Options

Comments

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes

i have stated as much multiple times

all i can do personally is call ppl out when appropriate

but regardless of the extremest and opportunist do or say, the fact remains our society is a patriarchy ....white male patriarchy specifically

male privilege on it's own does not imply guilt or complicity, it's simply a fact, a thing that exists. a thing that benefits men, especially white men, in US culture and day to day existence

a thing that will continue to exist to the misfortune of women and or blk ppl, unless we address it

complicity arises out of refusing to acknowledge that it exists, or actively or passively acting to perpetuate that imbalance...

unless you want to believe that there is no such thing as male privilege...and by extension white male privilege

if that is the case i'd have to ask why do white males control our economy and our government, and dominate our culture in virtually every corner? are we to assume it's a natural development, due to ....white male supremacy?????

That's fair.

Yes, I do believe there is a such thing as male privilege, but I don't believe black males benefit from it anywhere near as black feminists claim. I mean, when we talk about white privilege, we can pull up stats and show how whites are above blacks in most areas even when there is no real reason they should be. It's the opposite when you look at black man vs black woman, so how are we privileged? Because Cornell West gets more attention than some black woman professor you think is just as smart? That's weak, and doesn't even apply to the average black man on the street.

im not comparing black males privilege to white male privilege

and no, a person's blackness doesn't totally cancel out the privilege of being born a man in america

it starts from a young age. just think how boy toys typically encourage children to imagine a far greater range of career possibilities and tend to be more educational...while toys considered “girl’s toys” are often limited to beauty, housework and childcare

adults compliment boys more for their abilities rather than their your looks opposed to girls. you’re not taught from a young age that your value is only as good as your appearance. that continues well into adulthood

ppl are more likely to respect your ? autonomy. women's reproductive rights are always up for debate. and as a man being harassed or sexually assaulted is not a big concern. you can ? , suck and do whatever without being judged and policed to the same degree as a woman

and no having one type of privilege doesn’t mean you’re not oppressed in other ways

like poor white folk, for example. just because they struggle financially due in great part to classism doesn't mean that they don't also benefit from being white

for example, blk men are still more likely to earn money than blk women, despite blk women obtaining more college degrees. blk men are promoted more often than blk women. blk men get higher pay rates than their black female counterparts who are equally skilled

the fastest growing incarceration rate is blk women. yet we tend to make the issue of incarceration solely male, because we haven't thought seriously about whats happening with blk girls

we joke if obama was a few shades darker he wouldn't have won the presidency, but if he were a blk woman you'd think he would have won? no lol

and again one type of privilege doesn’t mean you’re not oppressed in other ways

that said, so this isn't just me playing the oppression olympics. what i'm always argued is our societal expectations of women and men, social conditioning and even our legislative system all work to sustain this construct that places men (specifically white, middle/upper class, straight men) on top....
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    she can feel how ever the ? she wants to feel, it's completely irrelevant to anything. She look like she got a 5 o'clock shadow.. She might be a dude.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and no, a person's blackness doesn't totally cancel out the privilege of being born a man in america

it starts from a young age. just think how boy toys typically encourage children to imagine a far greater range of career possibilities and tend to be more educational...while toys considered “girl’s toys” are often limited to beauty, housework and childcare

adults compliment boys more for their abilities rather than their your looks opposed to girls. you’re not taught from a young age that your value is only as good as your appearance. that continues well into adulthood

ppl are more likely to respect your ? autonomy. women's reproductive rights are always up for debate. and as a man being harassed or sexually assaulted is not a big concern. you can ? , suck and do whatever without being judged and policed to the same degree as a woman

and no having one type of privilege doesn’t mean you’re not oppressed in other ways

like poor white folk, for example. just because they struggle financially due in great part to classism doesn't mean that they don't also benefit from being white

for example, blk men are still more likely to earn money than blk women, despite blk women obtaining more college degrees. blk men are promoted more often than blk women. blk men get higher pay rates than their black female counterparts who are equally skilled

the fastest growing incarceration rate is blk women. yet we tend to make the issue of incarceration solely male, because we haven't thought seriously about whats happening with blk girls

we joke if obama was a few shades darker he wouldn't have won the presidency, but if he were a blk woman you'd think he would have won? no lol

that said, so this isn't just me playing the oppression olympics. what i'm always argued is our societal expectations of women and men, social conditioning and even our legislative system all work to sustain this construct that places men (specifically white, middle/upper class, straight men) on top....

