CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Top 10 impact.

Top 10 storyteller.

Top 10 flow.

Top 10 Technically....

Low teens, early 20s discography.

He had 3 good albums to start with. A few bad ones. I thought relapse could have been really dope, but he messed it up with his voice inflections or whatever he was trying to do.

First white boy to break through commercially, had the greatest year an artist could possibly have in 2002. He has a lot of dope, dope verses that don't involve ? like his mom, or fantasizing as being a serial killer, has many unforgivable songs and verses(I'm looking at you "? ").

All that aside, If you put Em in a booth with a beat, and tell him to just go in... He's in the conversation. Period.

Disagree with the bolded. Particularly the last bit. Em been ruinin' songs recently
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Objectively Eminem is NOT Top 10 DOA
    Objectively, but then proceeds with subjective question.
  • ChiefSosa
    ChiefSosa Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Why do I.C posters constantly discuss Em when this is majority of his fan base and audience

Why constantly discuss a Pop artist who's core fan base is females, teenage girls and Pop music fans even if it is to hate?

These fans are never gonna change their mind the 300 million fans around the world he has are never gonna change their mind because a Mockingbird and similar type songs and albums such as TES and Recovery are the type of music these fans like. So what is the purpose of these threads?
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ChiefSosa wrote: »
    Why do I.C posters constantly discuss Em when this is majority of his fan base and audience

Why constantly discuss a Pop artist who's core fan base is females, teenage girls and Pop music fans even if it is to hate?

These fans are never gonna change their mind the 300 million fans around the world he has are never gonna change their mind because a Mockingbird and similar type songs and albums such as TES and Recovery are the type of music these fans like. So what is the purpose of these threads?

Some Deeper songs they should be exposed to are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfuvu2Z0cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ars5Ji58Imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT4LXnjGUyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yYwKYqtsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5srnNrICJo or Lucky me which has been wiped from Youtube...

just a few they should check before believing hthe hype if they are seeking deep...
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Objectively Eminem is Top 10 DOA
    ILLBOT wrote: »
    ILLBOT detected banned alias
    Reason: 3Hunna

Human beings, viewed as behaving systems, are quite simple.
    ChiefSosa

1408.gif

Thats the first time Illbot has clapped her ass. Thats my ? !
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People get too hung up on lists. It's all preference.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Eminem is one of the best "technical" rappers.

Why? Because he can cram a bunch of multisyllable rhymes in a bar? Half the people on this forum can write a verse like that. Just take your time and try to use big words and make them rhyme. That's not impressive.

The question is: can you rhyme words that actually say something clever, deep, insightful, interesting, metaphorical, relevant, powerful, etc? Can you spit the verse on a beat in time by staying in the pocket and not exhausting the listener? Can you spit the verse with a flow that isn't grating on the ears? Can use a multisyllable rhyme scheme and somehow, almost incredibly, manage to weave together a compelling story out of it? If so, then that's truly impressive, and one of the most complicated, difficult tasks you can achieve as an MC.

That's what I call technical. What I don't call technical is the ability to rhyme swimming pool and winning fool in a verse, or some other pointless random string a words that Eminem mashes together. That ? is stupid and not hard. It's hard to rhyme meaningful words in complex ways.

• za'kiss
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Objectively from a technical standpoint i dont see how he can be argued out of a top 10

Because there are 10 other MC's more technical. What does that even mean though? "Technical"?

Applies to the actual measurable quality of rap.

Not things like storytelling, punchlines, delivery etc.

Big pun and chino xl are also great technical rappers.

See, this is exactly my point.

This shows how much Em fans have to twist and contort to make the case that Eminem is a great rapper. They say he's "technical", but not the way we ordinarily think of technical, but define technical as excluding every known standard of quality MCing - storytelling, punchline, delivery, metahpor, flow - to include, what, exactly? Rhyming a bunch of random words together? ? is ridiculous.

No, a great "technical" MC is precisely one with great punchlines (BARS), delivery, storytelling, and flow. If Em's got none of these things, then the only thing to conclude here is that he's just wack.
  • Stew
    edited June 2017
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »
    I'm dropping a novel here because of this "biased" nonsense. You've been warned.

Eminem doesn't ? my top 100. I don't rank rappers beyond that, and I don't care about commercial success. So he doesn't get in my top anything. Am I biased? I don't think so. I think he's wack. Full stop.

Yes, like any sane listener I thought Marshall Mathers was a good album at the time, and I liked quite a few songs off The Slim Shady LP. He had a lot of credibility back in the early 00s. I admit that. I thought he had a pretty good flow. He knew how to ride the beat and I thought his horrocore stuff was funny for a while.

