Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this album. But I've seen some people on social media defending the album against the "Where's the club bangers? I need some slappers! I don't get it." people.

I'm not surprised a lot of people were putting down TPAB (a classic masterpiece) and Untitled for the same reason.

And let's play devil advocate - Is this album filled with boring "Soul/Jazz Beats" too? (I have no problem with laid-back production with soul). Is Jay-Z getting a pass on this for being a legend in the game and being on a level Kendrick and Cole have not reached yet?

You're pushing a narrative nobody said. Alot of people didn't put down TPAB.

I'm not pushing anything, just talking about what I read on this board and other social media outlets. TPAB is a great classic album, but a bunch of people (not everyone) was ? on it because of its style and not having a lot of radio/club friendly songs like Damn (another great album).

But overall, I'm glad a mainstream artist like Jay-Z released a project like this.

I think more ppl ? on it becuz it didn't appeal to have much replay value not saying it wasn't a great album but it just wasn't a album you could just put on repeat or at least that's the narrative I got.... That's not the case with this album you could play this back over and over with or without a club banger becuz it has a lot of replay value to it

The bold is where most of these opinions they're talking about lie. Not that the album isn't good, but that it's not an album that you can just put on randomly because of how heavy most of the songs are.

I think with TPAB the message outweighed the music itself where with 4:44 the music and message go hand in hand so it plays better..... If that makes sense

I get what you're saying...and yeah I think that's what me and some others mean when we say it's just a heavy ass album. People try and sound smarter by talking down on the fact that even with a message, you should also be able to enjoy what you're listening to. As if having a message in your songs somehow takes away from that. With TPAB the message is there, the actual music is dope too...but the message is so heavy that it's not an album you put on to just sit back and enjoy it.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My girl didnt even know the album was coming out. I told her it was called "444"

Right away she said thats jay z & beyonces anniversary

4/4/04
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    slickwatts wrote: »
    old but i gotta post it cause this chick lit

Is she a nurse? Lol
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is she a nurse? Lol

Probably an aid.
  • blue_london
    Options

I respect it! She sound like she go to sleep in Timbs though

Hilarious
  • blue_london
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Another reason Moonlight maybe directed at Kanye. Jay usesbthe same flow Kanye use on Highlights off TLOP

Doing that "huh" ? at the end of the bars

Never listened to life of Pablo. Is it any good?

Great production. All of Ye's raps are terrible.

@KnowReasonForPeace

Lol the bleach line really hurts my feelings
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Another reason Moonlight maybe directed at Kanye. Jay usesbthe same flow Kanye use on Highlights off TLOP

Doing that "huh" ? at the end of the bars

Never listened to life of Pablo. Is it any good?

Great production. All of Ye's raps are terrible.

@KnowReasonForPeace

Lol the bleach line really hurts my feelings

He could have fixed that whole bar with "backdoor"
  • slickwatts
    slickwatts Members Posts: 299 ✭✭
    Options
    yuk praises hov but aint really feeling no id tho
    https://youtu.be/EJq884iHcKc
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bleached ? bar outrage was overblown

He was obviously being funny

Yall took it too serious
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After listening to the album all weekend I'm gonna have to put this album right below Blueprint and Reasonable doubt. Might be the best produced album I heard since MBDTF. Yea...

Every song on this album is good and has a purpose. BAM might be the hardest hittin jay song since PSA.

? Jay-Z - jay poetically checking himself (and kanye). Another great jay album intro. This beat clearly Let's you know what you about to get production wise.

Life of OJ- double entendre...jay checking Orenthal's uncle tom ways, as well as his own past mistakes as old jay. ('Drumroll'..Dumbo). Song almost made me feel bad bout bootlegging this ? until I realized only paying $9.99 wasn't an option

Smile- the i still got it track "Y'all thought I was washed" might be one of my least favorite. Beat still fire though.

Caught your eye- perfect plan and execution. Is like jay made a song inspired by the "dead presidents" "through my peripheral i see you schemin" line. That hook and intro is amazingly perfect. Right now my favorite song on the album. Jay back to checking ? on this one, even 'LL caught a hot one. Jay a petty ? lol. Remind me of how nba players said Jordan would get inspired by anything to annihilate his competition.

