OBJECTIVELY is Eminem Top 10 DOA?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in The Reason
ob·jec·tive·ly
əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/
adverb
in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.
"events should be reported objectively"
synonyms: impartially, without bias, without prejudice, evenhandedly, dispassionately, detachedly, equitably, fairly, justly, open-mindedly, with an open mind
"encourage people to look at the information objectively and see how it will affect them"

OBJECTIVELY Is Eminem Top 10 DOA based on the three criteria

1. Skills (flow, wordplay, storytelling, alliteration, metaphors, similes, double entendres and punchlines)

2. Catalog/Discography (How does HIS BEST MATERIAL hold up in comparison to Jay, Nas, Biggie and 2Pac?)

3. Impact on society (How has he influenced American culture (Pop and Hip Hop) including record sales and popularity since he entered the industry?)

OBJECTIVELY is Eminem Top 10 DOA? 83 votes

Objectively Eminem is Top 10 DOA
31%
[Deleted User]power_wisdomwater ur seedsemaculateStewplat-grillz1982Karl.illestni99ainneL.O.S.T.WeazelMister B.L3NULogical TruthsBetaTrillfatetrilladelicblacktuxGo figureRonin705Jonah 2.0 26 votes
Objectively Eminem is NOT Top 10 DOA
68%
a_listsouthsil4lildwade206sapp08_2001nawledge_godtharealest5615th Lettersoul rattlerjonodouble0sugednyce215THE_R_qawshunR.D.moyogman82MECCA1000illedoutza'kissFly society513 57 votes

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not top 10 but a lot better than some rappers ppl put in their top 10
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Based off his his work from 98-03 & glimpses of greatness since he's top 20 to me. Wouldn't have him in my top 10.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we are going by your criteria then yes. Lyrically he can't be question. His first 2 albums were dope. After that the quality fell off. So there he is lacking but still those 2 albums had impact on the game. Some will say his 3rd too. I didn't care for it though. And he definitely had impact on Society. You got white kids who don't know anything about rap, but Em. He's not in my top 10 though.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me he is.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to have him in my top 10, to me Royce is better
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Decent lyricist at best, garbage catalog, closet racist, beefs with artists who are not lyrically talented (pop-tart stars and singers) and likes men's ? in his face during award shows.

I'm not a fan, but great lyricist and beef with Canibus, Cage, and Ja Rule. It said be objective.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont get this whole technical thing. For it to be dope lyricism, you have to be saying something. Once we got to the point of something being said, now we can debate how its said, and thats where the technical aspect comes in.

Em since the Eminem show hasnt been saying ? . Idc if every word in the verse rhymed, if you not saying nothing, it dont mean nothing to me.

At one point Em was really good, and that cant be forgotten. Cant just act like his first 3 albums didnt happen. But even then, he was good for like what? 7-8 years?

Was em very good at one point? Yes. Does that put him top 10 of all time? Nah not at all.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He doesn't have definite classic so no.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Def top 10. His first 4 albums were dope not including the 8 mile soundtrack which was also dope.

All his features on your fav artist's songs he arguably outbarred (jay, wayne, 50, etc). Respected by some of the best lyricists (royce, budden, lupe).

He also had women, boy bands and lgbtq community panties in a bunch (no pun) they wanted to censor tf outta him yet he sold how many plat records again?

Judging his "rap talent" by his racist tapes does not compute. Mfs love(d) r kelly, michael jackson regardless of their personal life. Those are 2 separate things.

Rap wise hes highly respected by your top 5. This post just my opinion tho obviously.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent lyricist at best, garbage catalog, closet racist, beefs with artists who are not lyrically talented (pop-tart stars and singers) and likes men's ? in his face during award shows.

I'm not a fan, but great lyricist and beef with Canibus, Cage, and Ja Rule. It said be objective.

Canibus beef was off most people's radar (underground bickering), I don't know Cage so I don't give a ? , and as far as Ja was concerned, it wasn't that hard to send shots with Interscope and 50 assisting him and HE STILL copped a plea on that track Toy Soldiers.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is one of the best rhymers we've seen, so he satisfies that category.

His first 4 albums are solid with 1 of them being classic. But with each subsequent release, his catalog suffers more and more.

Ultimately there's a difference between impact and influence. He's had a huge impact which is great for him but when you speak of influence, there is only a small handful of artists that have major success that are influenced by him.

So no, I can't objectively put him top 10 DOA.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Gave u another feelings for reacting off reactions :joy:
  • dwade206
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

Aight Mr Bojangles.
  • Ronin705
    Ronin705 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Options
    - Never suffered the "sophomore slump", and actually is one of the artists in hip hop where the first 3 albums can destroy most catalogs'
    - Had an era (the Shady/Aftermath)
    - Won his battles , as stated earlier ("Nail In The Coffin" is a classic)
    - his fall off isn't as bad as others.. he's just a rhyme generator at this point, not inherently wack
  • Stew
    Options

Aight Mr Bojangles.

"? he gave me a feelings for my excuse ridden post, I better say something powerful!" :joy: big ol ?
  • dwade206
    Options

Aight Mr Bojangles.

"? he gave me a feelings for my excuse ridden post, I better say something powerful!" :joy: big ol ?

...yeah, that ? didn't even make any sense. Now get to tapping.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ultimately there's a difference between impact and influence. He's had a huge impact which is great for him but when you speak of influence, there is only a small handful of artists that have major success that are influenced by him.

LUPE FIASCO: “CANIBUS & EMINEM ARE ONLY TWO RAPPERS TO EVER MAKE ME CONSIDER QUITTING RAP.”

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/11/rappers-talk-about-their-favorite-eminem-song-album-and-moment/chance-the-rapper <---chance, meek mill, prodigy, ty dolla, action bronson, funk flex weigh in on Em

Listen to chance 10 day mixtape u hear Em in a lot of those flows

Kendrick On being inspired by Eminem:
    The clarity, I got my clarity just studying Eminem when I was a kid. How I got in the studio was all just curiosity. I had a love for the music, but it was curiosity. The day I heard The Marshall Mathers LP, I was just like, How does that work? What is he doing? How is he putting his words together like that? What's the track under that? An ad-lib? What is that? And then, Why don't you go in the studio and see? So I do that. Then it became, How's his words cutting through the beat like that? What is he doing that I'm not doing, now that I'm into it? His time is impeccable. When he wants to fall off the beat, it's impeccable. These are things that, through experience and time, I had to learn.

J. Cole Says His Early Music Was Him “Literally Just Sounding Like Eminem & Nas” https://www.google.com/amp/djbooth.net/mobile/feature-amp/2016-06-07-j-cole-eminem-nas

https://youtu.be/5OIcQcnVj-U
  • Stew
    Options

Aight Mr Bojangles.

It don't cause the truth hurts ;)
  • dwade206
    Options

Aight Mr Bojangles.

It don't cause the truth hurts ;)

...Stockholm syndrome
  • Stew
    Options
    Got him right where I want him :joy: oh no not another insult!
  • dwade206
    Options
    Got him right where I want him :joy: oh no not another insult!

Aww ? , here comes the haymaker!!! ? , shut yo ass up
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 10 - NO

Objectively, I think his first three albums on Aftermath were good (Thank Dr. Dre for this). The second one "The Marshall Mathers LP" was a classic. But if Dre didn't see the vision we probably would have never heard of Eminem or he wouldn't be as big as he is now.