Cornell University........White Frat Attacks Black man, Black Student Group Doesn't Want Africans

Options
12346»

Comments

• Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Baracks mom was from Kansas

d6f.jpg

He's still the son of an African immigrant..

that is true

but put it this way.
    If you have one parent from another country....and one from the US...
    you typically get dual citizenship.... meaning you get access to the benefits and privileges of both
    countries.

• KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Baracks mom was from Kansas

d6f.jpg

He's still the son of an African immigrant..

that is true

but put it this way.
    If you have one parent from another country....and one from the US...
    you typically get dual citizenship.... meaning you get access to the benefits and privileges of both
    countries.

Oh so now that it's Barack yall want it to be one way.

tumblr_m8p3hwTuaT1qdato8o6_250.gif

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if they looking at nationality when they look through application. if African got a overall better gpa and credential than the black American, why should African be turn away?

Im sure they do if its a box to check on the application. Might be tax benefits or who knows what involved in what nationality they pick. Everything can have an angle.

Yall need to look at this objectively, though. If there is really evidence of less locals or locals being denied unfairly, then ? it. Theyre right.

All this other ? is ? bickering like ? .
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im gonna piggy back on EMM hOLLAS point.... My pops is Nigerian and my mom is black. I caught it from both ends growing up. I have a african name...In the hood u was joked on and talked down on . African ? scratcher etc... inthe 80s and 90s folk werent as "woke" as they are now in regards to that ? . On the flip side a lot of Africans do view black folk negatively in regards to blowing opportunities... Let me break it down. Black folk culture is different. African Americans put social life above Academics esp when younger.. compare that to an African family who is gonna be super strict on they kids. not gonna spend above they means, they gonna push good grades to the exteme and all they kids gonna got to college and major in either math, engineering, or science. They will sacrifice clubbing,ffucking hoes early on, and a lot end up green late social bloomers... but they will have good jobs. Its all about perspectives but we all supposed to stick together. Growing up my sister was ashamed of her African culture.... she woul get embarrasse if her African midde name was saif in public all because of how black folk treated her. So we cant front like either side is innocent. It sad tho. I went to mypops 70th bday party in August. full Nigerian ceremony.money being thrown on the ground and danced for... It made me sad cuz thats out culture and black folk want nothing to do with it
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Im gonna piggy back on EMM hOLLAS point.... My pops is Nigerian and my mom is black. I caught it from both ends growing up. I have a african name...In the hood u was joked on and talked down on . African ? scratcher etc... inthe 80s and 90s folk werent as "woke" as they are now in regards to that ? . On the flip side a lot of Africans do view black folk negatively in regards to blowing opportunities... Let me break it down. Black folk culture is different. African Americans put social life above Academics esp when younger.. compare that to an African family who is gonna be super strict on they kids. not gonna spend above they means, they gonna push good grades to the exteme and all they kids gonna got to college and major in either math, engineering, or science. They will sacrifice clubbing,ffucking hoes early on, and a lot end up green late social bloomers... but they will have good jobs. Its all about perspectives but we all supposed to stick together. Growing up my sister was ashamed of her African culture.... she woul get embarrasse if her African midde name was saif in public all because of how black folk treated her. So we cant front like either side is innocent. It sad tho. I went to mypops 70th bday party in August. full Nigerian ceremony.money being thrown on the ground and danced for... It made me sad cuz thats out culture and black folk want nothing to do with it

Dude did you really just type, Black American culture is a culture that doesn't care about education and puts ? ? and being fly above all else. Are you serious right now?

We aren't going to front like either side is innocent. It's immigrant Africans who are guilty end of story. Africans don't come to the states and then oppressed or have their opportunities limited by American Blacks. After reading your Trumpesqe gibberish these students are right and we should start calling Africans who are on this type of ? out. Your sob stories of what happened to you and your sister makes yall appear soft as hell. Every dark skinned, fat, weird, Muslim kid has a story like yours. It's called being young and dumb.

The bottom line is this. American Blacks have put everything on the line for every minority group and non-white race to come to America and prosper. So, when BLACK immigrants specifically come to America isolate themselves and hide behind their ? facade of having a different culture it's a slap in the face. Especially when Africans and Africa as a content has done very little for American Blacks.

• aneed123
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Dude did you really just type, Black American culture is a culture that doesn't care about education and puts ? ? and being fly above all else. Are you serious right now?

We aren't going to front like either side is innocent. It's immigrant Africans who are guilty end of story. Africans don't come to the states and then oppressed or have their opportunities limited by American Blacks. After reading your Trumpesqe gibberish these students are right and we should start calling Africans who are on this type of ? out. Your sob stories of what happened to you and your sister makes yall appear soft as hell. Every dark skinned, fat, weird, Muslim kid has a story like yours. It's called being young and dumb.

The bottom line is this. American Blacks have put everything on the line for every minority group and non-white race to come to America and prosper. So, when BLACK immigrants specifically come to America isolate themselves and hide behind their ? facade of having a different culture it's a slap in the face. Especially when Africans and Africa as a content has done very little for American Blacks.