You still drumming out antiquated ? .

There are lots of girl toys nowadays that fit the bill for what you're talking about. And they aren't hard to find. I don't buy my girls beauty oriented ? . They doctors bags, scientist kits, explorer sets, etc... The beauty ? is still there, but to act like that's all that's available for girls is disingenuous. Meanwhile, if you go to the boys section, it's still heavily sports and action figure oriented, so I'd say the amount of substance is about equal for both genders.

I'll give you girls being complimented more for their looks. But girls get told their smart or praised when they are good at other things too.

Yes, poor whites struggle, but the privilege is that their struggle isn't usually as bad as the struggle of poor blacks. You can't say that black females struggle more than black males, so that comparison doesn't hold. Again, if black males have some privilege they are lording over females, then we'd see some quantifiable proof of it, but there is none.

lol Ok, the black female rate is the fastest growing. You'd have to basically multiply your incarceration numbers by a factor of 10 before you were catching up to black males, so black males still should be the poster children of the horrors of the criminal justice system. It's not about ignoring black females, it's about prioritizing based on who is being hurt the most. And men in general have it way worse in this area than any women, even black women.

Abortion is always up for debate because it's not just a women's right issue no matter how much you feminist want to classify it as that. You're talking about another human's life. Ignoring that is frankly disgusting. Even if you believe in abortion, at least have the decency to acknowledge that were not just talking about woman's body. We're talking about the life that she carries inside that body and what is done with it.

You going to have to show me some numbers backing the claim about that pay inequality you're talking about because 1) you chicks are good for misrepresenting wage data and 2) the most recent number I've seen say that black women are earning more than black men now.

I'll give you Obama probably not winning if he was a woman.

Anyway, I acknowledge that on a small scale you probably can find advantages that black men have over black women, but there are also advantages black women have over black women (criminal justice system, family court, university admissions, etc...) So again, it's ridiculous for black women to constantly harp black men exerting some kind of oppressive privilege over them.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

There are lots of girl toys nowadays that fit the bill for what you're talking about. And they aren't hard to find. I don't buy my girls beauty oriented ? . They doctors bags, scientist kits, explorer sets, etc... The beauty ? is still there, but to act like that's all that's available for girls is disingenuous. Meanwhile, if you go to the boys section, it's still heavily sports and action figure oriented, so I'd say the amount of substance is about equal for both genders.

I'll give you girls being complimented more for their looks. But girls get told their smart or praised when they are good at other things too.

Yes, poor whites struggle, but the privilege is that their struggle isn't usually as bad as the struggle of poor blacks. You can't say that black females struggle more than black males, so that comparison doesn't hold. Again, if black males have some privilege they are lording over females, then we'd see some quantifiable proof of it, but there is none.

lol Ok, the black female rate is the fastest growing. You'd have to basically multiply your incarceration numbers by a factor of 10 before you were catching up to black males, so black males still should be the poster children of the horrors of the criminal justice system. It's not about ignoring black females, it's about prioritizing based on who is being hurt the most. And men in general have it way worse in this area than any women, even black women.

Abortion is always up for debate because it's not just a women's right issue no matter how much you feminist want to classify it as that. You're talking about another human's life. Ignoring that is frankly disgusting. Even if you believe in abortion, at least have the decency to acknowledge that were not just talking about woman's body. We're talking about the life that she carries inside that body and what is done with it.

You going to have to show me some numbers backing the claim about that pay inequality you're talking about because 1) you chicks are good for misrepresenting wage data and 2) the most recent number I've seen say that black women are earning more than black men now.

Anyway, I acknowledge that on a small scale you probably can find advantages that black men have over black women, but there are also advantages black women have over black women (criminal justice system, family court, university admissions, etc...) So again, it's ridiculous for black women to constantly harp black men exerting some kind of oppressive privilege over them.

In 2015, average hourly wages for black and Hispanic men were $15 and $14, respectively, compared with $21 for white men. Only the hourly earnings of Asian men ($24) outpaced those of white men.

Among women across all races and ethnicities, hourly earnings lag behind those of white men and men in their own racial or ethnic group. But the hourly earnings of Asian and white women ($18 and $17, respectively) are higher than those of black and Hispanic women ($13 and $12, respectively) – and also higher than those of black and Hispanic men.

