Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    Man forget about the sabers. Luke's 1 in a million shott at the end of New Hope using the force was more out there for someone with minimal training than somebody who is already combat trained getting a boost with the force against some guards.

But you'll never see these people complain about those things.

Luke was able to hit that shot

1) the earlier training with obi wan that taught him to hit and react to what he couldn't physically see.
    2)obi wan ghost was guiding Luke.

The precedent was established in the movie and paid out in a big way at the end.

That's why no one is complaining it was an earned victory.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But with me saying that we're looking at it as grown ppl.The philosophical questions and theories this movie opens up has way more implications than any of the sequels and prequels

I understand why Luke wants to die and let the Jedi die,but also Kylo wants the Jedi and the dark side to die too.They both want the same thing.

The problem is that if there's light there has to be dark.Ending the Jedi doesn't end The Force and ending the First Order wouldn't end the dark side.

Luke is really no different than Yoda when we meet him.He's old and used to be gangster. Most of his friends are dead like lil uzi and fighting a losing war.But there's always a new generation ready to start again.

I think Luke came to conclusion that the only way he could think of to stop Star Wars was to end the Jedi and by doing that end the dark side and the use of the force period,but he can't control the force.

Kinda like how maybe in Game of thrones the only answer is to end all magic.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    Rey is force sensitive which means she can unconsciously use the force.

That's worlds different from training to use the force to obtain a specific end.

Anakin trained for years

Luke received training by yoda then he had five years honed his skills between empire strikes back and rotj where he is a confident Jedi able to take on jabba and Vader.

This movie ? on everything that came before while putting up a subpar product.

Then Yoda burning the Jedi library and saying let all that go was a ? you to the fans of the star wars expanded universe who knew how comprehensible and well put together the lore was that was expounded upon in 30 years of literature.

Pretentious arrogant clowns.

There was only 6 months to a year in between Empire and ROTJ

Han wasn't frozen for no 5 years and Leia wasn't a sex slave for 5 years

sidenote Jabba totally ? Leia

You're right it wasn't 5 years it was a year. But it had been four years since new hope and since Luke began his training under obi wan and yoda. Which means he's been training for years before he faced Vader the first time and lost his hand and was more attuned to the force the second time.

Point being it took time for Luke, greatest Jedi ever Skywalker, three years, what it took Rey less than a week to do.

Bad writing due to "yay girl power" agenda

Luke wasn't really training using the Force until Empire though.That's when Yoda appeared.

I think that Kylo and Rey are more powerful than even Darth and Luke ,because of the fact that they both showed high skill levels early and were strong enough to scare Luke just like Luke and his father scared Yoda and Obi and all the jedi before.

I'm taking the politics out of it.IDC if Rey is a woman,but I'm totally aware of the strong woman theme.

Just for the sake of change it doesn't bother me.

I can poke a hole in every complaint about this movie.I even asked myself some of those same things.

Even if rey practiced fighting w/ bums,she was still more battle tested than Luke in the originals.

And having the force strong in you makes you have other skills like being a great pilot or mechanic or sword fighter naturally.

The more I hear ppl complain the more I like this movie.I paid to see it and now I'm watching the bootleg and it's even better on the rewatch.

Some of the jokes do hit more because some of those jokes do come back around by the end.

And as far as Snoke we didn't know ? about the Emperor either at 1st.He didn't even appear until Empire as a hologram.We didn't really see him until ROTJ.

We actually know Snoke more than the Emperor .All we knew was the emperor was bad and took ? over before the film even began.Kinda the same w/ Snoke except Snoke hasn't taken over fully like The Empire.

I guess this is about Kylo and not Snoke.and also this is a trilogy so more questions will be answered.

Most of the ppl on here probably weren't even born when these movies came out or were babies.Those originals aren't perfect,but are great.we picking them apart now as grown ppl.

Obi wan has Luke force training and light saber training

https://youtu.be/X69NCLxwLEY

Luke was scared of Kylo turning Sith and bringing them back. He wasn't scared of his power, He never was concerned about Rey's immediate pull to the dark side.

