Nas vs. Rakim...has the student surpassed the teacher??

Options
Lustchyld
Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in The Reason
Don't just sit there, vote...

Nas vs. Rakim...has the student surpassed the teacher?? 73 votes

Nas
87%
verbal jukedwade206nawledge_godscrapper1infamous114the ghostTrillaaaaaafortyacres$ineedmoney$MarcusGarveyqawshungman82mryounggunclairvoyanceCJillestni99ainnetompetrez3Kwan DaiBig JamesGlockLesnar 64 votes
Rakim
12%
the best 1The_ManMR BUDsoulbrotherLustchyldraheemclassicksmp4lifeikey_baby Jaydan014 9 votes

Comments

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Both in my top 5 but I gotta go with NAS. IMO Nas has better albums than Rakim
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Jaydan014
    Jaydan014 Members Posts: 229
    Options
    Rakim
    No Rakim is better and makes the better music. Paid In Full is still better than any Nas album
  • Lustchyld
    Options
    Rakim
    As much of a Nas fan as I am, Rakim pioneered so much and I think affected more emcees style all things considered. Kinda like the Kobe/Jordan debate. Nas has had a brilliant career for the most part but Rakim never really played himself/sold out and although he doesn't drop regularly now, I'd bet anything he hasn't lost a step.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    InB4 OG 5 Grand come through.....
  • Jaydan014
    Jaydan014 Members Posts: 229
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Rakim
    MENACE... wrote: »
    Jaydan014 wrote: »
    No Rakim is better and makes the better music. Paid In Full is still better than any Nas album

Paid in Full better than illmatic? Rakim isnt as versatile as Nas is when it comes to subject matter.

try again

Yes Paid In Full is better than Illmatic which is Nas best album. Everything Nas has rapped about Rakim has rapped about. They have both covered the same subject matter on songs. So i dunno what u talking about. THey both have the same strengths which are technical rapping, complex rapping, intricate rhyming, flow. Both are spitters rather than musicians. But Rakim is the better
  • Lustchyld
    Options
    Rakim
    Esco running away with the poll...re-up
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Lustchyld wrote: »
    As much of a Nas fan as I am, Rakim pioneered so much and I think affected more emcees style all things considered. Kinda like the Kobe/Jordan debate. Nas has had a brilliant career for the most part but Rakim never really played himself/sold out and although he doesn't drop regularly now, I'd bet anything he hasn't lost a step.

When has nas sold out?
  • Lustchyld
    Options
    Rakim

When has nas sold out?

ummmm...ever since IWW cats been saying he compromised for more record sales. Hell, even Biggie had that rhyme going at Nas where he was like "mcs was on some cruddy ? , heard ready to die, studied ? " (something to that effect). Then he started doing tracks wit Diddy, not to mention his infamous "you owe me" song which (although I personally think it's a cool cut) made many people (namely Jigga) look at him as a hypocrite after making "black girl lost" and ? like that. Nas's contradictions have always caused debate as far as the consistency/authenticity of his vision.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh, I think G Rap influenced Nas more.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nas
    Not even gonna vote on this one but I'm a say this.....Rakim is Nas father

EDIT: I voted
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Nas
    The ? is the point of typing "ummmm"? Anyway

So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out? And don't bring up the content on the whole album cause it's not like illmatic was on some pro black positively ? either. 2, making a record with diddy is selling out now? That's dumb as ? and 3, that owe me vs black girl lost is weak. But let me ask you, is Tupac a sell out?
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim
    Rakim is the better mc to me.
  • Lustchyld
    Options
    Rakim

So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out? And don't bring up the content on the whole album cause it's not like illmatic was on some pro black positively ? either. 2, making a record with diddy is selling out now? That's dumb as ? and 3, that owe me vs black girl lost is weak. But let me ask you, is Tupac a sell out?

what does this have to do with 2pac?? also, explain Biggie's line if I'm talking out my ass

• Lustchyld
    Options
    Rakim
    Eh, I think G Rap influenced Nas more.

perhaps on subject matter, but technique is all Rakim

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Verse for Verse, lyric for lyric they're about even.

