Rapper Ranking Project: Rapper #4 - Nas

Options

Comments

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I seen this coming..... Everybody in the other threads who rated a rapper high was called a stan but come in here and ? handing out perfect scores and the stan or overrating words ain't been used one time yet smh

Anybody who made "Nas the GOAT, all 5s" posts has gotten ignored in here just like they did in every other topic. People aren't even debating whether or not he should get all 5s. They are providing actual arguments for why he should get his score raised in certain categories. The same thing happened in every other topic. Every other artist had their scores raised as a result of the debate. So I'm not doing anything different. And I have accused people of voting on bias in here. So stop with the woe is me, you're not being fair ? .

If you think he's being overrated, make an argument for why a score should be lowered. If you're just here to whine about the way the topics is being done, join @Soloman_The_Wise in kicking rocks.

Naw I'm just watching the inconsistencies I'ma let you cook..... I was called a stan and overrating for giving Jay 40 but ? giving Nas 40+ and since you agree it's coo my problem from jump but I'ma sit back and watch
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I seen this coming..... Everybody in the other threads who rated a rapper high was called a stan but come in here and ? handing out perfect scores and the stan or overrating words ain't been used one time yet smh

Anybody who made "Nas the GOAT, all 5s" posts has gotten ignored in here just like they did in every other topic. People aren't even debating whether or not he should get all 5s. They are providing actual arguments for why he should get his score raised in certain categories. The same thing happened in every other topic. Every other artist had their scores raised as a result of the debate. So I'm not doing anything different. And I have accused people of voting on bias in here. So stop with the woe is me, you're not being fair ? .

If you think he's being overrated, make an argument for why a score should be lowered. If you're just here to whine about the way the topics is being done, join @Soloman_The_Wise in kicking rocks.

Naw I'm just watching the inconsistencies I'ma let you cook..... I was called a stan and overrating for giving Jay 40 but ? giving Nas 40+ and since you agree it's coo my problem from jump but I'ma sit back and watch

You were called a stan because you are a stan not because of your score, and because some of your arguments were bad. However, when I got past my personal bias against you, I admitted wrong and acknowledged that some of your arguments were good and raised the scores specifically because of things you said. So stop whining and claiming unfairness.

I don't even really pay attention to the scores given. The only thing I pay attention to is the arguments given for why baseline scores should be changed. The only scores I ever say are stanning or fanboying are the all 5s scores and I feel the same way about people in this thread that are doing that. So basically if you believe the Nas score is too high, make your argument, otherwise let it go. This is the fourth topic and you still carrying a grudge from the first one like a scorned female or something.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

You were called a stan because you are a stan not because of your score, and because some of your arguments were bad. However, when I got past my personal bias against you, I admitted wrong and acknowledged that some of your arguments were good and raised the scores specifically because of things you said. So stop whining and claiming unfairness.

I don't even really pay attention to the scores given. The only thing I pay attention to is the arguments given for why baseline scores should be changed. The only scores I ever say are stanning or fanboying are the all 5s scores and I feel the same way about people in this thread that are doing that. So basically if you believe the Nas score is too high, make your argument, otherwise let it go. This is the fourth topic and you still carrying a grudge from the first one like a scorned female or something.

Call it what you want I call it calling out your ? it's just you keep repeating your ? so I repeat calling you on it
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could ever possibly call Geto Boy a stan. What would make anybody think that??
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    R2_163 wrote: »
    id agree with op except one

Language: should be 4.5-4.75 at most

NAS is amazing at everything else, but I think he should be penalized for not being that strong when it comes to wordplay , multis,double entendres and punchlines. Alot of hip hop fans don't value these things but some do. And there's alot of rappers on the goat list who does these things better than him. Personally, I like him enough to give him a 5 but I understand if people don't.

also for those giving nas a five in impact...come on my g. what do you guys give Jay Kanye and tupac? 10's?

Nas should be at most 4 on impact

Nas' wordplay is pretty good, not the best. He's pushed up to a 5 because he's good across the board. Metaphors, complex rhyme schemes, word selection and overall vocabulary, etc... Do you disagree that Nas is one over the most well rounded ever when it comes to these things?

I would agree. I'm just creating dialogue. I just think it's questionable to say he's good at everything when I can't think of one entendre from him. Not one. And he's light on punches too

There's plenty of guys where j had to rewind a line and say "WTF did he just say??" Not so much with him. I'm more awed by his overall song concepts imagery and metaphors.
    It hard to explain, but if there was a cypher between him black thought, mos def, Jay elec, kdot and Jay z who would ? it the most??
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gave Nas a 5 in all categories because I think he's the best MC Hip Hop has ever seen. And he has the catalog to prove it. You can make full length CDs of his unreleased material that would ? on 9 out of 10 rappers retail albums.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

Call it what you want I call it calling out your ? it's just you keep repeating your ? so I repeat calling you on it

lol You keep calling out the ? that I already admitted to and recanted. Basically, you're still whining about old ? . Either get off the rag or get out of the topic ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I gave Nas a 5 in all categories because I think he's the best MC Hip Hop has ever seen. And he has the catalog to prove it. You can make full length CDs of his unreleased material that would ? on 9 out of 10 rappers retail albums.

