Cornell University........White Frat Attacks Black man, Black Student Group Doesn't Want Africans

Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    I dont play silly games. I am well aware of the negative perspective Africans have towards blacks.

Smh.. Man growing up I was all sorts of Africa ? scratches this.. King of zumunda that.. If Africans don't ? with Black Americans it's more because of this as opposed to looking down on black Americans..

The ? ?.. Africans ain't black? We ain't the same? Smh..

so you are saying....the american blacks somewhat oppressed you with verbal abuse.
    so inturn you kinda have a right to be a bit angry?
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I dont play silly games. I am well aware of the negative perspective Africans have towards blacks.

Smh.. Man growing up I was all sorts of Africa ? scratches this.. King of zumunda that.. If Africans don't ? with Black Americans it's more because of this as opposed to looking down on black Americans..

Africans are Black. Problem is, many don't identify as such once here in the states. They identify according to their country of origin.

you are right..but not only africans.

I agree it's not just Africans. But this is a clear example as to how Black Americans are ignored. We try to put foreigners on but they to resist and take a stand of well that's y'all not us. So, when we tell all people of color that in America there is simply Black and White we are dismissed.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    “The Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students,” BSU wrote. “While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African holocaust in America.”

That's not "not wanting" Africans and West Indians. That's wanting more black Americans.

Which is understandable, since American owes more to black Americans than it does to more recent black immigrants and their children.

this the dumbest ? ive heard this week

i we didnt also earn the right to be in those schools, man gtfoh...
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is going to be a very interesting thread
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    very interesting thing i learned a year or so ago.

most black americans that end up living outside america at an early age...dont feel they can relate to black aemricans

Well, I know this to be 100% certain from experience. I have siblings who were raised in Africa and the Middle East.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

most black americans that end up living outside america at an early age...dont feel they can relate to black aemricans

Well, I know this to be 100% certain from experience. I have siblings who were raised in Africa and the Middle East.

but why is it this way?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

but why is it this way?

The reality is not the same. I would think there are several reasons why.

Education

Fear

Arrogance

Ignorance
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so you are saying....the american blacks somewhat oppressed you with verbal abuse.
    so inturn you kinda have a right to be a bit angry?

Africans are Black. Problem is, many don't identify as such once here in the states. They identify according to their country of origin.

you are right..but not only africans.

Me personally.. I think we are all the same.. But if an African says they ain't messing with black Americans I can see the reason I mentioned as being justification. And it's personal not racial.

Furthermore, if Harvard had adopted this logic does Barry O become the first black president? At the end of the day we are all the same. I'm African American.. Born and raised in the Bronx.. I can see both sides clearly. And with that I can affirm that we are all the same. Cuz when I'm at work and I need to hire someone I ain't looking for the first qualified black person to put on. Not African..
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh... I wonder if they came together with those International students and perhaps talk to them about our internal issues... I don't see this happening with white Americans versus white Europeans
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Smh... I wonder if they came together with those International students and perhaps talk to them about our internal issues... I don't see this happening with white Americans versus white Europeans

A lot of white americans although they identify as american they also know exactly what white european country their ancestors came from. That ? counts a lot for how they are possibly willing to look out and work with each other. On top of the white american and white european not giving a ? about the black american or the black African.

Unfortunately us black americans basically look at anybody regardless of race or nationality like they are against us. We have reason to but that also stunts the connections we could be making with our African brothers and sisters in this struggle against us.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

Calling them international students is misleading. We are talking mostly about kids who were born and raised here. Went to the same schools and grew up on the same neighborhoods.. Granted I'm not there but are these kids not American?.. Like what's the problem? We all black..
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

I agree but shouldn't the onus be on these Blacks students coming to America. Most Black Americans aren't blindly going to Africa to live without having a fairly comfortable amount of knowledge about culture, social and political issues facing Africa.

I think for Black Americans there is personal connection we try to make with Africa so, generally we tend to care about the people and land. Whereas Africans look at America as a place to come up not make connections and involve themselves in Black American issues.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man every dark skin ? was an African ? scratcher. But African immigrants who come over and go straight into the collegiate system don't suffer the same fate.

Being called an African ? scratcher no way compares to what Africans call black people. I forget the word now but you know what I'm talking about.

Africans don't see themselves as Black until it's time to ride that Black American benefit train.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Calling them international students is misleading. We are talking mostly about kids who were born and raised here. Went to the same schools and grew up on the same neighborhoods.. Granted I'm not there but are these kids not American?.. Like what's the problem? We all black..

Everyone has to accept this in order for unity to happen. And in my experience Africans don't accept that fact. As it's been said already. They are Nigerian, South African, Ethiopian etc. Saying they are Black is a stain. It means they have sided with Black Americans. And foreigners don't want that designation. Black Americans are the scourge of American society. This has been broadcast around the world and that stereotype\perception is what people believe.

• D. Morgan
    Options

Everyone has to accept this in order for unity to happen. And in my experience Africans don't accept that fact. As it's been said already. They are Nigerian, South African, Ethiopian etc. Saying they are Black is a stain. It means they have sided with Black Americans. And foreigners don't want that designation. Black Americans are the scourge of American society. This has been broadcast around the world and that stereotype\perception is what people believe.

Very true post!!
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

Bro I'm African.. And I'm telling you we all black.. Nevermind the cultural differences.. We are all black period.. Anyone who says otherwise.. African America or first Gen African immigrant is out of Touch with reality.. We acknowledge our differences but we still know we all black..
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

Man every dark skin ? was an African ? scratcher. But African immigrants who come over and go straight into the collegiate system don't suffer the same fate.

