Cornell University........White Frat Attacks Black man, Black Student Group Doesn't Want Africans

Options

Comments

• LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    I dont play silly games. I am well aware of the negative perspective Africans have towards blacks.

Smh.. Man growing up I was all sorts of Africa ? scratches this.. King of zumunda that.. If Africans don't ? with Black Americans it's more because of this as opposed to looking down on black Americans..

The ? ?.. Africans ain't black? We ain't the same? Smh..

Man every dark skin ? was an African ? scratcher. But African immigrants who come over and go straight into the collegiate system don't suffer the same fate.

Being called an African ? scratcher no way compares to what Africans call black people. I forget the word now but you know what I'm talking about.

Africans don't see themselves as Black until it's time to ride that Black American benefit train.

The word you're looking for is "akata"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akata

Now if Nigerians are calling you that, how's this representative of all Africans? Idiots like you are so narrow minded you let the experiences you have with a group of people in this case Nigerians, cloud your beliefs. How's someone from Botswana gonna call you Akata? ? we're all black....if you asked me where I'm from I'd say I'm African, Ghana to be exact!, I came to the States at 17 but for someone born here, they'll say they're Black. Heck I've seen some denounced upon saying they're Black to "? you African" as if that's an insult.

You from Ghana? Yo. You gotta deal with them white Jesus portraits in your country before you try to come for my head.

Akata is the word I'm looking for. However don't act as if other African nations don't have specific pejoratives for Blacks. We not gonna do that. If you a real one you'll respond with what Ghanaians say about us.

In general Africans have a condescending and pretentious way about them when talking about or dealing with Black people. It's on the same level as dealing with an Indian.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cinco wrote: »
    There's some cultural differences. In school the Africans were clicked up. Nigerian chics wouldn't give the BR cats any play.
    But-- Some of my Kenyan and Nigerian patnas were the reason I made it thru a couple tough classes. They showed love

Now at this Cornell... the same school where they are being called called n*ggas they fighting against each other. like @rasta said divide and conquer.
    Focus on the wrong thing

At some point bra ? gotta see through the bs and focus where focus needs to be. The cultural differences will always be there. If I stood next to any ? from the boot, you can differentiate us without a doubt. We too focused on trivial ? and then wonder why we can't progress forward.

Note: For the most part, Africans see America has immense opportunities available to all regardless of the -isms and nepotism. How many times ? in here say "I could never be a nurse" as if you lose your manhood by becoming one? Heck I didn't even want to become one myself but here I am, living comfortably. Our pride usually is our downfall as people.
  • Rasta.
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Lol this ? really said Africa wasn't affected by slavery tho......Willie Lynch still got game like MUTHAFUCKA!

Somebody in this thread got pushed to the ground by a Nigerian kid during recess

Nigerians tend to mess it up for everybody lmao
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Lol this ? really said Africa wasn't affected by slavery tho......Willie Lynch still got game like MUTHAFUCKA!

Somebody in this thread got pushed to the ground by a Nigerian kid during recess

Wait...what post is that in
    LUClEN wrote: »
    “The Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students,” BSU wrote. “While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African holocaust in America.”

That's not "not wanting" Africans and West Indians. That's wanting more black Americans.

Which is understandable, since American owes more to black Americans than it does to more recent black immigrants and their children.

? ? .

LOL. How is it ? ? to want your actual bredren to be benefitted by the systems put in place to help them when they are instead benefiting the people that got to stay back in the motherland after selling your descendants to Columbus and co?

What in the ? ... this is how you guys look at it? They were the lucky ones?
    ? off.

I never said they were lucky. But they were not victims of Slavery, Jim Crow, The ? Epidemic, The consequent War on drugs, or any other American issues. These systems that exist, like Affirmative Action, are meant to correct American problems.

@blackrain
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've used the term Akata when speaking twi with fellow Ghanaians and had no idea it had a negative connotation let alone the word originated in Nigeria for that matter.. I always thought it referred to blacks Americans nothing more nothin less.. My own Mom's calls me that from time to time since I'm a product of my environment and identify with black Americans. With this word contexts is important.. Similar to ? ? I guess.. I've never used it in a negative way though.
  • Rasta.
    Options
    I dont play silly games. I am well aware of the negative perspective Africans have towards blacks.

Smh.. Man growing up I was all sorts of Africa ? scratches this.. King of zumunda that.. If Africans don't ? with Black Americans it's more because of this as opposed to looking down on black Americans..

