The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DC Animation announced today that its next animation will be "Gotham by gaslight" the elseworlds batman story
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a great one. Batman vs Jack the Ripper. Hope they do it justice.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Haven't read it myself, but the artwork looks awesome
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Matt Reeves Promises He's Making The Batman His Way

When it comes to Batman, fans are notoriously protective of the dark knight. Bruce Wayne may be capable of taking care of himself, but DC diehards tend to go to bat for the Gotham icon to keep him far away from Hollywood flubs. So, naturally, fans are stoked to hear Matt Reeves is also standing up for Batman as he begins work on the hero’s first DCEU standalone.

The director sat down to chat with Uproxx about his upcoming film War for the Planet of The Apes. It was there Reeves touched upon The Batman, and the director said he clearly laid out his expectations for the hero to Warner Bros. once he was contacted about the gig.

“When I come in, what I say is, “Look. First of all, you’re asking me if I’m interested in this franchise. I am. I love this franchise. I’ve loved it since I was a kid. But here’s the way in which I’m interested in it. And if you’re not interested in it in that way, then that’s totally fine.” And the good news was, they said, “Yeah, we’re really interested in that way.””

“I remember this on Dawn, too. There would be moments where I came in for a pitch that was a certain version of the movie, and somewhere along the way, because they didn’t know me or whatever it was, they’d say, “Why don’t we do this?” And I would just simply say, “But that’s not the movie that we talked about. That’s not the movie I want to do.” And I have to say that they always backed down when it came down to that,” Reeves continued.

“It’s kind of the way that I’ve always done it. And here’s the thing: I’m always happy not to do something. I’m usually looking for the reason to say no.”

When it comes to The Batman, it does not look like Reeves is willing to shunt his vision for the studio’s sake. Fans of the DCEU will remember all the reports which suggested Warner Bros. toyed with theatrical cuts for Suicide Squad and even Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Wonder Woman avoided such pandering thanks to director Patty Jenkins and her steadfast vision, and it sounds like Reeves plans to do the same as his predecessor. And, for that, DC diehards are feeling rather grateful.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/12/matt-reeves-making-the-batman-his-way-/
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Justice league trailer showing stepphan wolf in 2 daya
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Reports are saying Matt Reeves will NOT be using the screenplay written by Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck. They will be working on a new screenplay from scratch.

Hopefully Johns and Affleck still participate in the writing though.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I wonder if they still have plans for Joe to be Deathstroke. I hope they do, dude would be perfect as Slade imo.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    DC really has a chance to shine after a lot of the original mcu characters are no longer in the spotlight
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    DC really has a chance to shine after a lot of the original mcu characters are no longer in the spotlight

MCU made Guardians of the Galaxy popular so i dont think they need thier top tier heroes to keep shining..
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cant count them out theres plenty of marvel heroes to come
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Less studio meddling is good. Reeves sounds like he knows what he wants an honestly these comic flicks need filmmakers with confidence and a vision. Plug and play makes for wack generic films.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Justice League Star Describes Movie Version of The Flash

Ezra Miller has been among the highlights of recent Justice League footage and already had a solid grasp on his character upon receiving the part.

Speaking to EW, Miller described his take on Barry Allen in a nutshell, saying “He’s this really endearing, altruistic nerd. He’s the 13-year-old Metallica fan, and Metallica says, ‘We lost our drummer in a freak accident. We need you to play drums, bro!’ I don’t even have drumsticks!”

In addition to a love of Metallica, Allen also has a soft spot for the speed force. More specifically, finding out how it works and what it can affect. In a previous interview, Miller described what Allen sees in the speed force and why it fascinates him so much.

"Martha Graham, one of my biggest inspirations, said in a quote, 'There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening.' To me, the idea of a quickening, the idea that the whole universe as we know it is essentially this composition of things moving at different speeds is an interesting idea. So the Speed Force being the force in the sense that it's a dimensional reality that is manipulating others, almost like a gravitational wave will manipulate others. That is what's interesting for my Barry Allen."

Flash will appear next in Justice League, which currently has a 4.17 out of 5 on ComicBook.com's anticipation rankings. The full synopsis can be found below.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/13/justice-league-the-flash-ezra-miller/
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    The Batman: How Will Matt Reeves' New Script Affect The DCEU?

