The Mask You Live In (a study of masculinity) (trailer)

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    BEAM wrote: »
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

This ? is deeper than crying.

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.

I see where you're coming from, and these kids dont feel, they know nobody cares...
    When u live in a society where, there's more money going into building prisons, than schools, or better housings, n communities.then these kids know .
    These kids are damaged because of the enviroment theyre from. No words of encouragement n listening will fully help a child permantely, if they have to go back to the same ? up enviroments. Its actually tougher .
    The common denominator is fixing these kids enviroment. Instead of focusing on how these kids are acting, we should focus on why .

Their environment is what is pressing upon them, all types of maladaptive behaviors are being branded "manliness" and creating this false sense of hyper-masculinity as being normative and expected.
  • jono
    Options
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.

WELL for those boys they would need serious mental help because clearly the home situation is ? up. I am speaking of the average boy from the average american family he does not need to be turned into a panty waste men/boys have always found ways to express emotion when needed we don't need any social experiment to teach us anything leave ? alone.

What the hell is the "average boy, from the average American family"?

the child of a happy marriage or a child with both decent parents around and there is no excessive drama most of these thugs you believe are carrying around confused little boys inside don't come from good families.

and on a side note i don't believe it's always a good thing to try and help children too overcome every emotional issue they face. let them learn constructive ways to deal with emotional issue on their own.

Reality is kids, specifically boys, are being socialized into sociopathic behavior by each other (peer pressure, bullying and the like) and their elders. You can talk about parenting all day but a kid will try to fit in with his environment everytime.

leave the kids alone. surviving bullying breeds character in the real world there will always be bullies and learning to resist peer pressure is also something we learn as we get older. i will say once again leave the ? kids alone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280625/Bullying-good-children-Study-finds-fight-popular.html

You choosing to not deal with the issue. Some kids fight back and all is well, some kids shoot up schools, some join gangs, how they get there isn't on their own but what they are taught.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Explain.

a boys idea of manhood should not be coming directly from society - their father should be the filter.

this movie seems to reinforce that societies definition of manhood is fucced - but turns a blind eye to the real root cause(s). only pointing out 'bullying tactics' gives little insight

at the end of the night - you have to bring up parenting because kids cannot raise themselves to be healthy adults
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WELL for those boys they would need serious mental help because clearly the home situation is ? up. I am speaking of the average boy from the average american family he does not need to be turned into a panty waste men/boys have always found ways to express emotion when needed we don't need any social experiment to teach us anything leave ? alone.

the child of a happy marriage or a child with both decent parents around and there is no excessive drama most of these thugs you believe are carrying around confused little boys inside don't come from good families.

and on a side note i don't believe it's always a good thing to try and help children too overcome every emotional issue they face. let them learn constructive ways to deal with emotional issue on their own.

Reality is kids, specifically boys, are being socialized into sociopathic behavior by each other (peer pressure, bullying and the like) and their elders. You can talk about parenting all day but a kid will try to fit in with his environment everytime.

leave the kids alone. surviving bullying breeds character in the real world there will always be bullies and learning to resist peer pressure is also something we learn as we get older. i will say once again leave the ? kids alone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280625/Bullying-good-children-Study-finds-fight-popular.html

You choosing to not deal with the issue. Some kids fight back and all is well, some kids shoot up schools, some join gangs, how they get there isn't on their own but what they are taught.

i am not seeing an issue some kids will fall by the wayside things have pretty much always been this way and MOST boys grew up to be perfectly fine men. leave it alone.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hyper masculine society?

Where are Yall getting this from?

Men has gotten some feminine over the last 25 years.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see where you're coming from, and these kids dont feel, they know nobody cares...
    When u live in a society where, there's more money going into building prisons, than schools, or better housings, n communities.then these kids know .
    These kids are damaged because of the enviroment theyre from. No words of encouragement n listening will fully help a child permantely, if they have to go back to the same ? up enviroments. Its actually tougher .
    The common denominator is fixing these kids enviroment. Instead of focusing on how these kids are acting, we should focus on why .

