Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Its some odd ? going on in here.
    ? like "African Americans have no culture"but every time I turn around I see white folks sectioning our ? off from theirs

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

But ? don't have culture because of..rites of passage? ? what are Chinese rights or passage? What are Japanese rights of passage? Russian, English, Irish etc very few societies still focus on that archaic ? .

But it doesn't matter because just like white folks think these weirdo ? believe Blacks in America have never done anything...ever. Anything we have ever done is attributed to either Africa, Whites or some Islanders even if its a massive ? reach. Lol

This ? a troll thread disguised as a debate.

african americans do have a culture but you did not create hip-hop by yourself there is no reach in that it's just the reality of history.

How you gonna take credit or give credit to other people for something that took place in NEW YORK by NEW YORKERS? You people who are immersed in the culture of the city of NEW YORK.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the cultural studies have been done about African Americans. the world agrees its a very real culture. a few here don't. examples of a language, traditions, customs, beliefs, and habits are there. some have been talked about and some have not. the focus in this thread has been music.

OG is correct...y'all really don't wanna give AA credit for anything. someone else started it or they heavily influenced it. unique culture? there is no such thing anywhere. all cultures take from somewhere.

here is a really ? up thing about African Americans. we are the only people who enjoy breaking down our people. we will even sit around and applaud other people for breaking us down.

hey man y'all know better than the world. we aint culture. we aint ?

That's ? i already have AA'S CREDIT for alot of ? but hip-hop did not come together only under african american hands.

blues, jazz,soul etc etc nobody can take that away from you that's clearly yours and everybody on the planet loves those art forms. Not to mention that in my mind the greatest black writers have been african american BUT hip-hop was really a coming together of different blacks

nah ? u have took plenty of shots at us. to be honest the way y'all just kept going back and forth about hip hop was a great thread derail and straight disrespectful to the African american culture.

y'all can carry on..i'm good

quote me dissing african americans in this thread??? you can't do it can you???

? .. the whole hip hop discussion was disrespectful. u aint add anything to this damn thread. u been on some AA's aint create hip hop since like page 2. now u wanna derail the thread again on some quote me kiddie ? ?

nah I said I'm good before u ass even get started...smh

it's disrespectful telling you the truth??? what you want me to say that african american by themselves created hip-hop culture even through there is more than enough proof that that is not the truth. the real disrespect would be me lying to you. ? always want to bring up ? then when what to back down from it

I have no idea what the phrase back down means. I don't play games either. the hip hop back and forth was straight trash. a real ? move to derail this thread. u had nothing of value to add to this discussion.

I said carry on. I also said im good. I don't ? with certain types of ? . u one of ? that cant be told ? . y'all know everything. its no reason for me to go back and forth with u. find the another ? to do that ? with. im good!

look ? if you can't stand on your words with logic,sense and proof then you just talking ? , don't ? tell me i disrespected AA AND THEN when i ask you how you can't ? prove it.

I did not derail this thread if african americans are going to claim hip-hop as their culture than that claim need to be investigated. if it proves not to be true then it's a false claim.

I have a BA in History from Hampton University. to be a historian u must be a critical and logical thinker. you are discussing...no we all are discussing things here that can be answered by simply opening up a new tab and doing a search. you can go to a library and find the answers. the history of hip hop is well documented. we were told that knowing dates was cool but the question to ask is always why? if you ask yourself why was hip hop created you will understand the reason hip hop is considered to be african american. now take your logical, sensible, proof wanting ass somewhere and read a ? book ? .

The only reason hip-hop is considered to be african american is because all art and culture that originates from blacks in america is erroneously assumed to be the sole creation of african americans. much the same way the white culture in this nation just assumes all black people are the same the mainstream culture just assumed that all black art in america is only african american.

i asked why was hip hop created and this is us response? u just jumped straight to a conclusion. u didnt show your work or anything else. imma have to give u a D+ for this assignment. i would give u a F but i gave you points for determination.

be easy and enjoy the rest of ur night

LOL @ SHOW my work ? this is not a math class it's not a class period because you are not teaching ?

Hip-hop was created because poor black people wanted to express themselves and have fun the melting ? of various black and hispanic people created hip-hop in nyc .

shame on u for thinking work is only shown in math. life is a class. u can always learn something new.

the kid from south america mentioned Bam to u and u went in on him. u didnt try to understand where he was coming from at all. u are way too concerned with proving ur points. u are so stuck on being right that it limits u. ur one of those dudes who knows a lil about a lot and think u know it all. like ghost said...i hate smart dumb ? . i asked u a simple question and u made sure u said things like melting ? .. black and hispanic. i never said u were right or u were wrong. i said explore the why. continue to explore the why and it will help u understand.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? like "African Americans have no culture"but every time I turn around I see white folks sectioning our ? off from theirs

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

But ? don't have culture because of..rites of passage? ? what are Chinese rights or passage? What are Japanese rights of passage? Russian, English, Irish etc very few societies still focus on that archaic ? .

