Lupe Fiasco=Future G.O.A.T.??

Options

Comments

• G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i dont, i havent liked any of his songs except the 6 singles and tha turnt up freestyle...
  • brombonze
    brombonze Members Posts: 406
    edited April 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    How can ? say Biggie is the greatest but then say Lupe isn't top 10

WHEN LUPE IS WAYYY BETTER THAN BIGGIE

no disrespect to Lupe's skills, but he is not even in the same conversation as B.I.G! where's the Lupe smash hit to go along with all the skills?
    where's the mass appeal? comparing Lupe to B.I.G. imo is like comparing Rakim to Canibus
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Its hard to put him in any top ten because of all the wackness in hip hop, as soon as someone who is remotely lyrical comes around, he gains a bunch of followers and people put that person on a pedestal. He needs someone else in the mainstream to be compared to, maybe a few people. Thats how you separate the greats
  • brombonze
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's a matter of opinion, and in my opinion NO!
  • brombonze
    edited April 2010
    Options
    is going line 4 line gonna change ur opinion? i'm assuming you'll say no and it isn't gonna change mine either, so going there is pointless
  • brombonze
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "You're basically saying BIG was a great becuase others say it....BIG was average....if he came out today he would not stand out....

Most people who say Biggie was GOAT have not listen to more than 4 songs from duke.

So to answer your question...yes prove to me why you think Big is a great"

1 never said B.I.G. was the GOAT
    2.in my earlier statements i said EXACTLY why i prefer B.I.G. to Lupe
    3. you say B.I.G. was avererage, i disagree, but what makes Lupe so great? his skills are unquestioned imo, so are canibus, chino xl, keith murray, kool keith, elzhi, rhymefest, but just like Lupe none of are ? with B.I.G.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hes moving up if his next album delivers you cant knock him. Just bc you dont have that many lyrical dudes in the game like in the 90s doesnt mean lupe isnt as nice as them. Lupe is best in the game right now
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    You're basically saying BIG was a great becuase others say it....BIG was average....if he came out today he would not stand out....

Most people who say Biggie was GOAT have not listen to more than 4 songs from duke.

So to answer your question...yes prove to me why you think Big is a great

LOL at this are you serious? I brought and own both Lupe albums have have his mixtapes so stop with the nonsense. He's not better than NaS or Big so no he is not with the GOATS right now. And no he's not better than Jay or Rakim. The top 10 is locked up ? , some may fall out but Lupe ain't there right now. Also you may feel Lupe is better than Big, doesn't make it reality man. Majority of Hip Hop fans worldwide will not have Lupe over Big, sorry.
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LOL at this are you serious? I brought and own both Lupe albums have have his mixtapes so stop with the nonsense. He's not better than NaS or Big so no he is not with the GOATS right now. And no he's not better than Jay or Rakim. The top 10 is locked up ? , some may fall out but Lupe ain't there right now. Also you may feel Lupe is better than Big, doesn't make it reality man. Majority of Hip Hop fans worldwide will not have Lupe over Big, sorry.

Well, Rap, that's his opinion. Don't consider it, then. I agree with him, as well.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe is great. I usually don't make an effort to make rankings though. He's better than most IMO.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So were gonna act like Biggie and Pac didn't have classic albums to changed hiphip and numerous hit records before they died. What classic hiphop albums does Lupe have, matter of fact, what hit records does he have that made a mass impact on rap.I'll wait!

LUPE FIASCO aint nothing but a modern GZA, a second teir mc who is technically proficient but lacking star potential. Yeah i said, dude has not made that impact to justify him being anywhere near Big and Pacs level.
  • 1of1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    So were gonna act like Biggie and Pac didn't have classic albums to changed hiphip and numerous hit records before they died. What classic hiphop albums does Lupe have, matter of fact, what hit records does he have that made a mass impact on rap.I'll wait!

LUPE FIASCO aint nothing but a modern GZA, a second teir mc who is technically proficient but lacking star potential. Yeah i said, dude has not made that impact to justify him being anywhere near Big and Pacs level.

"Star Potential" doesn't matter to me and a lot of other people...
  • 1of1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i always end up re-assessing why i like certain rappers when i compare them to lupe.

most ? just rap about the SAME ? over and over and over again and we praise them for how "well" they did it compared to the next man.

theres only a handful of truly unique mainstream rappers that have broke thru in the last 20 years that are REALLY worth mentioning. lupe is amongst that crowd. everybody else is more or less clones of one another in content and approach.

This is real ^^^.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe aint better than these ? for a fact

Nas
    Jay
    Pac
    Biggie
    Scarface
    Ice Cube
    Andre 3000
    Rakim
    Kane
    Common
    G Rap
    Redman
    LL
    Slick Rick

I ain't even gonna talk about dudes like OC,Big L,Masta Ace,Ceelo,Snoop,Pun,etc
  • 1of1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe aint better than these ? for a fact

Nas
    Jay
    Pac
    Biggie
    Scarface
    Ice Cube
    Andre 3000
    Rakim
    Kane
    Common
    G Rap
    Redman
    LL
    Slick Rick

I ain't even gonna talk about dudes like OC,Big L,Masta Ace,Ceelo,Snoop,Pun,etc

I'd say he's better than Redman...
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Star Potential" doesn't matter to me and a lot of other people...

