YEP I DID IT !! Locs/dreadloc appreciation THREAD!!!

Options

Comments

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 in the back and right side

I stopped counting tho
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im not counting but i would guarantee less than 60
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol who no signed me
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ree4er Madness
    Ree4er Madness Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    Its the worse when I step into my crib. For some reason once I step inside my apartment, my scalp just goes into an itch-rage. Without fail every time I get back from outside. This seriously cant be life ~X(

LoL, I feel you bro..I have natural dandriff too so I really went through that itch phase....Also, IMO you don't need to wash your hair so much, the less you wash it, the faster it should loc up....Then when they're locked, you can wash them more often but in general before I started growing them, I was told not to wash them that often and use other products instead...Now that I'm 8 years in, I don't wash them very often, maybe every 6 months.

say g you filthy dena muhfugga lol hair smellin sour dena ?

your hair is locked now you betta wash dat ? outchea smell like buffalo ass

@sixsicksins come educate this dude

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. No hair, regardless of style, should go more than a month and a half without at least getting rinsed.

People tend to forget that the scalp must also be maintained. It produces necessary sebum and leaving the hair/scalp unclean will cause dirt buildup and block pores. That is not conducive to creating a healthy environment whatsoever, which could be the reason your dreads aren't longer @Ree4er Madness. 8 years of growth? Even in spite of individual genetic growth rates, my calculations indicate that your hair should be longer than mine, as I have roughly 5 years of growth. Please begin washing your hair once per month now as a standard seeing as your hair should be fully loc'd now and not in danger of unraveling.

Always remember that hair AND scalp is a package deal...both must be maintained.
    I understand what you're saying. I was going to the Jamaicans when I first started growing my hair and that was the advice I got from them. When I said I wash them every 6 months, I didnt mean that I go the entire 6 months without doing anything to my hair...I have various products to clean/wash my hair in the intermediate stages between the actual full blown washing. My hair has never smelled to my knowledge, I always get compliments on it on a daily basis from the smell, to the texture, to the length. My hair is pretty long now and its due to be twisted since I have new growth. The pic in my profile is about 3 years old, my hair right now probably comes down to my chest. I don't really want it any longer than that.

However, you did educate me on some things, and I appreciate that.

• Ree4er Madness
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »
    Its the worse when I step into my crib. For some reason once I step inside my apartment, my scalp just goes into an itch-rage. Without fail every time I get back from outside. This seriously cant be life ~X(

When I first started I used this....it was ok

321135.jpg

but sea breeze did the trick...use it as a pre-wash or just massage your scalp with it. Try not to use a lot because it does contain alcohol and will dry your hair. But this thing works

$(KGrHqMOKooE32-(S)1-BOCKiLOltw~~_35.JPG

If you wanna go the all natural route you can use apple cider vinegar rinse as someone already mentioned.

That herbal cleanse is the EXACT same thing I used when I started growing them...You can use products like these in between full washings. Its not the same as a full wash but its better than not cleaning your hair at all..
  • Ree4er Madness
    Options

LoL, I feel you bro..I have natural dandriff too so I really went through that itch phase....Also, IMO you don't need to wash your hair so much, the less you wash it, the faster it should loc up....Then when they're locked, you can wash them more often but in general before I started growing them, I was told not to wash them that often and use other products instead...Now that I'm 8 years in, I don't wash them very often, maybe every 6 months.

smh whoever told you to do this lied to you bro, wash your hair ? ...i wonder how many other people you gave this ignant advice to

I wash my ? at least once every 2-3 days... I didn't go to the beauty salon to get my ? done either I twisted it myself and I been washing it faithfully since that first week.

smh You probably got a ton of buildup and sweat and dry skin from all in your locs. You doing your scalp a disservice, my man...Washing your hair actually promotes growth and locking

Don't disgrace every dreadhead by playing into the stereotype that our hair stinks and is ?

Damn, thought this was the loc thread, I didn't think I had to explain EVERY detail...You really think I would go 8 years and NEVER maintain my hair? I'm talking about a full blown wash, in the shower forever type of wash..No, I don't have ANY buildup, no I don't have ANY issues with my hair. My mother is a hairdresser and has been my entire life so its not like I'm just out here clueless. Sixsix has her professional opinion and I appreciate it. Pretty sure I wouldn't have the professional job I have now where I'm typing this right now if I was just some ? dude with some long, ? filthy hair flying all over the place...I have a variety of hair products I use in between washes to keep my hair maintained...At the end of the day, EVERYBODY'S HAIR IS DIFFERENT....Yes, people can give you their professional opinion but the main opinion that matters is YOURS after learning how your hair is, what works and what doesn't. I'm 8 years in at this point and I know what works for MY hair...Again, sixsix facts are appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
  • Ree4er Madness
    Options
    Question for everybody; How many locs yall got?

I counted mine yesterday, I got 141 smh thats waaaay too many, honestly aint think I had that many.

I'm a start freforming anyway so they gone connect up

I have around 80 or so. But mine are thick. People often tell me I have the "real" dreads, lol..whatever that means...
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    All this talk about washing and ? made me realize I hadn't gave my hair a good rinsing this month

2dqjyup.jpg

Tried my best @MzKB‌ swag
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i got an eye showing though
  • MzKB
    Options
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »
    All this talk about washing and ? made me realize I hadn't gave my hair a good rinsing this month

2dqjyup.jpg

Tried my best @MzKB‌ swag

Bruh take a bath
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @MzKB‌ I tried the shea moisture shampoo and conditioner, it did an awesome job. My hair is extra soft
  • MzKB
    Options
    that's what's up!
  • Chi Snow
    edited May 2014
    Options
    How do you guys typically wash your hair?

I only wash and condition it a few times a yrs and found myself palming rolling the shampoo and rinsing a section of my hair this time due to them being much longer than when I washed them in Jan. Not sure if I should have maybe just scrubbed them all together or what
  • OhMars
    Options
    I wash and condition my hair very two to three weeks, using a clarifying shampoo, a moisturizing shampoo, and conditioner. I wash twice with the clarifying scratching my scalp and working the shampoo from scalp to the ends of the hair. The moisturizing shampoo gets one rinse no scratch. Last is the conditioner, same as the moisturizing but I let it sit for a little bit before rinsing, but I don't rinse all of it out 100%
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @nulife how do you wash yourself
  • dreadedbwoy661
    dreadedbwoy661 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jamaican Mango and Lime Products. Particularly the tingle shampoo, locking gel, no more itch spray and lock gro.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    I been trying to get my ? retwisted for 3 weeks

got like 3 inches of new growth doing nothing
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »
    I been trying to get my ? retwisted for 3 weeks

got like 3 inches of new growth doing nothing
    afro with dreads ass ? .
    For real. I can't stand it

Makes it worst that I grew out the color
  • OhMars
    Options
    @Black_Samson‌ Bro, are you wearing an apron?

How long does your hair have to be to get a ponytail with the hair hanging at the bottom, I need that ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • OhMars
    Options
    Nah not yet, unless that motherfuker is going to be on the top of my head like a topknot