But it doesn't matter because just like white folks think these weirdo ? believe Blacks in America have never done anything...ever. Anything we have ever done is attributed to either Africa, Whites or some Islanders even if its a massive ? reach. Lol

african americans do have a culture but you did not create hip-hop by yourself there is no reach in that it's just the reality of history.

How you gonna take credit or give credit to other people for something that took place in NEW YORK by NEW YORKERS? You people who are immersed in the culture of the city of NEW YORK.

? what??? hispanics and west indians were immersed in the culture of nyc at the time hip-hop was coming together

what are you trying to say.
  • zzombie
    Options
    the cultural studies have been done about African Americans. the world agrees its a very real culture. a few here don't. examples of a language, traditions, customs, beliefs, and habits are there. some have been talked about and some have not. the focus in this thread has been music.

OG is correct...y'all really don't wanna give AA credit for anything. someone else started it or they heavily influenced it. unique culture? there is no such thing anywhere. all cultures take from somewhere.

here is a really ? up thing about African Americans. we are the only people who enjoy breaking down our people. we will even sit around and applaud other people for breaking us down.

That's ? i already have AA'S CREDIT for alot of ? but hip-hop did not come together only under african american hands.

blues, jazz,soul etc etc nobody can take that away from you that's clearly yours and everybody on the planet loves those art forms. Not to mention that in my mind the greatest black writers have been african american BUT hip-hop was really a coming together of different blacks

nah ? u have took plenty of shots at us. to be honest the way y'all just kept going back and forth about hip hop was a great thread derail and straight disrespectful to the African american culture.

? .. the whole hip hop discussion was disrespectful. u aint add anything to this damn thread. u been on some AA's aint create hip hop since like page 2. now u wanna derail the thread again on some quote me kiddie ? ?

it's disrespectful telling you the truth??? what you want me to say that african american by themselves created hip-hop culture even through there is more than enough proof that that is not the truth. the real disrespect would be me lying to you. ? always want to bring up ? then when what to back down from it

I have no idea what the phrase back down means. I don't play games either. the hip hop back and forth was straight trash. a real ? move to derail this thread. u had nothing of value to add to this discussion.

I said carry on. I also said im good. I don't ? with certain types of ? . u one of ? that cant be told ? . y'all know everything. its no reason for me to go back and forth with u. find the another ? to do that ? with. im good!

look ? if you can't stand on your words with logic,sense and proof then you just talking ? , don't ? tell me i disrespected AA AND THEN when i ask you how you can't ? prove it.

I did not derail this thread if african americans are going to claim hip-hop as their culture than that claim need to be investigated. if it proves not to be true then it's a false claim.

I have a BA in History from Hampton University. to be a historian u must be a critical and logical thinker. you are discussing...no we all are discussing things here that can be answered by simply opening up a new tab and doing a search. you can go to a library and find the answers. the history of hip hop is well documented. we were told that knowing dates was cool but the question to ask is always why? if you ask yourself why was hip hop created you will understand the reason hip hop is considered to be african american. now take your logical, sensible, proof wanting ass somewhere and read a ? book ? .

The only reason hip-hop is considered to be african american is because all art and culture that originates from blacks in america is erroneously assumed to be the sole creation of african americans. much the same way the white culture in this nation just assumes all black people are the same the mainstream culture just assumed that all black art in america is only african american.

i asked why was hip hop created and this is us response? u just jumped straight to a conclusion. u didnt show your work or anything else. imma have to give u a D+ for this assignment. i would give u a F but i gave you points for determination.

LOL @ SHOW my work ? this is not a math class it's not a class period because you are not teaching ?

Hip-hop was created because poor black people wanted to express themselves and have fun the melting ? of various black and hispanic people created hip-hop in nyc .

shame on u for thinking work is only shown in math. life is a class. u can always learn something new.

the kid from south america mentioned Bam to u and u went in on him. u didnt try to understand where he was coming from at all. u are way too concerned with proving ur points. u are so stuck on being right that it limits u. ur one of those dudes who knows a lil about a lot and think u know it all. like ghost said...i hate smart dumb ? . i asked u a simple question and u made sure u said things like melting ? .. black and hispanic. i never said u were right or u were wrong. i said explore the why. continue to explore the why and it will help u understand.

