The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So i just watched Watchmen again and im confused. If Zack Snyder can do such a great job with the action scenes, tone, and beautiful visuals why is it his DC movies arent up to par? Watchmen>>>>
    OXeOj.gif
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because watchmen was a stand alone flick, with a beginning, middle, and end. No need to accomodate and develop a universe around it. The best thing he did was stick to the book almost completely. Even thr things he kinda improvised, like the awesome intro with Bob Dylan singing, was still plucked from the comics' dialogue.

Dont be fooled, lot of people disliked Watchmen too. I absolutely loved it. Still think it's the best movie Snyder will ever do (MoS comes close)

That and he wasn't there for post production as Whedon took over due to his family tragedy.
  • AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I really didn't like JL... It was a major disappointment. DC/Warner Bros. should of just kept rolling with the rest of the SOLO films to build up the JL. But they wanted to try to compete with MARVEL so they rushed it with this ? and it shows. I mean there were some dope parts but it was a mess. The CGI was horrible and what the ? was up with that CGI lip on Superman? That was ? -awful. And Batman was getting his ? ass whipped the whole damn time?!?! I was waiting for another dope Batman fight scene like he had in BvS. WW was dope, Flash was alright, should of been more Aquaman (and I ? hate Aquaman but he was one of the dope ones in the movie), Cyborg was cool... But I really wasn't feeling this one. Maybe I will like it with a extended cut like BvS but as of right now it was ok at best.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I really didn't like JL... It was a major disappointment. DC/Warner Bros. should of just kept rolling with the rest of the SOLO films to build up the JL. But they wanted to try to compete with MARVEL so they rushed it with this ? and it shows. I mean there were some dope parts but it was a mess. The CGI was horrible and what the ? was up with that CGI lip on Superman? That was ? -awful. And Batman was getting his ? ass whipped the whole damn time?!?! I was waiting for another dope Batman fight scene like he had in BvS. WW was dope, Flash was alright, should of been more Aquaman (and I ? hate Aquaman but he was one of the dope ones in the movie), Cyborg was cool... But I really wasn't feeling this one. Maybe I will like it with a extended cut like BvS but as of right now it was ok at best.

Maybe JL2 will be better since the 1st one was a buildup to the ultimate showdown but if they use time travel to undo the havoc im going to be ?
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So i just watched Watchmen again and im confused. If Zack Snyder can do such a great job with the action scenes, tone, and beautiful visuals why is it his DC movies arent up to par? Watchmen>>>>
    OXeOj.gif

The watchmen focused more on fight choreography which made it a classic film. I get these guys have super powers but they need to balance this ? out. Superman gets a pass because he is a ? but WW was a major let down spamming her gauntlet explosive wave thingy.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why don't these studios realize the way to go with these superhero movies is to treat them like a real film with quality acting and directing. That's why the Dark Knight movies and Logan will be viewed as classic. There was character development and a story line. Most of these comic book movies can't stand on it's own as just being a great movie.

As far as The Justice League go. The Flash was just awkard period with his over talking and weird jokes. Batman looks old and bloated. Cyborg and Wonder Woman carried the film. The problem i have with these multi superhero movies like Justice League, Suicide Squad, and Avengers is they all seem rushed or forced. A bunch of random mfs thrown together will no pacing. These studios need to develop a storyline over multiple movies ie The Dark Knight series.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Those cuts make it an entirely different movie SMH

But wayyyyyyy tooo looong.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Why don't these studios realize the way to go with these superhero movies is to treat them like a real film with quality acting and directing. That's why the Dark Knight movies and Logan will be viewed as classic. There was character development and a story line. Most of these comic book movies can't stand on it's own as just being a great movie.

As far as The Justice League go. The Flash was just awkard period with his over talking and weird jokes. Batman looks old and bloated. Cyborg and Wonder Woman carried the film. The problem i have with these multi superhero movies like Justice League, Suicide Squad, and Avengers is they all seem rushed or forced. A bunch of random mfs thrown together will no pacing. These studios need to develop a storyline over multiple movies ie The Dark Knight series.