However, Nas did more with his career. He got better production and made more albums.

Rakim took a hiatus in the mid 90s while Nas, Big and Pac were blowing up. Then he came back in 1997 with The 18th Letter which was cool but it didn't compare to what Puffy was doing in the mainstream (No Way Out/Life After Death) or what spitters like Wu Tang were doing in the underground (Wu tang Forever).

Rakim didn't fall off lyrically, but ever since he broke up with Eric B he hasn't reached his full potential. Back in High school I thought Eric B was the weak link, But when you look back at Rakim's career he made his best music with Eric B. Everybody thought when he went solo he was going to drop the bomb but his solo work has been more like a firecracker than a bomb.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Catalog wise its a no brainer for me. Rakim is the pioneer but Nas has surpassed him I'd say. Both legendary of course
  • ikey_baby
    ikey_baby Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Options
    Rakim

Paid in Full better than illmatic? Rakim isnt as versatile as Nas is when it comes to subject matter.

try again

Dude nas is not better than rakim everything nas has done today is all due to the ? mc. Rakim never compromised his music for mainstream success. That why its easy to say such things like nas is better. Just because nas had alot more success & has more notable material doesnt mean he is better. Paid in full is just as much of a classic as illmatic is. Illmatic was more impactful because of its youthfulness. Around that time mc's like jay,big,rea,ghost,mobb were just hitting the seen. Illmatic was like the introduction to that era. But bar for bar classic for classic impact for impact the ? mc birthed nas period. He is the ? mc for a reason.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Nas

what does this have to do with 2pac?? also, explain Biggie's line if I'm talking out my ass

Smh cause you just basically described Tupac

And yes biggie was talking out of his ass and since you're sitting here not forming your own so are you. Can you explain how exactly it was written sounds like nas took biggie style in the first place?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    ikey_baby wrote: »

try again

Dude nas is not better than rakim everything nas has done today is all due to the ? mc. Rakim never compromised his music for mainstream success. That why its easy to say such things like nas is better. Just because nas had alot more success & has more notable material doesnt mean he is better. Paid in full is just as much of a classic as illmatic is. Illmatic was more impactful because of its youthfulness. Around that time mc's like jay,big,rea,ghost,mobb were just hitting the seen. Illmatic was like the introduction to that era. But bar for bar classic for classic impact for impact the ? mc birthed nas period. He is the ? mc for a reason.

I hear what your saying, but Rakim took a 5 year hiatus in the mid 90s and Nas came in and snatched the crown.

In the mid 90s, we used to argue all day about who was the GOAT, was it KRS or Rakim? Those were the two choices and every once in a while somebody would throw another name into the conversation but generally speaking those were the two choices, Rakim or KRS.

But Rakim didn't come with the classic 5 mic album. He made us wait for 5 years and dropped a 3.5 mic album.

It may sound silly now, but his debut solo album would have been better with one or two Puff Daddy tracks and one or two Beats By The Pound tracks. And maybe a RZA track.

The same way Puffy Executive Produced Life After Death, that's how Rakim's album should have sounded. A few commercial tracks, a few underground tracks and everything else right in the middle.
  • Lustchyld
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Rakim

Smh cause you just basically described Tupac

And yes biggie was talking out of his ass and since you're sitting here not forming your own so are you. Can you explain how exactly it was written sounds like nas took biggie style in the first place?

Look Biggie said the ? while you getting all defensive smh. But to humor you, the Escobar/Mafioso ? Nas was on at the time (especially with the Firm and all) was out of character to some extent considering the person he portrayed himself to be on Illmatic. Biggie felt he was swagger jackin the k.o.n.y. ? . I ain't even gonna entertain the 2pac comparison though so miss me with that.

• ikey_baby
    ikey_baby Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Options
    Rakim
    Any rapper who can not utter one cuss word or gun bar in his rhymes & still be one of the hardest rappers of all time Is the best ever imo. Dude was basically a gangsta rapper without the gangsta content.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Rakim is top 5 DOA no doubt but Nas has had the better career and has been more consistent throughout his career.

Rakim is dope but Nas is just better