I told the truth. In comparisonto the africans that migrated here black Americans in high school and college put social life first. Ie joining frats partying ? kickin it. Vs the africans they parents aint letting them do all that. Studies come first. Its the same with Asians and indians 2. It aint bout no sob story im telling u what happens. Im far from soft. We can agree to disagree. Ive experienced both perspectives homie i know what im talkn bout
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

His articulation could be better.. What he is trying to say is there there are some black folks that have all the excuses and are just plain lazy.. But there are also some Africans who are the same.. Many of which never even make it to America in the first place.. At the end of the day.. We are all the same.. I cannot stress that enough... Fact is.. We all originate from the same damn place.. The sooner we acknowledge this the better... We can't pick and choose when we gone ? with each other.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

I told the truth. In comparisonto the africans that migrated here black Americans in high school and college put social life first. Ie joining frats partying ? kickin it. Vs the africans they parents aint letting them do all that. Studies come first. Its the same with Asians and indians 2. It aint bout no sob story im telling u what happens. Im far from soft. We can agree to disagree. Ive experienced both perspectives homie i know what im talkn bout

You can share your experiences without making sweeping generalizations and regurgitating racists stereotypes. I don't know what type of Black folks y'all hang around to come to such ? conclusions. Therefore I am led to believe y'all be at best exaggerate and the very least flat out lying to make a non-point.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2017
    Options

His articulation could be better.. What he is trying to say is there there are some black folks that have all the excuses and are just plain lazy.. But there are also some Africans who are the same.. Many of which never even make it to America in the first place.. At the end of the day.. We are all the same.. I cannot stress that enough... Fact is.. We all originate from the same damn place.. The sooner we acknowledge this the better... We can't pick and choose when we gone ? with each other.

There's no need to continue pointing out that every race\nationality has low performers, criminals etc. But what he did was slap these derogatory titles squarely on American Blacks.

I agree with you 100%. We got to get it right. But it's not going to happen with immigrant Blacks not wanting to identify as Black. Not just because of our skin color, but politically, socially and certainly in the fight against white supremacy.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options

You can share your experiences without making sweeping generalizations and regurgitating racists stereotypes. I don't know what type of Black folks y'all hang around to come to such ? conclusions. Therefore I am led to believe y'all be at best exaggerate and the very least flat out lying to make a non-point.

One thing you have to realize is this.. A lot of the views may be skewed due to economics.. When people first migrate to this country.. They end up in the hood.. I grew up in the projects.. It is a symbol of black excellence but at the same time it isn't. If that makes any sense. It wasn't until I became a grown man and traveled the world that I really got to mingle with black folks who have made something of themselves. Folks who never leave the hood don't necessarily have this experience with middle class and upper middle class black folks.. Ross said it on one of his albums.. "6 Figure Family Member? Forget about it.." This is where the disconnect is. As many black folks as there are in this country we are still the minority.. And we are concentrated in certain areas. By economics.

I agree with you 100%. We got to get it right. But it's not going to happen with immigrant Blacks not wanting to identify as Black. Not just because of our skin color, but politically, socially and certainly in the fight against white supremacy.

Bro.. I've spent this entire thread saying that we are the same. Africans identify with ya'll.. If they don't they are in denial..
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, I don't know about that black Americans don't value education stuff. I can only speak my experience, and for those around me, but my American black family stressed education and it was stressed at an early age. My grandfather pretty much mandated that all his children get an education and go to college. Worked his butt off to send them all to school, and my dad did the same with me and my siblings. I've met numerous other black American families who shared these same values, and were in the south.

As far as the jokes, man we all got that. It wasn't just exclusive to immigrants, even though in Mississippi, we didn't come across too many immigrants. We did have one from South Africa. He used to take the jokes and roll with it. One of the most popular kids in school lol. Being dark skinned, I heard my share as well, but that's just kids being kids. We was all clowning back then
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can share your experiences without making sweeping generalizations and regurgitating racists stereotypes.

He's not the only one in this thread though... but this thread is funny and sad at the same time

Like JAY-Z said: "... still ? ..."
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Read the bolded, and immediately hit the wack.

So your pops isn't black too?
  • aneed123
    Options

folk be argung just to argue. u know got damn what I meant. Nigerianand african american... is that better?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh so now we're all Black huh...?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

folk be argung just to argue. u know got damn what I meant. Nigerianand african american... is that better?

Truthfully though that's part of the problem and its been raised in this thread. Many have taken "black" to only mean African American
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Truthfully though that's part of the problem and its been raised in this thread. Many have taken "black" to only mean African American

I think that BS.. And hypersensitivity.. If someone says they're from New York.. That doesnt mean they are saying they aint american.. Or if i say I'm from the Brooklyn that doesnt mean I'm not from New York.. We gotta stop finding little things to divide us..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I think that BS.. And hypersensitivity.. If someone says they're from New York.. That doesnt mean they are saying they aint american.. Or if i say I'm from the Brooklyn that doesnt mean I'm not from New York.. We gotta stop finding little things to divide us..

Its ? ...but its also true. I've said before the only time ive been told I'm not black is by other black Americans. I've seen black Americans tell folks from the islands they're not really black so they can't speak on black issues.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dumbest arguments I've heard

Y'all pick and choose who you consider black or African or carribean?

So thugga, obama, Farrakhan, styles p, busta rhymes, chamillionare ain't black?

How about Kodak black ass?

Stop drawing everybody over a line. If you had a problem with an African or carribean old timer then take that up with them.

The ones born in America and Europe consider themselves black and go through the same discrimination as y'all.

Aint nobody hating on AA.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Yes, thats what dark skin is called presently. Regardless of location.

People that think like that are part of the problem. Your nationality is not your race, your race is defined by skin color. Youre not half black and half nigerian, not half white and half cape ferdian, not half black and west indian.

If your mixed use your parents nationalities or both their races. Half american, half nigerian or half black and half white. Whatever is relevant to the question. Anything else sounds foolish and insecure.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Well, maybe not all; probably just about 98-99%.

And dude doesn't look like his pops is one of the 1-2%.