The Offical Mad Men Season-5 Thread: The GOAT TV Show is back... Breaking Who???

Options

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good to see someone from bayside still out here eating
  • Matt-
    Options
    Nvm...forgot about screech
  • Matt-
    Options
    ? ethered Pete in unprecedented fashion
  • kacee139
    kacee139 Members Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many L's can Pete take smh.... he aint got 1 player bone in his body, he needs to stick to the square life. I dont think Don and Megan's marriage is gon last... wont be surprised if Don goes back to his old habits wit the ladies
  • truth_juice
    truth_juice Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking that dudes wife was sending Pete a positive sign? I know she hit the erase with the window but I thought maybe it was so hubby wouldnt see it. Then again I'm prolly the only person surprised they had power windows in the 60's. Iono
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking that dudes wife was sending Pete a positive sign? I know she hit the erase with the window but I thought maybe it was so hubby wouldnt see it. Then again I'm prolly the only person surprised they had power windows in the 60's. Iono

Yea thats what I thought

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are no "bad" episodes of Mad Men, but this one was the least interesting all season for me. Something about the whole episode just felt...off. Maybe its because the previous were so strong. And I just didn't need another Megan centric episode.

Don and Peggy's interactions, both on the phone and at the pitch, were the only real highlight for me.
  • Matt-
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Nah she was definitely telling Pete to ? off.

And I don't think Pete will ? himself. Especially after last episode, it would be way too obvious. I think the references to suicide are just to show how sad and unfulfilled his life has become
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can see the numbers 666 on the window of SCDP just as Don is looking down the elevator shaft.
  • OceanState
    OceanState Members Posts: 203
    Options
    I wanted to ? Peggy during that terrible presentation they put on
  • imm0rt4l
    Options
  • truth_juice
    truth_juice Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pete lost is the new nas lost

Pete = Jamal
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »
    r3KnX.jpg

I took this scene to mean that for Don there is no way out. Megan had just got on the elevator and gone down, and Don hits the button to go down and the door opens and there's nothing there but an empty shaft. I think it was the writer saying Don will never and can never leave the business, its his life and he's not free to decide differently like Megan is.
  • imm0rt4l
    edited May 2012
    Options
    ^^I took it to mean there may be no going after Megan, and also that ? may be going down really soon.
    pete lost is the new nas lost

Pete = Jamal
    wee-bey-gif.gif
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete taking Ls outchea. i think that girl sending him positive vibes though...why the heart? I think she may just be playing with him, she's a bored unfulfilled housewife, maybe she feels the need to ruin the life of one of her husbands friends for entertainment.

Joan stay keepin it real, she GOAT. I like the newer Roger, keepin it trilla
  • Matt-
    Options
    the heart was erased. i think that was more about sending a message to Pete, instead of just not letting her husband see it.

its showing that Pete wanted to be the one in control of his affair, and instead of being the player, he just got played.
  • focus
    Options
    Use of Beatles song cost 'Mad Men' $250,000
    By Rolling Stone

"Mad Men" creator Matthew ? paid $250,000 in licensing fees to use the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" in last Sunday's episode of "Mad Men," the New York Times reports. It has become notoriously difficult to license the band's music for television, but ? felt the high cost was worthwhile because it was thematically and chronologically consistent with the setting of the show, which takes place in the mid-'60s.

"It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of the Beatles performing," ? told the Times, noting that previously attempts to license Beatles music on the show had been declined by Apple Corps. "Not just someone singing their song or a version of their song, but them, doing a song in the show. It always felt to me like a flaw. Because they are the band, probably, of the 20th century."
    ? declined to discuss the specifics of the deal, but noted that he understands why Beatles music comes at such a high price point for television licensing. "Whatever people think, this is not about money," says ? . "It never is. They are concerned about their legacy and their artistic impact." In order to secure the deal, Weinerhad to share story details with Apple Corps. "It was hard because I had to, writing-wise, commit to the story that I thought was worthy of this incredible opportunity," says ? . "The thing about that song in particular was, the Beatles are, throughout their intense existence, constantly pushing the envelope, and I really wanted to show how far ahead of the culture they were. That song to me is revolutionary, as is that album."

For a sense of scale, most popular songs are licensed to television programs for under $100,000. An episode from the previous season of the show included the Rolling Stones' classic "Satisfaction," which was likely licensed at a similar cost, as the Stones typically demand a high premium for use of their music.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" was used at the end of Sunday night's episode of "Mad Men," "Lady Lazarus." Don Draper is told by his young wife Megan to play her copy of "Revolver," and is instructed to put on that song, the most artistically radical track the band had produced up to that point. The stodgy, conservative Draper is not impressed by the song and turns it off, underscoring a recurring theme through the season that the character is entirely out of touch with youth culture.

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11597208-use-of-beatles-song-cost-mad-men-250000?lite
  • Matt-
    Options
    yeah, i knew when they started playing the Beatles song, they had to come off the hip for it.

250K just to show that Don Draper is officially out of touch
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breh I think Mad Men might just be greatest TV show ever. I don't even know the 60s like that but i feel like this is what it was like.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That interaction between Peggy and Don at the failed pitch was amazing. "I'm not the one you are mad at, so shut up!" Don, with the I eat ass face, goes for a cigarrette. ? just shows how far women, but specifically Peggy, have come in this time period. Peggy = boss.

Also, Peggy is clearly jealous of Megan.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did-the-cool-whip-scientist-on-mad-men-look-familiar-thats-because-he-was-played-by-dennis-haskins-who-was-mr-belding-on-saved-by-the-bell-ac-slater-would-be-very-disappointed-in-beldings-upkeep.jpg

Damn homie....
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breh I think Mad Men might just be greatest TV show ever. I don't even know the 60s like that but i feel like this is what it was like.

Cairo_-_06.jpg&sa=X&ei=72SqT-ydA4rH6AHe6tyYAg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4AQ&usg=AFQjCNEQE5WhCjNt-T28DuG_wHTanScsQg
    RS_20_02_51.jpg
    birmingham_campaign_water_hoses.jpg
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just caught up to this ? ..took a month off in season 3 last month and rushed to catch back up this month

this is probably still my favorite moment of season 5 so far
    http://youtu.be/WPW7_RQmSCU

There will be a black copywriter next season...
  • focus
    edited May 2012
    Options

Also, Peggy is clearly jealous of Megan.

I don't think she was jealous at all. There was never any indication of that. Exactly the opposite really.

I think the new Jewish copy righter might be ? tho.