Their environment is what is pressing upon them, all types of maladaptive behaviors are being branded "manliness" and creating this false sense of hyper-masculinity as being normative and expected.

That false sense of masculinity is created to counter act the fact that young black males n darker skinned latinos r being emasculated . Its a defense mechanism. Ppl wanna focus on the defensive mechanism, instead of why there's a defensive mechanism in the 1st place..
  • jono
    Options

That false sense of masculinity is created to counter act the fact that young black males n darker skinned latinos r being emasculated . Its a defense mechanism. Ppl wanna focus on the defensive mechanism, instead of why there's a defensive mechanism in the 1st place..

And all this is based on.....?

i am not seeing an issue some kids will fall by the wayside things have pretty much always been this way and MOST boys grew up to be perfectly fine men. leave it alone.

Suicides inclining, violence more disproportionate than ever before, mental illness, alcoholism, drug abuse....I guess that's okay?

• jono
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Hyper masculine society?

Where are Yall getting this from?

Men has gotten some feminine over the last 25 years.

You might want to pay closer attention.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Suicides inclining, violence more disproportionate than ever before, mental illness, alcoholism, drug abuse....I guess that's okay?
    Those things are not on the increase because boys are aggressive or prideful boys have always been like that. And violence and crime has been falling not increasing
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Women beat their kids as much as men do so really they contribute to violence in society as much as men.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Women beat their kids as much as men do so really they contribute to violence in society as much as men.

Some feminists would say that's because of patriarchy
  • jono
    Options
    aka_OG wrote: »

Explain.

a boys idea of manhood should not be coming directly from society - their father should be the filter.

this movie seems to reinforce that societies definition of manhood is fucced - but turns a blind eye to the real root cause(s). only pointing out 'bullying tactics' gives little insight

at the end of the night - you have to bring up parenting because kids cannot raise themselves to be healthy adults

The logic is faulty because where do you think the father gets his ideals of manhood from? It's an infinite chain in theory but it's been proven time and time again that environment (society) plays a rather large role in a child's development.

Now family/parents often are apart of that environment and have high levels of input but the fact remains daddy ain't holding your hand all day, when a kid (I'm talking teenagers here) is in a situation where his manhood is being questioned because he won't smoke that weed or fight, or steal, something of that nature. He may not do it but he will certainly be teased for not doing it, just as he may be for. not having the in vogue clothes or shoes...

Also Kids spend less and less time at home and more time with their friends as they get older, it is this time where they begin forming ideas who they are as individuals in relation to their environment. They may begin internalizing negative labels, mimicking negative imagery, bending to peer pressure trying to find themselves.

So we can sit here and lay it all on parents but it ignores the broad context of where this stuff really comes from.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So black men are not constantly emasculated in this society???
    Okay i see what the dealing is.

2.Suicides, violence more disproportionate than ever before, mental illness, alcoholism, drug abuse....I guess that's okay?

Now its clear u have an agenda. U not even conversing. u just copying n pasting from the pamphlet .
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's easy to put behaviors in packages and slap a neat, well written label on em. Masculinity isn't the issue.

It's the ? the media has done to masculinity that's the problem. Corporations have spent billions of dollars to sell masculinity all whilst playing the other side of the fence.

Movies, money and mayhem are thrown into the arena and our children are forced to fight for their identity amongst the chaos.

What we're really dealing with isn't a mask of masculinity but a lack of tradition, respect and integrity.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The logic is faulty because where do you think the father gets his ideals of manhood from? It's an infinite chain in theory but it's been proven time and time again that environment (society) plays a rather large role in a child's development.

Now family/parents often are apart of that environment and have high levels of input but the fact remains daddy ain't holding your hand all day, when a kid (I'm talking teenagers here) is in a situation where his manhood is being questioned because he won't smoke that weed or fight, or steal, something of that nature. He may not do it but he will certainly be teased for not doing it, just as he may be for. not having the in vogue clothes or shoes...

Also Kids spend less and less time at home and more time with their friends as they get older, it is this time where they begin forming ideas who they are as individuals in relation to their environment. They may begin internalizing negative labels, mimicking negative imagery, bending to peer pressure trying to find themselves.