I went in one him only after he got disrespectful without being able to prove his point this whole BAM CREATED hip-hop mythology ends to die. dude being all the way in brazil and spitting back that myth as truth is more reason for me to crush that myth.

when someone is wrong the only thing you can learn from them is why they are wrong so you don't fall into the same hole.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

? what??? hispanics and west indians were immersed in the culture of nyc at the time hip-hop was coming together

What that got to do with anything? ? been rapping and beat boxing and doing graffiti for decades before hip-hop was even considered its own subculture, you confusing people helping to popularize it with creating it. People took things to the next level but they didn't create it.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you ever said some ? like

"That's white ppl type ? " then you would know that AA have our own culture.
  • zzombie
    Options

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

What that got to do with anything? ? been rapping and beat boxing and doing graffiti for decades before hip-hop was even considered its own subculture, you confusing people helping to popularize it with creating it. People took things to the next level but they didn't create it.

Rap Is a certain style of poetry not just spitting poetry over music.

Who created hip-hop a bunch of different people and nationalities in NYC. There's a difference between graffiti and hip-hop graffiti. There's a difference between a dj and a hip-hop deejay. There's a difference between acrobatic dancing and break dancing.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what I've noticed in this thread is one or two Black Americans speaking down on Africans while the Africans have been more or less cordial and respectful in their responses.

And then they say Africans are the haters LOL.

I'm Nigerian and have been a HipHop fan since I was 10 years old. It's origins haven't nullified my love for the culture

My screen name recognises one of the greatest HipHop producers in history

The silly divisions really need to stop
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    So what I've noticed in this thread is one or two Black Americans speaking down on Africans while the Africans have been more or less cordial and respectful in their responses.

I'm Nigerian and have been a HipHop fan since I was 10 years old. It's origins haven't nullified my love for the culture

Maybe its a part of our "culture" for some of us AA to be disrespectful.

Haha
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Haha

Alot of yall sound no different than cacs ehen it comes to other types of black peopld
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Haha

Alot of yall sound no different than cacs ehen it comes to other types of black peopld

Apparently that's a part of OUR culture, and I'm a self hating ? for questioning it....

Hmm
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

I'll check this out when I get home.

@Judge_Judah you watch the video yet?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

I'll check this out when I get home.

@Judge_Judah you watch the video yet?

I knew there was something I forgot....

• wugag
    wugag Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Options

Haha

Word reading this thread this ? crazy some of yall ride harder on other black ppl than yall do white supremacy/supremacist, which is Cointel pro 101. "Barefoot island rat" like really sound like some white boy ? you would find on one of those white supremacy boards.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    edited December 2015
    Options
    wugag wrote: »

Haha

Word reading this thread this ? crazy some of yall ride harder on other black ppl than yall do white supremacy/supremacist, which is Cointel pro 101. "Barefoot island rat" like really sound like some white boy ? you would find on one of those white supremacy boards.

Yeah...that shouldn't have happened. It wasn't the intention of this thread.

And while I have my reservations when it comes to what I consider unique "culture" , any of you posters who want to post informative articles or videos that illustrate AA culture over the last few decades feel free to do so.

It doesn't only have to be about debating.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

I went in one him only after he got disrespectful without being able to prove his point this whole BAM CREATED hip-hop mythology ends to die. dude being all the way in brazil and spitting back that myth as truth is more reason for me to crush that myth.

when someone is wrong the only thing you can learn from them is why they are wrong so you don't fall into the same hole.

if a group of scientist from all different backgrounds get together and make a bomb does it belong to the world or to the people who needed the bomb and employed the group? why would a group of people want to express themselves in basements and backyards? why did the dj come before the mc? were herc and others assimilated into African American culture?

it is very easy to read names and remember dates. ur having a discussion about ownership and not addressing the why. u not addressing the need. ur not addressing what defines ownership. is ownership a based off of creation? does it belong to the gatekeepers (and this is where Bam comes in)? can creativity be sold and if so did people from other backgrounds sell it to the AA community? what vision did these guys have in the beginning (which goes right back to the why was it created)?

the questions are endless and u keep failing to answer any of them. u are one of them I love to debate ? but ur always saying a whole lotta nuffin.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? ? pop ? about african americans until yall blue in the face then act all surprised when we clap back, ? yall ?
  • semi-auto-mato
    edited December 2015
    Options
    here is a video that I watched and found interesting. a regular chick asked questions and giving her honest answers. I agreed with some and disagreed with other stuff. I loved her honesty. my favorite quote....What? I never thought of myself as not having a culture.

https://youtu.be/YvdnUqjXuP4
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can show pride in yourself and your culture without dissing others thats insecure af
  • wugag
    wugag Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? ? pop ? about african americans until yall blue in the face then act all surprised when we clap back, ? yall ?
    Brah who did that or doing that
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Tragedy1
    Tragedy1 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

I haven't kept up with the thread but I would assume that hip hop culture, or at the very least hip hop music, stems from 'ethnic' black American culture and music (ie. soul and funk), despite individual West Indians being influential, even crucial, to it's origin. The ethnic background of some of hip hop's founding fathers wouldn't necessarily mean that the actual music or style they produced stemmed from W.I culture and not B.A culture. Not that I've done heavy research on the issue nor do I particularly care one way or the other. I could create a new genre of music that's rooted in Chinese and Japanese traditional music and it wouldn't necessarily be considered 'African' music just because I'm an ethnic African. You could be right, though. Either way, no one debating this had anything to do with it.