Then they tried to give her some ? Dagobah caves scene but it was like a Lady Gaga video. She didn't face any fear. That's how the dark side seduces you by enticing you to give into fear and that's how you become a Jedi master by overcoming your fear.

Rey has no challenge no conflict to overcome and she should because she didn't even start Jedi training till two weeks ago which means she has a lifetime of issues and attachments that are easily exploitable by the dark side.

Which was the concern with Anakin at 8yo and Luke at 19.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    But with me saying that we're looking at it as grown ppl.The philosophical questions and theories this movie opens up has way more implications than any of the sequels and prequels

I understand why Luke wants to die and let the Jedi die,but also Kylo wants the Jedi and the dark side to die too.They both want the same thing.

The problem is that if there's light there has to be dark.Ending the Jedi doesn't end The Force and ending the First Order wouldn't end the dark side.

Luke is really no different than Yoda when we meet him.He's old and used to be gangster. Most of his friends are dead like lil uzi and fighting a losing war.But there's always a new generation ready to start again.

I think Luke came to conclusion that the only way he could think of to stop Star Wars was to end the Jedi and by doing that end the dark side and the use of the force period,but he can't control the force.

His decision to die makes no sense. Kylo is already out there so if his plan goes through he dies and leaves the galaxy, his sister included in the hands of the Sith. That is a moral cowardice that is completely symmetrical to the established Luke Skywalker of the previous trilogy.
    He would never abandon his family and friends and die like that.
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say this was better than Force Awakens but that it was terrible. Story is terrible and full of holes and they killed the only interesting plot points. They need to decide what story they want to tell and do that and let fans react however they will.

Also without star wars fans, this franchise wouldn't be worth the $$$ they paid for it and to ? on us fans the way they did shows they don't get it. Ok so you might say they don't care about old fans like me but who exactly will be pining for the rest of the series with these 2 debacles that they gave us?

Luke is the ultimate hero and yet they ? on him. Snoke was primed to be the ultimate villain and they ruined that (no matter how JJ tries to get his story back on pace next ep) Rey being a nobody who needs no training and taught herself to the point that she's already better than the experienced villain is lame as ? . Remember there is no time gap between the movies so in 1 week she discovers the force, bests kylo and teaches herself a lightsaber technique.

I could go on but this is ultimate trash and everything was there for them. It's like getting Rihanna in your room for amazing nasty sex and then jerking off at the door & falling asleep instead of ? her.

What they could've done in ep7 was introduce the Sith philosophy and training by showing us someone who discovers the darkside and that lore to the mainstream and introduce new heroes to stop them. Show us a galaxy that is united or divided after the fall of Palpatine. Show us the Luke with the personality that we remember who kept his promise to Yoda and taught what he knew and rebuilt the order his way. Religious leaders have conviction and are usually fundamentalists then the next gen has differing interpretations of the philosophy and tweak it (kylo Ren) Luke wouldn't be the one to abandon the jedi ways and go into isolation. Han solo wouldn't have gone into hiding and left his ship for someone else...Leia would've searched Luke out in the force. Personalities don't change. ? Terrible I'm out and there aren't many as into star wars and the lore as I am. I will see the other movie on bootleg or on tv b/c I don't give a ? about their stories any more. Anybody who wants to know what really happened and who Luke really is just needs to read of listen to the Fate of the Jedi books and you will see what they were really trying to do and why it didn't work.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    When Laia became Superman and flew in space I was like....

dxsl6ca0gmgm.gif

1. there's no gravity in space. why do you think they keep astronauts tethered to the space station in real life? they'll aimlessly float forever without it

2. the force can be used to pull objects to the force user, so why would it be farfetched that it could be used to pull the force user to a sturdy object like a door?

