Pete Rock defends ole heads in music and explains why newer artist music don’t get no respect ...

Options

Comments

• Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both Generations getting Riled up over the same debate over & over again "Sigh" At this point It's a revolving door of emotions... I know how & cherish the Era i grew up in ...Will this Era/Generation do the same ? Talk that ? Pete

https://youtu.be/qH0JlVH9gYo
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He giving dark skinned ? a bad name by always being in his feelings.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He giving dark skinned ? a bad name by always being in his feelings.

Kinda ? Ass ? Is This ?
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Matike85 wrote: »
    my question to Pete would be instead of talking ? why not embrace the young boy movement and you and them can both learn something. 90s rappers are really arrogant

You can say the same about these new ? too

These young ? don't be bothering nobody!

Yes they do, come on bro you know better

Who ? Brah they don't be wanting no problems. All they want is lean pills and ? . Like you don't think ? in the 80s hated the 90s and early 2000s . That didn't deter them from doing them!

Nah b, a lot of them cats from the 80's was still droppin heat in the 90's. RunDMC, BDP/KRS-ONE, EPMD, Special Ed, MC Lyte, Rakim, and a grip of other MC's were still bringing it back in the 90's.

But 2Pac said To De La Soul on Against all odd ... " ? Looking Like Larry Holmes Old, flabby, and sick then try playa hate on my ? " ...
    De La Soul was considered an old heads by 1996 and and came out in 1989

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

Its unbelievable how 2Pac stans can turn a Pete Rock thread into a 2Pac thread.

B...b...but if Pac lived he would have started Death Row East with Eric B and they would have taken over the East coast.

Nah man thats all gee ? ass saying that ? about death row east.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Hiphop the only genre of music were the forefathers get ? on. Hiphop is a young man's game the Waka's of the game will be in Pete Rock's shoes in 5yrs. Just how this hiphop game go. I agree with Pete but he's yelling at a cloud for the most part.

Pete been touring every year since his first album dropped damn 20 plus yrs ago. He has a legacy and these new ? won't be around next year let alone 20 plus.

You ain't never lied. Most of the cats from 5-10 years ago strugglin. Their only path to relevancy is to hopefully secure a reality show deal. That's the only reason dudes like Scrappy can still eat off their name but that's only for the lucky few that managed to get a show.
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk why y’all argue with 5 Grand. He’s an idiot that ? dudes in the ass
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    my question to Pete would be instead of talking ? why not embrace the young boy movement and you and them can both learn something. 90s rappers are really arrogant

Who ? Brah they don't be wanting no problems. All they want is lean pills and ? . Like you don't think ? in the 80s hated the 90s and early 2000s . That didn't deter them from doing them!

Nah b, a lot of them cats from the 80's was still droppin heat in the 90's. RunDMC, BDP/KRS-ONE, EPMD, Special Ed, MC Lyte, Rakim, and a grip of other MC's were still bringing it back in the 90's.

But 2Pac said To De La Soul on Against all odd ... " ? Looking Like Larry Holmes Old, flabby, and sick then try playa hate on my ? " ...

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

B...b...but if Pac lived he would have started Death Row East with Eric B and they would have taken over the East coast.

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

Nah man thats all gee ? ass saying that ? about death row east.

Eric B was going to be running Deathrow East it was his and Suge's idea.

Lol this is well known

Wasnt going to be a game changing thing like gee portraying it to be.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a huge Eric B and Rakim fan and I bought all their albums in the late 80s/early 90s.

But I don't understand what Eric B would have brought to the table at Death Row East. Its been 20 years and as far as I know he hasn't done much as far as discovering new talent or managing a record label.

I don't have anything negative to say about Eric B, but he's not a mogul like Russell Simmons, Master P or Puff Daddy.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a 2 way street but the old ? just wanna ? just to ? . If you want to find quality hip hop in the old school spirit or style there are hundreds of underground ? who do they thing. And the pete rocks and other old ? can stand behind those rappers. Stop ? about UZI and go salute Krit or Odisee or Kendrick.

And the funny thing is most of the old ? ? never gave a chance or adapted to the new style of rap. It's like how bobby knight ? about one and done but coach K got one and done's and kept winning. The Jays, and Pusha T's and Diddys and Coach K's (in rap) found young ? and built new empires and taught some of these young ? about longevity.

Add on to the fact that ? like LL wanna talk about how bad the new school is and they ? shucking and jiving to host the grammys and be on mainstream TV. Like ? if you gunna talk about how wack the new school is why aren't you putting on arena tours and showing the young ? how it was done. That's why i salute the ? like Jay Z and Diddy. They have tried to spread knowledge to the youngn's.
  • tk_heuristics
    tk_heuristics Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    Hiphop the only genre of music were the forefathers get ? on. Hiphop is a young man's game the Waka's of the game will be in Pete Rock's shoes in 5yrs. Just how this hiphop game go. I agree with Pete but he's yelling at a cloud for the most part.

Pete been touring every year since his first album dropped damn 20 plus yrs ago. He has a legacy and these new ? won't be around next year let alone 20 plus.