Man every dark skin ? was an African ? scratcher. But African immigrants who come over and go straight into the collegiate system don't suffer the same fate.

Being called an African ? scratcher no way compares to what Africans call black people. I forget the word now but you know what I'm talking about.

Africans don't see themselves as Black until it's time to ride that Black American benefit train.

Now if Nigerians are calling you that, how's this representative of all Africans? Idiots like you are so narrow minded you let the experiences you have with a group of people in this case Nigerians, cloud your beliefs. How's someone from Botswana gonna call you Akata? ? we're all black....if you asked me where I'm from I'd say I'm African, Ghana to be exact!, I came to the States at 17 but for someone born here, they'll say they're Black. Heck I've seen some denounced upon saying they're Black to "? you African" as if that's an insult.

You from Ghana? Yo. You gotta deal with them white Jesus portraits in your country before you try to come for my head.

Akata is the word I'm looking for. However don't act as if other African nations don't have specific pejoratives for Blacks. We not gonna do that. If you a real one you'll respond with what Ghanaians say about us.

In general Africans have a condescending and pretentious way about them when talking about or dealing with Black people. It's on the same level as dealing with an Indian.

Bra let's not even go there cos I ain't got time for no Jesus or any of his ilk. I posted how in general Africans feel, my conscience is always clear. Travel, explore and meet people. You're too warped of a mind to think this way, not all Africans or even most have this view of Blacks in America. I certainly don't give a ? what the next man thinks of me cos I'll still compete and may the best one come on top.
  • Rasta.
    Options
    I've used the term Akata when speaking twi with fellow Ghanaians and had no idea it had a negative connotation let alone the word originated in Nigeria for that matter.. I always thought it referred to blacks Americans nothing more nothin less.. My own Mom's calls me that from time to time since I'm a product of my environment and identify with black Americans. With this word contexts is important.. Similar to ? ? I guess.. I've never used it in a negative way though.

And that's okay cos most folks don't know this as well. That word is usually used only by West Africans in passing conversations, Ghanaians use a similar word "alata" (without the K) to describe Nigerians without any negative connotation.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's some cultural differences. In school the Africans were clicked up. Nigerian chics wouldn't give the BR cats any play.
    But-- Some of my Kenyan and Nigerian patnas were the reason I made it thru a couple tough classes. They showed love

Now at this Cornell... the same school where they are being called called n*ggas they fighting against each other. like @rasta said divide and conquer.
    Focus on the wrong thing

At some point bra ? gotta see through the bs and focus where focus needs to be. The cultural differences will always be there. If I stood next to any ? from the boot, you can differentiate us without a doubt. We too focused on trivial ? and then wonder why we can't progress forward.

Note: For the most part, Africans see America has immense opportunities available to all regardless of the -isms and nepotism. How many times ? in here say "I could never be a nurse" as if you lose your manhood by becoming one? Heck I didn't even want to become one myself but here I am, living comfortably. Our pride usually is our downfall as people.

regardless if you a nurse....most ? gonna clown it until you tell them what you make.

then watch people want the hook up
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Smh... I wonder if they came together with those International students and perhaps talk to them about our internal issues... I don't see this happening with white Americans versus white Europeans

I agree but shouldn't the onus be on these Blacks students coming to America. Most Black Americans aren't blindly going to Africa to live without having a fairly comfortable amount of knowledge about culture, social and political issues facing Africa.

I think for Black Americans there is personal connection we try to make with Africa so, generally we tend to care about the people and land. Whereas Africans look at America as a place to come up not make connections and involve themselves in Black American issues.
    Smh... I wonder if they came together with those International students and perhaps talk to them about our internal issues... I don't see this happening with white Americans versus white Europeans

Calling them international students is misleading. We are talking mostly about kids who were born and raised here. Went to the same schools and grew up on the same neighborhoods.. Granted I'm not there but are these kids not American?.. Like what's the problem? We all black..

I was calling them that based on the thread not so much of what they are. And I agree we are all black and gotta get this unity thing together. Trying to impregnate a bad D.C. Ethiopian or Eritrean.
  • Rasta.
    Options

Focus on the wrong thing

regardless if you a nurse....most ? gonna clown it until you tell them what you make.

then watch people want the hook up

Nah some principled ? can't and won't irrespective of money and that's commendable, but don't ask for a hook up smh
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree but shouldn't the onus be on these Blacks students coming to America. Most Black Americans aren't blindly going to Africa to live without having a fairly comfortable amount of knowledge about culture, social and political issues facing Africa.

