i cant give no rapper a perfect score
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas arguably has the greatest catalog in hip hop
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alright, I'm going to call this. Not enough people voted when asked in an earlier post, so I just made the adjustments I said I'd make. That brings his score to 42.

I actually went back through the topics and averaged the scores given just cause I'm curious to see how they match up. I threw out scores with no explanations. Those were mostly all 5s, but there were a couple trollishly low scores too. Here are the final averages:

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

The hilarious thing is that the people that insisted that averaging was the way I should do it were Jay and Pac dickriders. Well Jay's score went up, but so did Biggie's and the Nas score is the same, so he's still behind them. And Pac actually fell about a point while everyone else went up. So what excuse do you dudes have now? I'm carrying both sets of scores through the topics now.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i cant give no rapper a perfect score

No rapper deserves it. They're all flawed.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alright, I'm going to call this. Not enough people voted when asked in an earlier post, so I just made the adjustments I said I'd make. That brings his score to 42.

I actually went back through the topics and averaged the scores given just cause I'm curious to see how they match up. I threw out scores with no explanations. Those were mostly all 5s, but there were a couple trollishly low scores too. Here are the final averages:

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

The hilarious thing is that the people that insisted that averaging was the way I should do it were Jay and Pac dickriders. Well Jay's score went up, but so did Biggie's and the Nas score is the same, so he's still behind them. And Pac actually fell about a point while everyone else went up. So what excuse do you dudes have now? I'm carrying both sets of scores through the topics now.

I don't mind this my point was never to make anybody score be higher or lower just have a neutral score that included everybody..... I mean it's the IC we all know who gonna have the top score so this is fine with me *shrugs*
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

I don't mind this my point was never to make anybody score be higher or lower just have a neutral score that included everybody..... I mean it's the IC we all know who gonna have the top score so this is fine with me *shrugs*

If that's what you want, then you got it. Going forward I'll keep track of my adjusted baseline and the average of the submitted scores. Only Pac dropped. I'm a little surprised by that to be honest since his fans fought the hardest.

Next Rapper - Eminem
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

You can't throw away scores because you don't agree with them. Imagine if politics worked like that. Two candidates running for an election and the person in charge of counting the votes threw out votes that they disagreed with.

Count all the votes or stop this foolishness.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Came In This Thread Thinking I Was Gonna Catch Feelings....Y'all Did My Boy Right Nh
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

You can't throw away scores because you don't agree with them. Imagine if politics worked like that. Two candidates running for an election and the person in charge of counting the votes threw out votes that they disagreed with.

Yeah I can. I've said before that the only scores that have any meaning are the ones with explanations. If someone comes in here and says "So and so is the GOAT, all 5s." I'm not counting it. If they do like you did and give all fives but actually explain, then I counted it. It's not about whether I agree with the scores or not. I didn't agree with most of them. It's about whether the person attempted to go by the rules of the categories or just blindly gave the max score to boost their favorite rapper.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perfect... Get the ? outta here. Is beat selection a category?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas' impact ain't no 5 either b. FOH.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Nas' impact ain't no 5 either b. FOH.

Jay stans be mad hahahaha.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »
    Illmatic alone should give him a 5 in impact.

Fam I told this dude to let the people add votes in and ? came at crazy SMMFH. He said Tupac was an average rapper all around and gave the ? 3 in storytelling, impact and subject matter SMMFH. Lonious made this thread just to argue with ? maaaannn.

I was gonna make this thread today too.

And the only reason NaS got rated so highly is because of IC bias, he not tryna ? off 2 crowds. Creativity and collaboration shouldn't be so high.

I disagree, everyone can have their own opinion ofcourse but the fact is the majority of hip hop heads will always rate Nas higher than any other rapper. Now in 2017, Nas' hayday is behind him and the kids arent listening to him and Hip Hop is a young mans sport, but if you were to ask people across generations who study hip hop Nas will always be rated higher than his peers. On average ofcourse.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fam I told this dude to let the people add votes in and ? came at crazy SMMFH. He said Tupac was an average rapper all around and gave the ? 3 in storytelling, impact and subject matter SMMFH. Lonious made this thread just to argue with ? maaaannn.

And the only reason NaS got rated so highly is because of IC bias, he not tryna ? off 2 crowds. Creativity and collaboration shouldn't be so high.

You do realize this is the man who made I gave you power, rewind, book of rhymes, and roach right?
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas the GOAT. Thanks to this thread I went back and re-visited Streets Disciples. A lot of gems on that record that I overlooked.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You do realize this is the man who made I gave you power, rewind, book of rhymes, and roach right?