While the hourly earnings of white men continue to outpace those of women, all groups of women have made progress in narrowing this wage gap since 1980, reflecting at least in part a significant increase in the education levels and workforce experience of women over time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/01/racial-gender-wage-gaps-persist-in-u-s-despite-some-progress/?amp=1

According to the Economic Policy Institute—a nonpartisan think tank focused on including low- and middle-income workers in economic-policy discussions—black women’s salaries are in the unique intersection of race and gender. Even after controlling for education, location and experience, black women are paid 67 cents for every dollar a non-Hispanic white man is paid.

In 1979, even though there was a large gender pay gap, black women earned roughly the same amount as white women. During the intervening 37 years, progress slowed substantially for black women. In 2016, white women earned 76 percent of what white men earned, while black women’s average earnings were 9 points lower.

http://www.epi.org/blog/black-women-have-to-work-7-months-into-2017-to-be-paid-the-same-as-white-men-in-2016/

Black and Hispanic women not only made less than their male counterparts, they also earned less per hour than Asian women and white women. Asian women and white women also earned more than Black and Hispanic men.

Even after correcting for age, education and occupational differences there is still a smaller but unexplained gap between men and women. The gap is most apparent when comparing the earnings of White men verse Black women.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/8-startling-statistics-that-show-how-the-pay-gap-affects-women-of-color-differently-48351/amp

• Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sound like she seeking attention and validation..
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I swear, the black man is THE most hated person on the planet, which is ? up because we're also the most coveted person on the planet.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

In 2015, average hourly wages for black and Hispanic men were $15 and $14, respectively, compared with $21 for white men. Only the hourly earnings of Asian men ($24) outpaced those of white men.

Among women across all races and ethnicities, hourly earnings lag behind those of white men and men in their own racial or ethnic group. But the hourly earnings of Asian and white women ($18 and $17, respectively) are higher than those of black and Hispanic women ($13 and $12, respectively) – and also higher than those of black and Hispanic men.

While the hourly earnings of white men continue to outpace those of women, all groups of women have made progress in narrowing this wage gap since 1980, reflecting at least in part a significant increase in the education levels and workforce experience of women over time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/01/racial-gender-wage-gaps-persist-in-u-s-despite-some-progress/?amp=1

According to the Economic Policy Institute—a nonpartisan think tank focused on including low- and middle-income workers in economic-policy discussions—black women’s salaries are in the unique intersection of race and gender. Even after controlling for education, location and experience, black women are paid 67 cents for every dollar a non-Hispanic white man is paid.

In 1979, even though there was a large gender pay gap, black women earned roughly the same amount as white women. During the intervening 37 years, progress slowed substantially for black women. In 2016, white women earned 76 percent of what white men earned, while black women’s average earnings were 9 points lower.

http://www.epi.org/blog/black-women-have-to-work-7-months-into-2017-to-be-paid-the-same-as-white-men-in-2016/

Black and Hispanic women not only made less than their male counterparts, they also earned less per hour than Asian women and white women. Asian women and white women also earned more than Black and Hispanic men.

Even after correcting for age, education and occupational differences there is still a smaller but unexplained gap between men and women. The gap is most apparent when comparing the earnings of White men verse Black women.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/8-startling-statistics-that-show-how-the-pay-gap-affects-women-of-color-differently-48351/amp

Almost every one of those studies contrasts black women to white men. A couple of them make off the cuff comments about women being outearned by their counterparts, but they don't really provide the numbers for those cases. The main arguments being made are in relation to white men and white women. Also, that last study really flies in the face of the whole gender privilege argument because it said that white and asian women make more money on average than black and latino men, so again, we don't benefit from a gender privilege as much as ya'll claim. I don't really know how much any of those studies apply to what we're discussing. If anything, they seem to suggest that the race gap is more significant than the gender gap, so those studies seem to be proof that the harping ya'll do about the gender gap is just divisive and fruitless.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

In concerns to the abortion debate, i believe not only in the value of life itself but also in the quality of life

To me it is disgusting to force a child into this world who is unwanted. Then what of the women and girls who have died and will die getting back alley abortions or attempt a home remedy? Because that it the alternative. History has shown us regardless of the law women will find a way

U right though the abortion debate with probably go on forever and not without good reason. For some ppl a life hangs in the balance