So we can sit here and lay it all on parents but it ignores the broad context of where this stuff really comes from.

i agree society is a big influence. disagree its the biggest in a childs life. the environment with the biggest influence is their home

a child with good parenting is better equipped in dealing with the world then one who has little to none.

in this case a boy learning about manhood from a man who himself went through the same process with his pops v. being fed to the wolves called life to figure ish out
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good ? .

This sort of stuff needs to be said. And young black men, especially, need to hear it.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I apologize for the mini essay, but I think it's worth reading

In order to find out what the purpose behind this Documentary is, you have to look at the filmmaker and the producers

The person behind the documentary is this woman, Jennifer Siebel Newsom
    miss-representation-1.jpg

She is founder and CEO of The Representation Project
    which is a film studio that finances it's own projects with the purpose of "deconstructing" gender stereotypes"

Now she doesn't have to come outright and say she's a feminist, but actions speak louder than words. One of the main feminist goals is the "deconstructing of masculinity" feminists believe that a way to achieve their objectives is to remove the threat of staunch resistance that would come from rebellious males. Feminist believe that the ideal and default behaviors of people are feminine and that the rugged, rebellious, aggressive natures of males are a put on or constructed and thus invalid. Feminist try to promulgate the fact that their is essentially no difference between males and females, and the shift is making normal feminine behaviors the default, and making "masculine behavior" an outlier and perhaps even a mental disorder, which is why you heard Depression linked to masculinity numerous times just in the trailer.

The objective is to essentially make boys more like girls, and successful boys are those that act more like girls. You see this is the school systems, where the learning style is more suited to females, rote memorization, sitting in desks all day. Boys are high energy, and it gets expressed in various ways, including aggression.
    Emasculated boys, boys that are told that aggression, rebellion, "to be a man" are males that are later in life more easily controlled, thus you have a more easily controlled environment.

You basically have Boys who are hitting puberty experiencing an sudden onrush of chemicals in their bodies and they spend the next years of their lives learning how to navigate these feelings. Testosterone naturally makes us aggressive, more rebellious. The problem that we have is our "Boys Culture" is that we do not have a Rite of Passage from Boyhood to Manhood, so essentially young males are left vulnerable to negative messages or conditioning.

Be a Man is not a toxic phrase, because that is essentially what that boy is going to become.

Now her husband, Gavin Newsom, is the current lt gov of California, and before that was mayor of San Francisco, he has obvious ambitions to be governor of California, and perhaps even higher political ambitions beyond that.

Gavin_Newsom_Lieutenant_Gov.jpg

These two things may seem to be unrelated, but if you believe that a husband and wife team act without coordination one to another, that is foolish thinking.

I know that you trust White people, far as you can throw them. I know that White ? are more devious than their male counterparts, and the white feminist is least trustworthy of all white ? .

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    If your son wants to cry while watching lifetime and bake cakes embrace that ? b
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    the mask is there for a reason and should stay, the kind of masculinity these people are against is childish masculinity, undeveloped masculinity. It is a needed part stop on the journey to manhood and full masculinity some won't make it but the weak perish that's the all pervading law of nature.

the bold are direct contradictions of each other. A sign of maturity is being able to walk around without a mask, comfortable in who you are and not letting other people's comments about who you are overreact emotionally but instead logically.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the base level you have to break this all down to is the type of economic system, and thus de facto survival system, that America operates on.

A lot of these aggressive attitudes are handed down by men who are being forced to look out for themselves and families first. They impart the ideals they feel the younger men will need to carry with them to make it in a "me first" survival system. Even if they'd like to be "let's all get along and work together," you still have to be looking over your shoulder and making sure you don't get taken advantage of or shortchanged. The system is set up to benefit cutthroat and aggressive behavior, even when these actions aren't necessarily physical or violent.

If the majority of people become passive, it just makes it that much easier for the aggressive ones to come and take what they want, especially those that have positioned themselves to power (the filmmaker's husband is multimillionaire businessman and high level politician, see how this all seems to tie together a bit.)