she spose to be dead B
  • YoungChamp
    YoungChamp Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Options
    Kylo killing snoke was something i didnt see coming, but all sith lords eventually ? their master so..im more disappointed in them not giving any backstory to how snoke became leader of the first order, and no i dont believe he's darth plagueuis like most do, he pretty much was there downplaying the thought of kylo turning to the light, i personally thought it was stupid for the first order to wait until the resistance ran out of fuel to fully attack. Finn and rose was completely unecessary trip to canto bight, Rey had almost the same amount of training as Luke did to be honest, But lastly Luke was terribly underutilized the entire movie, i hate they made him seem like a grumpy old man, like i get it if he was a grey jedi by then especially since he was ready to almost destroy kylo when he sensed the dark side in him, but cmon that force projection was dope but id rather see him gone out in a light saber battle instead of becoming one with the force like obi wan. Rian johnson was going to pure shock value instead of proper execution of a good story, and the only character development involved kylo and poe, Rey was kinda just there and her lineage was meh, scavenger ? smh. Hopefully Abrams can redeem the franchise in episode 9
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Meanwhile I haven't seen a SW movie in my life.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    Man forget about the sabers. Luke's 1 in a million shott at the end of New Hope using the force was more out there for someone with minimal training than somebody who is already combat trained getting a boost with the force against some guards.

But you'll never see these people complain about those things.

It was the force
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    When Laia became Superman and flew in space I was like....

dxsl6ca0gmgm.gif

1. there's no gravity in space. why do you think they keep astronauts tethered to the space station in real life? they'll aimlessly float forever without it

2. the force can be used to pull objects to the force user, so why would it be farfetched that it could be used to pull the force user to a sturdy object like a door?

she spose to be dead B

Hey ? its the force! Shut your brain off professor its a science fiction movie ,not science facts.
  • loch121
    Options
    Obi wan had Luke practice sword fighting with a little ass golf ball robot,so you think that's better practice than Rey actually fighting off real opponents? That ball was a ? .pause

Rey has had more training than Luke.She already has the force and it's probably stronger than his.She has been practicing combat and acrobatics like we see in the 1st scene of FA.She probably spent more time on that Island than Luke spent with Yoda.

Yoda had him balancing/moving rocks and ? and she moved rocks and cracked the ground.I saw her practicing with her sword.I assume there was rocky like montage cut out

They both had visions

Sad to say but Luke died a broken man.I think he damn near felt he made the same mistake as his father and the cycle just continues with Ben.

I mean it may not be triumphant,but it's more realistic than some happy ? .War is hell

Yoda,Obi,Annakin, etc all kinda ended up old and disillusioned.Obi just disappeared in front of Darth like "Focker Out"
  • loch121
    edited December 2017
    Options

His decision to die makes no sense. Kylo is already out there so if his plan goes through he dies and leaves the galaxy, his sister included in the hands of the Sith. That is a moral cowardice that is completely symmetrical to the established Luke Skywalker of the previous trilogy.

Yes it is.Luke is basically like a priest who lost his faith.Ben turning to the dark side and what happened made him lose his confidence.Okay and?

So what was Yoda doing then?

Yes Yoda helped get Luke and Leia to safe places,but how many ppl died in those 20 yrs while the Empire took over everything.At least Luke stopped the First Order from full control like The Empire had for right now.

Yoda was in a swamp being green and talking backwards for 2 decades by himself.Yoda was probably low key insane.? like 800 yrs old.

Bottom line Yoda wasn't doing anything better besides having more hope.Luke and Leia could have just died as kids in random incidents for all his help.
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    for those of you who keep saying kylo was lying about rey's lineage to get her to turn....

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson states that Kylo Ren was not lying about Rey’s parentage when he told his frenemy they were nobodies.

“That’s what Kylo sees and that’s what he tells her and I think he’s not lying in that moment. That’s what he saw and she seems to believe it when she hears it. I don’t want to … I’m not writing the next film, we’ll see how they handle it going forward, and as we all know in these movies, there’s always a certain point of view that’s involved. But, for me, I’ll tell you that was the … I can understand why that answer doesn’t feel good. It’s not supposed to feel good. It’s supposed to be the hardest thing she could possibly hear in that moment.”

so quit acting like there was some grand master plan behind it that we'll find out about later. He ? it up point blank. Why you think he's giving all these defensive interviews now justifying what he did.
  • loch121
    Options
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Meanwhile I haven't seen a SW movie in my life.

Lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Agrv2385 wrote: »
    for those of you who keep saying kylo was lying about rey's lineage to get her to turn....

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson states that Kylo Ren was not lying about Rey’s parentage when he told his frenemy they were nobodies.

“That’s what Kylo sees and that’s what he tells her and I think he’s not lying in that moment. That’s what he saw and she seems to believe it when she hears it. I don’t want to … I’m not writing the next film, we’ll see how they handle it going forward, and as we all know in these movies, there’s always a certain point of view that’s involved. But, for me, I’ll tell you that was the … I can understand why that answer doesn’t feel good. It’s not supposed to feel good. It’s supposed to be the hardest thing she could possibly hear in that moment.”

so quit acting like there was some grand master plan behind it that we'll find out about later. He ? it up point blank. Why you think he's giving all these defensive interviews now justifying what he did.

I can still see JJ Abrams change it but eh. This should’ve stayed the story of a Skywalker I mean Ben solo is the other main star but still...
  • LordZuko
    Options

Yes it is.Luke is basically like a priest who lost his faith.Ben turning to the dark side and what happened made him lose his confidence.Okay and?

So what was Yoda doing then?

Yes Yoda helped get Luke and Leia to safe places,but how many ppl died in those 20 yrs while the Empire took over everything.At least Luke stopped the First Order from full control like The Empire had for right now.

Yoda was in a swamp being green and talking backwards for 2 decades by himself.Yoda was probably low key insane.? like 800 yrs old.

Bottom line Yoda wasn't doing anything better besides having more hope.Luke and Leia could have just died as kids in random incidents for all his help.

Except he and Obi made plans to hide the twins and go into hiding. Vader was on the hunt specifically for surviving Jedi he and Obi were literally the last two.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Obi wan had Luke practice sword fighting with a little ass golf ball robot,so you think that's better practice than Rey actually fighting off real opponents? That ball was a ? .pause

Rey has had more training than Luke.She already has the force and it's probably stronger than his.She has been practicing combat and acrobatics like we see in the 1st scene of FA.She probably spent more time on that Island than Luke spent with Yoda.

Yoda had him balancing/moving rocks and ? and she moved rocks and cracked the ground.I saw her practicing with her sword.I assume there was rocky like montage cut out

They both had visions

Sad to say but Luke died a broken man.I think he damn near felt he made the same mistake as his father and the cycle just continues with Ben.

I mean it may not be triumphant,but it's more realistic than some happy ? .War is hell

Yoda,Obi,Annakin, etc all kinda ended up old and disillusioned.Obi just disappeared in front of Darth like "Focker Out"

She was literally fighting bums. Less than a week ago.
    These the ? she fought after a weekend seminar on Jedi island

The Red guard
    How powerful are the royal guards from Star Wars?

It depends if we are talking about Canon or Legends.

As in Legends the Royal Guard are immensely powerful. With highly resistant battle armor, along with lightsaber resistant force pikes that when turned on high could shock the entire nervous system of anything smaller than a Bantha, and on it’s lowest setting incapacitate a wookie. It should also be mentioned that the force pike was not just an Electroshockstaff, but also a vibro weapon, able to cut through armor like butter, and dismember someone with just a tap. Not only this, but they are highly trained in hand to hand combat when disarmed, which is an extremely rare occurence. It has also been shown that a single Royal Guard showing up can turn the tides of a battle within mere minutes. A comic book details the losing battle of an imperial remnant, when an RG shows up and just absolutely destroys the opposing forces. My favorite panel of this comic displays how perfect the Royal Guard is, showing him taking down a starship by shooting a blaster pistol through the cockpit, and taking out the pilot in one shot. It is also heavily implied that 2 Royal Guard would be capable of killing Ferus Olin. Not at peak power, of course, but even when he wasn’t at peak power Ferus Olin was amazingly powerful. Superhuman combat abilities are a hall mark of the Legends Royal Guard.

