Are People In Their 30s, 40s and 50s Not Supposed To Have An Opinion?

Options

Comments

• Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    The most bias cats always crying East Coast Bias.....
    Cain wrote: »
    Matike85 wrote: »
    CapitalB wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

You can't have it both ways. You can't say your Mt Rushmore is Pac, Nas, Jay and Big in one breath and in the next breath say that older people don't have a valid opinion regarding Hip Hop, new or old.

Nas, Jay, Big and 2Pac were born between 1968 and 1973. Their ages range between 44 and 49.

There isn't anybody born after 1990 that is going to replace those four on Mt Rushmore.

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Cube is more impactful to the genre than Nas will ever be..

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... "The Reason Community" on This site suffers from East Coast Bias syndrome.

Shutcho yo corny ass up too ? . FOH with that bias ? when you're being bias yourself
    Your Bias is 20/20 and your hate make you blind to logic and Facts
    aaqr3xjxv6nv.gif
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

You can't have it both ways. You can't say your Mt Rushmore is Pac, Nas, Jay and Big in one breath and in the next breath say that older people don't have a valid opinion regarding Hip Hop, new or old.

Nas, Jay, Big and 2Pac were born between 1968 and 1973. Their ages range between 44 and 49.

There isn't anybody born after 1990 that is going to replace those four on Mt Rushmore.

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... The IC suffer from East Coast Bias syndrome.

I'm just going to come straight out and say it:

NWA and Cube were dope for their time. But the art of rapping/MCing evolved between 1988-1998. Ice Cube had a nice 4/5 album run (depending if you count ? At Will). But Cube raps at half the speed that Nas raps.

While I agree that Cube made a big impact in American pop culture, Nas is a better rapper. Illmatic and Lethal Injection were one year apart and Nas's wordplay and flow was eons ahead of Cube (e.g. Life's A ? and One Love). The difference between Cube and Nas is like the difference between Blues and Rock N Roll. Blues is cool and there's nothing wrong with it, but Rock N Roll was faster. Once Rock N Roll took off, Blues seemed country.

I was in Boston during the East/West beef. We thought the West Coast rappers rapped slow and basic while the East Coast rappers rapped at twice the speed. Granted, the other 49 states liked the slow rapping better and it sold more, but Nas, Big, Raekwon, ? , Ghost, AZ, Jay were doing things with the mic that cats on the West Coast weren't doing.

For example, compare Natural Born Killers to Life's A ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99C23Y8l5hU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwSfbE9IXc

Natural Born Killaz had a dope beat and the lyrics were cool, but Nas and AZ were rapping at twice the speed of Cube and Dre.

Uve used the speed of rapping before...if im reading that correctly then bone thugs and twista would be the best ever

While i agree nas is a better rapper than cube and more consistent discography.....cubes subject matter and way of laying it out is superior to nas....and subject matter should be more important than lyrical ability

I get what you're saying as far as speed, but Bone Thugs and Twista rap so fast that I can't make out the lyrics, which ruins the listening experience (I feel the same way about Reggae, sometimes I like the song but I can't make out what they're saying)

Bone Thugs and Twista rap too fast, so fast that I can't judge their lyrics. The way Nas and AZ were rapping on Life's A ? was a different type of fast. They filled in every possible space with syllables without rapping in double time. Kinda how Big Pun and Eminem rapped in the late 90s without the punchlines, just flow.

As far as subject matter vs lyrical ability, thats all a matter of opinion.

Ok just making sure....so u dont enjoy sloe flow rappers at all then? Like rakim?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Older heads seem to forget that they were the younger heads in their day whos music taste fashion etc.. were hated on and criticized by the ogs of their generatrion. u can have an opinion but if u dont even know or listen to the music of the cats u critiquing then u have no room to say ? . U just thought skooly with the tooly was the same as skooly fromt the rich kids... So imagine debating and telling a young rap fan that they music is trash and u make that error... guess what? U have no creditbility to stand on. Young folk set the trends too many old fans try to force they opinion on and thell they what to like. Older fans alos ignore the negative of they generation as well.
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    speed IS IRREVELANT. what is being said and how it's being said is what is important
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cannot evaluate music or any artform without objective criteria that is the only way we can escape generational bias. and by the criteria of what makes good hip-hop music most of the young guys are garbage.