I think for Black Americans there is personal connection we try to make with Africa so, generally we tend to care about the people and land. Whereas Africans look at America as a place to come up not make connections and involve themselves in Black American issues.

Calling them international students is misleading. We are talking mostly about kids who were born and raised here. Went to the same schools and grew up on the same neighborhoods.. Granted I'm not there but are these kids not American?.. Like what's the problem? We all black..

I was calling them that based on the thread not so much of what they are. And I agree we are all black and gotta get this unity thing together. Trying to impregnate a bad D.C. Ethiopian or Eritrean.

this ? want unity to smash...lol
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thats a tough fire wall to breach!

• Rasta.
    Options

Took me 7 months to get the nectar but then she was a ? , think climbing great wall of China but once you get in that click, it's over.
  • Focal Point
    Options

Thats a tough fire wall to breach!

One must dream to have a goal lol
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

Took me 7 months to get the nectar but then she was a ? , think climbing great wall of China but once you get in that click, it's over.

That's odd.. Back when i lived in DC it look me literally 7 minutes to catch one of those bodies.. Caught her coming outside of H20.. I was parked in the Range.. She jumped in and by the time I got by the white house near constitution hall the ? had her head in my lap.. Lmao.. #TrueStory..
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    “The Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students,” BSU wrote. “While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African holocaust in America.”

That's not "not wanting" Africans and West Indians. That's wanting more black Americans.

Which is understandable, since American owes more to black Americans than it does to more recent black immigrants and their children.

this the dumbest ? ive heard this week

i we didnt also earn the right to be in those schools, man gtfoh...

Where did I day that they don't have the right to be in those schools?

All I said was that America owes more to black Americans than it does to more recent black immigrants, and so there is nothing wrong with calling for it to act to increase the representation of black Americans at these elite institutions.
  • Focal Point
    Options

Gotta cross burning sands to reach the pyramids
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2017
    Options

Everyone has to accept this in order for unity to happen. And in my experience Africans don't accept that fact. As it's been said already. They are Nigerian, South African, Ethiopian etc. Saying they are Black is a stain. It means they have sided with Black Americans. And foreigners don't want that designation. Black Americans are the scourge of American society. This has been broadcast around the world and that stereotype\perception is what people believe.

Bro I'm African.. And I'm telling you we all black.. Nevermind the cultural differences.. We are all black period.. Anyone who says otherwise.. African America or first Gen African immigrant is out of Touch with reality.. We acknowledge our differences but we still know we all black..

I am agreeing with you. We are all Black. Once you step foot on American soil you are Black. All that individual nationalistic jazz is off the table. However, you and I aren't the reality though. And again my opinions aren't exclusive to Africans. Spanish speaking Blacks are probably the worse of the lot.

You talk education in one post yet make an ignorant statement here. If you were as educated as you thought then you would know more about all the very real clear elements of African culture that has shaped and still remains an important part of the culture of many Latin countries. From the style of dress to religious beliefs and practices, where do you think Santeria comes from its a mashup of African religions, to even the style of Spanish and the cadence in which it is spoken...but you're part of the demographic that should know this right?

I am addressing people who migrate to the US and are ignorant of America's racial divide. white supremacy in the U.S. doesn't discriminate against American Blacks and Latin Blacks. They are all Black to them. That is the reality. Latinos or otherwise that continue to honor their African culture has jack ? to do with accepting what being Black in America actually means. In addition listening to American Blacks who have been fighting this system since slavery.

So, miss me with your elementary assed responses. I know plenty well about Africa's influence the world over. Get on topic or ? .

And Americans are ignorant to how and why black folks from outside the US come to thr states with the mindsets that they do and how the interactions and comments by blacks in America contribute to that. Being black all over the world has generally the same damn meaning so you not expressing or exposing somebody to a new concept.

But this idea that foreign blacks deny being black simply because they dont immediately identify with being black American is stupid

More trash from you. I never once argued being Black in America, Africa or Poland for that matter is different. However, racism against Blacks the world over comes in different forms. America has it's own brand of racism as does europe, Asia etc.

