

Ok cool, explain your point to me like I'm an idiot
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    not my job. google "how does the electoral college work"
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Oh I know how it works, better than you. Please believe that

YOU don't know how it works, yet you still feel like you can post as if you're an authority when you clearly are not

You copy/pasted that paragraph about the EC, which means you cannot explain the EC in your own words, which means that you do not understand how it works. It's really that simple

It's also not your job to make ignorant statements that you cannot support fyi. So next time I'll just assume you don't know what you're talking about and I'll ignore your post
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a rebellious thing, a form of protest, people don't want to be followers or sheep... but not voting solves nothing.

Get your point, but its short sighted since we haven't seen the outcome of the majority of people not voting. Not even close...
  • SneakDZA
    Options

YOU don't know how it works, yet you still feel like you can post as if you're an authority when you clearly are not

You copy/pasted that paragraph about the EC, which means you cannot explain the EC in your own words, which means that you do not understand how it works. It's really that simple

It's also not your job to make ignorant statements that you cannot support fyi. So next time I'll just assume you don't know what you're talking about and I'll ignore your post

No i pasted a paragraph about the number of individual votes that determined the outcome of the 2000 election you dolt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No i pasted a paragraph about the number of individual votes that determined the outcome of the 2000 election you dolt.

And you still don't seem to understand the information you're posting. What you pasted doesn't support the broad statements you're making. Florida was decided by ~500 votes. You're acting like that some kind of evidence that everyone who didn't vote was responsible for Bush being elected because that margin was so slim. If you truly understood how the EC works, then you'd understand how stupid it is to hold nonvoters in other states responsible for what happened in FL.