The conditioning they're suggesting would be fine in a different societal structure, but here, all I think they're really going to do is do what xxCivicxx said "produce better worker drones" and make people more easy to push around. Because honestly, these people aren't making this doc or pushing these ideas out of the goodness of their heart either.
    Who does the end result benefit most??

Now none of this is to say that we don't have problems to address on the subject, I'm simply speaking on this trailer and its message/motives for now.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    p-tavern wrote: »
    I think the base level you have to break this all down to is the type of economic system, and thus de facto survival system, that America operates on.

A lot of these aggressive attitudes are handed down by men who are being forced to look out for themselves and families first. They impart the ideals they feel the younger men will need to carry with them to make it in a "me first" survival system. Even if they'd like to be "let's all get along and work together," you still have to be looking over your shoulder and making sure you don't get taken advantage of or shortchanged. The system is set up to benefit cutthroat and aggressive behavior, even when these actions aren't necessarily physical or violent.

If the majority of people become passive, it just makes it that much easier for the aggressive ones to come and take what they want, especially those that have positioned themselves to power (the filmmaker's husband is multimillionaire businessman and high level politician, see how this all seems to tie together a bit.)

The conditioning they're suggesting would be fine in a different societal structure, but here, all I think they're really going to do is do what xxCivicxx said "produce better worker drones" and make people more easy to push around. Because honestly, these people aren't making this doc or pushing these ideas out of the goodness of their heart either.
    Who does the end result benefit most??

Now none of this is to say that we don't have problems to address on the subject, I'm simply speaking on this trailer and its message/motives for now.

In general I share a similar opinion about this topic with the OP and people who've made posts in this thread that shares the same perspective, however admittedly I'd be lying if I said your post - specifically the bolded didn't contain a kernel of truth. You've definitely raised a salient point.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of ya'll focus on the effects instead of the actual causes which is the exact recipe for consistent failure when problem solving

Feminism destroys everything it touches(from whole societies down to black male/female dynamics) yet you ? still embrace it while feminists continue to ? on and villify y'all. Many feminists believe that the black male is essentially the boogeyman, they are not trying to help you no matter how much you play nice
  • jono
    Options

So black men are not constantly emasculated in this society???

... based on?
  • jono
    Options
    It's easy to put behaviors in packages and slap a neat, well written label on em. Masculinity isn't the issue.

It's the ? the media has done to masculinity that's the problem. Corporations have spent billions of dollars to sell masculinity all whilst playing the other side of the fence.

Movies, money and mayhem are thrown into the arena and our children are forced to fight for their identity amongst the chaos.

What we're really dealing with isn't a mask of masculinity but a lack of tradition, respect and integrity.
    Hmmmm that's a good point actually. I think media has a pretty big role in shaping what we consider masculinity to be.

Real Men drive certain cars.
    Real Men eat certain foods.
    Real Men have certain kinds of jobs...etc.

If we are talking about let's say...violent music, video games or movies I think it has a place at the discussion table. I'm not a fan of the concept that these things cause the behaviors we are discussing but they do put forth certain images that we can associate with these behaviors.

• PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason black men are told to act like a man is because we have faced so much ? . Look at the african american man in america. Back in slavery he had to do back breaking work. He had to deal with a cracka whipping him and treating.him like a caged animal. He had to deal with his wife,sister,mother,aunt,cousin, daughter being ? by the slave master. Then later on he had to deal with jim crow,lynchings,racism,war on drug, and now the racist criminal justice system. When you have all of this you can't be thinking about taping into your emotion. You have to persevere,be calm,having a cool head when the game is hot.

Women are wired to act on emotion because they have maternal instincts. That is why we love our moms because she always love us no matter what. Men we have testosterone and that makes us naturally agressive competitve. Our job is to face this ? world and persevere. That is why we love sports,fighting,being sucessful. As men it is our job to be the bedrock for our family. This was.taught.by me by my haitian family.

I do not trust the white feminist cuz they were one of the major reasons that led to the destruction of the black panther party in the 60s. Brainwashing black women that blacken are no good. Meanwhile huey newton made strides to accept gaus and women.