There is some fanboying in statements like that, man. lol You feel how you feel and that's cool, same for everyone else who posts. To say that Nas's throwaway tracks are better than 90% of the retail items from good rappers is hyperbole man. I got no problem with you saying it, but just recognize it's no different than them cats in the Pac topic saying he was one of the greatest rap storytellers ever.
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    Geto Boy crying them camel tears right now
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So how is he a stan if he's makin' valid points?
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »

? you spend more time worried about me then my ? .... You low-key my fan ain't you suppose to be coming to Sac to see me??? Don't address me till you do that ? ? lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

How are the two mutually exclusive? Some of the people in here are clearly Nas stans, but they are making valid points too. Being a stan in regards to a topic like this just means you're extremely biased. It doesn't mean the case you make to support your bias is wrong. Anyway, with him I called him a stan moreso for some of his comments in the Jay-Z album topics than than the rating thread. Like I said, I wrongly prejudged his comments based on my perception of those other threads, and that was wrong.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

That's exactly why I'm calling the ? out
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options

That's exactly why I'm calling the ? out

But I already said the points you made were valid and adjusted the score because of it. So you're not calling anything out. You're just being a ? at this point. What the ? you want me to do? Go back in time and stop my past self from dismissing your argument? Man up ? . Accept that people make mistakes and move on.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

There is some fanboying in statements like that, man. lol You feel how you feel and that's cool, same for everyone else who posts. To say that Nas's throwaway tracks are better than 90% of the retail items from good rappers is hyperbole man. I got no problem with you saying it, but just recognize it's no different than them cats in the Pac topic saying he was one of the greatest rap storytellers ever.

Yeah but I posted a double discs worth of unreleased songs and collaborations to back up my argument, so its not like Pac stans saying he's a 5 storyteller without posting said stories.

Here's a playlist of 145 unreleased Nas songs. I haven't listened to it, but I'm sure you could pick 12-15 songs that would make a 5 mic album.

How many rappers have 145 unreleased songs?

Edit. Well the playlist didn't come up the way I wanted it, but just go to youtube and type "unreleased Nas songs" there's a 145 song playlist.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited August 2017
    Options

How are the two mutually exclusive? Some of the people in here are clearly Nas stans, but they are making valid points too. Being a stan in regards to a topic like this just means you're extremely biased. It doesn't mean the case you make to support your bias is wrong. Anyway, with him I called him a stan moreso for some of his comments in the Jay-Z album topics than than the rating thread. Like I said, I wrongly prejudged his comments based on my perception of those other threads, and that was wrong.

Sorry about the soccer analogy but I don't kno' American sports well enough to make one that works.

I support Man Utd. They're the biggest and most successful English team of the past 25 years. Utd have the most fans in the world but most football fans obviously support other teams, so there are more non Utd fans than there are Utd fans, so you could likely be the only Utd man in a football discussion. In such cases, a valid and objective opinion can be viewed as biased because everyone has a bias against Utd.

I feel like this is the case for Jay and Getoboy on the IC
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lyrics - 5 He's the best lyricist in the history of Hip Hop. Melle Mel and Rakim came first but Nas took the baton and ran with it. Nas has way more material than Melle Mel and Rakim.

Delivery - 5 if I could give him a 6 I would. His flow on If I Ruled The World let everybody know there's a new sheriff in town.

Language - 5 His use of slang and ordinary words was unique when Illmatic dropped

Storytelling - 5 His third verse in One Love had everybody saying he was the illest MC when Illmatic came out.

Catalog - 5 Dude's been around for 25+ years. There aren't too many rappers that have a catalog that can match Nas's. Even Lost Tapes was a bunch of throwaway songs that didn't make his albums and he released those. Lost Tapes is better than most rappers albums.

Subject Matter - 5 He's covered just about every topic. Illmatic was unique because he balanced so-called positive rap with gangsta rap. That was unique at the time, back in 94 you were either a gangsta rapper or a positive rapper. There weren't too many people that fit into both categories

Creativity - 5 "When I was 12 I went to hell for snuffing Jesus". Eric B and Rakim had a song called Let The Rhythm Hit Em Where Rakim was rapping in 16ths. In other words he was putting 16 syllables into every bar when every other MC was putting 4 or 8 syllables into every bar. It wasn't speed rap, he was rapping on time with the beat but there was no space to put any extra syllables. Eric B and Rakim had that one song but Nas made a career out of rapping like that.

Also Nas has a lot of songs with unique subject matter, even Ether was different in the way he approached the battle.

Collaboration - 5 He's worked with just about everybody. You could make a CD-R/Greatest hits album of all songs that Nas was featured on and it would be better than most rapper's albums.

Impact - 5 Everybody seems to agree that the MT Rushmore of Hip Hop is 2Pac, Jay, Nas and Biggie.

Overall Score - 45 A Perfect Score

You guys might say I'm a stan or I'm caping for Nas but I had Illmatic when it first dropped. A lot of people heard It Was Written before they heard Illmatic. But I heard Illmatic and played it for two years before It Was Written came out. Nas was on a different level than the rest of New York. The only people that were in Nas's league in 94 was Wu Tang. Even Big wasn't quite there until he came with One More Chance/Stay With Me, but that came out in the summer of 95, a full year after Illmatic
    What this ? said
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Sorry about the soccer analogy but I don't kno' American sports well enough to make one that works.