I'll only add not every one believes life starts at conception. The medical community nor most religions are in agreement or have a good answer

I was more so referring to the ppl who oppose abortion simply to spite women and or because they feel as though its an insult to male authority. Yes these ppl exist

And we cannot underestimate the social and economic benefits of women’s ability to plan whether and when to have children
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

In concerns to the abortion debate, i believe not only in the value of life itself but also in the quality of life

To me it is disgusting to force a child into this world who is unwanted. Then what of the women and girls who have died and will die getting back alley abortions or attempt a home remedy? Because that it the alternative. History has shown us regardless of the law women will find a way

U right though the abortion debate with probably go on forever and not without good reason. For some ppl a life hangs in the balance

I'll only add not every one believes life starts at conception. The medical community nor most religions are in agreement or have a good answer

I was more so referring to the ppl who oppose abortion simply to spite women and or because they feel as though its an insult to male authority. Yes these ppl exist

And we cannot underestimate the social and economic benefits of women’s ability to plan whether and when to have children

I have no problem with that. I don't like abortion, but I'm not completely against it due to the reasons you mentioned. I just don't like when feminists act like the only reason to oppose abortion is to push some patriarchal agenda.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    edited October 2017
    Options

Almost every one of those studies contrasts black women to white men. A couple of them make off the cuff comments about women being outearned by their counterparts, but they don't really provide the numbers for those cases. The main arguments being made are in relation to white men and white women. Also, that last study really flies in the face of the whole gender privilege argument because it said that white and asian women make more money on average than black and latino men, so again, we don't benefit from a gender privilege as much as ya'll claim. I don't really know how much any of those studies apply to what we're discussing. If anything, they seem to suggest that the race gap is more significant than the gender gap, so those studies seem to be proof that the harping ya'll do about the gender gap is just divisive and fruitless.

We just want blk men to stop perpetuating the sexism and misogyny which helps to keep white men on top because it hurts us all

And let's support each other
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no problem with that. I don't like abortion, but I'm not completely against it due to the reasons you mentioned. I just don't like when feminists act like the only reason to oppose abortion is to push some patriarchal agenda.

lol

You're a glutton for punishment bruh.

Don't know how you do it.

I tried for a long time, but I'm Cutty status with her now:

csjgl5daft78.gif
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brahhhh walls texts
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

yes

but regardless of the extremest and opportunist do or say, the fact remains our society is a patriarchy ....white male patriarchy specifically

male privilege on it's own does not imply guilt or complicity, it's simply a fact, a thing that exists. a thing that benefits men, especially white men, in US culture and day to day existence

a thing that will continue to exist to the misfortune of women and or blk ppl, unless we address it

complicity arises out of refusing to acknowledge that it exists, or actively or passively acting to perpetuate that imbalance...

unless you want to believe that there is no such thing as male privilege...and by extension white male privilege

if that is the case i'd have to ask why do white males control our economy and our government, and dominate our culture in virtually every corner? are we to assume it's a natural development, due to ....white male supremacy?????

That's fair.

Yes, I do believe there is a such thing as male privilege, but I don't believe black males benefit from it anywhere near as black feminists claim. I mean, when we talk about white privilege, we can pull up stats and show how whites are above blacks in most areas even when there is no real reason they should be. It's the opposite when you look at black man vs black woman, so how are we privileged? Because Cornell West gets more attention than some black woman professor you think is just as smart? That's weak, and doesn't even apply to the average black man on the street.

it starts from a young age. just think how boy toys typically encourage children to imagine a far greater range of career possibilities and tend to be more educational ...while toys considered “girl’s toys” are often limited to beauty, housework and childcare

for example, blk men are still more likely to earn money than blk women, despite blk women obtaining more college degrees. blk men are promoted more often than blk women. blk men get higher pay rates than their black female counterparts who are equally skilled ]/b]

There is no such thing as black male privilege. Please provide concrete evidence of how black men en masse, are benefiting from simply being black men. We're killed in these streets everyday and expected to be nothing more than, dope boys, pimps, thugs or athletes.

What kind of toys are you talking about? Boys are marketed action figures, video games and cars. None of that presents this wide range of career possibilities you speak of. You also conveniently neglect to mention how girls are treated as little princesses for the most part resulting in a lot of the selfish spoiled and entitled attitude we men have to deal with today. If anything, the young girls are taught "? ain't ? " and are being given a negative view of black men from early on. Hence this article and the other one.

