Lupe Fiasco=Future G.O.A.T.??

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    define "success" my ? .

Critical aclaim, sales, impact, influence,etc. WHat's the point of making music if no one is hearing it?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Lupe aint better than these ? for a fact

Nas
    Jay
    Pac
    Biggie
    Scarface
    Ice Cube
    Andre 3000
    Rakim
    Kane
    Common
    G Rap
    Redman
    LL
    Slick Rick

I ain't even gonna talk about dudes like OC,Big L,Masta Ace,Ceelo,Snoop,Pun,etc

Lupe ? on LL, Slick Rick, Big L, B.I.G., & etc. C'mon, duke. Don't bring those emcees up.
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Usmarin3, do u think Juvenile is better than Lupe? He made an impact and kinda paved the way for N.O. Rappers?
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    not true. people ARE emotionally embedded in his music, but you've clearly listed the reason that you arent. his music isnt as "selfish" as other rappers. the next album is supposed to be the most personal album so far (see beautiful lasers).

lupe made 2 albums with incredible content THUS far. so imo, his catalog so far is VERY impressive..and he makes excellent music. i'll take that over "im rich, im cool, look at my clothes, i've got money, oh yeah, my homie died, rest in peace to my lost soldiers, my ? bad, my car is CRAZY" ANY day.

and i get it, you may not directly relate to the content of a jay-z, you identify with the "success" he speaks of, which "motivates" you. i get it. in your eyes, thats being personable.

No they are not, they respect his technical skills but ? don't leave feeling like i know this mf personally like say a Pac and it's not about being selfish. Hiphop is about telling your story, that's why i never understood why these lame ass ? get caught up in the whole content ? .

The funny ? is, Lupe raps about money, my clothes, my homies dead, the streets, etc too, just like every other ? but i'm sure you will overlook that. Personable to me is, exposing yourself and life on tracks and not rapping about other ? lives. I feel like part of the reason why we love Pac, Nas, Biggie, Jay is because we know these.

Biggie - grew up in BK, without a pops, single mom, etc

Nas - grew up in QB, pops was playa,etc

Jay - Marcy, pops left, sold drugs,etc

Pac - mom was a fiend, grew up without a pops,etc

Like i said i respect Lupe, ive been playing the ? out that Enemy of the State mixtape, but his music just isn't personable to me. I respect the skills, but i am not emotionally embedded in his music. A new ? could come and replace him and i wouldn't care.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    isayas wrote: »
    Usmarin3, do u think Juvenile is better than Lupe? He made an impact and kinda paved the way for N.O. Rappers?

Lupe is the better technical rapper, but Juvie has a true classic imo and made a bigger impact. That's why i said making good music is not synonymous with being a great rapper. So i would say yes Juvie is a better rapper imo, this same logic can be applied to other rappers like Too Short,Snoop,etc. Lupe is technically better, but impact wise he aint seeing them.
  • psick1234
    psick1234 Members Posts: 187
    edited April 2010
    Options
    numero 35th padre and I am being very generous. Not saying he wack but he won't be remembered 20 years for now.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jay-z says his favorite new rapper is lupe fiasco...so what are we saying? lupe is critically acclaimed by his peers (nas, jay specifically). influence and impact remains to be seen. whos to say the NEXT big rapper in the next 10 years wont say "my favorite rapper was lupe fiasco"?

and plenty of people hear lupe's music. youtube the steppin lasers tour.

Wrong he said Biggie was his favorite and i could give a ? what Jay says, he also said Bleek is next! lmfao Kanye has made more of an impact than Lupe and definetly has made better albums and i still don't put Kanye in my top 10.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @ the bolded, but hes not LIMITED to just rapping about those things, is what i was getting at.

hip hop is about telling your story..but as you can easily see, a lot of ? have the same story, which is why the music ends up sounding the same with the same themes and stories told over and over. but because lupe's approach is different and less about himself and more about the world around him, hes faulted?

Everyones story is unique to them, the problem is rappers started selling a lifestyle instead of what they really live. Do you really believe these ? is seeing Puff or Jay type money to be in the club all day, drive Bentleys,etc. All they are doing is making up ? , but people can see through the fake rappers (ie Rick Ross). You can be unique and still make personable music, the two aren't mutually exclusive, it's been done before (Andre 3000, Kanye, Eminem,etc).
  • Patman8503
    Patman8503 Members Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When you make a GOAT list you gotta start wit lyrics first, then style and content. I don't care if they was a star or not, or if they made money. In that case, Soulja Boy should be on ya'll list. And you don't want that, LOL. I woulda loved to kick it wit 2Pac cause he was full of info but to be honest, i only bought one album and that was All Eyez On Me. If I was to make a Most Influential Rapper list, then Pac would be number one and Biggie wouldn't be on that one.

