Ab-Soul's "DWTW" album 12.09.16

Options

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    The album is unashamedly commenting on themes related to Christian theology... a lot of mentions of Christ, creation and women's role on earth as humans

The album title too is somewhat biblical...

The ode to Ras Kass' 'Nature Of The Threat' was deep.

It's dark and gritty. Like it better than These Days but his best work is still undoubtedly Control System

4/5

Thats my issue with Soul he tackles to many issues\concepts im not interested in, thats where he lost me on Control System also.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    The album is unashamedly commenting on themes related to Christian theology... a lot of mentions of Christ, creation and women's role on earth as humans

It's dark and gritty. Like it better than These Days but his best work is still undoubtedly Control System

4/5

Thats my issue with Soul he tackles to many issues\concepts im not interested in, thats where he lost me on Control System also.

With Black Hippy I just categorise them 4 based on my interpretation of the music they make:

Soulo - Occult, Religion, world politics etc (the cover of These Days was him crucified like Christ)
    Jay Rock - street hustler
    K. Dot - self consciousness/Black empowerment
    Q - Party animal/drugs/women plus some street too

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if I'm not wild interested about all the concepts, Soulo is one of the few rappers that make me dig deeper into the lyrics because he's coming with nothing but bars but I don't view him as one of those rippity rappity dudes. Agree with ripdilla, it's better than These Days but not better than Control System.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna go get on control system after i burn through this a few more times.

Havent been able to put it down since i put it on.

Gotta say im a fan.
  • qeezus_price
    qeezus_price Members Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love this album. Pretty good body of work. Great lyrics, great production. The 1st 4 songs kind of sound the same so it kinds it makes the album feel long, but other than that. Great album. 8.5/10
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ain't better than Control system but this album is very good
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Soul said drugs mean Don't Ruin Us ? Said
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Soul said drugs mean Don't Ruin Us ? Said

I think he got that from Lupe
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Soul I just don't like his delivery at times. Like I said the first couple of tracks sound too much alike to me. Production isn't varied enough in the beginning.

I also hate when rappers set up they punchlines perfectly then say "get it?" Soul does this A LOT. but the airplay wordplay is there without being too rappity.

After the first few tracks to the end its great. 4/5
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D.r.u.g.s definitely my favorite record
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I havent gotten to listen to Cole's album because this ? stays on repeat.
    Love: RAW, Huey Knew THEN, Threatening Nature, INvocation, D.R.U.G.S. and YMF
    I dont skip songs on it, but i might have to.
    Also, gotta get ready for that Lox ? .
  • qeezus_price
    qeezus_price Members Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDBIID wrote: »
    D.r.u.g.s definitely my favorite record

Love that record. ? 's a girl, lonely soul, ymf, beat the case. My favorite tracks right now
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can somebody hook a brother up... thanks in advance...
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

4/5

With Black Hippy I just categorise them 4 based on my interpretation of the music they make:

Soulo - Occult, Religion, world politics etc (the cover of These Days was him crucified like Christ)
    Jay Rock - street hustler
    K. Dot - self consciousness/Black empowerment
    Q - Party animal/drugs/women plus some street too

And that's what so dope about Black Hippy. They all have different styles, but it all comes together like gumbo when they make tracks together. There's not a lot of groups that can do that. With most groups they're either all conscious or street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jug2HZ3dkoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziocaSimyc
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just burned through a few tracks like what im hearing so far.

Dude is spittin on this album.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Evil genius is awesome
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This album is tough!
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This album is amazing
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So he follows the occult, specifically a religion named Thelema created by an English guy back in the 1900's who claims he was given The Book of Law from a spirit that visited him and his wife whilst in Egypt.

I wonder if peeps even know what they are listening to??!!

I personally find it an intriguing album and not yet sure if he cosigning ? or the Devil...has a certain dark feel to it despite the obvious christian references.

But maybe that is the point. Do What Thou Wilt....worship ? and the Devil????
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    So he follows the occult, specifically a religion named Thelema created by an English guy back in the 1900's who claims he was given The Book of Law from a spirit that visited him and his wife whilst in Egypt.

I personally find it an intriguing album and not yet sure if he cosigning ? or the Devil...has a certain dark feel to it despite the obvious christian references.

Yeh that's kinda the vibe I got from the lyric" The righteous will remain righteous and the filthy will remain filthy"...that lyric proper caught the vibe of the title of the album for me.... I could be completely off tho
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Listen to his interview run he just went on last week. He's not on no satanishit.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ab soul comes across as someone who watches a lot of YouTube videos about politics
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Aliester Crowley was indeed a very wicked man(who dubbed himself the beast 666 and the wickest man alive) who channeled lower realm entities thru sex magic and various white magic occult rituals..He was a Satanist at heart regardless of what fancy titles he gave himself...His deeds speak for themselves ..In his heart he yearned to be a black man..He even prayed to a picture of a black man with a long phallus during his sex magic rituals(which also included blood drinking and sex with animals)..Str8 ? white boy ?

Them Thelema witches and warlocks are novices at best in the realm of occult sciences..They are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the occult arena...They believe in blood offering,taking drugs and low vibration sex rituals and ?

Ab-soul seemingly looks like a sell out in my eyes when eye really think about it...Why is he bigging up this sort of caucasian occultist ?..Is he involved in circles that practice sex magic?

Be careful what you listening to yall

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »

Listen to his interview run he just went on last week. He's not on no satanishit.

Haven't had a chance to check interviews but he mentions Aleister Crowley on one of the tracks who is the dude I was talking about and coined the phrase "Do What tho Wilt"

I don't think he is on that ? but he clearly shows an interest.

Read up on dude and then listen to the album again...it's peppered with occultisms.