You don't see too many of the old heads being disrespectful towards Kendrick because he's clearly skilled

21 savage however.....
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Older heads seem to forget that they were the younger heads in their day whos music taste fashion etc.. were hated on and criticized by the ogs of their generatrion. u can have an opinion but if u dont even know or listen to the music of the cats u critiquing then u have no room to say ? . U just thought skooly with the tooly was the same as skooly fromt the rich kids... So imagine debating and telling a young rap fan that they music is trash and u make that error... guess what? U have no creditbility to stand on. Young folk set the trends too many old fans try to force they opinion on and thell they what to like. Older fans alos ignore the negative of they generation as well.

@ the bolded Fair enough.

But you're right about being a younger head being hated and criticized by the older generation. I remember when this was the hottest song in the summer of 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVFNs0piP8

^^^ I was 9 years old when that came out. Imagine me at 9 years old trying to defend this to the older cats that grew up on James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Parliament/Funkadelic, Earth Wind & Fire, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Kool & The Gang, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, etc.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Out of curiosity, how would you measure impact?

no Cube.. no NWA.. no NWA no Death Row.. no Tupac.. no Friday.. no raw social commentary.. im drinkin drivin and ? wit a ? right now so i can go as indepth as i want to..

but Cube fingerprint is all over rap..

we aint talkin bars and lyrics.. Nas got that in Spades..
    more so than Cube no doubt.. but Nas never exists HipHop would still be where its at..

Big really aint that impactful either..

we talkin Mount Rushmore ? ..
    what ? mean to the movement.. Nas aint ? compared to Cube in that aspect..
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Out of curiosity, how would you measure impact?

no Cube.. no NWA.. no NWA no Death Row.. no Tupac.. no Friday.. no raw social commentary.. im drinkin drivin and ? wit a ? right now so i can go as indepth as i want to..

but Cube fingerprint is all over rap..

we aint talkin bars and lyrics.. Nas got that in Spades..
    more so than Cube no doubt.. but Nas never exists HipHop would still be where its at..

Big really aint that impactful either..

we talkin Mount Rushmore ? ..
    what ? mean to the movement.. Nas aint ? compared to Cube in that aspect..

Nonsense. KRS One was giving that raw social commentary on Criminal Minded which came out in 1987.

Here's a song called 9 Millimeter that was on Criminal Minded. Its a story of a weed dealer that gets in a gunfight with a ? dealer. But the twist is that there's no moral to the story. The weed dealer shoots and kills the ? dealer and his posse and gets away. Up until that point rappers (Melle Mel, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, etc.) would talk about life in the streets but there was always a moral to the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYY6xwwfCE

And here's a song by Too $hort called Girl (Thats Your Life). Its basically a song about a girl that smokes ? . I'm not sure if it came out in 1983 or 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftczz7fwod8

Here's another song by Too $hort called Dope Fiend Beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUfz0AhQP0

Here's another one called Freaky Tales, its 9 minutes and he raps about the same thing throughout the whole song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVJTvOO4yY
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »
    let them young ? get they money . real hiphop heads will always check for the real music .

facts
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can have opinions but with opinions there needs to be due research and knowledge of how music goes in cycles. For instance i am 27 but many 30 and 40 and 50 somethings ? about how pop or mumble rap is taking over. Yet old ? can't do they research and see the mainstreams best selling artists have quality bars.

Old ? get mad that ? has been dumbed down for top 40 rap but don't remember that Jazz came through in the early 19000s and then blues pulled up after with a simple yet equally impactful movement. Old ? who try to understand the youngn's but still disagree on some things are respected. But old ? who wanna ? and cry and just down the new ? have opinions that aren't taken seriously.