Rey is basically a Mary Sue and her stats and feats are accomplishment of plot and agenda
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agrv2385 wrote: »

I can still see JJ Abrams change it but eh. This should’ve stayed the story of a Skywalker I mean Ben solo is the other main star but still...

nah i agree. but for those thinkin that rian had this all planned out from the jump and that he has some secret reveal in mind for rey. He said himself what they do with it they next movie is up the JJ. cuz he know he ? up with that weak ass reveal move. Speaking of.....

Rotten Tomatoes Says Last Jedi User Score is Accurate

“We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine. They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that, everything is normal and we don’t see any unusual activity. We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films.”

“I can’t explain why there’s such a disparity. How we take this is that people are super passionate about this movie. On the positive side, our site is popular, and it has become an important platform for debate and discussion.”
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And yes failure is a running theme.but rose and Finn's mission really was a success because they inspired new rebels with the kid.

Oh great we gotta wait 15 years for six 7 year olds to be old enough to fight.

This was just a bad movie, tried too hard to be funny and was hella corny.

Like this chick literally said with her dying words “we don’t win by fighting what we hate, we win by saving what we love”. LOLOL LIKE R U SERIOUS!!
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

And yes failure is a running theme.but rose and Finn's mission really was a success because they inspired new rebels with the kid.

Oh great we gotta wait 15 years for six 7 year olds to be old enough to fight.

This was just a bad movie, tried too hard to be funny and was hella corny.

Like this chick literally said with her dying words “we don’t win by fighting what we hate, we win by saving what we love”. LOLOL LIKE R U SERIOUS!!

I know a ? wrote that line. Like i know a pair of ? and ovaries was in the script writing session like "Imma ? em with this one"
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They both had visions

The Red guard

As in Legends the Royal Guard are immensely powerful. With highly resistant battle armor, along with lightsaber resistant force pikes that when turned on high could shock the entire nervous system of anything smaller than a Bantha, and on it’s lowest setting incapacitate a wookie. It should also be mentioned that the force pike was not just an Electroshockstaff, but also a vibro weapon, able to cut through armor like butter, and dismember someone with just a tap. Not only this, but they are highly trained in hand to hand combat when disarmed, which is an extremely rare occurence. It has also been shown that a single Royal Guard showing up can turn the tides of a battle within mere minutes. A comic book details the losing battle of an imperial remnant, when an RG shows up and just absolutely destroys the opposing forces. My favorite panel of this comic displays how perfect the Royal Guard is, showing him taking down a starship by shooting a blaster pistol through the cockpit, and taking out the pilot in one shot. It is also heavily implied that 2 Royal Guard would be capable of killing Ferus Olin. Not at peak power, of course, but even when he wasn’t at peak power Ferus Olin was amazingly powerful. Superhuman combat abilities are a hall mark of the Legends Royal Guard.

Rey is basically a Mary Sue and her stats and feats are accomplishment of plot and agenda

Where the ? you get all this from?! Man I don’t know ? about Star Wars.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They both had visions

The Red guard

He's a nerd
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    After thinking on it a day or 2... this movie was trash. I started thinking back to the story elements they setup in force awakens... this movie basically said, “yeah ? all that.”

I like Jon Boyega and the Finn character, but he’s being wasted. Daisy Ridley is an ok actress, but Rey is meh...

They did better with Kylo Ren’ s character here at least. They want to make Poe cool, but he a herb. I hate how happy he is when he sees Finn or BB8.

They set Leia up like she strong in the force, but did nothing of consequence with it.

Snoke... smh. Should’ve let him catch the fade with Kylo and Rey, properly.

Luke was wasted. I don’t mind that he died. I thought he should have anyway. His showdown with Kylo should’ve been epic and they almost had it, then... nope.

Yeah. Not feelin this ? . Revenge of the Sith and Clone Wars cartoon is the best of the Star Wars saga. Rest of this ? I couldn’t care less about
  • loch121
    Options

They both had visions

The Red guard

He's a nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CIYR_XgBSY