4:44 Album - *JAY-Z* (06/30/17).

Options

Comments

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this album. But I've seen some people on social media defending the album against the "Where's the club bangers? I need some slappers! I don't get it." people.

I'm not surprised a lot of people were putting down TPAB (a classic masterpiece) and Untitled for the same reason.

And let's play devil advocate - Is this album filled with boring "Soul/Jazz Beats" too? (I have no problem with laid-back production with soul). Is Jay-Z getting a pass on this for being a legend in the game and being on a level Kendrick and Cole have not reached yet?

You're pushing a narrative nobody said. Alot of people didn't put down TPAB.

I'm not pushing anything, just talking about what I read on this board and other social media outlets. TPAB is a great classic album, but a bunch of people (not everyone) was ? on it because of its style and not having a lot of radio/club friendly songs like Damn (another great album).

But overall, I'm glad a mainstream artist like Jay-Z released a project like this.

I think more ppl ? on it becuz it didn't appeal to have much replay value not saying it wasn't a great album but it just wasn't a album you could just put on repeat or at least that's the narrative I got.... That's not the case with this album you could play this back over and over with or without a club banger becuz it has a lot of replay value to it
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Luke's tweet was a shot at Rick Ross and Khaled :joy:
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    I'm enjoying this album. But I've seen some people on social media defending the album against the "Where's the club bangers? I need some slappers! I don't get it." people.

I'm not surprised a lot of people were putting down TPAB (a classic masterpiece) and Untitled for the same reason.

And let's play devil advocate - Is this album filled with boring "Soul/Jazz Beats" too? (I have no problem with laid-back production with soul). Is Jay-Z getting a pass on this for being a legend in the game and being on a level Kendrick and Cole have not reached yet?

I'm not pushing anything, just talking about what I read on this board and other social media outlets. TPAB is a great classic album, but a bunch of people (not everyone) was ? on it because of its style and not having a lot of radio/club friendly songs like Damn (another great album).

But overall, I'm glad a mainstream artist like Jay-Z released a project like this.

This!!! ? for real tryna act like that ? wasn't happening across the board.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    moonlight-poster-lg.jpg

Hes stuck in LaLa Land...
    kim-cant-keep-up-with-the-kardashians.jpg
    MV5BMzUzNDM2NzM2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM3NTg4OTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Am i reachin?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Way more people said TPAB is a great album than not which is why it's silly to focus on the small portion of people who don't like the album. Not everyone will love an album...but it's not a bunch of people who hate TPAB
  • blackrain
    Options

This!!! ? for real tryna act like that ? wasn't happening across the board.

Because it wasn't...? take a handful of opinions and then turn it into "A bunch of people said..."
  • blackrain
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

I think more ppl ? on it becuz it didn't appeal to have much replay value not saying it wasn't a great album but it just wasn't a album you could just put on repeat or at least that's the narrative I got.... That's not the case with this album you could play this back over and over with or without a club banger becuz it has a lot of replay value to it

The bold is where most of these opinions they're talking about lie. Not that the album isn't good, but that it's not an album that you can just put on randomly because of how heavy most of the songs are.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

The bold is where most of these opinions they're talking about lie. Not that the album isn't good, but that it's not an album that you can just put on randomly because of how heavy most of the songs are.

I think with TPAB the message outweighed the music itself where with 4:44 the music and message go hand in hand so it plays better..... If that makes sense
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im hot cuh..

i have sprint..
    went and downloaded Tidal and they aint lettin me play it..

? YALL!!!

Fam call sprint and tell them your tidal trial isn't working they will send you a link
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    A couple listens in. Album is dope. Chill beats from No ID suit this version of Jay Z well. I've seen a few complaints about the laid back flow on this album but I like it. He's lyrically sharp as ever on this and the flow is on point.

That "a million dollars worth of game for $9.99" line sums up a lot of this album. ? is dropping jewels all over this. Hov in his own way just dropped a conscious rap album. I guess he's got enough money that he can finally rhyme like Commin Sense or be lyrically Talib Kweli now. (Not that he hasn't been dropping jewels for years). "Conscious" rappers noticed.

lizflouda971.png

ad3ve0ysdy27.png

My favorite song might be Bam just because I ? with reggae and Damian Marley heavy so rapping over that type of beat does it for me every time.
    Damian Marley >>>
    Stony Hill 7/21
    damianmarley-stonyhill.jpg

2nd favorite song is Story of OJ.
    Other favorites are Smile, Moonlight (hilarious making the hook "La La Land" but the title Moonlight btw), Marcy Me and Caught Their Eyes. Whole album is solid. The title song 4:44 to Beyoncé will probably become the only skip. Good for them or whatever but I don't love that beat or his flow on that.

Cosign that this is the best "retired" Jay Z album. Not sure if I'm on board with AOTY talk. I think Joeys album will remain my favorite of the year. Tbh it's very close this year. Kendrick, Joey and Jay Z all neck in neck. All fire and none of them definitely blows the rest outta the water. Joeys is too ill though.