But he's been ? way longer than he's been a good rapper. The Eminem Show doesn't age well. His flow isn't completely shot on that album, but the songs aren't very good. Didn't care much for the production and the content doesn't interest me. By the time of Encore, he'd already lost me completely content wise and flow had started its irrevocable decline.

That was in 2004. So his last good album was in 2000, his last listenable album was in 2002. So he's been garbage for 15+ years. Since then, he lost his flow completely from 2004-2010, when he started rapping in those weird accents and out of the pocket, and was talking about the most irrelevant, worthless ? imaginable. He finally kicked the accents and improved his voice slightly, but the content is still gone.

Since around 2010-2011, you can tell he's become really insecure about how he's perceived by the rap community, fearing he's lost his respect from when he fell off with those accents, and he's even referenced this fact in several songs. So he tried to over-correct for it by taking on this new lyrical miracle rappity rap style of over the top, exhausting multisyllabic rhyming about random ? that he continues to sprinkle with dashes of domestic violence. These days he's all about cramming as many words into a bar as possible and barely staying on beat. This is why anytime you see him in a cypher anymore he arrogantly tells DJs to turn off the beat, as if he's about shock the world with his amazing lyricism, but it comes across as very forced and awkward. He's clearly desperate for credibility, but he's got absolutely nothing to say and is just super exhausting.

Back in his rich period ('99-'00), he would take his time with the beat. He'd have a few internal rhymes, but was confident enough in what he was saying he could slow down, carefully select his words by limiting his vocabulary, and would focus mostly on rhyming on the 2nd and 4th beat like a traditional 90s MC. He had nice breath control and could keep time, and had this edgy punk rock "? you" attitude that was refreshing at the time. But again, that was '99-'00, and as I said, means he's been garbage for over 15 years. Think about that. 15+ years of unlistenable, trash music. That's unprecedented. I can't in good conscience put a rapper with that track record in my top anything.

I acknowledge that the first two albums are good, so I don't think I'm being "biased" by saying a rapper who has been pumping out irrelevant, ? music for 15+ years is wack.
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Eminem is one of the best "technical" rappers.

Why? Because he can cram a bunch of multisyllable rhymes in a bar? Half the people on this forum can write a verse like that. Just take your time and try to use big words and make them rhyme. That's not impressive.

The question is: can you rhyme words that actually say something clever, deep, insightful, interesting, metaphorical, relevant, powerful, etc? Can you spit the verse on a beat in time by staying in the pocket and not exhausting the listener? Can you spit the verse with a flow that isn't grating on the ears? Can use a multisyllable rhyme scheme and somehow, almost incredibly, manage to weave together a compelling story out of it? If so, then that's truly impressive, and one of the most complicated, difficult tasks you can achieve as an MC.

That's what I call technical. What I don't call technical is the ability to rhyme swimming pool and winning fool in a verse, or some other pointless random string a words that Eminem mashes together. That ? is stupid and not hard. It's hard to rhyme meaningful words in complex ways.
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Objectively from a technical standpoint i dont see how he can be argued out of a top 10

Because there are 10 other MC's more technical. What does that even mean though? "Technical"?

Applies to the actual measurable quality of rap.

Not things like storytelling, punchlines, delivery etc.

Big pun and chino xl are also great technical rappers.

See, this is exactly my point.

This shows how much Em fans have to twist and contort to make the case that Eminem is a great rapper. They say he's "technical", but not the way we ordinarily think of technical, but define technical as excluding every known standard of quality MCing - storytelling, punchline, delivery, metahpor, flow - to include, what, exactly? Rhyming a bunch of random words together? ? is ridiculous.

No, a great "technical" MC is precisely one with great punchlines (BARS), delivery, storytelling, and flow. If Em's got none of these things, then the only thing to conclude here is that he's just wack.

That's a massive amount of words for somebody you don't even have in your top 100! ? :joy:
  • za'kiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

That's a massive amount of words for somebody you don't even have in your top 100! ? :joy:

I'm a fan of hip-hop and Eminem has managed to have a huge impact on the culture. His place in it is worth addressing. I usually avoid contributing a lot to this subject, but it's something that needs to be addressed, especially since true heads are accused of "bias" if they don't like him. Em fans try to hijack what counts as a "great MC" by elevating this dude. It's weak.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That defines 90% of the IC's favorite rappers
  • Stew
    Options

I'm a fan of hip-hop and Eminem has managed to have a huge impact on the culture. His place in it is worth addressing. I usually avoid contributing a lot to this subject, but it's something that needs to be addressed, especially since true heads are accused of "bias" if they don't like him. Em fans try to hijack what counts as a "great MC" by elevating this dude. It's weak.

