There will be girls in the Boy Scouts

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

Earlier this year, the National Organization for Women urged the Boy Scouts to admit girls to the entire program, supporting the efforts of a New York teenager, Sydney Ireland, to attain the rank of Eagle Scout, as her older brother did.

"I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do — earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award," she told NBC News. "The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it's just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender."

In the past, the Girl Scouts have been cool to the idea of admitting girls into the Boy Scouts, citing research that showed many girls learn best in an all-female environment.

"We are unparalleled in our ability to build great female leaders who contribute to society at every level," said Andrea Bastiani Archibald, a psychologist who helps guide the Girl Scouts.

Feminism...

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had a daughter in girl scouts & just last year my oldest son was in boy scouts... honestly there isn't much of a difference. So meh.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can have ? no more
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »
    I've had a daughter in girl scouts & just last year my oldest son was in boy scouts... honestly there isn't much of a difference. So meh.

So you would let your son join girl scouts if that's what he wanted?

Shut the ? up.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Godspeed to these children
  • grYmes
    edited October 2017
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »

So you would let your son join girl scouts if that's what he wanted?

Shut the ? up.

What type of ? question is that? Get off my ? .

They done so much as far as trying to be gender equal they might as well just be the scouts. Stop being quick to type ? you know nothing about. SMH
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I actually don't mind this...selling cookies and community charity and ? is cool meanwhile boy scouts get to learn more survivalist and outdoors skills...why shouldn't girls get to learn that.

I will say tho why don't they just see what each club is doing that their own lacks and implement it into their respective clubs? Like just put more outdoor activities in girls scouts if that's what the issue is.

Or just put em both together like some of yall already said
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack

I feel for the fathers who have sons who are girls scouts. Jr. gonna be the thin mints plug.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    I aint tryna buy no boy scout cookies

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

I think they should just be The Scouts

Teach all kids life skills
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

Lord knows this generation needs it
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    They are basically admitting that the girl scouts are wack. To be honest, I never seen a girl scout pass the age of an elementary age. How far does the girl scout level go? All they have to do is have the same stuff as the boy scouts. I don't see there being an issue with it being separate. Not everything has to be for both sexes.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not everything has to be for everybody.
    I think somebody put that girl up to wanting to join the boy scouts because any sane parent would just make her join the girl scouts and call it a day. This reeks of agenda.

Guarantee the Girl Scouts wouldn't bend over backwards like this.

They need to merge. As nonprofits they can merge and share resources, instead of allowing girls to infringe on the boys.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

Nahhh

Gotta raise these kids with gender roles. Men lead. Bring home the bacon. Women bake cookies and stitch up ? that a man has broken. Sounds like the basis for a healthy family. Too many ? baking cookies, and women bringing home the bacon as is. ? not healthy. When I do get married, I'll be in a position where my wife can choose if she wants to work. It won't be required.
  • grYmes
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Not everything has to be for everybody.
    I think somebody put that girl up to wanting to join the boy scouts because any sane parent would just make her join the girl scouts and call it a day. This reeks of agenda.

Guarantee the Girl Scouts wouldn't bend over backwards like this.

They need to merge. As nonprofits they can merge and share resources, instead of allowing girls to infringe on the boys.

I was apart of the boy scouts troop my son was in last year & the girl scouts were in the same place so I saw a lot of what the girls were doing. There really ain't too much difference other than the whole "empowering girls" thing (and of course typical female ? ). I'm sure back in the day it was way different but in this PC age they wanna be "inclusive".

Eventually they gonna merge it's inevitable.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

Nahhh

Gotta raise these kids with gender roles. Men lead. Bring home the bacon. Women bake cookies and stitch up ? that a man has broken. Sounds like the basis for a healthy family. Too many ? baking cookies, and women bringing home the bacon as is. ? not healthy. When I do get married, I'll be in a position where my wife can choose if she wants to work. It won't be required.

this ain't the 50's anymore, stop watching Hollywood movies, too, they don't reflect ? ..
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

Nahhh

what does that have to do with kids learning life skills ?

Using your examples ...boys should know how to cook and see a button on their shirt. And girls should know how to earn a living

Amongst other things ...
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    We can have ? no more

Nobody can, dude. Nobody can.
    They need to just unify both orgs if you going to let everyone in.

My blood is boiling
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Boy Scouts sell popcorn

Like...already made?
  • grYmes
    Options