Nas and Jay Z are showing how hip hop can age gracefully

What's sad is it takes some of the "conscious" rappers giving praise to Jay-Z for ? to give props. Ol mr. me too ass ? .

You talkin about me? Notice I said "Not that he hasn't been dropping jewels for years"?

I been a Jay Z fan
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    murdap wrote: »
    Nas been put y'all on game about Jay z hoe ways but y'all thought it was a game. Look at all the people close to Jay coming up in the game all them dissed Jay

Beans Kanye Dame Dash R. Kelly he just used them to get a head and after he ain't Need them no more he threw them away like they was trash.

2 sides to a story, maybe jay knew something we didn't about these ? . Seems to me all these dudes had personal character or financial struggles after or around the time jay cut the rope.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

I think with TPAB the message outweighed the music itself where with 4:44 the music and message go hand in hand so it plays better..... If that makes sense

It doesn't. Tha ? !?
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A couple listens in. Album is dope. Chill beats from No ID suit this version of Jay Z well. I've seen a few complaints about the laid back flow on this album but I like it. He's lyrically sharp as ever on this and the flow is on point.

That "a million dollars worth of game for $9.99" line sums up a lot of this album. ? is dropping jewels all over this. Hov in his own way just dropped a conscious rap album. I guess he's got enough money that he can finally rhyme like Commin Sense or be lyrically Talib Kweli now. (Not that he hasn't been dropping jewels for years). "Conscious" rappers noticed.

lizflouda971.png

ad3ve0ysdy27.png

My favorite song might be Bam just because I ? with reggae and Damian Marley heavy so rapping over that type of beat does it for me every time.
    Damian Marley >>>
    Stony Hill 7/21

Other favorites are Smile, Moonlight (hilarious making the hook "La La Land" but the title Moonlight btw), Marcy Me and Caught Their Eyes. Whole album is solid. The title song 4:44 to Beyoncé will probably become the only skip. Good for them or whatever but I don't love that beat or his flow on that.

Cosign that this is the best "retired" Jay Z album. Not sure if I'm on board with AOTY talk. I think Joeys album will remain my favorite of the year. Tbh it's very close this year. Kendrick, Joey and Jay Z all neck in neck. All fire and none of them definitely blows the rest outta the water. Joeys is too ill though.

What's sad is it takes some of the "conscious" rappers giving praise to Jay-Z for ? to give props. Ol mr. me too ass ? .

You talkin about me? Notice I said "Not that he hasn't been dropping jewels for years"?

I been a Jay Z fan

Not at all my dude just speaking in general. Not directed at you.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    moonlight-poster-lg.jpg

Hes stuck in LaLa Land...
    kim-cant-keep-up-with-the-kardashians.jpg
    MV5BMzUzNDM2NzM2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM3NTg4OTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Am i reachin?

You been reaching with these shots all throughout this thread

Hey damnit, my reach was on some positive ? lol
  • BobOblah
    Options

lizflouda971.png

ad3ve0ysdy27.png

Damian Marley >>>
    Stony Hill 7/21

I been a Jay Z fan

Not at all my dude just speaking in general. Not directed at you.

Oh ok lol wasn't sure
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Hov the greatest of all time.

He ain't even the greatest from My

Top 10 Ny rappers of all time

10 Dmx
    9 Big Daddy Kane
    8 Prodigy
    7 Ghostface\ Raekwon
    6 Styles P
    5 Rakim
    4 Camron
    3 Jadakiss

2 Biggie
    1 Nas

looooooooooooool

Camron and Jada bar for bar be spiting ? . Nobody on this list is considered weak by no one even big daddy Kane got bars for days.

It is your list, you can have an opinion my ? . But you can't be a fan of the culture and honestly believe all them ? got a better catalog than Jay. Specially kiss
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nas been put y'all on game about Jay z hoe ways but y'all thought it was a game. Look at all the people close to Jay coming up in the game all them dissed Jay

Beans Kanye Dame Dash R. Kelly he just used them to get a head and after he ain't Need them no more he threw them away like they was trash.

2 sides to a story, maybe jay knew something we didn't about these ? . Seems to me all these dudes had personal character or financial struggles after or around the time jay cut the rope.

Also how many of these ? came back on some i ? up and jay never did me ? ? He cut the rope on irresponsible ? and moved on. He wanted to take ? with him to roc nation but def jam was like nah son.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It doesn't. Tha ? !?

The album wasn't that dope but the message was while this album is that dope and has the message too.

Only my interpretation tho'
  • GetoBoy
    Options

It doesn't. Tha ? !?

When ppl talk about 4:44 they talk about the message the beats just how it sounds sonically TPAB ppl just more so concentrate on the message not how it comes out as a overall song.... That's why one has replay value to most and the other doesn't to sum ppl
  • BobOblah
    Options
    I don't know what 4:44 means
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I don't know what 4:44 means

Surprised it took this long for it to be said lol I don't either.