Word, so go ahead and drop them 100 rappers that are better so we can get a good laugh in.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not about to play with y'all niqqaz..
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lotta trash posts in this joint. Yall trippin...not even top 100?? 2 of the top 5 most selling hip hop albums of all time but not even top 100? Of course i dont care about sales...but thats WITH his talent.

Some of the newer dudes yall listed above him were influenced by him.

One of the best mainstream rappers who came up battling. No deep songs? Anyone listen to infinite? Mmlp? Eminem show? His content made him controversial. Cant say he has no substance. Im convinced u all dont know his catalog that well or just biased af.

Trash posts
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Im shocked that em is losing this poll

Even more shocked that the same ? that said no have wayne in their top 10

Woah woah woah name names don't disrespek me like that
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    Lotta trash posts in this joint. Yall trippin...not even top 100?? 2 of the top 5 most selling hip hop albums of all time but not even top 100? Of course i dont care about sales...but thats WITH his talent.

One of the best mainstream rappers who came up battling. No deep songs? Anyone listen to infinite? Mmlp? Eminem show? His content made him controversial. Cant say he has no substance. Im convinced u all dont know his catalog that well or just biased af.

Trash posts

Didn't get a chance to. I was too busy listening to the Racist Rap Hour by Bassmint productions.
    But I digress, some of you negroes will fight to the end for ? . Even, objectively, dude has no timeless music even with his "lyrical miracle spiritual" style. I used to play his ? when I was a kid and when I became a man, I realized this ? was trash. Dope fiend, ? orgies, always whining about his heart being broken, talked about ? his own mother, wanted to ? his baby's mother, battled Mariah Carey (smh, really ? ), outdated production, not much substance, no soul at all, oh and how can I forget the classic tracks Just Lose It and ? . Man, ? y'all ? clowns.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word, so go ahead and drop them 100 rappers that are better so we can get a good laugh in.

I have Em in my top 10 but its very obvious that @za'kiss isnt being biased he gave legitimate reasons for why he doesnt consider em top 10 worthy and i respect it,

Not everyone is gonna think hes as dope as you do, im not sure why you are dismissing an opposing view as if an opinion is the same as a fact
  • Stew
    edited June 2017
    Options
    L3NU wrote: »

I have Em in my top 10 but its very obvious that @za'kiss isnt being biased he gave legitimate reasons for why he doesnt consider em top 10 worthy and i respect it,

Not everyone is gonna think hes as dope as you do, im not sure why you are dismissing an opposing view as if an opinion is the same as a fact

All I did was ask him to drop his 100 rappers better list, the ? ? How did u get anything else out of that?
  • Go figure
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

Trash posts

Didn't get a chance to. I was too busy listening to the Racist Rap Hour by Bassmint productions.
    But I digress, some of you negroes will fight to the end for ? . Even, objectively, dude has no timeless music even with his "lyrical miracle spiritual" style. I used to play his ? when I was a kid and when I became a man, I realized this ? was trash. Dope fiend, ? orgies, always whining about his heart being broken, talked about ? his own mother, wanted to ? his baby's mother, battled Mariah Carey (smh, really ? ), outdated production, not much substance, no soul at all, oh and how can I forget the classic tracks Just Lose It and ? . Man, ? y'all ? clowns.

None of the ? u mentioned was in any of the albums i named including just lose it and ? except him being an addict.

Trash post
  • dwade206
    Options

Trash posts

None of the ? u mentioned was in any of the albums i named including just lose it and ? except him being an addict.

Trash post

"Oh no you don't. I'sss gon fight fo ? til da end. He dies, I die. He sick, I'sss sick. He likes Vicodin and ? orgies, I'sss like em too, bee bopp ba doodle doo do."
    ? outta here. Your boy is trash.
  • Go figure
    edited June 2017
    Options

Trash posts

Trash post

"Oh no you don't. I'sss gon fight fo ? til da end. He dies, I die. He sick, I'sss sick. He likes Vicodin and ? orgies, I'sss like em too, bee bopp ba doodle doo do."

All your posts in here mention racism or coonism ur focusing on the racist tape not skill level which is fine but not objective.

The top 5 alive today ? with Em so by ur logic theyre ? n if u listen to any of them u callin urself a ? . Have at it bro
  • dwade206
    Options

Trash posts

Trash post

All your posts in here mention racism or coonism ur focusing on the racist tape not skill level which is fine but not objective.

The top 5 alive today ? with em so by ur logic theyre ? n if u listen to any of em u callin urself a ? . Have at it bro

Yeah, you conveniently ignored the rest of my post. Selective reading ass ? .
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao "em top 5 so the racist ? don't matter cuz everyone else is racist!"

This ? is sad