The problem here is that a lot of us old heads DO take the time to check out new cats and that's where the ? we say comes from. I download an obscene number of mixtapes every month and I give these new cats a chance. The vast majority of the time I wish I hadn't wasted my time even downloading most of these mixtapes. I'm not gonna sit here and act like I don't ? with all new artists 'cause that ain't the case. I checked out Dave East's mixtapes on a whim and was surprised at what I heard, then ? off at the same time. When dude ain't trying to sound like every other rapper out there, he's actually a nice MC. The problem is that he's got tracks that copy the same cadence and flow of every other rapper out there and those are disappointing because his true talent gets lost trying to appeal to whomever it is that likes that garbage flow and overly simple rhymes. I said the same thing about Lil B, Schoolboy Q, Mac Miller and a few others.

Cats like Uzi Vert, Migos, Lil Yachty, etc have no redeeming qualities. Their rhymes are garbage, they use the same flows and cadences, ? is turrble and I can say that because I've given them a listen.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... "The Reason Community" on This site suffers from East Coast Bias syndrome.

And you suffer from "I flunked 4th grade English syndrome"; what's your point?

• tk_heuristics
    tk_heuristics Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    Cube fell off hard once he was knee deep in hollywood. A lot of those 90s albums were blatantly phoned in and/or supplemented by ? he'd bite off of newer more relevant rappers. He began making generic corporate gangsta rap that's functionally equivalent to the trap ? we see now, just repeating cliche's and ? he did before, over the same cliche west coast beats. He evolved at a snails pace.

I'll always remember Cube's wack verse on Hand of the Dead Body where Scarface is spitting some real ? and Cube comes in with yet another phoned in verse about gun's he'd never shot that didn't even match the theme of the song. That was Cube for quite a while.

For those reason's I'd put Nas over Cube. Nas had his wack period too but Cube was actively toxic in the way he'd prop himself up by just biting people. I mean, Cube is underrated in The Grand Scheme of Things but just compare Cube to Scarface man. Nothing he did post Amerikka's Most touches anything Face did.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean, Cube is underrated in The Grand Scheme of Things but just compare Cube to Scarface man. Nothing he did post Amerikka's Most touches anything Face did.

Death Certificate is better than anything in scarface catalog
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean, Cube is underrated in The Grand Scheme of Things but just compare Cube to Scarface man. Nothing he did post Amerikka's Most touches anything Face did.

Death Certificate is better than anything in scarface catalog

Need the nosign button back
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    diary and the fix>>>
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube fell off hard once he was knee deep in hollywood. A lot of those 90s albums were blatantly phoned in and/or supplemented by ? he'd bite off of newer more relevant rappers. He began making generic corporate gangsta rap that's functionally equivalent to the trap ? we see now, just repeating cliche's and ? he did before, over the same cliche west coast beats. He evolved at a snails pace.

I'll always remember Cube's wack verse on Hand of the Dead Body where Scarface is spitting some real ? and Cube comes in with yet another phoned in verse about gun's he'd never shot that didn't even match the theme of the song. That was Cube for quite a while.

For those reason's I'd put Nas over Cube. Nas had his wack period too but Cube was actively toxic in the way he'd prop himself up by just biting people. I mean, Cube is underrated in The Grand Scheme of Things but just compare Cube to Scarface man. Nothing he did post Amerikka's Most touches anything Face did.

shut the ? up .
  • 5 Grand
    Options

shut the ? up .

^^^ Mods need to ban people that don't have anything intelligent to say.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 grand in his feelings again... Nothing to see here.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Pac>>>>Jay>>>Big
    Fixed and to be honest Cube should be replacing Jay on that Joint and Scarface Replacing Biggie. Cube has had a greater Impact than anyone on that Mount hiphopmore and so has Face..

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

shut the ? up .

^^^ Mods need to ban people that don't have anything intelligent to say.

We wouldnt have a forum if that happened
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

your Bias that's the point... ?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Pac>>>>Jay>>>Big
    Fixed and to be honest Cube should be replacing Jay on that Joint and Scarface Replacing Biggie. Cube has had a greater Impact than anyone on that Mount hiphopmore and so has Face..

im in agreeance wit that..
  • tk_heuristics
    tk_heuristics Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options

shut the ? up .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGXG5LS9X2I
  • konceptjones
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

your Bias that's the point... ?

You ? up a 5 word sentence but I'm the ? ?

05cb5b5a718617240bdf199ef1c7260af59b2f5eb67255078bb1f3d1fc155773.jpg
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody can have opinion, but it's just that; an opinion.