You ain't never lied. Most of the cats from 5-10 years ago strugglin. Their only path to relevancy is to hopefully secure a reality show deal. That's the only reason dudes like Scrappy can still eat off their name but that's only for the lucky few that managed to get a show.

This is a valid point. The only ones who have longevity are Legends but the younger rappers will realize this in due time. The smart ones will have saved their money.

I don't know what provoked this rant but Pete just comes off like he's hating most of the time tbh.

Also shout outs to Yachty always fronting like he's some genius businessman when he doesn't know his head from his ass when it comes to his actual paperwork.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wrong thread smh.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm an old head myself (37) and i personally feel rap is in a dope space right now with Kendrick, Cole, Krit, Drake (when he wanna rap), Asap Rocky,etc. Sure there is some garbage rappers out there, but at least there is balance now. There was garbage rappers in the 90s and 80s too. Plus a lot of the ? these ? call rap isn't rap to me. There is way too many options out here nowadays for bitter old heads to even complain about rap. If you don't like what you hear then listen to your throwback joints.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

I hate to break it to you but Tupac was just one guy with his own personal opinion (who happened to be in his feelings about De La Soul at the time since he thought they were ? on him).

De La just did a world tour and released a grammy nominated album.

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

Bruh, De La was still droppin heat in 2000.

Art_Official_Intelligence_Mosaic_Thump.jpg

AOI: Mosaic Thump debuted at #9 on Billboard in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avIqTrX2eac

"Oooh" was a hit song. ? stayed in radio and video rotation back then.

? what Pack was talmbout.

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

And they still around, where Tupac at? ? De La here this month and the show is sold out

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

This confirm yall East Coast Bias... West Coast, Down South, MidWest ? ... Did not give AF about De La Soul in 1996...
    Do or Die, OutKast, Master P, and 2Pac had more impact albums in 96 than De la Soul...Po ? , Atliens, Ice Cream Man, All Eyes on Me, & Makaveli had stronger impact on the streets than De La Soul Stakes Is High Album in 96... New York ? like Pete Rock stay hating... Typical Crab Ass East Coast ? Mentality
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most these young ? don’t respect rap so old heads can’t respect them
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap game soft. ? everybody
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

pac liked de la soul tho lol
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

I hate to break it to you but Tupac was just one guy with his own personal opinion (who happened to be in his feelings about De La Soul at the time since he thought they were ? on him).

De La just did a world tour and released a grammy nominated album.

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

And they still around, where Tupac at? ? De La here this month and the show is sold out

aicf3wd2qqc4.gif

This confirm yall East Coast Bias... West Coast, Down South, MidWest ? ... Did not give AF about De La Soul in 1996...
    Do or Die, OutKast, Master P, and 2Pac had more impact albums in 96 than De la Soul...Po ? , Atliens, Ice Cream Man, All Eyes on Me, & Makaveli had stronger impact on the streets than De La Soul Stakes Is High Album in 96... New York ? like Pete Rock stay hating... Typical Crab Ass East Coast ? Mentality

Speak on ? you know about bruh. I'm FROM THE MIDWEST. We was knockin De La Soul all day long in Tha D. At the same time we were banging Outkast, pretty much anything from Oakland and LA, Houston ? , and Memphis ? .

But that wasn't the point of my post. If you actually took the time to READ and COMPREHEND ? , you would UNDERSTAND that the point was that, as I said earlier, there were cats from the 80's that were still droppin hot albums throughout the 90's and into the 2000's. The album I pointed out dropped in 2000 and debuted in the Billboard Top 10 and the single and video got a lot of video and radio play.

In '96 the video for "Stakes Is High" was gettin burn on radio and especially video rotation. That video alone stayed in the Rap City countdown for weeks.

Do or Die Po ? Album > De La Soul Stakes Is High in 1996
    pv7y2n4b7xys.gif

0om1et0hzqvk.gif
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    ? want to talk integrity, the reason that everyone had artistic integrity back then is because the A&r said you had to be nice. YouTube is the A&r today, and guess what the people who pay for the music would rather you have a story then be nice on the mic in a lot of cases. Either that or do something different to set yourself apart, because everybody wants to be different and be in their own lane so that’s why a lot of these kids are doing.

From that era to now the fundamental question has changed from can you spit to are you real.

Like I said, let the little homies rock, they are navigating the landscape as best they can. And to keep it real they didn’t get out of control because they were born that way.

And I wouldn’t even say that they are out of control, I see a lot more kids in decent situations today then there were when I was young.

But for the sake of argument. If you want to see why a crop is dead, don’t blame the corn, blame the farmers.

In this analogy they are the farmers though and the crop is the music.

And to take that analogy a step further... let's say you have a new generation of farmers that have no interest in learning how the work is actually done because it's just too difficult and boring. They just cop their little Monsanto pesticides and dump it on the field and call it day. What kind of crop can you really expect them to yield and is it really anybody else's fault that they suck at their job?

What generation raised these lil ? ?

Wayne n Kanye birth these ?