Agree, but there was nothing rushed or forced about Avengers. Avengers has it's faults but they took years to build that universe before the first Avengers movie dropped.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »

Agree, but there was nothing rushed or forced about Avengers. Avengers has it's faults but they took years to build that universe before the first Avengers movie dropped.

Avengers was a very basic and by the numbers movie that most people have forgotten by now. It benefited from being the first movie of it's kind (multi franchise crossover) in decades and indeed as flawed as the build up was (mcu phase 1) it was still much more organic than this ? .
  • Broddie
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    OXeOj.gif

Watchmen was almost verbatim to the graphic novel. It was essentially a storyboard already drafted for him. All he had to do was follow the script. Watchmen is hard to ? up, all they did was change the ending.

It's not just that the ending was changed on the surface. It's entire point and purpose is completely different than that of the GN's ending. As are a lot of the character beats and motivations.

A lot of the thematics and key parts of the GN's narrative in general were changed, removed or completely misinterpreted by Snyder's only faithful on the surface level adaptation.

This is why so many fans of the book completely hated it. I don't have time to break down the specifics but there are many articles or internet posts on comic book forums that take the film to task accordingly.

Watchmen adaptation was only really good to people who didn't know the story beforehand or only understood it on an extremely superficial level.

It's partly understandable because Watchmen's storytelling only truly works the way it does because of how that form of narrative execution was tailor made for the comic book format.

What the movie should've done was adapt the main themes and truly reinterpret them for a cinematic storytelling format. Not try to ape comic book storytelling in a medium not really built to serve it. Tell the story in a way that could only be told only with the film medium. Spiritually that would've been a more faithful approach. In that sense Terry Gilliam had the right idea.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    OXeOj.gif

Watchmen was almost verbatim to the graphic novel. It was essentially a storyboard already drafted for him. All he had to do was follow the script. Watchmen is hard to ? up, all they did was change the ending.

It's not just that the ending was changed on the surface. It's entire point and purpose is completely different than that of the GN's ending. As are a lot of the character beats and motivations.

A lot of the thematics and key parts of the GN's narrative in general were changed, removed or completely misinterpreted by Snyder's only faithful on the surface level adaptation.

This is why so many fans of the book completely hated it. I don't have time to break down the specifics but there are many articles or internet posts on comic book forums that take the film to task accordingly.

Watchmen adaptation was only really good to people who didn't know the story beforehand or only understood it on an extremely superficial level.

It's partly understandable because Watchmen's storytelling only truly works the way it does because of how that form of narrative execution was tailor made for the comic book format.

What the movie should've done was adapt the main themes and truly reinterpret them for a cinematic storytelling format. Not try to ape comic book storytelling in a medium not really built to serve it. Tell the story in a way that could only be told only with the film medium. Spiritually that would've been a more faithful approach. In that sense Terry Gilliam had the right idea.

Yawn
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    out of all the marvel movies, I think Avengers has held up the worse. I;ve only seen it once and I have no need to see it again. And I hate that weird filter it was shot in, especially the last action scenes. its hard to explain but it almost looks like it was colored in color pencils.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd say it was AoU to me. I thought it was trash in the theater
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Huey_C wrote: »

Avengers was a very basic and by the numbers movie that most people have forgotten by now. It benefited from being the first movie of it's kind (multi franchise crossover) in decades and indeed as flawed as the build up was (mcu phase 1) it was still much more organic than this ? .
    out of all the marvel movies, I think Avengers has held up the worse. I;ve only seen it once and I have no need to see it again. And I hate that weird filter it was shot in, especially the last action scenes. its hard to explain but it almost looks like it was colored in color pencils.

