As a black man, does this meme offend you?

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    They think they special or something?

99.9% of the time the people/person in a meme didn't make it. Probably somebody who saw the pic and decided to make a "statement"
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It didn't at first. But, as a hipster agnostic Africana feminist who identifies as pastafarian and does pansexual naked cross-fit yoga twice a week, this does sort of offend me.

Yo OB holla at a ? :)
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Funny that a lot of people don't really understand the context of the meme.

As Copper alluded to, it's a reference to respectability politics.

Never heard that term before, but it's basically a plea for white acceptance by claiming that you're not like the................."bad ? "...................that they stereotype.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not really impressed by what ? wear ? talk ? but I really don't care--- DMX
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

Never heard that term before, but it's basically a plea for white acceptance by claiming that you're not like the................."bad ? "...................that they stereotype.

I wouldn't disagree with that if it wasn't for the fact that there are black people in our own communities who are just as close minded and their opinions are completely separate from that of racist white folk.

Like the black woman who thinks all black men are "ain't ? " thugs because that's all she's known. Or the black man who thinks real ? only rock jeans, fitteds, and Jordan's because that's all he seen on tv since he was a kid. Or a child who thinks wearing ties are lame because no one in their family ever wore a tie.

Those people exist too and you'd be lying if you said they don't cause I run into ignorant folk of all ages and races. They see a young black man dressed professionally and they don't know how to act. Hell no, I don't think I'm doing anything special by putting on a tie but I'm aware that alot of people think that I think I am because they aren't used to it.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol I know one of the cats in this pic....ironic ? . Homie is a street ? from the chi. Don't ask which one cuz I won't tell, but that alone throws the ? stereotype out the window. In my opinion at least
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should be offended. What it is saying is that black men only deserve respect if we have degrees/professional jobs, etc.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    You should be offended. What it is saying is that black men only deserve respect if we have degrees/professional jobs, etc.

kanye.jpg
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It didn't at first. But, as a hipster agnostic Africana feminist who identifies as pastafarian and does sexual naked cross-fit yoga twice a week, this does sort of offend me.
    You have aroused my attention ma'am
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No its another corny meme and a helping of white appeasement

(i dont sag my pants.. and dont see saggin your pants of cultural significance or something ? only do)
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since when does dressing appropriately equate to white appeasement? That's the same ? people get for "sounding white" and using proper English.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not offended and sagging is dumb. This meme is dumb...
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It don't offend me cuz it's true
    But I'm taking the picture at face value
  • BackInWhite
    Options

I wouldn't disagree with that if it wasn't for the fact that there are black people in our own communities who are just as close minded and their opinions are completely separate from that of racist white folk.

Like the black woman who thinks all black men are "ain't ? " thugs because that's all she's known. Or the black man who thinks real ? only rock jeans, fitteds, and Jordan's because that's all he seen on tv since he was a kid. Or a child who thinks wearing ties are lame because no one in their family ever wore a tie.

Those people exist too and you'd be lying if you said they don't cause I run into ignorant folk of all ages and races. They see a young black man dressed professionally and they don't know how to act. Hell no, I don't think I'm doing anything special by putting on a tie but I'm aware that alot of people think that I think I am because they aren't used to it.

Yes you do
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Since when does dressing appropriately equate to white appeasement? .

Who said this?
  • BackInWhite
    Options

Yes you do

No feelings brah
    But you wouldn't even mention that ? if you ain't think it didn't somehow put over the next ? that don't
    Steve Harvey suit wearin ass ?
    Fat shoulder pads ass ?
    The gangsta cats Tom called when jerry got his cousin on him lookin ass ?
    You was the same ? pop locking to usher's yeah wearing a blazer, some jeans and a wallet chain a few years ago
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

kanye.jpg

Well, perhaps I should have said that it contributes to that type of thinking.

And it does. A white guy can be bummy-looking, and still get all the respect due him. We don't have a similar luxury. Any kind of dressing down, and people -- including some black people -- think we are broke, and throw us signs of disrespect. I see the difference between how I am treated when I am dressed for work and when I am not.

People -- especially black people, cause these experiences hurt me more when black people do it -- need to respect all black men, even if some of us may not have professional jobs or much.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't totally get the point of sagging solely from a stand point of practicality. I just don't have the build to sag tho, I have too much of a bubble butt. (No ? x100, No Bcotton)
  • soul rattler
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yes you do

No feelings brah
    But you wouldn't even mention that ? if you ain't think it didn't somehow put over the next ? that don't
    I mention the ? because young black men and women will ask me regularly why I wear ties and slacks. I mention the ? because older black men and women point out how I dress to contrast how I look from the next ? who dress different.

If everybody wore dresses and suits in 2016 I wouldn't feel any different than I do right now. I defend the next man right to dress as hood as he wants even if it ain't my style. But like this thread has shown, there's a groundswell of ? who have this "you ain't better than me" mentality when I aint even comparing myself to nobody.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idgaf I sagg like a mf....

I like the symmetry look of the shirt sitting on top of the pants....not the shirt over lapping the pants....
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So much insecurity in this thread.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Im too old to sag and I dont wanna wear jeans with blazers when I got to the grocery store shrugs lol

And on the flip side of that it's some old ? that sag, smh
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Im too old to sag and I dont wanna wear jeans with blazers when I got to the grocery store shrugs lol

And on the flip side of that it's some old ? that sag, smh

I can't front I sagged a lil in the 90s and early 2k. But not all they way falling down. But u was young. Nowadays the sag with tight pants ? is ? lol