Eminem 8th studio album "Revival" 12/15/17

Options

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    So yeah... Revival is not a rap album, it's an americana pop album (see first paragraph for definition in case you skimmed thru this). And not even a good one at that. A good americana pop album would be Macklemore's The Heist. It perfectly disguised itself as a rap album, but Macklemore's political bullet points were well stated and captured its intended audience. One thing about Em, he rap. Well. Really well. His mind is a machine when it comes to this rap ? . In fact, that's his Achilles' heel at this point. He lost the ability to transition that skill into great songwriting. Cleaning Out My Closet, Mockingbird, The Way I Am, etc. did not lean on punchlines and generic hooks. Just a frustrated man venting and telling stories. They're not even his best songs skillwise. Here, he's trying too hard to create a perfect verse to appeal to the rap heads and leave the hooks to sway the teeny boppers. That leaves the songs disconnected from any reality of the subject matter... which is the biggest shame of this album seeing what he's talking (domestic issues, police brutality, Trump, career frustration, near death). All I hear is an old man trying too hard to convince himself he can still rap, all while force feeding the pop audience Costco versions of his old ? . Every song on this album is a reincarnation of Encore.

And to the fans of this album (I'm talking to you, Shadyteam... I know you're reading this)... you've been hoodwinked. Bamboozled. Ran amuck. Led astray. ? basically gave you half an album of Recovery throwaways and you all bought it. You can tell some of these songs are old. It's like he realized ain't no sensible human gonna sit there and listen to a 45 year old man rap really fast and loud about ? Melania Trump, pushed back the date just so he can finish those records to salvage this audio colostomy bag. ? basically pulled a Canibus in the Dizaster. Spit a bunch of outdated ? ? that couldn't keep up with the environment around him, choked mid album during the Pink song, and at the end pulled out some old, even more outdated ? ? to say he at least finished. At this point, he's trying to sell you emotion, but forgot that the music has to be good for that emotion to work. I feel bad that actually wrote all this drawn out ? . Of all the ? I been thru this year that took my time away from sitting down and analyzing the quality music that came out this year, I finally get the time to listen to an album thoroughly, and this is what I get. My bad y'all. Gonna listen to 4:44 and Pressure to get this out my system and restore my faith that old heads can still make quality rap music.

The bolded is all that was needed
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    He killed that verse on Compton a couple years ago

He just need to reconnect w/ Dre and those 2 need to lock in

? Rick Rubin. Never saw why he was so sought after.

Rick good for a track or 2 but not a whole album. That ? only works w/ early Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys

And LL.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    So yeah... Revival is not a rap album, it's an americana pop album (see first paragraph for definition in case you skimmed thru this). And not even a good one at that. A good americana pop album would be Macklemore's The Heist. It perfectly disguised itself as a rap album, but Macklemore's political bullet points were well stated and captured its intended audience. One thing about Em, he rap. Well. Really well. His mind is a machine when it comes to this rap ? . In fact, that's his Achilles' heel at this point. He lost the ability to transition that skill into great songwriting. Cleaning Out My Closet, Mockingbird, The Way I Am, etc. did not lean on punchlines and generic hooks. Just a frustrated man venting and telling stories. They're not even his best songs skillwise. Here, he's trying too hard to create a perfect verse to appeal to the rap heads and leave the hooks to sway the teeny boppers. That leaves the songs disconnected from any reality of the subject matter... which is the biggest shame of this album seeing what he's talking (domestic issues, police brutality, Trump, career frustration, near death). All I hear is an old man trying too hard to convince himself he can still rap, all while force feeding the pop audience Costco versions of his old ? . Every song on this album is a reincarnation of Encore.

And to the fans of this album (I'm talking to you, Shadyteam... I know you're reading this)... you've been hoodwinked. Bamboozled. Ran amuck. Led astray. ? basically gave you half an album of Recovery throwaways and you all bought it. You can tell some of these songs are old. It's like he realized ain't no sensible human gonna sit there and listen to a 45 year old man rap really fast and loud about ? Melania Trump, pushed back the date just so he can finish those records to salvage this audio colostomy bag. ? basically pulled a Canibus in the Dizaster. Spit a bunch of outdated ? ? that couldn't keep up with the environment around him, choked mid album during the Pink song, and at the end pulled out some old, even more outdated ? ? to say he at least finished. At this point, he's trying to sell you emotion, but forgot that the music has to be good for that emotion to work. I feel bad that actually wrote all this drawn out ? . Of all the ? I been thru this year that took my time away from sitting down and analyzing the quality music that came out this year, I finally get the time to listen to an album thoroughly, and this is what I get. My bad y'all. Gonna listen to 4:44 and Pressure to get this out my system and restore my faith that old heads can still make quality rap music.