4:44- jay at his most vulnerable since maybe "Lucky me" or "song cry". Beat slaps. Is hard for a rapper to not get drowned out by everything going on in this beat (Wayne was able to do it on 6'7"..sorry for the comparison) is not an easy task. But the topic itself keeps jay afloat. Quotables for days. Dude really made an apology track to Beyonce and "made it a hot song". The superhero analogy at the end was brilliant.

Family feud- interesting song placement and title considering what the previous track was about. Dude basically telling new rappers and old rappers to stop destroying each other and build the house of hip hop together. Beyonce vocals were dope...another fire ass beat ( no id went nuts on this ? )

Bam- love it, already discussed this, see above. (? all that pretty shawn Carter ? is HOV, another PSA from jay).

Moonlight- fugee sample that nas rapped over recently.. ironically enough, jay's album is the one actually done (Kanye shrug). Jay back to checking ? , the current rap generation catch a couple hot one here, (skirrrt). The song title goes with the black empowerment theme of the album.

Marcy me- Spoiler alert..this instrumental will get embedded in your membrane. Jay's flow is reminiscent of December 4th on this one, fits the beat perfect. The shout out to the legends/influences is well placed. Low key GEM. Will grow on you the more you hear it. Trust.

Legacy- great outro. Basically brings what the whole album is about together. Family, growth, black owned businesses and passing down generational wealth, I repeat "generational wealth, which is why jay don't call them few stacks ? is putting on their ear on Instagram "money".

Final thoughts- No It, you a genius!! Sorry kanye.

*No ID, you a genius ? !
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really enjoy Ye's performance artistry, I used to really respect his raps (whether he wrote them or not) and beatmaking, but I no longer hold him in high regard.

He is by any metric beyond the pale (entendre) now.

• Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    I don't know what 4:44 means

I dont know what TPAB means. Im trying not to think that hard on here, and maybe i should know. But i hate when people refer to albums like that. (still thinking... I got nothing)
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

Surprised it took this long for it to be said lol I don't either.

He woke up at 4:44 am and made that song, then made it the title track.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

I dont know what TPAB means. Im trying not to think that hard on here, and maybe i should know. But i hate when people refer to albums like that. (still thinking... I got nothing)

To ? A ?
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Generational wealth, thats is the Key.
    My parents didn't have ? ,
    so that shift started with me.

Right on brother..my mom didn't have much money, however she brought me to America and put me in a position to succeed if I chose to.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm enjoying this album. But I've seen some people on social media defending the album against the "Where's the club bangers? I need some slappers! I don't get it." people.

I'm not surprised a lot of people were putting down TPAB (a classic masterpiece) and Untitled for the same reason.

And let's play devil advocate - Is this album filled with boring "Soul/Jazz Beats" too? (I have no problem with laid-back production with soul). Is Jay-Z getting a pass on this for being a legend in the game and being on a level Kendrick and Cole have not reached yet?

I'm not pushing anything, just talking about what I read on this board and other social media outlets. TPAB is a great classic album, but a bunch of people (not everyone) was ? on it because of its style and not having a lot of radio/club friendly songs like Damn (another great album).

But overall, I'm glad a mainstream artist like Jay-Z released a project like this.

I think more ppl ? on it becuz it didn't appeal to have much replay value not saying it wasn't a great album but it just wasn't a album you could just put on repeat or at least that's the narrative I got.... That's not the case with this album you could play this back over and over with or without a club banger becuz it has a lot of replay value to it

The bold is where most of these opinions they're talking about lie. Not that the album isn't good, but that it's not an album that you can just put on randomly because of how heavy most of the songs are.

I think with TPAB the message outweighed the music itself where with 4:44 the music and message go hand in hand so it plays better..... If that makes sense

Exactly how I feel about TPAB. I love what Kendrick went for on the album but it's just not a good album to me. I only ? with like 4 or 5 songs.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It doesn't. Tha ? !?

When ppl talk about 4:44 they talk about the message the beats just how it sounds sonically TPAB ppl just more so concentrate on the message not how it comes out as a overall song.... That's why one has replay value to most and the other doesn't to sum ppl

Shut your ? ass up
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was supposed to be a haiku,
    but my story's to wide to hide inside a line or two.