Nas..... no
    Kanye west....no
    Scarface......no
    BIG....no
    Common....no
    Jay Z ....no
    Ice Cube.... no
    LL Cool J..... no

U know what, I'm not gonna give my beef with the Kanye and Biggie spots cause you're a respectable poster who doesn't go on insult rages lol and I'm sure knows his stuff but I'm willing to bet most don't own or even know half the music posted from these artist lol I know this for a fact.

I just think it's very hard to ? the top 10 in Rap music based off discography, hell it's hard to ? the top 20 when you start adding in duos and groups.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Objectively Eminem is NOT Top 10 DOA
    LYRICALLY?...NO QUESTION
    OVERALL, HE'S TOP 25-ISH...
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Objectively Eminem is Top 10 DOA
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Does Eminem have a better discography than
    Ghostface...no
    2pac.... no
    Nas..... no
    Kanye west....no
    Scarface......no
    BIG....no
    Common....no
    Jay Z ....no
    Ice Cube.... no
    LL Cool J..... no

U know what, I'm not gonna give my beef with the Kanye and Biggie spots cause you're a respectable poster who doesn't go on insult rages lol and I'm sure knows his stuff but I'm willing to bet most don't own or even know half the music posted from these artist lol I know this for a fact.

I just think it's very hard to ? the top 10 in Rap music based off discography, hell it's hard to ? the top 20 when you start adding in duos and groups.

And I wouldn't argue against anybody who feels that way who knows their ? , that's a respectable opinion, no 5 ? , even the most knowledgeable cats out there are gonna have the same opinion lol u gonna argue against Killer Mike cause he has 3000 in his top 10? ? no :joy: but some of these ? tho, they can get it lol
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not in my Top 10 but based on criteria in OP (impact & skill) he gets a yes vote from me
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Go figure wrote: »
    ? still love to give it up even when the person mentioned disrespects y'all

What does this have to do with rap skill?

I already explained that on the first page, short school bus riding ass ? . Never once have I heard a brother say, "Damn, last night in the whip, I had to take it back to the Eminem Show to get my mind right." Or, "When that Real Slim Shady joint came on, the club went crazy." ? outta here.

Oh...i stopped reading at "decent lyricist at best" foh

Name some of your top lyricists

Well if you stopped reading, the ? you wanna about my top lyricists?

"Cant back up my argument" post

Whos your best lyricists....10 better than Em. stop talking like ur somebodys gf
  • Go figure
    Options
    Ghostface...no
    2pac.... no
    Nas..... no
    Kanye west....no
    Scarface......no
    BIG....no
    Common....no
    Jay Z ....no
    Ice Cube.... no
    LL Cool J..... no

Cmon bruh....BIG discography really?
    BIG has 2 classic albums ......does Eminem even have 2 classic albums no

What u judge classics by?

Cuz ill give him marshall mathers lp and eminem show

Classic = timeless music

I can dig that cuz i know ppl that dont care much for BIGs catalog but can acknowledge his impact, skill level and influence and will still put him top 5 OBJECTIVELY.

just dont think the same is happening for Em in this thread.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skills wise, yes. I would say he alot closer to ten than top 5 bc of alot of wack songs in his catalog.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude got prolly over 8 albums and I only like prolly 3 of his songs....
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still laughing over the awards show ? lol

What was he thinking?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 10 impact.

Top 10 storyteller.

Top 10 flow.

Top 10 Technically....

Low teens, early 20s discography.

He had 3 good albums to start with. A few bad ones. I thought relapse could have been really dope, but he messed it up with his voice inflections or whatever he was trying to do.

First white boy to break through commercially, had the greatest year an artist could possibly have in 2002. He has a lot of dope, dope verses that don't involve ? like his mom, or fantasizing as being a serial killer, has many unforgivable songs and verses(I'm looking at you "? ").

All that aside, If you put Em in a booth with a beat, and tell him to just go in... He's in the conversation. Period.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    I'm still laughing over the awards show ? lol

What was he thinking?

U forgetting he's white? I gotta few white friends/associates who think corny ? like that is funny everyday. :s
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can relate to Em something is wrong with you lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was everybody supposed to say yes because TS said "objective"?
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He can rap no doubt and wash majority of rappers if he tries but hes been but putting out mediocre-trash music for awhile now and his flow is wack these days too.

His music didnt age well and his discography is weak which is something I take in consideration when Im thinking about top 10 but Id put him right on the outside of my personal list
  • Go figure
    Options
    Was everybody supposed to say yes because TS said "objective"?

Naw just not be purposefully subjective
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rapping fast and rhyming every other word isn't impressive to me. If you look beyond all that you see he isn't saying anything. He wasn't always that way.

His flow used to be so cold. Now it sounds like he raps a cappella and adds the beat afterwards. That whisper ? he does to gradually get louder at the end of a bar is horrible. It's almost like he forgot how to flow or he doesn't hear himself to know he's damn near off beat.

After TES all his albums have been trash. I can tolerate a few songs here and there but that's where it stops. It's a lot of work to get through an entire Eminem album. I don't think anyone has fell off as bad as Em.