The bolded is all that was needed

I know. You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes there's that one you just gotta drown.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? w/ Castle & Arose
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh and the dedicated Stans defending it all over the internet is hilarious
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

watch long enough and you'll notice some GLARING realizations about Eminem's stanbase....

spoiler alert: the stans are white
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

watch long enough and you'll notice some GLARING realizations about Eminem's stanbase....

spoiler alert: the stans are white or they wish they were

Fixed
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

spoiler alert: the stans are white

Ya don’t say...
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    p4m8x15vhv1m.png

This ? Em trippin...

Ain't no telling how far the value of these dropped after all the critics trashed this album.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've got the app so I read that Guardian review. Straight ether
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    I've got the app so I read that Guardian review. Straight ether

Lank...
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It’s on the last page
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    The Guardian said

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/dec/15/eminem-revival-review

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. For the last 20 years, two technically versatile and emotionally literate rappers have been vying for the title of “biggest tin ear for beats”. Sorry, Nas: you’ve been roundly trounced at last.

Production-wise, Revival is a trainwreck. If Eminem thinks his verbal box of tricks can overcome the weakness of any backing track, his recent albums have demonstrated otherwise

right here dummies
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Rick good for a track or 2 but not a whole album. That ? only works w/ early Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys

And LL.

and Johnny Cash.
  • matches malone
    Options
    ? em really sampled that bette midler song.

• matches malone
    Options
    ? ! I like "Need Me" now. I feel so much shame.

Cuz it's 67% Pink's song. Pink lowkey got some fire in her catalogue. You can easily be slightly entertained by it til Em starts playing karaoke and harmonizing with her.

I mean I'm not even ? up with Em's part though, including the guest crooning he was doin. Had to play some gangsta ? to redeem myself though lol

Yeah, the songs for me that do that are the Revival skit (they flipped Regina Spektor's Human of the Year perfectly) and Tragic Endings. I felt 5% of my Blackness going on strike, so I had to bump Supreme Clientele, The Pillage and Black on Both Sides to get it back.

underrated post
  • matches malone
    edited December 2017
    Options
    so serious question. Who told eminem that rapping to rock beats was a good idea? I dont mean an occasional sample like Sing for the Moment. I mean straight up sampling full rock beats like hes been doing since Recovery or so. I dont remember him doing that on the underrated Relapse. He said in a ton of interviews that all he listened to was hip hop. So I doubt he's even a fan of the genre like Jay Z legitimately is (even though hes not stupid enough to rap over joan jett).

so who the ? told em to do so

this album sucks BTW. Not quite Encore bad, but damn, its disappointing as hell.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so serious question. Who told eminem that rapping to rock beats was a good idea? I dont mean an occasional sample like Sing for the Moment. I mean straight up sampling full rock beats like hes been doing since Recovery or so. I dont remember him doing that on the underrated Relapse. He said in a ton of interviews that all he listened to was hip hop. So I doubt he's even a fan of the genre like Jay Z legitimately is (even though hes not stupid enough to rap over joan jett).

so who the ? told em to do so

this album sucks BTW. Not quite Encore bad, but damn, its disappointing as hell.

Rick Rubin told him who else
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And LL.

and Johnny Cash.

Yeah but he didn't exactly have Johnny freaking it over Rock Box or Peter Piper style backdrops. Those American albums were pretty tough though.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Stay wide awake is my favorite off relapse. He bodied that ?
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    In memory of a once creative force in hip hop here are some of what I consider his last true moments of greatness.

https://youtu.be/Q9kcP6pGEkM

https://youtu.be/SMm9F7nrf_w

https://youtu.be/vpUEXSb1wR8

R.I.P. Eminem

And He had a fake British accent.... The legend continues...

0isq7gwix86i.gif