I have a hard time seeing why Nas is so great.

Options

Comments

• nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TS---so u came up on NAs early music and are now having trouble relating to his new stuff?

imo, a BIG reason why a lot of these rappers are still relevant is the 'nostalgia factor'. i first heard nas on live at the bbq and its been a wrap since---but nas may be the exceptio to that rule....

his new album is not what i exppected but i like the direction he went with it. imo, waaay better than WTT and i only listened to life is good a couple times. nas rhymes are always kinda complex where i can come back 2 years later and listen to a song i memorized and hear something i never noticed before.

give it some time. let the album digest.

• The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess i just lost interest in Nas and find him boring now, Im gonna give his album another spin later maybe I will have a better listening experience this time round, I think my expectations were too high because of all the hype on here.

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No hate i like the guy just find most of his new ? boring, but the real reason I made this thread is because I want to know whats so great about Nas as a lyricist, I just find it hard to understand most of the things he raps, people on here say Nas is killing it but im finding it hard to see how.

For example i was just browsing the lif is good thread and somebody ask if somebody would post afew bars from the album and someone posted this..

"write in my little vignettes, sipping moet
    ? when you vision me, you vision the best
    when i was young the called me olu's son
    now he's nas father, i was the good seed
    he was the wise gardener"

"when you're too hood to be in the hollywood circles
    and you're too rich to be in the hood that birthed you
    and you become better than the legends
    you thought were the greastest
    and out grow the women you thought you would stay with
    life becomes clearer when you wipe down your mirrior"

To which somebody replied..

"oh ? Nas going in"

What are these people seeing that im not? can somebody explain this ? because I feel like im missing the big picture.

Most consecutive wacks for an opening post since the voting system came on the IC?
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why you'all ? on the thread starter?

He asked a legit question and no one's giving him a straight answer. If you'all really feel Nas is as great as you say then it shouldn't be that hard to give a real response.

No need to take up for him. It's obvious that he's not really up on his Hip Hop knowledge about Nas and his music career to ask that question and is possibly trolling.

Fair enough, but what is the answer? I'm curious myself because I'm wondering the same thing. A lot of people list the stuff that Nas does so well, but without some kind of comparison to others, it's a pointless statement.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get the hype behind his new album. It's solid but folks on here have hyped it up like its a classic. Same with Daughters. Cool song but not classic material. With that said Nas is in my top 5
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want you to inhale until your eyeballs are sucked inside your brain and you die a slow and painful death
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    What does him being an eminem fan have to do with anything? If he thinks nas is boring then that's his opinion. IMO nas isn't boring while I consider eminem to be wack, don't get me wrong em is a lyricist by his music is wack to me.
    You can't rationalize with immature people. I respect the t/s opinion but I still disagree with him. There is no need for people coming at his neck with who he listens to.

• SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess i just lost interest in Nas and find him boring now, Im gonna give his album another spin later maybe I will have a better listening experience this time round, I think my expectations were too high because of all the hype on here.
    22 wacks later

FOH
  • blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    T/S just asked a simple question..and people are going in on him...
    well i see nas as a great writer,because he can take something simple
    that we do everyday and make you see it in another way. Like that first verse
    posted. his father olu was a blues man, and a good one. he worked with a lot
    of great music people, and nas wanted to be like him. he was known as olu's son
    but now nas is great and olu is now know as nas father, because he groomed
    him to be great. just something simple, but it's the way he puts it all. and if you
    ever tried to rap or to write, it's not that easy to do. dude has been doing it for 20 yrs
    and can still out spit some of the best. plus he packs a lot into his verses that some
    people can't get at times and it turns them away, and they see it as wack.

'Life is Good' is an adult album dealing with divorce, taxes, and kids.
    Nas is showing that hip hop can be for adults.. imo
    i
  • deemula420
    deemula420 Members Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at ? in here catching feelings about another mans opinion in music

"oh ? ? u said you dont like nas its on now hand me my Vaseline"

Truth be told i Co-sign i think he is a good positive mc but the ? aint no ? or sum ?

1. B.I.G.
    2. Pac
    3. Kiss
    4. Twista
    5.Big K.r.i.t.

• SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ,

Illmatic is a CLASSIC album. That ? got 5 mics in the SOURCE. ? called Nas the second coming of Rakim.