I also don't know where these bars are that all his fans claim he has. I don't think I've ever seen anybody quote an Em line. Don't get me wrong, Em can or could rap his ass off but he lost that imo in exchange for trying to be technical.

I heard "? " the other day, thanks to that thread, and that ? is easily one of the worst songs ever created. Nobody in my top 10 would make something that bad.
  • KingLuciano
    KingLuciano Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He isn't in my top 10, but Marshall has had a great career and being objective he's there.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Out of what 5 or so lp's dude still doesn't have a lp that i have in rotation.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The subject has been beaten to death... But imo his first 3 Aftermath albums and the 8Mile OST were classics, but anything after that I found wack, especially when he started rapping with that stupid voice... 'Infinite', was dope too...

But now I find he just raps/shouts in triple time, off beat spitting I guess you could say clever words but in horrible rhyme patterns... But cant front them first 3 albums were crazy dope...

If Im just going off the music/objectively the first 3 Aftermath albums gets him into my Top10 though...
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »
    I'm dropping a novel here because of this "biased" nonsense. You've been warned.

Eminem doesn't ? my top 100. I don't rank rappers beyond that, and I don't care about commercial success. So he doesn't get in my top anything. Am I biased? I don't think so. I think he's wack. Full stop.

Yes, like any sane listener I thought Marshall Mathers was a good album at the time, and I liked quite a few songs off The Slim Shady LP. He had a lot of credibility back in the early 00s. I admit that. I thought he had a pretty good flow. He knew how to ride the beat and I thought his horrocore stuff was funny for a while.

But he's been ? way longer than he's been a good rapper. The Eminem Show doesn't age well. His flow isn't completely shot on that album, but the songs aren't very good. Didn't care much for the production and the content doesn't interest me. By the time of Encore, he'd already lost me completely content wise and flow had started its irrevocable decline.

That was in 2004. So his last good album was in 2000, his last listenable album was in 2002. So he's been garbage for 15+ years. Since then, he lost his flow completely from 2004-2010, when he started rapping in those weird accents and out of the pocket, and was talking about the most irrelevant, worthless ? imaginable. He finally kicked the accents and improved his voice slightly, but the content is still gone.

Since around 2010-2011, you can tell he's become really insecure about how he's perceived by the rap community, fearing he's lost his respect from when he fell off with those accents, and he's even referenced this fact in several songs. So he tried to over-correct for it by taking on this new lyrical miracle rappity rap style of over the top, exhausting multisyllabic rhyming about random ? that he continues to sprinkle with dashes of domestic violence. These days he's all about cramming as many words into a bar as possible and barely staying on beat. This is why anytime you see him in a cypher anymore he arrogantly tells DJs to turn off the beat, as if he's about shock the world with his amazing lyricism, but it comes across as very forced and awkward. He's clearly desperate for credibility, but he's got absolutely nothing to say and is just super exhausting.

Back in his rich period ('99-'00), he would take his time with the beat. He'd have a few internal rhymes, but was confident enough in what he was saying he could slow down, carefully select his words by limiting his vocabulary, and would focus mostly on rhyming on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th beat like a traditional 90s MC. He had nice breath control and could keep time, and had this edgy punk rock "? you" attitude that was refreshing at the time. But again, that was '99-'00, and as I said, means he's been garbage for over 15 years. Think about that. 15+ years of unlistenable, trash music. That's unprecedented. I can't in good conscience put a rapper with that track record in my top anything.

I acknowledge that the first two albums are good, so I don't think I'm being "biased" by saying a rapper who has been pumping out irrelevant, ? music for 15+ years is wack.

This.

I knew he was trash when he debut with "slim shady". Like word what self-respecting Hip Hopper was rocking that trash.

As far as his flow is concerned. G Rap, Monch, Thought, and Pun do it way better with far more listenable content.

Dude has and always will be wildly overrated.

• Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I'm being objective Em has one classic and 2 good albums, the rest of his catalog is trash. 2pac, Nas, Jay Z, Biggie, Scarface, Ice Cube, 3000, Mos Def, Black Thought, Lupe all >>>Em. You could make an argument than Em is a better technical rapper than Face, Cube, or Pac but their discography ? on Em's so bad it's not even close.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Ghostface...no
    2pac.... no
    Nas..... no
    Kanye west....no
    Scarface......no
    BIG....no
    Common....no
    Jay Z ....no
    Ice Cube.... no
    LL Cool J..... no

That's not entirely true....he is better than ghost,big,kanye.......like I said from the start...hes better than rappers who other ppl have in their top 10

Em better then Kanye? Definetly.

Em better than ghost and big? ? no.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    How is Em not top 10 even alive ?

You ? can't be this hateful of dude.... You can't name 10 artists still alive who've had a bigger impact than him.

Impact.. really.. his impact was he engaged white fans just by his presence. who dont even like rap thats his impact. dont get me wrong he is a talented dude but content wise.. and it not fault that that was his IMPACT but.. more substance less splash.. impact with out substance is PR