1) Andre 3000
    2) Nas
    3) Biggie
    4) Lupe Fiasco
    5) Curren$y

Notables: Fabolous, Common, Kanye (the old one), Phonte (Little Brother), Elzhi (Slum Village), Drake? (Maybe)
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jay-z says his favorite new rapper is lupe fiasco...so what are we saying? lupe is critically acclaimed by his peers (nas, jay specifically). influence and impact remains to be seen. whos to say the NEXT big rapper in the next 10 years wont say "my favorite rapper was lupe fiasco"?

and plenty of people hear lupe's music. youtube the steppin lasers tour.

Man half the industry including Lupe is dickriding Drake when he's ? trash imo... co-signs dont mean much anymore.

Lupe is lyrically a dope MC's but I never felt his music and as of right now he not in my top 20-30 of alltime.
  • KingNative
    KingNative Members Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He hasn't done anything YET to be considered a G.O.A.T. .He's released two DECENT albums,that's about it!!!
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    maybe i'm missing something. i like lupe, but dont think he's nearly as nice as people on here are saying he is
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    KingNative wrote: »
    He hasn't done anything YET to be considered a G.O.A.T. .He's released two DECENT albums,that's about it!!!

wooooooooooa............Stop the maddeness
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    maybe i'm missing something. i like lupe, but dont think he's nearly as nice as people on here are saying he is

No offense but I think that's just an excuse people like to use when they just really lack the comprehension to understand what Lupe says. Being unfamiliar with concepts, themes, ideas and the like would be enough to turn anyone away from an artist's music.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    then the question becomes, who is nicer? only people that i think are lyrically "nicer" is eminem, jay-z and nas.

i worded it wrong, i def think he's nice but there are rappers i'd much rather listen to than lupe.

does he have more mixtapes than "enemy of the state" bc im open to listening to more?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i like lupe but one good album and one average album gets him somewhere in my top 30 or 40 i guess he still has time to put in more work and he can flow but he's not where ner my top 10 at the moment
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    No offense but I think that's just an excuse people like to use when they just really lack the comprehension to understand what Lupe says. Being unfamiliar with concepts, themes, ideas and the like would be enough to turn anyone away from an artist's music.

none taken, i comprehend what he's saying and i havent been turned away. i like listening to him
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    peep the Fahrenheit 1/15 series and The Food & Liquor Leak , which pretty much helped spawn the backstory to the concept of The Cool album..

will do

lester burnham= GOAT
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe Is a Legend in the making I believe, But i dont Seem Him having the GOAT status yet..........Yes he may Have a 2 potential Classics under his belt (Yea he Does, if ya dont see that ya ? is trippin), and arguably might be the best out mainstream Wise (Give me a Better Name besides Jay, NaS Ra,) but u have to Wait coup[le of uyrs to see Influcnce...........I Guarantee though, rappers will be saying, he was my favroite rapper back in the Day
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »

yea................? be sayin that Cuz they Dont get what he sayin..........
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Lupe Is a Legend in the making I believe, But i dont Seem Him having the GOAT status yet..........Yes he may Have a 2 potential Classics under his belt (Yea he Does, if ya dont see that ya ? is trippin), and arguably might be the best out mainstream Wise (Give me a Better Name besides Jay, NaS Ra,) but u have to Wait coup[le of uyrs to see Influcnce...........I Guarantee though, rappers will be saying, he was my favroite rapper back in the Day

Kanye > Lupe

Ye will go down as the best rapper of his generation, he has managed to master what Lupe can't or haven't yet. Critical acclaim with mainstream success, without comprimising who he is. Lupe is a modern day GZA imo!
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kanye > Lupe

Ye will go down as the best rapper of his generation, he has managed to master what Lupe can't or haven't yet. Critical acclaim with mainstream success, without comprimising who he is. Lupe is a modern day GZA imo!

ur trippin............We r goin about Content homie, not Sales..........And Wats Worng with that??? GZA is a legend
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    ur trippin............We r goin about Content homie, not Sales..........And Wats Worng with that??? GZA is a legend

legend no doubt but limited when it comes to range
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    legend no doubt but limited when it comes to range

but he is still a legend though............and u still compared Lupe to him.......
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    People are caught up on this mainstream success idea, as if it defines true artistry.

Truth is, being successful on the pop charts has NEVER been a measurement of how GOOD an artist is. It's merely used to by fans of artist who actually do cater to top 40 radio, and is a product of marketing and promotion.