The DC Extended Universe Batman solo film (tentatively known as The Batman), has been through a pretty turbulent year, with star Ben Affleck dropping out of the director's chair, amidst rumors of development troubles with Warner Bros.

War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is stepping in to helm The Batman, and he has made it abundantly clear in recent days that he will be making his version of a Batman movie, and that his vision will be a totally fresh take from what Affleck and DC Films head Geoff Johns had conceived with their initial version of The Batman script.

However, many elements of The Batman were already put in place before Reeves came along, including some new characters that would be introduced, and some connections to the larger DC Extended Universe that Johns and Affleck had envisioned. So, the question now is: How Will Matt Reeves New Batman Script Affect The DCEU?

Ben Affleck

the-batman-matt-reeves-ben-affleck-1009742.jpg

With all the turmoil surrounding The Batman earlier this year, rumors began to swirl that star Ben Affleck was becoming frustrated with his role in the DCEU.

It was said that Affleck was tired of everything from creative struggles with Warner Bros. to the never ending flood of questions, rumors, and speculation surrounding his Batman role and directorial choices. When Affleck dropped out of the director's chair, even more rumor began to swirl: was this simply the first step to Affleck eventually dropping out of the Batman role altogether?

Of course, rumors are just that: rumors. Affleck always maintained that he's still playing Batman, and Reeves recently confirmed the same, saying: "Right now, that’s what is going on. For sure."

Deathstroke

deathstroke-the-terminator-dceu-198311.jpg

One of the most anticipated elements of The Batman's storyline was seeing The Dark Knight take on a rumored lineup of villains from his rogues gallery - especially the new addition of True Blood star Joe Manganiello, as Slade Wilson/Deathstroke.

However, with this new 'start from scratch' approach Matt Reeves is taking, it's become very unclear whether Joe Manganiello's Deathstroke is still a part of The Batman's story. Back in the spring, the actor actually went on record to express his uncertainty about where things stand, saying, "Umm. Maybe. We’ll see,” when asked if he'd still be in The Batman. He has since joined Dwayne Johnson's Rampage movie, leading many to believe he's moving on from his hopes of joining the DCEU.

Deathstroke has long been a fan-favorite anti-hero/villain of the DC Universe, and he gained a lot of prominence and exposure in recent years, thanks to things like DC Comics reboots, and DC TV universe series like Arrow. Manganiello was also one bit of DCEU casting that fans were overwhelmingly happy about, so losing him would be a major letdown.

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    Tone

the-batman-movie-fan-header-ben-affleck-1000888.jpg

One reason that many fans were excited to see Ben Affleck taking charge both in front of and behind the camera was because the actor/writer/director had carved out a lane for himself as both a critically acclaimed and financially successful director, who specialized in telling gritty crime thriller stories (The Town, Argo), which featured some pulse-pounding action.

Since Reeves has come onboard, fans have been wondering how the War for the Planet of the Apes director would approach The Batman from a tonal standpoint. Reeves himself has steadily affirming his planned approach to the film in press interviews, stating that he sees The Batman as a potential Noir detective story, which keeps things focused on the perspective of the main character. As he said in a recent interview:

“What I see in Batman that I find so interesting is that, in a way, he reminds me of Caesar, in that he is a character with a really troubled past who is grappling within himself to try to do the right thing in a really imperfect world, in a corrupt world,” Reeves said. “That provides an opportunity, again, if you want to take that point-of-view storytelling — and I can imagine the story as being like a noir. The originals from the golden age were detective stories. I think if you can marry that with the personal, there’s a chance to do something very exciting.”

Reeves has also made reference to influences like Alfred Hitchcock shaping his vision of The Batman; all in all, his take has been generally well-regarded by fans, who remember that the director's experience on films like Let Me In and the latter two chapters of the current Apes trilogy have all been darkly lavish and visually stunning character studies that would work well in a Batman context.

DCEU Connections

justice-league-blur-effect-229823.jpg

One big question that must be asked at this point is this: with his desire to do a more personalized and character-focused Batman story, just how deeply is Reeves willing to connect The Batman to the larger DCEU universe?

Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck were deeply woven into the fabric of the DCEU, as Johns has been heading up development of the cinematic universe from the start - and much more actively after the difficulties of Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad - while Affleck is on the ground level of it, as an actor as well as an architect.

Reeves is coming from an outside position, and its unclear what the push-pull will be with Warner Bros. and DC Films regarding the obligation to include characters and potential setups that benefit the DCEU as a whole. Fans are hoping The Batman doesn't end up too isolated (like Nolan's films), or too weighed down with awkward and extraneous DCEU obligations (like Batman V Superman). There are definitely ways to balance larger connections with a more self-contained and focused storyline - see Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming for a great example.

More Villains

dceu-villains-alex-ross-201759.jpg

As stated, it was originally rumored that The Batman script that Affleck and Johns came up with would feature multiple iconic villains, including Deathstroke, The Joker, and The Scarecrow. With Reeves now starting from scratch, no one knows what villain - or villains he may have in mind for the film.

Actor Josh Gad has been steadily teasing that he could be playing the DCEU version of The Penguin - so is there any truth to that? According to Reeves: "No, no, no."

Even Gad himself has admitted that, "...there’s no there there. The Internet just goes wild. I’m just having some fun putting things out there.”

No matter which villains Reeves includes in his script - or who plays them - there are plenty of Batman storylines that keep things personal and focused on the Caped Crusader, while still including a nice colorful lineup of villains. "Hush" is one such storyline that hits all the marks being laid out by Reeves, in that it is, at once, a detective Noir story; a very personal story focused on both the Batman and Bruce Wayne sides of the cowl; and features an extensive lineup of Batman villains, DC Comics superheroes - as well as a compelling new villain (Hush) who is personally connected to Bruce Wayne.

Whether Reeves is interested in a "Hush" adaptation or not, the point remains the same: we can get great Batman movie with multiple villains, without sacrificing quality.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/13/batman-reboot-matt-reeves-ben-affleck-dceu/#6
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    I would never have thought Wonderwoman would be the highest grossing movie of the summer but it sure looks like its bout to take the crown.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WW sequel rumored to be officially announced at SDCC this weekend.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Isn't a 3rd JL trailer also premiering at Comic Con?
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't a 3rd JL trailer also premiering at Comic Con?

Well more like the second official one that original footage that was released was supposed to just be early footage. They decided to release it because of the positive buzz it got despite it only been filming for a few weeks.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Chris McKay Reveals What He's Looking For In A Nightwing Actor

Just ahead of the whirlwind of news that’s sure to come out of this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, Nightwing director Adam McKay is starting to talk about what he wants his Nightwing movie to be.

The director of The LEGO Batman Movie is set to contribute to the DC Comics movie universe with his take on the Caped Crusader’s first protégé, and let loose some revealing thoughts about the process on Twitter.

He also revealed what he wants from his Nightwing actor and the grueling process that will be demanded of him.

McKay is obviously committed to the story and the character and demands the same from whoever is cast in the role.

And based on his plans for the production, it seems like whoever is cast in the role will have a rough time. McKay wants the actor to be able to commit to a certain amount of stuntwork, while honing their gymnastics and martial arts skills.

Nightwing is shaping up to be an awesome movie with a director who really understands and cares about the source material. We hope that whoever is cast can match McKay’s level of commitment. Will we learn more about the movie at this weekend’s San Diego Comic-Con? We’ll find out at the Warner Bros. panel on Saturday morning.

The next movie up on the WB’s DC Comics docket is Justice League, due in theaters on November 17.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/17/nightwing-director-adam-mckay-casting-actor/
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ugh there were more tweets but i dont want to go through editing those in, can see full article in the link.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Safe to say to expect offical release dates and possibly the casting of roles this weekend.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Man, I can't wait for this weekend at comicon. You know dc will at the very least have a new trailer the world will get to see.

Hoping they release a confirmed schedule for films as well.

Tbh I don't think DC is going to do a marvel type build up with phases. Probably just have the solo characters doing their own thing each film but when it's time for a justice league film they will have a big bad appear out of nowhere
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I prefer that then the build ups . It will keep both franchises fresh