I see way more sistas in corporate management then black men and my belief is that it's due to one simple thing. The fear of the black man. You think these white folk want to have to listen to a black man? They will tolerate a black woman as she may be more likely to side with white supremacy if it secures her a position of power.
    Also, with all these gender wage gap claims, they never take certain factors into account. For example, my wife and I both work in the same field and I make more than she does (not much though, but more). On the surface that seems unfair. However a deeper explanation is I'm 5 years older than her, and I didn't finish college. Instead I was busting my ass getting my foot in the door. I data entry jobs hell I even took a two weeks "secretary" position because it was computer related. All because I knew early on I wanted to do something with computers. She finished her degree but doesn't have as much job experience as I do. These studies never take things like that into account and a woman even debunked these wage gap myths years ago. Here's a more recent one https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth/#717a2ec02596

Men are pushed to be bread winners so we strive to earn more. Period. Women are simply pushed to follow their dreams at the expense of whomever.

I can't get jiggy with this ?

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes

That's fair.

Does the bold to you mean cause someone has a degree it means they should automatically make more than a person who doesn't have one?
  • D. Morgan
    Options

The differences were black men $15 per hr and black women $13 per hour and you really ? complaining and wonder why some men don't take the ? you and others who think like you seriously.
    giphy.gif

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone needs to stop quoting white stats and step into reality. Both my wife and I work for fortune 100's and it's quite clear Black women dominate the work space. And it doesn't matter one bit to me so, long as Black Men and Women know the opposition. But more importantly that we work collectively to combine our finances to obtain the lifestyle we are both comfortable with.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Someone needs to stop quoting white stats and step into reality. Both my wife and I work for fortune 100's and it's quite clear Black women dominate the work space. And it doesn't matter one bit to me so, long as Black Men and Women know the opposition. But more importantly that we work collectively to combine our finances to obtain the lifestyle we are both comfortable with.

The bold is where I feel one of the biggest divides is between black men and women when it comes to relationships.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

The bold is where I feel one of the biggest divides is between black men and women when it comes to relationships.

why do you feel that way?

while i do agree and understand i would like to know your reasoning.
  • D. Morgan
    edited October 2017
    Options

Long story short I say that because a lot of people are selfish and hypocrites.

You have men who scream they want respect and to be the head of the household but they don't bring nothing to the table to be respected or be the head of the household.

You have women who turn down good men based only on a bunch of superficial ? and scream to the high heavens how there are no good men left and other dumb ? like that.

Its a lot more to be said but that's a basic gist of some of it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Basic reason is because a lot of other important ? factors into than just having a degree.

When it comes to the workplace and business depending on what it is having a degree is so far down the line of importance to me.

i thought we was talking about combining finances
  • D. Morgan
    edited October 2017
    Options

Basic reason is because a lot of other important ? factors into than just having a degree.

When it comes to the workplace and business depending on what it is having a degree is so far down the line of importance to me.

i thought we was talking about combining finances

Yeah I ? that up. My fault!!!

I edited the other post check it out.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    We just want blk men to stop perpetuating the sexism and misogyny which helps to keep white men on top because it hurts us all

And let's support each other

I think most reasonable men would agree with that sentiment. If ya'll just said that instead of trying to find new and inventive ways to ? on us, maybe the reception would be better. Some ? are going to be ? no matter what, but ya'll run off potential allies too.
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @The Lonious Monk @Madame_CJSkywalker

Take that ? to the dms. Y'all ? up the thread with these long ass responses nobody else is reading.

? please, if ya'll don't have the patience to scroll down a little to get past posts you don't want to read. You probably don't have the patience to actually think up something worth reading. That said, I'll spoiler ? in the future to avoid irritating you nonreading ? .

lol But the white stats support what you just said. Numbers don't have color my dude. The interpretation of those numbers on the other hand...
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a reason black women are more common in white collar jobs, they are perceived as less threatening and they wont rock the boat. Females no across all racial and socio-economic backgrounds are security first.

They won't see the white establishment as the enemy, they will see broke ? as their enemy, because even tho they may work with white men and ? white men, white men aren't marrying them which means black women have to choose mainly from the dregs of black men locked out picked over and jockeyed out the game.