So the smart thing to do when moving or integrating in a new country, culture etc would be to connect with Blacks that know that form of racism from every angle and have been fighting against it for centuries. Not isolate themselves and cower behind their culture, language, or dance.

Foreigners come to the US with Black American stereotypes because, of the white supremacists agenda to paint Black Americans as lazy criminals who were given everything and have done nothing with it. white supremacists have also stereotyped Africans as poor, corrupt and uneducated step children that cannot function without european overseers.
    The onus is those migrating to understand their situation and decision in it's totality.

We don't need more people coming here to the states and being fooled by white supremacists which, ultimately ends up being detrimental not just for them but for blacks that have been putting work to stamp out racism.

And Black Americans don't have negative and ? up stereotypes of foreign blacks? Yes you should understand the culture of a country you're moving too...but those people that live there aren't exempt from having to learn and understand about your culture as well. You're perpetrating the same white mentality you say you're against with your "You need to learn about me but I don't have to learn about your culture" responses. You can't expect a group of foreigners to be open to you if you're entire basis of how you view them is using the very same pov you're in here criticizing.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so you are saying....the american blacks somewhat oppressed you with verbal abuse.
    so inturn you kinda have a right to be a bit angry?

Africans are Black. Problem is, many don't identify as such once here in the states. They identify according to their country of origin.

you are right..but not only africans.

Me personally.. I think we are all the same.. But if an African says they ain't messing with black Americans I can see the reason I mentioned as being justification. And it's personal not racial.

Furthermore, if Harvard had adopted this logic does Barry O become the first black president? At the end of the day we are all the same. I'm African American.. Born and raised in the Bronx.. I can see both sides clearly. And with that I can affirm that we are all the same. Cuz when I'm at work and I need to hire someone I ain't looking for the first qualified black person to put on. Not African..

Barack wasn't a foreign import. He was born in Hawaii. He's American.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bra let's not even go there cos I ain't got time for no Jesus or any of his ilk. I posted how in general Africans feel, my conscience is always clear. Travel, explore and meet people. You're too warped of a mind to think this way, not all Africans or even most have this view of Blacks in America. I certainly don't give a ? what the next man thinks of me cos I'll still compete and may the best one come on top.

The assumption that i haven't traveled and met people is the type of condescending attitude I'm referring to. My exposure to Africans is what led me to be disenchanted from the silly notion of pan africanism.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wait...what post is that in

? ? .

LOL. How is it ? ? to want your actual bredren to be benefitted by the systems put in place to help them when they are instead benefiting the people that got to stay back in the motherland after selling your descendants to Columbus and co?

What in the ? ... this is how you guys look at it? They were the lucky ones?
    ? off.

I never said they were lucky. But they were not victims of Slavery, Jim Crow, The ? Epidemic, The consequent War on drugs, or any other American issues. These systems that exist, like Affirmative Action, are meant to correct American problems.

@blackrain

How were Africans victims of the trans Atlantic slave trade in America?
  • Rasta.
    Options

That's odd.. Back when i lived in DC it look me literally 7 minutes to catch one of those bodies.. Caught her coming outside of H20.. I was parked in the Range.. She jumped in and by the time I got by the white house near constitution hall the ? had her head in my lap.. Lmao.. #TrueStory..

She was already initiated to the outside world but for the uninitiated bra, I'm talking about the Coptic Christians it's tough lmao
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

so you are saying....the american blacks somewhat oppressed you with verbal abuse.
    so inturn you kinda have a right to be a bit angry?

Africans are Black. Problem is, many don't identify as such once here in the states. They identify according to their country of origin.

you are right..but not only africans.

Me personally.. I think we are all the same.. But if an African says they ain't messing with black Americans I can see the reason I mentioned as being justification. And it's personal not racial.

Furthermore, if Harvard had adopted this logic does Barry O become the first black president? At the end of the day we are all the same. I'm African American.. Born and raised in the Bronx.. I can see both sides clearly. And with that I can affirm that we are all the same. Cuz when I'm at work and I need to hire someone I ain't looking for the first qualified black person to put on. Not African..

Barack wasn't a foreign import. He was born in Hawaii. He's American.

The article is talkin about first gen immigrants. People who's parents migrated here and were born her. Or students that came here to go to school. So Barack would have been targeted.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Baracks mom was from Kansas

d6f.jpg
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    Baracks mom was from Kansas

d6f.jpg

He's still the son of an African immigrant..