The NFL Backs Down; Will Not Force Players To Stand

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
The NFL will not be forcing their players to stand during the playing of the National Anthem. In a strange turn of events, commissioner Rodger Goodell backtracked on the subject and now says that the letter he sent to all 32 teams asking that they have their players stand will not be enforced. Instead, the NFL plans to promote “social justice” causes.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart explained on Friday that when Goodell and the team owners meet on Oct. 17-18 in New York they will be discussing the National Anthem protest, but they’ll now be looking to find a way to incorporate the social issues that are of concern to players into the NFL platform, according to the New York Post.

Previously, it was thought the NFL was going to buckle down and force players to stand by changing league policy.

1014A7.jpg

http://tribunist.com/news/nfl-backs-down-will-not-require-players-to-stand-will-promote-social-justice-causes-instead/

Comments

• onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This deserves a celebration
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What’s in it for them?
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A win is a win
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All it takes is one to spark the change
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    A win is a win

Honestly what was actually won?

There is already a law on the books that states you can't force a person to stand for the pledge or the anthem.

IMO the nfl team owners and goodell found out there is no way they can circumvent that law and force the players to stand without it being collectively bargained. So they have in turn found a way to monetize the players social causes to get themselves paid and now get the players to stand for the anthem and now most people black and white fans will stop boycotting the nfl and watch games again.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    A win is a win

There is already a law on the books that states you can't force a person to stand for the pledge or the anthem.

IMO the nfl team owners and goodell found out there is no way they can circumvent that law and force the players to stand without it being collectively bargained. So they have in turn found a way to monetize the players social causes to get themselves paid and now get the players to stand for the anthem and now most people black and white fans will stop boycotting the nfl and watch games again.
    exactly
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Still aint watching or supporting. This is damage control.
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    A win is a win

Basically. Just another disingenuous gesture to placate the masses.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When Kaepernick gets a job it will be a victory.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is very far from over but they went from trying to force players to stand to letting them continue to protest. A league that supposedly 100% supports vets. That will throw out a lot of deflection conversation racists use and might actually lead to more discussion about what the protest is REALLY about.

Promising to incorporate social issues the players deem important is something we cant gauge til it begins to happen.

But i do think its important to know what the catch is, and how they handle kap from this day forward. They may try to turn the players against kap since theyre allowing the protest in order to somehow sabotage his lawsuit if thats even possible. Bc at the end of the day money is what moves them.

The ultimate irony would be nfl giving the players what they want at the cost of them having to support nfl black balling kap to sabotage his lawsuit when kap is the one who sacrificed himself.

Or maybe im overthinking :lol:
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Owners will do anything to keep the cash cow happy as long as the happiness doesn’t threaten the cash cows owner benefits
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    This ? is very far from over but they went from trying to force players to stand to letting them continue to protest. A league that supposedly 100% supports vets. That will throw out a lot of deflection conversation racists use and might actually lead to more discussion about what the protest is REALLY about.

Promising to incorporate social issues the players deem important is something we cant gauge til it begins to happen.

But i do think its important to know what the catch is, and how they handle kap from this day forward. They may try to turn the players against kap since theyre allowing the protest in order to somehow sabotage his lawsuit if thats even possible. Bc at the end of the day money is what moves them.

The ultimate irony would be nfl giving the players what they want at the cost of them having to support nfl black balling kap to sabotage his lawsuit when kap is the one who sacrificed himself.

Or maybe im overthinking :lol:

Naw you ain't overthinking. I could see this happening as well. Yeah it's good...but I don't trust them. A smokescreen is gonna get thrown soon.

Especially if it's to undermine Kap's lawsuit. I don't blame him for not trusting the NFLPA when they tried to reach out to him. You never know.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately , this is definitely not over (temporary placation) and I'll leave it at that...
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    When Kaepernick gets a job it will be a victory.

How about when African-Americans have team ownership instead of just being the employees in the NFL?

I still want Kap to get a job though. However, I'm STILL not watching a game.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately , this is definitely not over (temporary placation) and I'll leave it at that...

You know the NFL team owners are going to find a way to get back at them.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think trumps remarks about the NFL over this took a big effect on the decision making. Some owners made it a point to kneel after trump said ? about the NFL/Players/Owners.

Should just get rid of the anthem from Sporting events, period.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Party popper ass ?
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You know the NFL team owners are going to find a way to get back at them.

Yea, they will push via collective bargaining, when the current deal expires, to enact a mandatory anthem rule and will impose harsh penalties, more blackballing and suspensions if players don't comply...

Unfortunately, the SC ruling (West Va St Board v. Barnette) against forcing people to stand for the anthem is against government entities. Doesn't apply to private organizations, that's why the NBA has an anthem rule and it hasn't been deemed illegal or unconstitutional.

US Code that everyone cites (36 US 301(b)) "requiring" people to stand has been invalidated via various flag burning cases ( i.e Texas v. Johnson, US v. Eichman) and the statute is: 1) advisory and 2) interpreted by most as NOT requiring individuals to stand. Again this rule would need to placed in the context of the government requiring one to stand.

The NFLPA needs to get on its job and leverage this to prevent the NFL owners from passing a rule requiring players to stand during the next collective bargaining period.

Like you stated earlier, they can't change the rule until its collectively bargained for and Goddell knows this so he is backing off...
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I watch is NBA, Boxing and Power

I dont give a ? about NFL