Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS Light (February 10th, 2017)

Options

Comments

• Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So these are the cuts that the label was pushing to be on T&Y?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

According to Lupe, yea. Since Atlantic is getting a percentage of this album, he gave us trap and pop throwaways. Drogas and Skulls are supposed to be his masterpieces so to keep them from getting anything from his babies he gave us Drogas Light.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Lupe top 5

Top 5 of rappers under 50 years old.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like 'Wild Child' and '? '...
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen a used copy of this in FYE like a week or less after it was released
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    I seen a used copy of this in FYE like a week or less after it was released

Good for you bruh...
  • Listencloser
    Options
    I decided to go back and listen to this album after Lupe won the Rapper of the new Millenium poll contest. If I don't compare it to T&Y, Y&T, FnL and The Cool it's not bad of a project. The first half has solid vibes good lyrics and beats and the second half only has 2 or 3 skipable poppy tracks. I'll bump it up to a 3/5 from the 2.5 I originally gave it.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

According to Lupe, yea. Since Atlantic is getting a percentage of this album, he gave us trap and pop throwaways. Drogas and Skulls are supposed to be his masterpieces so to keep them from getting anything from his babies he gave us Drogas Light.

How is Atlantic involved in this album...I thought T&Y was his last

And shoutout to Lupe and Ab-Soul for putting their concert on IG live...? i was there with Soulo Monday night
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

And shoutout to Lupe and Ab-Soul for putting their concert on IG live...? i was there with Soulo Monday night

Stipulation for his independence. Think of it as a 360 deal without actually being on the label and all they're getting is a pencentage of the Light's album sales. Not to mention, most of that album was recorded on their dime.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Stipulation for his independence. Think of it as a 360 deal without actually being on the label and all they're getting is a pencentage of the Light's album sales. Not to mention, most of that album was recorded on their dime.

Ok so they already owned the recordings, he just got around to releasing them

I felt like Jump was a Laser's cut but too hot for that album
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco Admits He Made a ? Album Because Atlantic Didn’t “Deserve” His Best
    By DJ Z

On February 10, Lupe Fiasco released his sixth full-length album, DROGAS Light, which moved just north of 14k first-week copies.

During a recent show in Seattle, Washington, the Chicago rapper took five minutes out of his show to speak to the crowd about the quality of the material on that album, which was largely panned by critics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHy6_Qe63oU

"DROGAS Light was a compilation of old ass songs we just had laying around," Lupe revealed.

Whereas most artists would never want their "old ass songs" to ever see the light of day, Lupe's decision to patch together 14 leftover tracks was part of a strategy he concocted on the fly to screw his former label home Atlantic Records.

Although Lupe announced that he was no longer signed to Atlantic following the release of 2015's Tetsuo & Youth, the 35-year-old emcee was "officially, unofficially" obligated to release one more project (DROGAS Light) to fulfill the terms of his original recording contract.

Unfortunately, Lupe was more concerned with giving the industry machine the middle finger than delivering quality music for his fans.

In his own words:

"Around Lasers, I knew there was going to be some ? . So, I was like, you know what? I will never, ever, ever, as long as I'm on this label, give this label my heart. What I truly believe and what I really feel. Cause I feel like when you work for somebody, they have to show you some love back; show that they deserve your worth. So, since Lasers, I've never really put my all into a project because I feel like Atlantic doesn't deserve it. So I took an L."

While die-hard fans will undoubtedly be discouraged to hear that Lupe mailed in Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1, Tetsuo & Youth and DROGAS Light, good news, or rather, music, is on the way.

According to Lupe, the follow-up to DROGAS Light, appropriately-titled, DROGAS Wave, "is amazing" and his "best album to date."

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/554176/lupe-fiasco-drogas-light-february-10th-2017
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    ^^^ Lol I've said this ? countless times in here :joy:
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Also, smmfh @ T&Y being mailed in. That ? is a masterpiece and was released the way it was BECAUSE he knew he was getting off Atlantic.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So is this album wack now because Lupe said its wack or people gonna act like ? aint wack still?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So is this album wack now because Lupe said its wack or people gonna act like ? aint wack still?

It's "wack" because it was "mailed in." That info has been readily available since December. It, imo, is not a wack album though. Underwhelming maybe, but I already knew the circumstances of the project so I knew damn well not to go in expecting another T&Y or better.

Yall ? just got tricked by a throwaways compilation. Lol
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who got tricked by this ? You mean there were people expecting something better than T&Y, The Cool, FL1?
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if Lupe says it's weak and if it's Mailed in or not I still enjoy most of the album........including "it's not design" that's still my ?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Even if Lupe says it's weak and if it's Mailed in or not I still enjoy most of the album........including "it's not design" that's still my ?

Bruh, me too. And I still ? with goofy ass It's Not Design.
  • Listencloser
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ayo this album is flames what the ? were we thinking?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just list3ned to this like a couple weeks ago it bangs to me *shrugs*
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Ayo this album is flames what the ? were we thinking?
    I just list3ned to this like a couple weeks ago it bangs to me *shrugs*

Ayo, I love yall, b. Nh