Belly button window...
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

Yeah I can. I've said before that the only scores that have any meaning are the ones with explanations. If someone comes in here and says "So and so is the GOAT, all 5s." I'm not counting it. If they do like you did and give all fives but actually explain, then I counted it. It's not about whether I agree with the scores or not. I didn't agree with most of them. It's about whether the person attempted to go by the rules of the categories or just blindly gave the max score to boost their favorite rapper.

You didn't say that in your O/P.

I gave Biggie all 5s. If you said that I have to give explanations I would have, but you didn't say that do I didn't.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

I gave Biggie all 5s. If you said that I have to give explanations I would have, but you didn't say that do I didn't.

I know I didn't say it in the OP. I wasn't averaging anything at first remember. I didn't even want people to give their own scores. I was providing a baseline score, and I wanted people to provide arguments in order to get that score closer to something everyone agreed with. That's still the ultimate goal of these threads. I just calculated those averages because people have been asking for them and because I was curious. I left out the unexplained all 5 scores because they aren't really in line with the spirit of the thread at all.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

I know I didn't say it in the OP. I wasn't averaging anything at first remember. I didn't even want people to give their own scores. I was providing a baseline score, and I wanted people to provide arguments in order to get that score closer to something everyone agreed with. That's still the ultimate goal of these threads. I just calculated those averages because people have been asking for them and because I was curious. I left out the unexplained all 5 scores because they aren't really in line with the spirit of the thread at all.

You should start over and make the rules clear;

1. You must provide at least one sentence explaining each score
    2. No one person's vote is more important than another person
    3. Just because the O/P doesn't agree with a score he/she can't discount that score and/or vote

I made a thread several years ago that I thought was a good way to rank rappers/MCs but I didn't follow through with it and I can't find it in the search engine. Here was the idea:

List your top 3 MCs

1. First MC gets 10 points
    2. Second MC gets 5 points
    3. Third MC gets 3 points

Then list 10 honorable mentions that get one point each

_________1 point
    _________1 point
    _________1 point
    etc.

after everybody votes somebody adds up the scores.

The reasoning behind the scoring system was that if a MC is somebody's favorite he deserves 10 points. If an MC is listed #1 by several voters his score will be head and shoulders above MCs that got honorable mentions. If 20-30 people participated we could get an idea of who the best MCs are and the order in which the IC rates them.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

You should start over and make the rules clear;

1. You must provide at least one sentence explaining each score
    3. Just because the O/P doesn't agree with a score he/she can't discount that score and/or vote

I made a thread several years ago that I thought was a good way to rank rappers/MCs but I didn't follow through with it and I can't find it in the search engine. Here was the idea:

List your top 3 MCs

1. First MC gets 10 points
    2. Second MC gets 5 points
    3. Third MC gets 3 points

Then list 10 honorable mentions that get one point each

_________1 point
    _________1 point
    _________1 point
    etc.

after everybody votes somebody adds up the scores.

The reasoning behind the scoring system was that if a MC is somebody's favorite he deserves 10 points. If an MC is listed #1 by several voters his score will be head and shoulders above MCs that got honorable mentions. If 20-30 people participated we could get an idea of who the best MCs are and the order in which the IC rates them.

Bruh....it's over...
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

This alone pulls out objectivity because 90% of this board has no idea how to be objective. They regularly let ? that has nothing to do with the music affect their opinions.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

This alone pulls out objectivity because 90% of this board has no idea how to be objective. They regularly let ? that has nothing to do with the music affect their opinions.

Exactly. People just can't seem to accept that for these threads I purposely made it so that objectivity was more important than equal representation. We get plenty of popularity contest threads on here. That's not what I wanted to do.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

If that's what you want, then you got it. Going forward I'll keep track of my adjusted baseline and the average of the submitted scores. Only Pac dropped. I'm a little surprised by that to be honest since his fans fought the hardest.

Next Rapper - Eminem

tenor.gif

We do not need that thread again.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

Exactly. People just can't seem to accept that for these threads I purposely made it so that objectivity was more important than equal representation. We get plenty of popularity contest threads on here. That's not what I wanted to do.

Yeah, but when I said for impact Nas should get a 5 for Illmatic and all the mc that are inspired by him. Both friends and foes, you started talking about impact in other ? . Is it about the music or not?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

You can't do that.

Yeah, but when I said for impact Nas should get a 5 for Illmatic and all the mc that are inspired by him. Both friends and foes, you started talking about impact in other ? . Is it about the music or not?

I pointed out that one album couldn't get you a 5 and gave you everything else considered for the Impact score. All were music and HipHop related. Plus I said several times that I would up the Impact score and asked for input on the proposed score. At this point y'all just complaining to complain.