Being called an African ? scratcher no way compares to what Africans call black people. I forget the word now but you know what I'm talking about.

Africans don't see themselves as Black until it's time to ride that Black American benefit train.

This is BS.. Africans have a word for White people too.. Both are adjectives not offensive terms.. Sounds to me there is a fundamental disconnect that is based on miscommunication more so than anything.. Cuz again I'm African.. And I black American friends that I regard as brothers..
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

This is BS.. Africans have a word for White people too.. Both are adjectives not offensive terms.. Sounds to me there is a fundamental disconnect that is based on miscommunication more so than anything.. Cuz again I'm African.. And I black American friends that I regard as brothers..

you might be the rare person who does.

• EmM HoLLa.
    Options

Again that's BS.. Or maybe it's an NY thing.. It might be different in other places but we stand side by side with Black American's and Latino's especially in the hood..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    So ? dont wanna compete no more? How ironic

It's not that they don't want to compete. It's that they want a fair competition.

American blacks have oppressed in ways that blacks from these other countries have not been. There is a big difference between colonialism and what American blacks have gone through, for example.

U heard about boko haram b?

You do realize that a lot of African countries been going through genocide for thousands of years?

You do realize apartheid ended in 1994 waaay after jim crow?

You do realize slavery is still going on in Africa and a lot of East Africans are subject to Arabian slavery where they even sell them on facebook?

Educate yourself b.

Apartheid was a consequence of British / Dutch colonization in South Africa. How is it America's duty to right that wrong?

Its not about American righting a wrong in another country. Its this silly idea that black folks in other countries somehow have it easier which is stupid

You're right. I think the larger issue is, not just Africans but foreigners in general come to the states educate themselves and then take those skills and potential tax dollars back to their own countries. So, while I personally accept our African brothers and sisters. I totally understand and some what support what these students are demanding. We are losing the opportunity to strengthen the Black American communities through higher education. Because, there's alot of truth to Africans not really giving a ? about Black American issues. Which, is almost a slap in the face because, many Black Americans not only care but support Africans.

But lets not pretend its all open arms and acceptance for black folks from other countries especially Africans. Being told theyre not really black, repeating white folks jokes about Africa about living in huts and being uncivilized. Like ? don't remember ? like "African ? scratcher" or jokes about how dark skin they are...that it also a slap in the face
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Europeans will claim they Russia/English/Spanish in a heartbeat.

Just like Africans will Claim Ghana/Nigeria/Cameroon

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Again that's BS.. Or maybe it's an NY thing.. It might be different in other places but we stand side by side with Black American's and Latino's especially in the hood..

new york has a different mentality from most of the US.
    yall are all close together.its not like that other places.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

That's people in general. You leave the states people will call you American first. And Africans don't deny being black. The issue is black Americans have taken the term black to only ran black folks from the states...not black people all over the globe
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    So ? dont wanna compete no more? How ironic

It's not that they don't want to compete. It's that they want a fair competition.

American blacks have oppressed in ways that blacks from these other countries have not been. There is a big difference between colonialism and what American blacks have gone through, for example.

U heard about boko haram b?

You do realize that a lot of African countries been going through genocide for thousands of years?

You do realize apartheid ended in 1994 waaay after jim crow?

You do realize slavery is still going on in Africa and a lot of East Africans are subject to Arabian slavery where they even sell them on facebook?

Educate yourself b.

Apartheid was a consequence of British / Dutch colonization in South Africa. How is it America's duty to right that wrong?

Its not about American righting a wrong in another country. Its this silly idea that black folks in other countries somehow have it easier which is stupid

You're right. I think the larger issue is, not just Africans but foreigners in general come to the states educate themselves and then take those skills and potential tax dollars back to their own countries. So, while I personally accept our African brothers and sisters. I totally understand and some what support what these students are demanding. We are losing the opportunity to strengthen the Black American communities through higher education. Because, there's alot of truth to Africans not really giving a ? about Black American issues. Which, is almost a slap in the face because, many Black Americans not only care but support Africans.

But lets not pretend its all open arms and acceptance for black folks from other countries especially Africans. Being told theyre not really black, repeating white folks jokes about Africa about living in huts and being uncivilized. Like ? don't remember ? like "African ? scratcher" or jokes about how dark skin they are...that it also a slap in the face

i can agree and can admit to being apart of it.
    i was young dumb and uneducated about it.

and when i look back...the ? honestly ? me off.
    the cartoons and shows that made fun of us right under our noses an we was busy being entertained and brainwashed rather than educated.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Bro I'm African.. And I'm telling you we all black.. Nevermind the cultural differences.. We are all black period.. Anyone who says otherwise.. African America or first Gen African immigrant is out of Touch with reality.. We acknowledge our differences but we still know we all black..

I am agreeing with you. We are all Black. Once you step foot on American soil you are Black. All that individual nationalistic jazz is off the table. However, you and I aren't the reality though. And again my opinions aren't exclusive to Africans. Spanish speaking Blacks are probably the worse of the lot.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

I am agreeing with you. We are all Black. Once you step foot on American soil you are Black. All that individual nationalistic jazz is off the table. However, you and I aren't the reality though. And again my opinions aren't exclusive to Africans. Spanish speaking Blacks are probably the worse of the lot.

oh ?