I support Man Utd. They're the biggest and most successful English team of the past 25 years. Utd have the most fans in the world but most football fans obviously support other teams, so there are more non Utd fans than there are Utd fans, so you could likely be the only Utd man in a football discussion. In such cases, a valid and objective opinion can be viewed as biased because everyone has a bias against Utd.

I'm not really sure what your analogy has to do with the question you asked before. You asked how he was a stan if he's making valid points. Again, I didn't label him a stan because of the points he made or the score he gave in his ratings topic. I labelled him a stan because of the group circle ? he and the other stands were having in the other Jay-Z topics. ? was in there saying that 4:44 was a classic off the first listen. How does that work when longevity is typically part of the criteria for being a classic? Clearly that's a fanboyish remark. And he in others in the topic were making a bunch of statements like that, and acting like anyone who didn't agree was a hater.
  • buttuh_b
    Options

? you spend more time worried about me then my ? .... You low-key my fan ain't you suppose to be coming to Sac to see me??? Don't address me till you do that ? ? lol

I live in Philly.. why would I go to boring ass Sac just to see you fool? You already lied before and said you lived in the Bay.. Last two times I was out there you were no where to be found and even when I did come to Sac I didn't know you lived there till Mozzy was in your neighborhood making you look stupid. You gets no respect in Sacramento. But we could meet halfway in Stockton if you want to have grown man hands put on you when I come out there later this year.. It's on you, Camel Jockey.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I live in Philly.. why would I go to boring ass Sac just to see you fool? You already lied before and said you lived in the Bay.. Last two times I was out there you were no where to be found and even when I did come to Sac I didn't know you lived there till Mozzy was in your neighborhood making you look stupid. You gets no respect in Sacramento. But we could meet halfway in Stockton if you want to have grown man hands put on you when I come out there later this year.. It's on you, Camel Jockey.

I'll go back and give Jay a 6 in Impact if this ? gets his asswhooped beefing over his feelings getting hurt while he was dickriding Jay online.
  • buttuh_b
    Options

I'll go back and give Jay a 6 in Impact if this ? gets his asswhooped beefing over his feelings getting hurt while he was dickriding Jay online.

LMAO he willing to get dropped on his helmet for Jay-Hova.. that's dedication
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options

I'm not really sure what your analogy has to do with the question you asked before. You asked how he was a stan if he's making valid points. Again, I didn't label him a stan because of the points he made or the score he gave in his ratings topic. I labelled him a stan because of the group circle ? he and the other stands were having in the other Jay-Z topics. ? was in there saying that 4:44 was a classic off the first listen. How does that work when longevity is typically part of the criteria for being a classic? Clearly that's a fanboyish remark. And he in others in the topic were making a bunch of statements like that, and acting like anyone who didn't agree was a hater.

Its to do with what you responded to my question, not with the question I asked.

Had a long paragraph typed out but this a Nas thread
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2017
    Options

? do you know how dumb that whole thing sounded??? You live in Philly but wanna meet halfway in Stockton??? Wtf is halfway about that..... You said you ain't coming to Sac to see me but you said you came to Sac but didn't see me then you talking about you thought I was from the bay but if that's the case why you ain't call me out then when you was out here?? ? yo ? ass all over the place that's how I know you full of ? you ain't bout none of that ? you talking and if you are address me when you here but you from Philly so it's all starting to make sense now
  • buttuh_b
    Options

? do you know how dumb that whole thing sounded??? You live in Philly but wanna meet halfway in Stockton??? Wtf is halfway about that..... You said you ain't coming to Sac to see me but you said you came to Sac but didn't see me then you talking about you thought I was from the bay but if that's the case why you ain't call me out then when you was out here?? ? yo ? ass all over the place that's how I know you full of ? you ain't bout none of that ? you talking and if you are address me when you here but you from Philly so it's all starting to make sense now

I'm not from Philly ? boy I live in Philly.

I said next time I'm in Oakland we can meet halfway in Stockton. Last 2 times in 2014 and 2016 I informed you I was in the bay area and you were acting real tough behind that keyboard. In 2016 when I was in the Bay for a week I drove out to Sacramento and stayed the night with some of my people not knowing you lived there at the time because you always claimed all this Town Biz rah rah ? . Hahahaha like a typical Jigga Warrior trying to act oblivious when you already know the truth. Go head spin it how you want.. you don't really want the fade.. You not the first Northern Cali IC poster to pop ? and apologize.. I met up with a certain poster from Richmond in 2012 and it was all smiles and handshakes.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Its to do with what you responded to my question, not with the question I asked.

Had a long paragraph typed out but this a Nas thread

Well, to put it plainly. I don't have a bias against Jay. I do have a bias against his fanboys or fanboys in general, and that's where his beef with me comes from. At the end of the day though, I didn't let my issue with him as a fanboy prevent me from taking his argument into account and acting accordingly.