What does it's genesis look like?

I think it was developed by 18th century African slaves in the American South.

Has it influenced any other cultures around the world? Or has AA culture been influenced by other cultures in any way?

I think it has African (mostly West African but some of the slaves came from the Congo/Angola region), English and Scots-Irish influence (because, if I'm not mistaken, Southern culture in general was developed by English and Scots-Irish settlers. I'm not a history expert, though, and I've always wondered if there's some African influence on mainstream Southern culture, like there seems to be in some mainstream Latino cultures, and maybe Native American influence or other Europeans cultures as well). I remember hearing somewhere that modern B.A.E is rooted largely in some old English dialect.
    How has it evolved over time?

Don't all cultures evolve?

You can show pride in yourself and your culture without dissing others thats insecure af

I think ethnic pride is good in and of itself (because it's a form of happiness) but for indirect reasons, I think it might be a bad idea (you can be pro-universal empathy and proud of your ethnicity but you're probably less likely to be if you see yourself first and foremost as a member of your ethnic group and not just as a person or a sentient being) . This wouldn't be my argument against it but, either way, I think it's irrational to pride yourself on something you had no control over unless by 'pride' you just mean you're happy about it. Even legitimate 'pride' (high self-esteem) can be a problem.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zzombie
    Options
    Tragedy1 wrote: »

The BLACK church
    "Urban" radio
    BLACK english
    "Urban" wear
    HBCUs
    BLACK History
    "Urban" Art
    Soul Food

I haven't kept up with the thread but I would assume that hip hop culture, or at the very least hip hop music, stems from 'ethnic' black American culture and music (ie. soul and funk), despite individual West Indians being influential, even crucial, to it's origin. The ethnic background of some of hip hop's founding fathers wouldn't necessarily mean that the actual music or style they produced stemmed from W.I culture and not B.A culture. Not that I've done heavy research on the issue nor do I particularly care one way or the other. I could create a new genre of music that's rooted in Chinese and Japanese traditional music and it wouldn't necessarily be considered 'African' music just because I'm an ethnic African. You could be right, though. Either way, no one debating this had anything to do with it.

What does it's genesis look like?

I think it was developed by 18th century African slaves in the American South.

Has it influenced any other cultures around the world? Or has AA culture been influenced by other cultures in any way?

I think it has African (mostly West African but some of the slaves came from the Congo/Angola region), English and Scots-Irish influence (because, if I'm not mistaken, Southern culture in general was developed by English and Scots-Irish settlers. I'm not a history expert, though, and I've always wondered if there's some African influence on mainstream Southern culture, like there seems to be in some mainstream Latino cultures, and maybe Native American influence or other Europeans cultures as well). I remember hearing somewhere that modern B.A.E is rooted largely in some old English dialect.
    How has it evolved over time?

Don't all cultures evolve?

I think ethnic pride is good in and of itself (because it's a form of happiness) but for indirect reasons, I think it might be a bad idea (you can be pro-universal empathy and proud of your ethnicity but you're probably less likely to be if you see yourself first and foremost as a member of your ethnic group and not just as a person or a sentient being) . This wouldn't be my argument against it but, either way, I think it's irrational to pride yourself on something you had no control over unless by 'pride' you just mean you're happy about it. Even legitimate 'pride' (high self-esteem) can be a problem.

You are making the same mistake other people have made in this thread by confusing music with culture THE musical aspects of hip-hop are ? and deejaying. The ? is basically african american but the innovation in deejaying that sets hip-hop deejays apart from for example disco deejays is heavily influenced by west indian people living in america. FROM the actually equipment that the deejays used to the innovation of the style of play.

so what i am say is that what they played was AA MUSIC but how they played it that was a collaboration and this collaboration is doubly so in some of the other art forms that make up hip-hop expression. if you are african and are making traditional chinese music then it's chinese. However if you take that music and play it in your own african way and use your own african techniques to play it then it's no longer tradtional chinese music
  • Tragedy1
    Tragedy1 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options
    I could be wrong. Maybe rapping and other elements of hip hop did evolve from Jamaican toasting.
    ^^Unbuntu?

No, Tragedy.