There's nothing wrong with Avengers. It had a great story, it advanced along the mcu, it's repercussions are still being felt in the mcu. it humanized Tony Stark and Hulk, it showed how much of a leader Captain America is. It lived up to the hype phase 1 was building up to. Also highest grossing comic book film ever. Until Infinity War comes out. But y'all really wanted Avengers to be a dark justice league or something????
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With there being a huge chance that WB loses money on Justice League, hopefully they finally wake the ? up and stop with these last minute edits and take their time making these movies. Of course there was other things involved like Snyder dropping out, but i honestly feel the death of his daughter wasnt the only reason he took off. You'd think they would have learned after Suicide Squad. Thankfully Patty Jenkins fought back and stood her ground mostly as its rumored the execs wanted her to cut out the No Mans land scene which makes no sense at all as that scene was probably the movies most powerful part.

Fanboys/Sites are saying the DCEU is in danger of being cancelled, but i dont think that will be happening either. I think Budgets for films will be cut, but the movies will continue. They already have Aquaman in Post production and Shazam in early production.

Cavill will be around for at least one more movie as superman as its in his contract for one more appearance. I like him as Supes, i hope he renews after his next appearance.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    With there being a huge chance that WB loses money on Justice League, hopefully they finally wake the ? up and stop with these last minute edits and take their time making these movies. Of course there was other things involved like Snyder dropping out, but i honestly feel the death of his daughter wasnt the only reason he took off. You'd think they would have learned after Suicide Squad. Thankfully Patty Jenkins fought back and stood her ground mostly as its rumored the execs wanted her to cut out the No Mans land scene which makes no sense at all as that scene was probably the movies most powerful part.

Fanboys/Sites are saying the DCEU is in danger of being cancelled, but i dont think that will be happening either. I think Budgets for films will be cut, but the movies will continue. They already have Aquaman in Post production and Shazam in early production.

Cavill will be around for at least one more movie as superman as its in his contract for one more appearance. I like him as Supes, i hope he renews after his next appearance.

I think Aquaman will be better off than Justice League with critics
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Also, Ezra Miller and Geoff Johns confirmed batman will appear in flashpoint. For us familiar with the story, it probably wont be afflecks batman though. Would be dope if they got Jeffrey Dean Morgan to play him since he's Batman's dad in the BvS flashback and hes expressed interest in playing flashpoint batman.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Probably. James Wan is directing and critics are pretty decent to his horror movies. This one will be completely different than anything he's done before, but I think he will do a good job and get good critical reception as long as his movie isnt chopped up last minute
  • Broddie
    edited November 2017
    Options

Probably. James Wan is directing and critics are pretty decent to his horror movies. This one will be completely different than anything he's done before, but I think he will do a good job and get good critical reception as long as his movie isnt chopped up last minute

He rocked his Fast & Furious movie despite Paul Walker's death. That's why he really got Aquaman imo.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Oh ? i forgot he did a Fast and Furious movie, i thought he only had his horror movies under his filmography haha. I do recall his Fast and Furious movie being the best reviewed one i've heard in quite some time though.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I always think comments like these are funny because none of these movies deserve multiple watches to me. I can sit through them more than once, but I never get a particular urge to see them again. I loved the Dark Knight and I've only watched it once through ever. I've enjoyed all the MCU movies, and the only one I've ever seen all the way through more than once was TWS and that's because it was the only thing on in the hospital while my wife was in labor.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I always think comments like these are funny because none of these movies deserve multiple watches to me. I can sit through them more than once, but I never get a particular urge to see them again. I loved the Dark Knight and I've only watched it once through ever. I've enjoyed all the MCU movies, and the only one I've ever seen all the way through more than once was TWS and that's because it was the only thing on in the hospital while my wife was in labor.

These movies are better when you don't watch them often. That way they domt get stale I haven't watched TDK in years.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Age of Ultron and the Avengers were not all that great of movies. I mean it was cool that everybody teamed up but it wasn't as good as Civil War and the most of the stand alone films. I really hope both of the Infinity War movies are better than the Avenger movies