Ether gave the word 'defeat' whole new definition. Said Hip-hop was dead (his 8th album) and ? went ham tryna step their verses up. Word play is impeccable. Stays in ? top 10's all the time.

gonna cop that Life Is Good.
  • choppa_style
    Options
    Lol...so no one has a response to this?

That really makes everyone here look like a fanatic.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ask T/S his background.
    Jamaica wrote: »
    What does him being an eminem fan have to do with anything? If he thinks nas is boring then that's his opinion. IMO nas isn't boring while I consider eminem to be wack, don't get me wrong em is a lyricist by his music is wack to me.

What dies being an Enenim fan have to do with you allowing ShadyTeam to influence your opinion on Emenim and dedicate a thread to her over that fact?

If you have to ask why Nas is so great then nobody should waste time even trying to explain to you.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People like what they like. Not everybody hears and will see everything the same. Nas The GOAT to me, but someone else not liking him is no big deal at all fam.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i thought we came to the consensus that Nasir was a "smart, dumb ? "? Hes Top 5 and all, but he clearly contradicts himself(aka slappin people for Gweneth Paltrow)
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most people are contradictions... We tell our kids "Don't drink or smoke" and we're buying Ciroc and/or weed. That's life.

Nas and his music have grown. From "snuffing Jesus" to "Daughters", he's changed. He's grown. That's what people are supposed to do. At 38 should he still be rapping about "the tek on the dresser"?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    Most people are contradictions... We tell our kids "Don't drink or smoke" and we're buying Ciroc and/or weed. That's life.

Nas and his music have grown. From "snuffing Jesus" to "Daughters", he's changed. He's grown. That's what people are supposed to do. At 38 should he still be rapping about "the tek on the dresser"?

We tell kids not to drink or smoke because they're kids bruh... Once kids become adults we let them make their own desicions... Its been said by other rappers that Nas is a walking contradiction... Dudes a smart dumb ? ...
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

We tell kids not to drink or smoke because they're kids bruh... Once kids become adults we let them make their own desicions... Its been said by other rappers that Nas is a walking contradiction... Dudes a smart dumb ? ...

But it's contradictory when you do something that you tell others not to do... that's the definition of a contradiction...
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel TS, but Nas is a great songmaker and he is fantastic at carrying out themes (Numbers, reverse rapping, etc.)...he isn't so much lyrical as he is good with words. He has a great vocabulary and he is well read he is able to take literature themes and apply them to his content.

These are his best traits to me. Makes him a top 3-7 tapper all-time
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

But it's contradictory when you do something that you tell others not to do... that's the definition of a contradiction...

Yes it is...but theyre kids bruh... we instill principles to children because they dont know better... doesnt make it right, but it doesnt mean the child needs to follow in your footsteps if you know its wrong... The problem is not the contradiction itself... Its the people who think that they can do no wrong that contradicts... Nas the type of ? that tells you how to raise your kids but is in jail for child abuse...
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ using ? that he done 12 years ago and thinking that he was the same person. People change. They grow, they mellow out, and are more open minded.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gave some simple explanation earlier....not even an explanation....but like people have said Nas is one most prolific hip hop writers ever....i dont see how that ? is arguable......if you dont see that ? then its on you.....dude been in the game since 17 basically grew up in this ? .....all that other bs is subjective cats dont like the production i have no problem with it.....if people blow things out of proportion dont take it out on the rapper...lol....out of all the rappers that get hyped up on this site, you only have a problem with nas?...lol
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life Is Good just dropped today. T/s should cop a copy.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ ? explaining themselves to a dude from the uk.
  • choppa_style
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    I gave some simple explanation earlier....not even an explanation....but like people have said Nas is one most prolific hip hop writers ever....i dont see how that ? is arguable......if you dont see that ? then its on you.....dude been in the game since 17 basically grew up in this ? .....all that other bs is subjective cats dont like the production i have no problem with it.....if people blow things out of proportion dont take it out on the rapper...lol....out of all the rappers that get hyped up on this site, you only have a problem with nas?...lol

Where is that explanation? I went through the thread again but don't see it. I must have missed it.

As for what your saying here, it's not on the thread starter to guess why the IC feels the way they do about Nas. Given the level of praise and admiration he gets here it's perfectly reasonable to ask for some kind of explanation.

Otherwise those people are just being fanatics and have worthless opinions, which undermines the point of the forum in the first place.