I'll take the rapper who can stretch hiphop to the masses and bring it to places around the world. It's like saying the street baller who never made to the NBA who is better than Jordan, is better than Jordan who played on the highest level every night. I'll take the dude who does it on the highest level every night, the one who is pushing the artform forward on the highest level. There is a reason why ? like Biggie and Pac are immortalize and while lesser known dead rappers aren't remembered. It's about the impact you leave!
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'd say he's better than Redman...

Definetly not based on catalog or impact, Redman has multiple classic albums and gold/platinum albums.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hes not in my top 20
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    REALLY my ? ? and you're saying lupe doesnt have STAR POWER?

when the ? did masta ace have STAR power?? ? outta here. Kool G Rap, great lyricist, but STAR POWER MY ? ?

come on. u claim that lupe doesnt have star power, then u mention ? that dont have it...

what are you using to gauge why they are better than lupe?

I can see ur point with Star Power but in no way shape or form is Lupe better than G Rap or Masta Ace imo.
  • 1of1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'll take the rapper who can stretch hiphop to the masses and bring it to places around the world. It's like saying the street baller who never made to the NBA who is better than Jordan, is better than Jordan who played on the highest level every night. I'll take the dude who does it on the highest level every night, the one who is pushing the artform forward on the highest level. There is a reason why ? like Biggie and Pac are immortalize and while lesser known dead rappers aren't remembered. It's about the impact you leave!

Oh well we're different b/c I just base it on skill level, content, flow, etc. when I compare rappers. So greatest in terms of most significant impact and greatest in terms of skills, etc. may be different. Just think about recent years, you don't have to have the most refined skill set to make a huge impact. The only skill you need is being able to give the masses the ignorant sh*t they like.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dude has the potential and skill to be up there with anyone
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    REALLY my ? ? and you're saying lupe doesnt have STAR POWER?

when the ? did masta ace have STAR power?? ? outta here. Kool G Rap, great lyricist, but STAR POWER MY ? ?

come on. u claim that lupe doesnt have star power, then u mention ? that dont have it...

what are you using to gauge why they are better than lupe?

I LOVE HOW YOU CLEARLY IGNORED THE OTHER ? WHO CLEARLY HAVE DONE AND WILL DO MORE THAN LUPE TO FOCUS ON THE STAR POWER ? . WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ? ABOUT SCARFACE,JAY,NAS,PAC,BIGGIE,CUBE,ETC?

As for those other dudes, i am saying they have stronger catalogs, ill take WORD LIFE, JEWELZ, LONG HOT SUMMER, SITTIN ON CHROME,ETC over any of those Lupe albums.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oh well we're different b/c I just base it on skill level, content, flow, etc. when I compare rappers. So greatest in terms of most significant impact and greatest in terms of skills, etc. may be different. Just think about recent years, you don't have to have the most refined skill set to make a huge impact. The only skill you need is being able to give the masses the ignorant sh*t they like.

In that case, Canibus, Ras Kass,etc and all those rapping ass ? who have not made an impact are the goats. Oh please stop with that ignorant ? ? excuse because how do you explain Nas,Jay,Pac,Cube,Scarface,Kanye,etc success. Stop using that excuse when your favorite rapping ass ? don't succeed.
  • 1of1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In that case, Canibus, Ras Kass,etc and all those rapping ass ? who have not made an impact are the goats. Oh please stop with that ignorant ? ? excuse because how do you explain Nas,Jay,Pac,Cube,Scarface,Kanye,etc success. Stop using that excuse when your favorite rapping ass ? don't succeed.

You don't even know who my favorites are. You actually listed some of them...

And Lol @ "rapping ass ? "

And whether or not a rapper "succeeds" doesn't change My Opinion on the rapper. And success doesn't mean one has to be the highest earner or most popular...
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i'll go as far as to say lupe is lyrically a better rapper than pac, big, pun, cube, AND scarface...add Cee-lo, big L to that list too. big L was GREAT at punchlines...but what else? punchlines about getting head and killing ? . and i can even say its not fair to say what he would have done had he not been killed...but lets be real....THATS what that ? was about. PUNCHLINES.

all those rappers are limited in what they can talk about sans cube during death certificate era.

OTHER than that, album after album of the same ? .

It's about your catalog, impact, etc. There are alot of mfs who are dope lyrically but guess what, they can't make albums and have ? catalogs (see Canibus,Chino XL,Slaughterhouse mfs). At the end of the day it's about making good music and lyricism isn't a requirement to make great music.

And all LUPE can do is make music that isn't personable and sound like a robot rapping. This is why his music has not connected the way the other greats have, people aren't emotionally embeded in his music. Dude is always on some robot or third person ? .